Song Fight! Live(Stream) - September 2020

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Song Fight! Live(Stream) - September 2020

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I debated on setting up reaper for video. And I still might. But I'm thinking a dedicated editor will be best in the long run. Honestly, if I weren't so new to this stuff I'd just hunker down and spend hours and hours in VSDC and probably end up happy.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I have a version of Vegas 14 Pro Edit (Humble Bundle purchase a few years ago) that I used for some of my Guitar videos on Youtube in the past on my home Laptop... but I ended up using Reaper this time for our live music video for this years SF!L stream... Vegas is probably better as it's a full on Video Editor so it has much more "special fx" or whatever... but Reaper was perfectly fine for my needs this time and you can watch the free tutorial videos online if you get stuck.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I know this weekend's stream is probably overloaded already, but just uploaded a live Vowl Sounds song to the Dropbox!
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

vowlvom wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:22 am
I know this weekend's stream is probably overloaded already, but just uploaded a live Vowl Sounds song to the Dropbox!
Cool. I'll confirm it gets into the mix.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Folks, I'm excited for this weekend.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah! Rest up, it's going to be a marathon!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I'm working up a five-song set but it won't be done till tomorrow night. Earliest (!)
Just hoping to have some stage time :)
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Can confirm: there will a Future Boy live set and live fight entry. I am rendering the videos right now.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm using Reaper for mixing and video "editing" and Handbrake to create the mp4 files from the Reaper uncompressed render.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

On the topic of video editors: DaVinci Resolve has a free version that can do almost anything you'd ever need (if you're not a pro).
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I never got the "free" vegas. I was wanting to try it before purchasing a newer version. Guess if you put in existing user they didn't wanna give away stuff for free. *shrug*

For me it came down to DaVinci or VSDC or Reaper. A friend had some crashing problems with DaVinci (but to be fair, he is one of those super push it to the limits and see if it'll break guys) so I went with VSDC when I heard Vom had done so. I've heard good things about DaVinci otherwise.

Okay, enough side chat. My three song live set project is on the backburner. Gonna try to get into the live(stream) fight.

vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

sleepysilverdoor mentioned Openshot over on the Discord, which is another free video editing option that looks more user-friendly than VSDC.

I've been really happy with VSDC thus far (especially now that I've sorted the export settings, thanks to fluffy's advice) but it definitely doesn't feel like the most straightforward option.

Really hoping I can get in on the live fight but I had forgotten that I am attending a livestreamed wedding tomorrow! So I'm not sure if I will get time. Will do my best though...
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Yes, OpenShot made creating a 4 tiled video extremely easy. It's also open source and pretty well-regarded for what it is. I know diddly squat about video editing and managed to piece together a passable mosaic for my live fight entry. I'm sure that it's possible to do more than just 4 tiles, but I didn't try. I actually only had three videos, so I used some other footage for the 4th one. It ran kind of slow...but I also used 2012 Lenovo Thinkpad with 4g of RAM so of course it did.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

You could always make some of your tiles contain four tiles.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I said last post, and we're a little off topic, but....

I'm done with VSDC. Luckily I didn't smash my computer. I resorted to the photos editor for the live fight video. Unfortunately it wouldn't edit the video file from OBS so it's just a one shot, wrong camera on the iphone video. The hardest part in both programs was lining up the audio to the video files. I'm gonna set up reaper and try that. If I can edit video like I edit wav files then I'll at least be able to do my little style of video with a lot less heartache.

Might try openshot now that it's been mentioned more than twice. Kinda tired of trying video editors by now, though.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

For format issues like that, try Handbrake. It's a reasonably easy-to-use GUI frontend to FFMpeg, which can convert basically any video format to any other video format.

