Song Fight! Live 2020 Berkeley CANCELLED

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Song Fight! Live 2020 SF Bay Area Aug 28/29

Post by fluffy »

For solo streams on twitch:

easiest: run the twitch.tv app on your phone, get cruddy audio and video. at least put your phone on a tripod.

recommended low-ish effort: run your audio (mics, guitar, etc.) into a mixer into your audio interface, run the twitch app or OBS on your computer, stream away

For other streaming setups (facebook, youtube, restreamer, etc.):

run your audio (mics, guitar, etc.) into a mixer into your audio interface, run OBS on your computer, stream away

The hard part is configuring OBS with your camera and audio, and that's very system-dependent but it's also pretty straightforward.

Basically if you have any interest in participating in a livestream concert, get yourself a twitch or YouTube account, and install OBS, and experiment. Do it now, don't wait until the day of the thing.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

JB, we've got a Help and How To thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11822

fluffy has generously provided lots of great info there already too.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK folks. We have made the unsurprising but sad decision to cancel Song Fight! Live #20 2020 in Berkeley. Due to the pandemic it will not be possible to hold an in-real-life event like the ones we've had in the past. We hope to put together an online event in its place. Stay tuned for details. ❤️❤️❤️
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Re: Song Fight! Live 2020 Berkeley CANCELLED

Post by jack »

So here's kind of a nutty idea/compromise. Song Fight! "Kind of Live" 2020. Anyone who wants to participate submits a video of say 20 minutes or less of them doing a live performance of their "set" to someone (say Sam). Sam collects all the videos and uploads them to a dedicated YouTube channel for this purpose on a certain announced day. Just like Song Fight! is now. We all watch each others performances and leave comments.

Benefits: It's pretty easy. Anyone can shoot themselves with a smart phone and email the video.

Cons: It's not "live" as in "real time live" (but it's still a "live" performance).

You can even do a live fight. Put a title out and have people record their live fight version on their set (or separately) and send it in.

Could be pretty fun! People can record their set anywhere they want. Neil Young did a recent set from his chicken coop.
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, we're brainstorming a bunch of ideas. Anybody who's interested in actually following through on helping to organize something please DM me and/or Ken about it. I set up a thread here too for checking if folks would want to participate in an online event, and if so, how, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11845
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jack wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm
So here's kind of a nutty idea/compromise. Song Fight! "Kind of Live" 2020. Anyone who wants to participate submits a video of say 20 minutes or less of them doing a live performance of their "set" to someone (say Sam). Sam collects all the videos and uploads them to a dedicated YouTube channel for this purpose on a certain announced day. Just like Song Fight! is now. We all watch each others performances and leave comments.

Benefits: It's pretty easy. Anyone can shoot themselves with a smart phone and email the video.

Cons: It's not "live" as in "real time live" (but it's still a "live" performance).

You can even do a live fight. Put a title out and have people record their live fight version on their set (or separately) and send it in.

Could be pretty fun! People can record their set anywhere they want. Neil Young did a recent set from his chicken coop.
That's not bad. I would be in that. Probably better than trying actual live - which with timezones and such would probably involve me having to get out of bed at 3am in the Toowoomba winter
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Cool, please reply in the other thread I linked to where I'm asking people to say if they'd be interested or not in participating in a (still very hypothetical) online Song Fight Live.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I know times are hard, but, if anybody here is fortunate enough to be doing well and have a few bucks to spare, the Berkeley venue that was going to host Song Fight! Live this year, and that hosted it back in 2017, is on the ropes and could use some help.

