North America

How much do you love this stuff?

Moderator: Mods

Which North American country has the greatest population density

Antigua and Barbuda
0
No votes
Bahamas
0
No votes
Barbados
3
21%
Belize
0
No votes
Canada
0
No votes
Coolangatta
0
No votes
Costa Rica
0
No votes
Cuba
0
No votes
Dominica
0
No votes
Dominican Republic
1
7%
El Salvador
1
7%
Grenada
0
No votes
Guatemala
0
No votes
Haiti
4
29%
Honduras
0
No votes
Jamaica
0
No votes
Mexico
3
21%
Nicaragua
0
No votes
Panama
0
No votes
Saint Kitts and Nevis
0
No votes
Saint Lucia
0
No votes
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
0
No votes
Trinidad and Tobago
0
No votes
United States
1
7%
Wales
1
7%
 
Total votes: 14
User avatar
Caravan Ray
poopbutt
Posts: 8011
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: North America

Postby Caravan Ray » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Hoblit wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Taiwan is not part of North America


...therefore missing my point entirely.

Actually, I have to think that you got my point and are still disagreeing without dragging on the argument, and I can appreciate that. :-)

Exactly.

If I were to carry on the argument - I may raise the question that if sovereignity plays no role in determining whether a particular geographical area is a "country" or not, then surely Manhattan with a population density of 27,000 person per km2 may be a candidate for the most densely populated arbitrarily chosen piece of North America. Or one of the inner suburbs of Mexico City perhaps.




...LORD PALMERSTON!!!!!!!
Eric Y.
Zora
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:36 pm

Re: North America

Postby Eric Y. » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:12 am

Hoblit wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:I disagree.
Bermuda is not a "country".
That is lame. A country doesn't have to be sovereign to be considered a country.
Hell, I know a few Puerto Ricans that would like to argue with you for that matter.
There are probably also people in Hawaii that might disagree with you. But that doesn't make it less of a state, or Puerto Rico less of a territory. Neither of them should be considered a country.
User avatar
Me$$iah
Fortune Teller
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever
Location: Son of God - Im like EVERYWHERE

Re: North America

Postby Me$$iah » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:32 am

Damn .... Freedom for Wales

Throw off the English oppresors.


Actally, Wales is not, nor never has been a member of the United Kingdom. Unlike the other constituent parts Wales never signed up to the Act of Union. Wales is indeed an occupied nation. However the education system in the UK avoids this utterly, so most of the people dont know and just accept the situation. Like in the USA most people consider it to be a democracy, despite the fact that it specifically is not. Education, or indocrination, seems to be the rule here.
As Orwell wrote ..." he who controls the present controls the past, and he that controls the past controls the future.."
User avatar
Niveous
Princess Zelda
Posts: 6591
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:45 am
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, acoustic guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Location: Sunnyside, NY
Contact:

Re: North America

Postby Niveous » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Okay, so Bermuda would not be listed as a country by the 8 rules of countryship:
1. Has space or territory that has internationally recognized boundaries (boundary disputes are OK).
2. Has people who live there on an ongoing basis.
3. Has economic activity and an organized economy. A country regulates foreign and domestic trade and issues money.
4. Has the power of social engineering, such as education.
5. Has a transportation system for moving goods and people.
6. Has a government that provides public services and police power.
7. Has sovereignty. No other State should have power over the country's territory.
8. Has external recognition. A country has been "voted into the club" by other countries.

So Barbados is the best answer but does it really matter when the list of choices includes Coolangatta & Wales?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
User avatar
Hoblit
Notable Hylian
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida Where old people come to die.
Contact:

Re: North America

Postby Hoblit » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:47 pm

OK...I get it it, I really do. I just think its kind of silly.If I'm visiting Puerto Rico I'm not visiting another country.

I'm just visiting another place vastly different (er... maybe not that vastly different) from Florida.

So when I'm in Northern Ireland, I'll be sure to let them know that I just love their quaint little corner of the United Kingdom.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
poopbutt
Posts: 8011
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: North America

Postby Caravan Ray » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Niveous wrote:So Barbados is the best answer but does it really matter when the list of choices includes Coolangatta & Wales?

I've got no problems with Coolangatta being part of North America. We don't really need it in Queensland. And I suspect that most English people would feel the same about Wales. Take them, they're yours. Enjoy.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
poopbutt
Posts: 8011
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: North America

Postby Caravan Ray » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Hoblit wrote:OK...I get it it, I really do. I just think its kind of silly.If I'm visiting Puerto Rico I'm not visiting another country.

I'm just visiting another place vastly different (er... maybe not that vastly different) from Florida..

Isn't Alaska "another place vastly different from Florida"? You can see Russia from there! Apparently.


Hoblit wrote:So when I'm in Northern Ireland, I'll be sure to let them know that I just love their quaint little corner of the United Kingdom.



Yes -that would be the best option:
According to a 2007 opinion poll, 66% express long term preference of the maintenance of Northern Ireland's membership of the United Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

It is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after all
User avatar
Caravan Ray
poopbutt
Posts: 8011
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: North America

Postby Caravan Ray » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Me$$iah wrote:Damn .... Freedom for Wales

Throw off the English oppresors.


Actally, Wales is not, nor never has been a member of the United Kingdom. Unlike the other constituent parts Wales never signed up to the Act of Union. Wales is indeed an occupied nation. However the education system in the UK avoids this utterly, so most of the people dont know and just accept the situation. Like in the USA most people consider it to be a democracy, despite the fact that it specifically is not. Education, or indocrination, seems to be the rule here.
As Orwell wrote ..." he who controls the present controls the past, and he that controls the past controls the future.."


I like how the team that represents the England and Wales Cricket Board is always referred to as "England", not "England and Wales". The Welsh are very wise to distance themselves from that mob!

Return to “Silly Polls”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest