Song Fight! Live 2017 lodging

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Song Fight! Live 2017 lodging

Post by Lunkhead »

I was reading the hosting FAQ and saw a mention of advising folks about lodging. Here are my thoughts:

The venue is a short relatively safe walk from the Ashby BART station, so if you stay somewhere near BART you can probably get to the venue without too much hassle. The rehearsal space is in Oakland in Jack London Square, a short maybe not so safe walk from the West Oakland BART station. You probably would want to Lyft/Uber/etc. from that station to the rehearsal space, especially if you're carrying gear with you.

I recommend staying in Berkeley, Oakland, or Emeryville for maximum convenience to the venue and rehearsal space. If you're going to stay in SF, try to stay near a BART station, which are all on the East side of the city. If you're not near BART, I would again recommend Lyft/Uber/etc. to get you to BART. There are soooo many drivers for those services around, it's kind of ridiculous. You can take those services across the Bay too but then things get a bit expensive. Alternatively if you want to rent a car to get yourself around, that'd be fine, just beware that people here are horrible horrible drivers. :)

I strongly recommend checking out AirBnB, particularly if you're able to go in on a larger place with some folks. Otherwise, if you're looking for hotels, options in Berkeley are not super great. You might have better luck in Emeryville, which is a short ride/drive away from Berkeley/Oakland. If you look for hotels in Oakland I'd recommend downtown or down near the marina, although you have to watch out, some of the places down that part of town are supposed to be pretty shite. Definitely check Yelp and/or TripAdvisor reviews before you book. SF has way more options hotel of all sorts (funky, fancy, cheap, expensive, kitschy, slick, etc.).
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Re: Song Fight! Live 2017 lodging

Post by roymond »

BART seems to stop running around midnight, no? I guess it’ll be Lyft back to the Castro.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Song Fight! Live 2017 lodging

Post by Lunkhead »

Oh right, yeah, excellent point. The last train back to SF is around 12:00-12:30am. Shows at the Plough don't usually go super late, though, so it's conceivable we'll be done in time for folks to catch the last train. But if you miss it ride hailing apps are insanely popular here and there are tons of cars around all the time.