https://gf.me/u/x93khq

Government subsidies haven't panned out the way they were hoping and they have a GoFundMe up for anyone who has the ability to support them.
We are not giving up but things are not looking good. Please help by sharing this page and reaching out to the city of Berkeley to convince city officials that we are just as important to artists in our community as other venues and art organizations who received 90% more support from the city then we did. If they can give $24,000 dollars to dozens of organizations in the name of art they should be able to similarly support one of its oldest businesses and institutions who has provided a significant amount of art and culture to the community. We have provided free entertainment 4 days out of the week for 47 years and somehow could not be categorized as an arts organization and were only granted $2,500.00 to get through this pandemic when other venues were given $24,000.00. We have never asked for a handout from the city until now and we feel the city can and should do more then offer us a loan especially after helping so many others with 90% more support in grants. Please help us convince city officials they need to do more for one of its oldest institutions. If you have any advice or recommendations on promoting our gofundme or receiving more grants any ideas are greatly appreciated and even if you cannot donate please spread the word by sharing folks! THE STARRY PLOUGH NEEDS YOUR HELP!
https://www.facebook.com/StarryPlough/p ... 5596313092

When we had Song Fight Live there in 2017, not only did we have a great sound person who worked hard for us all weekend, they also let us leave our gear there iirc and generally were all around kind to us, and we even made a bunch of money at the shows which we were able to give to some local music education and Puerto Rico Hurricane Maria relief related charities. That wouldn't have happened without the neighborhood crowd and regulars at the Plough.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Since we're not able to do an IRL SongFight live, how about revisiting Niveous's idea for a HUGE SongFight. Art Bomb in 2013 got 40 artists in one fight. Maybe we could hit the magic 100 this time?

I'm proposing we reach out to all the old fogeys and get them back for one SuperFight, tied into a title we plan out a month or so in advance. So, say the last Fight in August is the target date. We put out the word to see if you still have something in the tank to do a song. It's crazy, but it just might work! It would also help get the word out for the Streaming Live weekend if the songs are due around the same time. It also might get more people into the live stream.

Thoughts?
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Optional challenge: Video
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

BoffoYux wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:21 pm
Since we're not able to do an IRL SongFight live, how about revisiting Niveous's idea for a HUGE SongFight. Art Bomb in 2013 got 40 artists in one fight. Maybe we could hit the magic 100 this time?

I'm proposing we reach out to all the old fogeys and get them back for one SuperFight, tied into a title we plan out a month or so in advance. So, say the last Fight in August is the target date. We put out the word to see if you still have something in the tank to do a song. It's crazy, but it just might work! It would also help get the word out for the Streaming Live weekend if the songs are due around the same time. It also might get more people into the live stream.

Thoughts?
Yes.
Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:33 pm
Optional challenge: Video
Yes. I like it... do it.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
micosaudad
A New Player
Submitting as: micosaudad

Post by micosaudad »

I think the idea of recruiting people for a massive (but normal) songfight is the way to go.
Certainly I would submit something to show my support, though neglected through the years.
Anything remote-live I doubt I would be able to contribute to successfully given my (---)skill and (----------)availability, despite my (++++)passion and (++++)enthusiasm.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Dude! Where you been?!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

FYI there is a plan being worked on and hopefully there will be an announcement soon-ish.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Lunkhead wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 am
FYI there is a plan being worked on and hopefully there will be an announcement soon-ish.
Cool. I was hoping things were moving forward for something. I'm not sure if I can be a help coordinating streams and such, but I'm willing to be in the mix for tech/distribution issues.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

We would absolutely love some help on that front, if you're available. I'll DM you. We're still working on things but the addition of more and more layers of crises in life at large is making things take longer.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I am also available to share my streaming expertise.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Excellent! Expect to be drafted to help. :)
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Did 4 years of live radio and tv production in the military. Glad to help on the master of ceremonies front, or video switching, etc.
🤠
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

I had the thought for 2 Songfight streams. One is a playlist of videos from artists that runs in a loop all weekend. The other is the live assist channel, with perhaps a DJ playing songs in between the scheduled artists, That way we could have a method to update viewers to any changes/graphic info.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I'll write a song if it'll help.
Hell, I'll even let you guys come up with the title!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face