Songfight Live San Francisco 2010 Musician Exchange

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Songfight Live San Francisco 2010 Musician Exchange

Post by JonPorobil »

We're down to two months left before the big show in San Francisco, so I took the liberty of creating a thread for people to offer and request musical services.

For instance, I'm willing to play piano/keyboards for anyone who needs it. I'm also willing to sing and/or play a wide variety of other instruments. For instance, last year I played keys for fluffy, Naked Philosophy, and Roymond; guitar for Roymond; mandolin for Kasper; and I did some background singing for JB and incidental spoken-word vocals for Naked Philosophy. I can also play the harmonica, banjo, accordion, ukulele, bass, or just about anything else you can drop into my hands. PM me if you need my help, and I will do it! :) A list of songs is good, but a fake sheet (list of chords, etc) is better.

Now, on the other side of the equation...

I may need a drummer. Probably not for every song I play, but at least a couple. Last year the drums were played entirely by fluffy and Ken. Do we have any other drummers in attendance this year?

(P.S. This thread title was a mouthful. Has there been an official name decided upon yet? I've just been calling it SFLX.)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Songfight Live San Francisco 2010 Musician Exchange

Post by fluffy »

Nobody's come up with a A&B for SF yet, but now I'm going to try to fit it into the Lsomething Xsomething form.

ANYWAY: as always I am available on guitar, keyboard, backup vocals, drums, glockenspiel, ukulele, violin, and, new for this year, cello.

As far as my set goes, I think I'm going to keep it simple. Bass and drums are all I need, if even that much.
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

I'm also available to be in bands as needed - comfortably on guitar, somewhat less comfortably on bass or mandolin.

What's the deal with rehearsal space going to be? I think that the amount of time we might have available for practice could have an influence on how adventurous my arrangements get...
==========================================
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
==========================================
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

My roof and balcony are both available for acoustic practice. There are also busking spots that would potentially work.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Berkeley Social Scene has a rehearsal space in Oakland. It's a quick drive across the Bay from San Francisco, for anybody staying in the city and renting a car. Otherwise there is a BART station nearby, and we could shuttle folks to/from BART. The advantages of that space are: no extra cost over what we're already paying to rent it; available all day Friday-Sunday; has a PA, amps, Rhodes, drum kit, etc.; is next door to a bar; is right near a cool little neighborhood with good places to eat.

Otherwise there are places in the city. I've practiced here before, a few years ago, and it was OK:

http://www.lennonstudios.com/rates.html

There is also Secret Studios which apparently does hourly rentals, though I only have experience with monthly rentals there:

http://www.secretstudios.com/services.nxg
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

I have a weighted 88-key Yamaha piano that can travel, although the stand less so. If I can make it, I can drive it up with me, and if not, someone who wants to grab it on their way up the coast (and bring it back when they're done) is welcome to it. I have no idea if this is useful to anyone.

Also, if I can make it, I will sing, play egg shaker or whatever other random crap you might need.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

MintyHandy wrote:I have a weighted 88-key Yamaha piano that can travel, although the stand less so. If I can make it, I can drive it up with me, and if not, someone who wants to grab it on their way up the coast (and bring it back when they're done) is welcome to it. I have no idea if this is useful to anyone.

Also, if I can make it, I will sing, play egg shaker or whatever other random crap you might need.
What's the model on that keyboard? Or, if you still have you manual or tech specs, do you know what the name of the key-weighting system is? I test-drove a similar model to what fluffy is providing, and found it good for most purposes, but it felt really awkward on a couple of my more difficult songs.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Yamaha P-120, it's nearly ten years old, but I just had the keyboard replaced a few months ago.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

So, I need a drummer. I have a feeling Ken will be very very busy drumming all night long so I'd like to give him a break - any other takers?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I don't know where to begin. I'd like a band for at least one song, perhaps Level Best. Anyone interested in being part of an ebow orchestra?
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Sure! I always need an excuse to use my ebow.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

So I have a lineup for the first 2/3 of my set. Then I am going to set them free and do a medley on just G&G. Then I will do Night Terrors to close out my set. For Night Terrors, I want every damn ukulele player on the stage, and everyone else to just jump in on drums, bass, backup vocals, keys, glockenspiel, WHATEVER. Ideally they will have practiced the song at least a little bit beforehand, because there is a slightly tricky thing to the chord structure that seems to throw people off, but even if you don't get a chance, that is okay, because it is all about having fun and jamming.

WHO IS WITH ME

(it is okay if it is a surprise too)
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Is anyone else playing the drums on Saturday besides me? I'm thinking about just bringing a kick and snare.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

ken wrote:Is anyone else playing the drums on Saturday besides me? I'm thinking about just bringing a kick and snare.
Not unless someone suddenly decides their set isn't crappy enough without me.