Song Fight! Live(Stream) - September 2020

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Song Fight! Live(Stream) - September 2020

Post by Lunkhead »

Maybe I could make a video for my fun-a-day song "Super Bloody Wolf Moon", could be Halloween themed.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

So this is just my opinion but I think the next logical step for this new Song Fight! video channel thing is to have someone do a themed weekly show, or monthly, or something "regular" (vs. "one off") people will ultimately subscribe to. For example, maybe someone does a monthly "Best Of Song Fight!" (like a DJ spinning tunes) of their personal favorite, curated tracks submitted that month. I think someone already does a video of the weekly tracks being played and plays the part of the "VJ" (sorry I can't remember who does this already). Or you could have a "Spud's Happy Hour" where Spud plays host to videos people send him. I think you get the idea. It needs show runners and themes.
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

BoffoYuxDudes does regular listening parties and the song fight channel now has a playlist of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0td9bqn ... Mhntx7kJIJ
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

If anybody wants to put something like that on, reach out to the fightmasters via DM or email.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Or you could have a "Spud's Happy Hour" where Spud plays host to videos people send him. I think you get the idea. It needs show runners and themes.
I have been wanting to get back in the game and looking for a way. I had fun doing the live show and making the voting widget. I have recently done a few tweaks to the home page, and you will see a few more in the next few weeks, nothing big, just some modernization around the edges. New vote button, little stuff like that.

I have a proposal for a SongFight! Radio Show that I wrote several years ago that I will revisit and see if it might work for this video format. I am sure with enough reworking, it would. Unlike the rest of you dudes (of all genders), I am nearly retired, and it would be fun.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

That would be awesome, Spud!

Also: Sent you a pm a few days ago.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Spud wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:49 am
Or you could have a "Spud's Happy Hour" where Spud plays host to videos people send him. I think you get the idea. It needs show runners and themes.
I have been wanting to get back in the game and looking for a way. I had fun doing the live show and making the voting widget. I have recently done a few tweaks to the home page, and you will see a few more in the next few weeks, nothing big, just some modernization around the edges. New vote button, little stuff like that.

I have a proposal for a SongFight! Radio Show that I wrote several years ago that I will revisit and see if it might work for this video format. I am sure with enough reworking, it would. Unlike the rest of you dudes (of all genders), I am nearly retired, and it would be fun.
I would subscribe and tune in to this!
Hi!
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

My humble suggestion: I think SF!L works and happens every year because we just need to convince one person a year to take it on. Whatever the format of a regular broadcast, it should be easy for any given volunteer to claim and execute an instance.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I mean other than: "merge a bunch of video clips together than people sent in" , how much else would there be to it?
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

There's being able to present the clips and it's also nice to be able to do it in a live setting so that you can interact with the chat. But styles can vary a lot; we tried it a few different ways during SF!L this year and while the actually-live presentation seemed to be the best-received, the couple of things that were edited in advance also went pretty well.

My advice for if you do an edited-in-advance show: make sure you have everything together at least a day in advance, because there's often going to be random technical challenges that get in the way of uploading a clean, final version of the show, and also if you're doing an advance edit you're going to want to do it as a premiere, not a stream, and you can't get the premiere URL until it's all uploaded, and it can't play until YouTube has had a chance to re-encode it (which can take a long time for longer videos).

At some point I'm intending to write up an article on what I learned from running behind-the-scenes tech on some of the live streams (and helping out with setup on the others). The setup isn't that difficult but there's a lot of things that are a bit surprising to folks who haven't done it before, especially if they aren't familiar with OBS. Plus a few tradeoffs you have to keep in mind when it comes to real-time interaction.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

The more articles the better. I'm a total noob. Of course if I just jumped in and tried shit then I'd probably learn faster.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:25 pm
I mean other than: "merge a bunch of video clips together than people sent in" , how much else would there be to it?
Oh my sweet, sweet dear boy.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Jefff wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:06 pm
My humble suggestion: I think SF!L works and happens every year because we just need to convince one person a year to take it on. Whatever the format of a regular broadcast, it should be easy for any given volunteer to claim and execute an instance.
Nevertheless, as did the early hosts of SF!L, someone needs to lead the way, create a flexible "template", and be available as the default host to ensure that it continues when there are no such volunteers. I am working (with others) on such a template, and am willing to be that default host. I will post details soon. I anticipate that there may be competing proposals, and I am not interested in stepping on any toes. If someone has a better proposal than mine, I will be all in favor of it.

*In anticipation of this role, or some other role within the project, yesterday I arranged to upgrade my internet 10X on downstream and 6X upstream.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

fluffy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:44 pm
At some point I'm intending to write up an article on what I learned from running behind-the-scenes tech on some of the live streams (and helping out with setup on the others). The setup isn't that difficult but there's a lot of things that are a bit surprising to folks who haven't done it before, especially if they aren't familiar with OBS. Plus a few tradeoffs you have to keep in mind when it comes to real-time interaction.
You were the glue this year that kept the tech all together, Fluffy. Thank you for hold our hands on Night #4 - My original plans and your ideas were 180 degrees different, and your thoughts were the best approach and made for a much cleaner show.

I didn't even panic when my confidence monitor laptop decided to force a Windows update going out of the 1st host block. We just rolled with it, and it all came back by block 2.

Looking forward to having a step by step in print to refer to for more of these.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

jb wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:34 pm
sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:25 pm
Oh my sweet, sweet dear boy.
Welcome to my day job. You don't know what you don't know, until someone tells you how they want it and when.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Spud wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:35 pm
Nevertheless, as did the early hosts of SF!L, someone needs to lead the way, create a flexible "template", and be available as the default host to ensure that it continues when there are no such volunteers. I am working (with others) on such a template, and am willing to be that default host. I will post details soon. I anticipate that there may be competing proposals, and I am not interested in stepping on any toes. If someone has a better proposal than mine, I will be all in favor of it.

*In anticipation of this role, or some other role within the project, yesterday I arranged to upgrade my internet 10X on downstream and 6X upstream.
Hard agree. As for competing proposals... Anyone with an idea and the follow-through to try it will certainly get their chance eventually.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

You know in Shanghai we used to have the big Halloween bash at a local underground rock club, doing shows where local bands would do the tribute thing, full on costumes, etc. is that an idea that translates to Songfight Livestream?
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Ooh I like that idea
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

mo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:26 pm
You know in Shanghai we used to have the big Halloween bash at a local underground rock club, doing shows where local bands would do the tribute thing, full on costumes, etc. is that an idea that translates to Songfight Livestream?
Well. An international SongFight live is clearly years away. I can’t see travelling to the US being a thing for a long time.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Good news! OBS finally has transport controls on the embedded media player!

fuckin finally