Song Fight Live: Weird & Wired August 9-10 in AUSTIN, TEXAS!

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Song Fight Live: Weird & Wired August 9-10 in AUSTIN, TE

Post by roymond »

Some fun sounds: Weird|Wired on Bandcamp
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

We are now one month away!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Wow, only just saw this.

I'm getting out of the military, and fly home to Dallas at the end of the month. I'll be visiting friends and apartment hunting in Houston from the 5th-8th. My 10-year HS reunion is on the 10th. I may be able to swing by Austin on the 9th. If I did, would I be able to throw down a short set?
🤠
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Sober wrote:Wow, only just saw this.

I'm getting out of the military, and fly home to Dallas at the end of the month. I'll be visiting friends and apartment hunting in Houston from the 5th-8th. My 10-year HS reunion is on the 10th. I may be able to swing by Austin on the 9th. If I did, would I be able to throw down a short set?
Abso-friggin'-lutely. Let us know if you need some backing musicians. :-)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Oh, and Sober: There's still time to put you on the promotional poster, if you can confirm. Do you want to be credited as The Sober Irishman, or are you going by a different stage name now?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

I am super excited about who is coming here in August and also super excited about the set we have put together to play for our song fight friends! I'm feeling really good about how our songs are sounding and I think everybody is going to be entertained. Hopefully that 20 minute set allotment time isn't set in stone...
If I haven't said so already, we have a free of charge practice room at my house that can be used until 9pm whenever need be. It's on the same side of town as the venue and the drums that are being used will be set up there. I keep meaning to get a run down of what amps we have and will try to soon but I assure you we have one or two for guitar, two for bass, and one for keyboards. Probably wouldn't hurt if other Austinites brought their amps so folks have a choice. One thing we don't have much of is mic stands.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Geoff, that's cool about the practice room. Should we set up a thread or calendar or something for folks to schedule rehearsal times?
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Lunkhead wrote:Geoff, that's cool about the practice room. Should we set up a thread or calendar or something for folks to schedule rehearsal times?
A shared calendar would be ideal. And Geoff, if you can get me the address where your practice space is, I'll put it in the "Important places" list on this map: http://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer ... BI5zTQtAbs

Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

1003 Alden Dr. 78748, branches off Jamestown, which branches off N. 183 between Lamar and Peyton Gin
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Dude, I had no idea you were that close to me. I could walk there!

Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

How are we doing when it comes to recording? Do we have audio and video in place?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Generic wrote:Oh, and Sober: There's still time to put you on the promotional poster, if you can confirm. Do you want to be credited as The Sober Irishman, or are you going by a different stage name now?
Just "Sober" will do fine. I am ~95% confirmed for the 9th, a definite no for the 10th. Are we collecting money to make this happen? It's been a while since I've been to a SFL event.

I can play solo, and will fill up as much time as y'all can give me. I'll be taking photos as well, I imagine.
🤠
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Niveous wrote:How are we doing when it comes to recording? Do we have audio and video in place?
I'm working with our sound board guy to make sure we've got some method of recording audio from the board. It might be as simple as running one out from his board to the DAW on my laptop.

Currently, it's a "No" on the video, but I'm trying to find someone local with a decent video camera to loan us. At the last few live events I've been to, the video was handled by Glenn and/or Glen, and neither of them are coming this time around. Any suggestions for making this easier would be greatly appreciated.
Sober wrote: Just "Sober" will do fine. I am ~95% confirmed for the 9th, a definite no for the 10th. Are we collecting money to make this happen? It's been a while since I've been to a SFL event.

I can play solo, and will fill up as much time as y'all can give me. I'll be taking photos as well, I imagine.
I haven't asked anyone for money in advance. I was planning on passing a hat at the show, on a strictly voluntary basis. If you feel like contributing in some other way, please PM me.

I've just done some rough back-of-the-napkin math on the amount of time people have, since we have fewer performers than usual and more time than usual, but you're going to have 20-30 minutes to use as you like. I initially said 20 minutes, but it seems like half the people playing have asked for additional time, and we're still running pretty far under, so there's wiggle room. I've allotted 30 minutes to each performer, but that also includes setup and breakdown time. And we still have 30-60 minutes of spare time each night, even if everyone uses up every second of their allotted time, which I don't think will happen.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Sober wrote:
Generic wrote:Oh, and Sober: There's still time to put you on the promotional poster, if you can confirm. Do you want to be credited as The Sober Irishman, or are you going by a different stage name now?
Just "Sober" will do fine. I am ~95% confirmed for the 9th, a definite no for the 10th. Are we collecting money to make this happen? It's been a while since I've been to a SFL event.

You should play your version of "Texas". One of my all time favorite SF tunes. Glad to hear you made it out alive.
Hi!
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Funny thing is that I'll still technically be 'in' until Aug 30th.

I'll play a mix of SF classics, non-SF originals and covers, and maybe a SF cover or two.
🤠
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

No sure if anyone still needs a hotel, but I saw this deal on Groupon today:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-bk-best ... inn-suites

Best Western Plus Austin Airport Inn & Suites - Austin, TX $65/night
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Niveous wrote:How are we doing when it comes to recording? Do we have audio and video in place?
I still don't have a video camera, but I've confirmed that I'll be able to stream video and capture audio from the sound guy's board all quite easily. Worst case scenario, I'll set up my laptop with a webcam on the stage. Still looking into options for getting a video camera.

Also, this means that I'll have mp3s for everyone's live fight entries. :)

roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Generic wrote:
I still don't have a video camera, but I've confirmed that I'll be able to stream video and capture audio from the sound guy's board all quite easily. Worst case scenario, I'll set up my laptop with a webcam on the stage. Still looking into options for getting a video camera.

Also, this means that I'll have mp3s for everyone's live fight entries. :)
I have a really good hd webcam, if that helps.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

roymond wrote: I have a really good hd webcam, if that helps.

Mine is a Logitech C310. It shoots in 720p. If yours is better than that, feel free to bring it, and we'll get it set up before the show.

Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I can bring my 720/1080p camcorder and tripod. I don't know how I would stream it, but if I can get input from the sound board it should be nice... I think I need a bigger memory card, though.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Hey ya'll, regarding my practice space, which conveniently is in my backyard, I was planning on being here and hosting guests all day Friday and Saturday. Do you think we need a schedule? If you get caught waiting we have plenty of distractions over here until your turn comes up. I'm also open to folks putting a schedule together if it's necessary.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:I can bring my 720/1080p camcorder and tripod. I don't know how I would stream it, but if I can get input from the sound board it should be nice... I think I need a bigger memory card, though.
If you would be so kind, please bring it. I'll stream the show using my webcam, and we can use the higher-quality image from the camera to cut together some better video. Heck, we could even put the two devices at different angles and use some video editing to make a reasonably polished performance movie!