A Radical Proposal

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

That's a good idea... especially as far as the video goes. Once I have all of the audio and video from the show, I can synch and group it all together. That give me the option of using whatever video and audio I choose at any given moment in the video. More audio = more options, and options = awesome.

One thing I would ask (and I will put this in the video thread as well) is that when you are recording, you start and stop your cameras and/or audio equipment as little as possible. I mean, I realize that people are goign to turn the cameras on and off during the night, and that's totally ok, but every time the camera or audio equipment is stopped it translates to a new when I'm editing, and the less clips we have the easier and faster it is to synch and group. The faster it is to group, the faster I can start editing, and the faster I can edit, the faster we all get DVDs. :D So yeah, film as much of whatever you like, but try not to turn the cameras on and off too much during a performance. Thanks!
White people, is you funky?
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I think we'd be OK to have everyone use the same guitar rigs, as most people will just want a tuner, and distortion, right? If people want more, we should put the pedals into the signal path once, at the beginning of each night, but we should really try to limit the extras, maybe just to delay or something. I might toss my volume pedal in there, too. (Tuner->volume->delay->distortion->amp?). I can provide all these parts for one rig, and I have other amps I can bring if necessary. Probably we'd just need two electric guitar rigs? With a few guitars at hand, and some acoustics at hand ready to go also? I guess the limiting factor is stage space, and that will probably be best judged in person.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

If we're going to have just a couple guitar FX setups, it would be cool to have a guitar tech to go with them. I.e., if I'm playing through a Stompotronic T-5200B and the owner of said device was right there and I could just say, "I want a little bit of flange and get rid of that delay," it'd be great to have the cat right there during setup who knows how to tweak it to give me the sound I want...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

I'm bringing a (relatively) complicated fx setup, but I can have almost everything ready before I go on stage and I can get going quickly. There's some duplication, of course, but I don't want to have to mess with anyone else's stuff-- it's just faster and easier not to.

I guess it's fine if you want to call my pedals "guitar rig number two" or something. It'll probably be tuner->distortions->chorus->delays. I could easily leave all the settings at reasonable values and/or play guitar tech for 'em.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

in addition to sam's stuff, my mesa boogie is a 3 channel amp that sounds like tits. one channel could be set up for clean, one jazzy sustained clean, and one nasty. each channel can be switched easily, as well as add reverb or boost with a floorswitch.

ken's played out of it. ask him. it sounds real purty.
Hi!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I may be in Dre's band (I forgot to see what night he's playing..crap..'cause I won't be there Friday night)

I may coax him to do just one of my songs... you know..the classic (which my band does by the way)

I'm only available Saturday night. Dre is my priority but I might be willing to cram in another song or two learning wise.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Oh man... playing through tits sounds like even more fun, jack. :twisted:

On the pedal front, however, while the monster pedalboard's staying at home, my set needs a couple of pedals (which I'd be bringing, natch): a Boss PS-5 Supershifter & a Guyatone VT-3 Vintage Tremolo. How do annoying crutch monkeys like me fit into the "one rig to rule them all and in the stage lights blind them" planning?
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I was hoping that people could make do with a couple of basic effects, to save the aforementioned setup and teardown time for pedals. As straightforward as it may be to swap in and out different rigs, or reconfigure them, or get oneself acquainted to new pedal(s), it still takes time, and time is going to be very scarce. I just want people to be able to perform for as much of the time we have as possible.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Point taken, Sam. Hence the "crutch monkey" dig at myself. Must ponder how to do the fakery, though if one of the amps has a tremolo on it, I'll marry that one, tits or no :wink:
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

For a live performance, especially in such a time-limited gig such as this, if you can't play without massive effects, don't even bother. A good stage adaptation will work well on acoustic instruments as well as a full studio gear rack.

Effects are great in a studio production or a dedicated stage production with a dedicated setup but this is neither. You have 20 minutes. Don't waste 10 of them fucking around with a signal chain.

[EDIT: apparently my window open to this thread was seeing it in a pretty old state and other people already made this point. Oh well.]
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Hoblit wrote:I may be in Dre's band (I forgot to see what night he's playing..crap..'cause I won't be there Friday night)
Yeah, am hoping I can get schedule for Saturday (shit, wouldn’t even mind being the first act, to just get it over and enjoy the rest of the show),
As am definitely counting on you, and fluffy, to play Bass & guitar on 2 of the songs.

If you can make it to my house this weekend, I’ll give u the guitar parts, and we should be able to run through then plus your songs, in a long afternoon. or if you want me to go over there ( I can. i can use a trip to the beach)

Then Fluffy gets stuck with the simple bass lines.

Fluffy don’t forget, I could use the trumpet score.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yes I'll get around to it this weekend.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

yeah dre, get yourself to the beach on Sunday morning...we can get together later so you can enjoy the beach during the day. Tampa has no real beach so you'll probably want to head down to Clearwater or Indian Rocks..somewhere down there on the coast for that...and head back my way after you are good and burnt.