Song Fight Live Online 2020

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Song Fight Live Online 2020

Post by Lunkhead »

If some kind of Song Fight Live Online happens for this year, who's going to perform? "Sign up" (no guarantees this will actually happen though) here.

We would potentially still have individual "sets" of some form, live or prerecord or something, as well as the "live fight" at the end, in some form TBD.

I think Merisan would do a set.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Song Fight Live Online 2020

Post by ujnhunter »

How would this work? I'm currently in contact with my better half about this possibility, but the logistics of this would probably entail one of us recording a live video and the other recording a live video to that and editing them together. Would this basically be a bunch of pre-recorded live videos streamed? Otherwise logistically it's kind of... difficult.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Probably there would be individual "sets" and it would end with the "live fight", per standard Song Fight! Live format, although exactly when those things would happen and how they would work is TBD. The live event is also about folks from the community interacting together in real time, rather than e.g. via the boards, so, it would be nice if some or all of an online version also involved folks interacting in real time, whether that's via chatting on a live stream of a live performance, chatting on a live stream of prerecorded material, getting on a Zoom like video conference, etc.

If you haven't been to a Song Fight Live before maybe check out the FAQ to get a better understanding of what they're normally like: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9658

Also we wouldn't necessarily have to have everyones' "sets" all work the same way, I guess. If some folks wanted to perform live on a live stream, great, if some folks would rather prerecord, cool, maybe we can at least set up a "watch party" type thing at a specific time for those, etc.

This is all still way way up in the air and just in a brainstorming, information gathering phase. But knowing who would want to participate and how they'd like to participate would be really helpful.
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

I am definitely interested in participating. I've been meaning to figure out some music livestreaming stuff and this would give me the needed motivation.

I do think that livestreaming would be preferable to having people pre-record video, both to get closer to a concert feel and because if I had the chance to re-record I think I would stress out more over trying to get the perfect take. But maybe that's just me.

People could pre-record their live fight entries and we could do a listening party like Tommy G hosts for Nur Ein and SpinTunes. Or we could do a Zoom (or whatever program) videoconference. Surely easier than trying to coordinate a dozen different three-minute independent livestreams.

I'm no expert on the technological aspect of this all though, so this post is mostly just to say: yes, I would definitely participate.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I would love to be in. Gotta figure out the logistics and plan around my pain shit, but other than that, yes. Very yes.

IN THE FUTURE OF 2020, ALL CONCERTS ARE ONLINE
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

Assuming the other event that was going to prevent me from making it this year is also cancelled for the same reason (as I strongly suspect it will be), I’m in!
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I’ll participate. I kind of like Jack’s prerecorded set idea because it gives us more control over the final result and sound, and allows folks in other time zones to participate. Streaming with two computers sounds like a nightmare to set up, but I’d be happy to try streaming on just one computer or my phone.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

To reiterate the two computer setup is just easier to explain how to set up than doing loopback audio on a computer. And I use it in my setup to free up computing resources so I don’t have Logic and OBS fighting for CPU since OBS is a CPU hog. If you’re just going to play an mp3 backing track or stick to live instruments or whatever there is no reason for a second computer.

The only reason I don’t try to explain the way to set up loopback audio for a stream is it’s INCREDIBLY hardware-specific.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

That said, a way that usually works (but might not be optimal) is to install BlackHole and follow its setup instructions. Note that this is currently Mac-only but they're working on a Windows version too.

But still, be warned, OBS takes A LOT of CPU, because it's doing a lot (capturing/resizing your video sources, encoding video in real time, etc.), and that'll be the case for any streaming setup. This is NOT something to set up the same day as the show itself. Install OBS and get a twitch or youtube account and experiment with running streams, and check the recordings to make sure the sound works right. The sooner you do this, the better. Even if the streaming setup were a magic black box, you still have to worry about tweaking your encoding settings to make sure you have enough CPU and bandwidth. It's one of those things where you need a lot of headroom; the minimum requirements are a hard requirement and anything that causes a dip below the minimum will cause problems on the stream. So you want to minimize the number of dips.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I don't think we would need to have a one-size-fits-all approach to how people contribute their sets.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh certainly, I think a prerecorded set can be okay. Personally I was planning on basically doing karaoke against prerecorded backing tracks. I do like the ability to at least somewhat interact with chat or whatever. But folks should do what they feel comfortable with above all else.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I would most likely participate in this. As long as I can also sell my merch. :P
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Just popping in to say that I would do my best to participate in a virtual SFL.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
neutronflow
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass, kazooka
Recording Method: Audacity, UMC404HD
Submitting as: Tim Hinkle

Post by neutronflow »

I would be interested in doing something.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Yes!!!!

I watch a lot of the "Socially Distant Fest" on Facebook (one of the only reasons I use FB now) and they're great. Mostly all live but many playing with backing tracks. We could use any combination including pre-recorded videos, with someone playing MC (...we know who that is!) between each performance.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Just did an Irish music workshop where all the instructors did little virtual sets together at the end. Worked really well.

Here's what I'm thinking: We're mostly multi-instrumentalists - instead of recording multiple video takes of ourselves playing various instruments, we cobble together a virtual band like we'd have to do at the live show. Say Roymond agrees to play guitar for me: I send him a track with everything but guitar muted. He records his audio and video to that track. Rinse and repeat for the other instruments. Eventually I have 4+ video tracks that get edited together.

If we want to preserve some sense of a live feel, we can have a master of ceremonies basically video-DJ the event, using OBS or something similar to run their own video and fire off the clips that the songfighters have sent in. Introduce the sets, color commentary, etc.

I know not everyone here has video editing capabilities - people like me can chip in to help where possible. Thoughts?

*Read roymond's post after writing my own. He gets it!
🤠
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Sober wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:16 pm
Here's what I'm thinking: We're mostly multi-instrumentalists - instead of recording multiple video takes of ourselves playing various instruments, we cobble together a virtual band like we'd have to do at the live show. Say Roymond agrees to play guitar for me: I send him a track with everything but guitar muted. He records his audio and video to that track. Rinse and repeat for the other instruments. Eventually I have 4+ video tracks that get edited together.
Yeah that’s an idea I’d briefly mentioned in one of the other threads somewhere as well. It’s a pretty straightforward idea, and you don’t even need to be that good at video to do the splitscreen thing, although I don’t know what cheap/easy software looks like for Windows (but on Mac I’m pretty sure iMovie can do it).

The hard part would probably be getting the tracks in sync and making sure everyone’s video is just their own part. Probably what makes sense is if each contributor’s part has the reference on one channel and their performance on the other, which would make the synchronization and mixing a lot easier, but that’s getting into difficult-for-people-who-don’t-do-this-already territory.
Sober wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:16 pm
If we want to preserve some sense of a live feel, we can have a master of ceremonies basically video-DJ the event, using OBS or something similar to run their own video and fire off the clips that the songfighters have sent in. Introduce the sets, color commentary, etc.
yeah JB and I were discussing this a few days ago. I’m glad to see this as something others are thinking about too, means it’s probably the way to go. :)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I've heard from coworkers putting together those kind of collab videos reecntly that iMovie has a relatively low limit on how many split screens you can have.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

It'd definitely be fun to have some folks do those kind of collab videos and debut then in Song Fight Live. That seems like it could be another format we could support as one of many ways folks could participate.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I'd be in, in some capacity. I have a few sneaky ideas.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

I would try to participate. I would probably only do the record and post video. I’m really having issues with the mountain (Computer) setup here.
Anyways, I think it could be fun. I haven’t played a live show in months.
Sayin’
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Count me in!