Song Fight! Live 2020 Berkeley CANCELLED

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
fluffy
Grace
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Song Fight! Live 2020 SF Bay Area Aug 28/29

Post by fluffy »

For solo streams on twitch:

easiest: run the twitch.tv app on your phone, get cruddy audio and video. at least put your phone on a tripod.

recommended low-ish effort: run your audio (mics, guitar, etc.) into a mixer into your audio interface, run the twitch app or OBS on your computer, stream away

For other streaming setups (facebook, youtube, restreamer, etc.):

run your audio (mics, guitar, etc.) into a mixer into your audio interface, run OBS on your computer, stream away

The hard part is configuring OBS with your camera and audio, and that's very system-dependent but it's also pretty straightforward.

Basically if you have any interest in participating in a livestream concert, get yourself a twitch or YouTube account, and install OBS, and experiment. Do it now, don't wait until the day of the thing.
Lunkhead
Ozzy
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

JB, we've got a Help and How To thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11822

fluffy has generously provided lots of great info there already too.
Lunkhead
Ozzy

Post by Lunkhead »

OK folks. We have made the unsurprising but sad decision to cancel Song Fight! Live #20 2020 in Berkeley. Due to the pandemic it will not be possible to hold an in-real-life event like the ones we've had in the past. We hope to put together an online event in its place. Stay tuned for details. ❤️❤️❤️
jack
David
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Re: Song Fight! Live 2020 Berkeley CANCELLED

Post by jack »

So here's kind of a nutty idea/compromise. Song Fight! "Kind of Live" 2020. Anyone who wants to participate submits a video of say 20 minutes or less of them doing a live performance of their "set" to someone (say Sam). Sam collects all the videos and uploads them to a dedicated YouTube channel for this purpose on a certain announced day. Just like Song Fight! is now. We all watch each others performances and leave comments.

Benefits: It's pretty easy. Anyone can shoot themselves with a smart phone and email the video.

Cons: It's not "live" as in "real time live" (but it's still a "live" performance).

You can even do a live fight. Put a title out and have people record their live fight version on their set (or separately) and send it in.

Could be pretty fun! People can record their set anywhere they want. Neil Young did a recent set from his chicken coop.
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." - Mark Twain
Lunkhead
Ozzy

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, we're brainstorming a bunch of ideas. Anybody who's interested in actually following through on helping to organize something please DM me and/or Ken about it. I set up a thread here too for checking if folks would want to participate in an online event, and if so, how, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11845
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jack wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm
So here's kind of a nutty idea/compromise. Song Fight! "Kind of Live" 2020. Anyone who wants to participate submits a video of say 20 minutes or less of them doing a live performance of their "set" to someone (say Sam). Sam collects all the videos and uploads them to a dedicated YouTube channel for this purpose on a certain announced day. Just like Song Fight! is now. We all watch each others performances and leave comments.

Benefits: It's pretty easy. Anyone can shoot themselves with a smart phone and email the video.

Cons: It's not "live" as in "real time live" (but it's still a "live" performance).

You can even do a live fight. Put a title out and have people record their live fight version on their set (or separately) and send it in.

Could be pretty fun! People can record their set anywhere they want. Neil Young did a recent set from his chicken coop.
That's not bad. I would be in that. Probably better than trying actual live - which with timezones and such would probably involve me having to get out of bed at 3am in the Toowoomba winter
Lunkhead
Ozzy

Post by Lunkhead »

Cool, please reply in the other thread I linked to where I'm asking people to say if they'd be interested or not in participating in a (still very hypothetical) online Song Fight Live.