Detailed ramble:
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
OBS is intended for doing realtime streaming, and its recording mechanism is really just a convenient byproduct of that. Streaming-optimized video isn't in an editable format; you get only occasional keyframes (typically once every few seconds), and the container format is usually also not one of the typical editing formats either. You can mitigate the latter by at least having OBS save as mp4 instead of flv or mkv, but it'll still be a streaming-optimized mp4 and won't be frame-by-frame editable (at least not efficiently). And for various reasons mp4 is also not a great on-the-fly streaming/recording format, and if OBS crashes while writing it out you lose the whole recording, which is why OBS doesn't default to that.

Higher-end NLEs like Final Cut and Premiere actually take those videos and convert them internally to a frame-by-frame format to make them easier to deal with.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I tried three video editors:

1. iMovie— very awesome but only 1 PiP is possible.
2. Premiere Rush— Seems to want my video source to start at the beginning of project, making me contort to move things around to sync with audio. Also, does not have a “nudge” function!!!!!
3. Premiere Pro. I had a coupon for 40% off Adobe Creative Sweet. Since I already pay for Photoshop, moving to this is a $20/month increase for everything else (including Acrobat which I infuriatingly have use for more than I’d like). So I pulled the trigger.

Once I got somewhat used to how Premiere works, it became incredibly easy to do as much PiP as I want, and lining up audio to video wasn’t as bad as I feared.

So... I guess this is a case of the paid programs showing off in terms of saving effort to get what you want vs twisting into knots to almost get what you want. Two legs of the stool—- Cheap, Easy, Good. I picked Easy and Good.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

It looks like Premiere Elements might do the thing and is "only" $100 (cheap by NLE standards, anyway). I can't find a straight answer on Adobe's website about how many concurrent video tracks and edits thereof it supports, though. It has a free trial for anyone so inclined to find out themselves.

That said, I bought a much older version of Premiere Elements years ago and the UI was pretty janky.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

fluffy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:26 am
For format issues like that, try Handbrake. It's a reasonably easy-to-use GUI frontend to FFMpeg, which can convert basically any video format to any other video format.
Downloaded Handbrake then realized I could just "remux" the mkv right there in OBS and problem was solved. You can also just set it to export as another file type but it was pretty insistent that I not do that.

I downloaded and used openshot and am uploading the live fight video now. It was fairly straight forward. To line up audio I had the video clips show the waveforms and just used those to line up. It's not perfect but pretty not bad and I'm tired of video for one day.

I didn't play with multiple shots on a single screen, but figure there's got to be a how to video/FAQ somewhere if/when the time comes.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

oh yeah I forgot that obs had built-in remux. Incidentally OBS is also an FFmpeg frontend, although it does a bit more (and uses somewhat different parts of FFmpeg than Handbrake).
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I use Premiere for editing. I pay for Adobe Creative Suite for work stuff and part of that work is making videos. I'm tempted to have a lash at After Effects tomorrow, as I discovered a thing about Premiere this week with masks that made me cross, but it should be fairly straightforward in After Effects. We'll see. I use Adobe Media Encoder for exporting (part of the suite) and it's so easy and excellent to use.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

No, not happening :(
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I used Premiere Elements 2020, the non-subscription version, for the videos I've been doing for Song Fight Live. (I had apparently already bought a version 4-5 years ago so I could upgrade for "only" $80.) I'm starting from basically zero video experience and am slowly figuring it out. From what I could tell looking online it supports unlimited video tracks. I know first hand it supports at least twelve.

I wound up working out in advance the layout I wanted, and then running all my clips through Handbrake first to upsample them to 30fps constant frame rate from variable (so they'd stay in synch properly) and resize them (to make arranging them easier and to reduce the workload for Premiere).

Premiere grips: I wish I could get it to not "scale clip to workspace" by default, I wish I could get it to use the top left of a clip as its positioning reference point by default instead of the clip's center, I wish the positioning editing window would stay open when I selected a different clip to position. You only get presets for both project setup AND export. The "import media" and "media in project" buttons/drop-downs are right next to each other but opening one does not close the other, so, you can easily wind up with both of them open, one on top of the other, which is such a lazy thing not to fix. Etc.