Songfight Live 2012 Location Poll

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.

In what city should Songfight Live 2012 be hosted?

Atlanta, GA - Noah McLaughlin
12%
Austin, TX - Jon Eric
15%
Madison, WI - Manhattan Glutton
24%
Seattle, WA - Spud
48%

Total votes: 33
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Songfight Live 2012 Location Poll

Post by JonPorobil »

Okay everyone. We talked about it in that other thread, then the discussion died down a bit, and at the end there were five serious contenders. Since the event will likely be in about a year (give or take a month), this seems as good a time as any to lock down the city it will be in. Next to the name of each city, I put the name of the hosting volunteer. I wasn't sure about Los Angeles, but glennny was the one who nominated it, so I put his name there.

Here's the breakdown (feel free to amend or correct me on any info that might be missing or wrong):

Atlanta, GA
Last time it was in Atlanta:2007
Noah McLaughlin has volunteered to host.
Other Songfighters in the area: JB, Starfinger

Austin, TX
Last time it was in Austin: 2004
Jon Eric has volunteered to host.
Other Songfighers in the area: DJ Ranger Den, WreckdoM, Marcus Kellis, 15-16 Puzzle

Los Angeles, CA
Last time it was in LA: never
No one has volunteered to host. :(
Songfighers in the area: BLT, the Durand Brothers (ish), State Shirt, Seamus Collective, Evil-E, Albatross, Edge of LA, prayformojo

Madison, WI
Last time it was in Madison: never
Manhattan Glutton has volunteered to host.
Other Songfighters in the area: Lucky Spoon (I think), Milo Dunderville (aka LMNOP)

Seattle, WA
Last time it was in Seattle: 2003
Spud (aka Fightmaster Sr.) has volunteered to host!
Other Songfighers in the area: Naked Philosophy. Rabid Garfunkel is in Portland, which is accessible by car.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Re: Songfight Live 2012 Location Poll

Post by nyjm »

I feel like we're back in the old "One Vote for One Song" days of SF! :-) So... yeah, gotta vote for me, though I remember it wasn't a front-runner from previous discussions.

Still, good things about Atlanta:
- Best airport in the US (most on-time flights, easy to navigate and get to)
- Reliable public transportation system in metro area
- Major city = lots of venues large and small, public, private and in-between
- Major city = easy access to renting all the gear we'll need
- Eddie's Attic
- Little Five Points
- High Museum

To be fair, not so good things:
- It can get HOT, especially in the late summer
- Despite an OK train / subway, it's a very car-dominant area, especially once you step out of the middle of ATL
- Blue laws = no alcohol sales on Sunday
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I can't vote. It says selection is invalid.

But just a reminder to everybody:
-we have an airport
-it's an awesome little city
-i have a ton of live gear
-i can rent out a park and perhaps a house across from the park
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Which template are you using? GlossyBlue is incompatible with polls, as it turns out. I've switched to SubSilver until I can track down which template file is broken.

Generic: LA is NOT a day-trip away from the SF bay area, unless you want a REALLY long day. On the other hand, Seattle actually IS a day-trip away from Portland.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:I can't vote. It says selection is invalid.

But just a reminder to everybody:
-we have an airport
-it's an awesome little city
-i have a ton of live gear
-i can rent out a park and perhaps a house across from the park
I'm getting the same problem. Weird.

EDIT: Fixed by changing templates. I was using GlossyGreen. Switched to SubSilver. It's ugly as sin, though, so I'm switching right back now that my vote has been cast. :)
fluffy wrote:Which template are you using? GlossyBlue is incompatible with polls, as it turns out. I've switched to SubSilver until I can track down which template file is broken.

Generic: LA is NOT a day-trip away from the SF bay area, unless you want a REALLY long day. On the other hand, Seattle actually IS a day-trip away from Portland.
Corrected. Do we have any Songfighters in the Portland area?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Rabid Garfunkel at least. I'm pretty sure there's a few others as well.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

FWIW I voted for Seattle as my first choice but if we had multiple choices on this poll I'd have voted for Madison as my #2. (Can't polls be set to have multiple options?)

Oh, also, State Shirt is based in LA, for whatever that's worth. Also mico saudad (née abecedarian) is in Seattle, last I was aware.

Lots of LA-area fighters now that I think of it. Ross Durand, of course, and I think Evil-E and Albatross hail from there. Then Alex/Seamus of the Seamus Collective is in San Diego, I think? And that's pretty close (a little closer than Portland is to Seattle).
Milo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Milo Dunderville

Post by Milo »

I seldom post but lurk regularly and participate sporadically under mostly one-off names.

Anyway, I'd drive to Madison if the dates work, especially if it lined up with a Brewers home stand.

Also, I drink a lot of Manhattans.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

fluffy wrote:FWIW I voted for Seattle as my first choice but if we had multiple choices on this poll I'd have voted for Madison as my #2. (Can't polls be set to have multiple options?)

