How often do you charge your cell phone?

How much do you love this stuff?

Constantly
5%
>1x per day
16%
1x per day (e.g. overnight)
42%
1x per >1 day (e.g. every 2-3 days)
26%
I don't have a cell phone you jerk!
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes: 19
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm curious about how often people charge their cell phones. Also, for those who answer the poll, it would be interesting if you provided some general info about how you use your phone (talk, data, gps, games, photos, etc.) and how much you use it.

I'm not really a heavy cell phone user. I hardly use it for calls. I use it for data (Web, email, etc.) and texting more often. I use Google Maps and directions and navigation a lot. I play a few games on it.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: How often do you charge your cell phone?

Post by Caravan Ray »

I was given a web phone at work but I don't understand how it works and I hate carrying it so it sits in my desk and goes flat in about 2 days - which pisses off people at work who call it because I never check the messages because it is always flat.

So I took the SIM out and put it in an old 'no-frills' phone. It seems to last about 2 weeks sitting in my desk before going flat.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

i probably charge my iphone every other night, though after a couple of years, it is starting to be more often. Also, I am playing Plants vs. Zombies all the time on my phone, so it kind of runs down the battery faster.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Mine can last for 2-3 days w/o charging, but I usually charge every night. PROTIP: Keep the brightness on low so that it lasts longer.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I don't care how long it actually lasts. Every night seems to be the easiest habit to get into. How do you remember to do something every other night? (did I do it last night...?)
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

My usage is like yours: data, texting, maps and music. Usually every night is fine, but if I need 4G, GPS or I'm on long conference calls, I need to charge mid-day as well. My iPhone lasted two days with far more usage (cranking music, YouTube, and just using it more than the Android that I now sort of neglect).
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

I'm another one of those people who would be happy not to have one at all... in 1999, when I was working at Motorola, they gave us all cell phones so we could be on call for Y2K. Got to turn it back in after the world also survived leap year (was it? wasn't it?). I got another one when we moved my mom to Arizona in '06, as the emergency number in case my mom hit her lifeline button and we weren't at home, but I think that only happened once. Pretty much the only thing I really used it for was taking cruddy cell-phone pictures of stuff, and even at $20 every three months (Virgin Mobile), the balance just kept growing and growing. I was able to make a donation to "Idol Gives Back" but never could get it to work for a Red Cross donation.

After five years (i.e., earlier this year), it finally got to where the charge only held for about two minutes when I turned it on, so I got a new $20 phone that was as good as the $100 one I bought last time... it takes pictures, it makes and receives calls, mostly. It's not even turned on a lot of the time, so I'd say I charge it every two weeks or so. I did read that the first two or three cycles on the battery are especially important, so I made a point of running it all the way down before charging.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

About once every three or four weeks. Suffice to say I don't use it a lot (but it's always on). And it doesn't have a colour display. Nor a camera. It's a phone. I can call people with it. That was a lot of sentences. I guess I can stop now.
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

my iphone lasts 2 days unless i crack out to some video game... then it lasts about 6 hours
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I charge my iPhone 3G every night in a dock on my nightstand as it acts as my alarm clock (I also have a little battery alarm clock as a backup...) but I mainly use my phone for texting, email, google, etc... rarely for phone calls (even though it's also my "land line") or other stuff...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Spud wrote:I don't care how long it actually lasts. Every night seems to be the easiest habit to get into. How do you remember to do something every other night? (did I do it last night...?)
Same here. Sometimes I'll forget to charge it one night and it'll be fine since my phone will usually last most of the next day (and these days most phones are chargeable by USB so it's not like it's hard to find a charger) but I prefer to just charge it regularly.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

After I got my LG Thrill, battery life was an issue. I had to charge it overnight, and I had to buy a separate USB cable so I could charge it at work, too, so twice a day. Then I found an app called JuiceDefender, and I can now make it safely two days without changing my usage patterns at all. I still charge it overnight every night just in case.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
freff
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards... oh wait, you said "proficient."
Recording Method: Garageband, Logic, Fostex 24 track
Submitting as: Jeff DeSantis, The F.U. Milburys

Post by freff »

I have an iPhone. So daily, if not more.