Was Song Fight Live your first gig?

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 19
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I was curious how many folks performed their music live for the first time at a Song Fight Live event. Did you?

I did not. I was in a band in high school that had maybe 3 gigs, then a band in college that played out for a few years.
neutronflow
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass, kazooka
Recording Method: Audacity, UMC404HD
Submitting as: Tim Hinkle

Re: Was Song Fight Live your first gig?

Post by neutronflow »

My mom was involved with the Utah Old Time Fiddlers group. They would do gigs with 4 or 5 people up front who had microphones and amplified instruments and then 20-or-so people (whoever showed up) in back noodling away. I stood right in the back and pretended to play mandolin until I could sort-of actually play mandolin.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

My first time playing what could be considered "a gig" was Song Fight! Live 2003 (Seattle), although that was individual songs and not a full set; my first full set was Song Fight! Live 2004 (Austin).

Before that I did a couple of performances in public in the form of plinking away at a piano thinking I could play jazz improv, but those weren't, like, performing songs that were actually composed or singing or whatever.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I assume we're not counting, like, recitals and school music things.

I joined a band with my husband and a friend of ours about 10 years ago when they were noodling around and needed a singer and I knew the songs from having heard them practicing in our house. "Oh, but let's just do this for fun, it sounds scary to play a show," I said, but then we ended up acquiring more band members (including my current bandmate Nick who some of you know from last year's SFL, he featured on PFJ's live fight song!) and setting up gigs despite my fears, and so if I remember the timeline right, my first show was this weird little thing in the parking lot of a hair salon, it was incredibly hot out, I was petrified and didn't know what I was doing and didn't look at the audience and we all probably sounded awful.

This may have been the phase of the band where we had seven members, including two bassists, because I think it was a "I'll just have all my musical friends join my band" type situation.

The other band I remember playing was a two-piece post-punk band with one guy on drums and one guy on fuzz bass, vocals, and theremin.

Anyway, I've played a lot of shows since then and it's been super fun, but playing solo live is still pretty scary so I've barely done it! Before COVID, I was trying to practice playing solo at open mics a bit, I don't usually have stage fright in a full band setting, but I get the full-on shaky hands and racing heart thing when it's just me up there.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

owl wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:32 pm
I assume we're not counting, like, recitals and school music things.
Ah, right, I should have specified in a "live band" type environment.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I've played in bands since junior high school. I learned about song fight from the guys I was playing with in the first band I joined when I moved to Berkeley. They went to the first Song Fight Live at Hot Lunch and then came back and told me about it. Our first, and possibly only, gig was at the Starry Plough in Berkeley where we would hold Song Fight Live many years later.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

No. But my only live band stage appearance (other than solo open mics) in the past five years or more was last year when Owl invited me to play on her set. I'm not sure she knows how much I stressed over it or how much I enjoyed it. I'm very grateful.

My first gig was actually as a rhythm guitarist behind some "old" (probably a little younger than I am now) guys who were playing oldies (country and some rock and roll) at some bars in the middle of the woods etc.,. Like literally in what seemed like the middle of the Mark Twain National Forest. No, I didn't have any practice. No, we didn't suck. It's amazing how many songs are I IV V. And it's amazing how easy it is to impress people who like listening to I IV V songs if you get them a little drunk.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

I think the first Song Fight! related live show I did was with Eric at Ken's old house in the Berkeley Hills above the football stadium. Can't remember the year, maybe 2003 or 2004. Fun times! First time I met Song Fight! people in person. Played a couple Accordian shows and SFL shows after that. Eric and I had played live in front of people before that as an acoustic duo and electric band, mostly parties, weddings, retail events, and we also did an open mic gig at the Sweetwater in Mill Valley. But playing Song Fight! Live shows is always a hoot.
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I think folks might be misunderstanding the question, or maybe I am... my interpretation was as to whether *any* Song Fight! Live was your first gig, not if the most recent one was your first Song Fight! Live.

The context I'm bringing to my interpretation was that it came up during one of the conversations last night that SF!L Seattle 2003 was the first time I'd performed on stage. Which isn't true if you count school rehearsals and whatever.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

It wasn’t my first performance, since I grew up doing classical music. But SF Live Hot Lunch #1 was the first time I ever performed a song on guitar in front of people, I’m pretty sure.

I didn’t find songwriting until I was around 23 or so.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Song Fight Live wasn't my first gig.

It WAS my first real video. First Song Fight Live. First time to play iveg songs live in front of other people. First time to sing and bass at the same time. (I tried to sing and play keys, but it was a fail. Better luck next year.)
facebook.com/ivegband
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl

Post by owl »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:00 am
No. But my only live band stage appearance (other than solo open mics) in the past five years or more was last year when Owl invited me to play on her set. I'm not sure she knows how much I stressed over it or how much I enjoyed it. I'm very grateful.
Dude, that was so much fun, and I was so impressed at how you filled in with zero practice with us!!! (Sorry for turning my Tele up too loud, as I noticed in retrospect whenever last year’s videos were posted, it was hard to tell how levels were in there at the time...) Thanks again for playing with us, and doing such an awesome job! We had only just learned most of those songs too so I’m sure our various screwups in real time didn’t help.

Didn’t even know you were stressed about it though tbh, I guess because of my total faith in your guitar skills, I figured you were doing just fine, cool as a cucumber :D
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

SF! Live, to which I've thus far only attended once, was not my first gig. It was, however, the first and only time I stood alone and performed with guitar and vocals. (I never insult singers by calling what I do singing) The bands I played in wisely left vocals to others.

I'd love to, and hope to, attend more SF! Lives. However, while I work for the State (Massachusetts) and have great benefits, the hospital is not too good at letting you use them. Guess that's why they're so good. (?)

First non high school talent show gig was same band, doing covers at a road house biker bar. I played bass, covers. I loved it when people got up and danced. Same band, we played for the mayor of my city, couple hundred folks there. That was fun. All original bands after, rockin' the Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Yeah!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:23 pm
SF! Live, to which I've thus far only attended once, was not my first gig. It was, however, the first and only time I stood alone and performed with guitar and vocals. (I never insult singers by calling what I do singing) The bands I played in wisely left vocals to others.

I'd love to, and hope to, attend more SF! Lives. However, while I work for the State (Massachusetts) and have great benefits, the hospital is not too good at letting you use them. Guess that's why they're so good. (?)

First non high school talent show gig was same band, doing covers at a road house biker bar. I played bass, covers. I loved it when people got up and danced. Same band, we played for the mayor of my city, couple hundred folks there. That was fun. All original bands after, rockin' the Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Yeah!
how quickly they forget. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVrH67U9teU
Hi!
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM

Post by WreckdoMelle »

For some reason the rest of WreckdoM let me play a trombone on stage at SF! Live. That was a first for me.
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

I've never done a SongFight! Live, but when I do, it won't be my first gig.

I was once in a Cure covers band, we played a few shows around some pubs and some Battle of the Band gigs. Did a couple of solo shows supporting friends, joined a band with Toshiro, and we played some gigs somewhere (pretty sure we even got a gig at The Tote?)

Then I joined The Steinbecks and did a lot of 'real' shows (including playing the Gershwin Room, an outdoor gig at a Velodrome, and supporting The Lucksmiths' 10 Year Anniversary show) which was all a lot fun. Then people moved away and it all stopped for about 10 years, until Feb this year I jumped on stage for 5 songs during The Steinbeck's 25th anniversary show.

I miss it, it's a pretty awesome experience.
.sig
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Jack wrote:how quickly they forget. :P
HA! Busted! No, no, I didn't actually forget, I guess I was just focusing on myself (It's all the rage these days/years) and thought of what a big deal it was, to me, to attempt what I did. You were great and it was an honor to have you there, seriously. I hope that if and when I ever make it to a west coast event some year, I can serve in your backing band. More of where I belong anyhow! :)
Bringin' the stink since 2006.