Oh, also, State Shirt is based in LA, for whatever that's worth. Also mico saudad (née abecedarian) is in Seattle, last I was aware.

Lots of LA-area fighters now that I think of it. Ross Durand, of course, and I think Evil-E and Albatross hail from there. Then Alex/Seamus of the Seamus Collective is in San Diego, I think? And that's pretty close (a little closer than Portland is to Seattle).
Just want to clear up that Ross is in Orange County which is not LA. Evil-E is in San Luis Obispo. Edgar (Edge of LA) is still in LA as is long lost Songfight Hip Hop Crooner prayformojo.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I did say LA-area, but fair enough on Ross. I didn't know Evil-E was in SLO - thought he was in LA proper for some reason (probably because he came to SF Presents LA). That's still within day-trip distance, at least.

And oh yeah, completely forgot about PfM. Weird, seeing as how I see him on Twitter all the time. He needs to come the hell back here.
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

And I'm a 3-1/2 hour drive away from LA, at least.
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman

Post by bambamoozle »

I've voted for Madison for two reasons: (1) It has a host and (2) I'm going to be there on August 2-5, 2012 for the bi-annual Leonard Cohen Event, so maybe you can have it the same weekend and when I get tired of listening to others play Leonard Cohen (which might take until the last day though) I'll pop on over:

http://leonardcohenfiles.com/madison-poster-kadir.jpg
Who_Izzy
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, loop pedal
Recording Method: Mixcraft 4.5
Submitting as: MC Who Izzy

Post by Who_Izzy »

I'm an 8.5 hour trip from Madison...Only one I'd be able to make it to...and I love to make it there for this event
"I just play music that feels good so that when I listen to it, I feel good" ~BLT 2011

"No-I'm not sure. But I meant to. I'm voting for it now." ~Caravan Ray 2011
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Generic wrote:Do we have any Songfighters in the Portland area?
Anti-M.

I'd go where the action is. I'd go places I've never been, so Madison and Austin are curious competitors.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Madison is still out ahead, but Seattle's closing the gap.

I don't want to let my bias rule this decision, so I'll open it up to the floor - when should the poll close?

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Start a poll to ask when the poll should end.
Who_Izzy
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, loop pedal
Recording Method: Mixcraft 4.5
Submitting as: MC Who Izzy

Post by Who_Izzy »

fluffy wrote:Start a poll to ask when the poll should end.
and then a poll to ask when the poll that's asking when the poll should end should end
"I just play music that feels good so that when I listen to it, I feel good" ~BLT 2011

"No-I'm not sure. But I meant to. I'm voting for it now." ~Caravan Ray 2011
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Hey, if we were decisive we wouldn't need someone to make song titles for us. ;) Part of the charm that comes with the territory.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

I would say 2 months is a good time period... If you don't check the forums at least once in two months, chances are you're not coming to sfl, and therefore I don't care what you want.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

I voted for Austin, but only because I felt bad nobody wanted to visit Jon Eric after he's been trying to organize everything. I'm sure Jon Eric would do a fine job organizing something but Austin in the middle of the summer isn't what I'd call a vacation. It's what I call torture.
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

fluffy wrote:FWIW I voted for Seattle as my first choice but if we had multiple choices on this poll I'd have voted for Madison as my #2. (Can't polls be set to have multiple options?)
Since the voting is so close between those two choices right now, I feel like I should share my thoughts on why my first choice is better.

First of all, Song Fight Live 2003 was my first Live event, and it has been by far the best-run Song Fight Live I have ever been a part of. Spud is a very conscientious and gracious host, and he made sure that everything ran like an extremely well-oiled machine. He organized plenty of events among the visitors, including multiple jam/practice sessions, including providing plenty of food and drinks, and made sure that everyone's needs were met. He made sure the venue was ready for us and that we had everything we needed to perform there. He even printed up back-stage passes for us to make it easy for us to identify ourselves to the venue crew.

Since then, Spud has organized quite a few other musical events which I had the pleasure of being a part of, and all of them went extremely well, even the ones which had no right to (such as the private party at which I officially became Octothorpe's drummer). Hell, at the Seattle stop on one of the Left Coast Tours we ended up even making money on the show. (Well, enough to buy half a beer each, but still.)

Obviously I can't speak for his willingness to repeat 2003's level of detail and ambition for any future event, but he has natural proven organizational skills and a level of preparedness and situational awareness and readiness that I feel goes far above and beyond, and he naturally sets the bar far higher than anyone else I've known.

At the very least, I am certain that even if he makes his minimum effort (which is far beyond what most mere mortals are capable of even if they overextend themselves) it'll be guaranteed not to suck.

That said, Manhattan Glutton is clearly very passionate about perfection, and I'm sure he'll be fine as a host.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Gee, I promised I wasn't going to campaign, but you forgot to mention the newspaper article and the local NPR affiliate radio story. :) On the other hand, I voted for Madison.

--edit: not to mention the beer sponsor....
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening