Song Fight Live: Weird & Wired August 9-10 in AUSTIN, TEXAS!

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Song Fight Live: Weird & Wired August 9-10 in AUSTIN, TE

Post by JonPorobil »

I just spoke with the event organizer again... Apparently, last night they came within striking distance of breaking the record for most successful single night in venue history. They sold out of several beers and almost all food items! I attribute the large crowd mostly to WreckdoM, but it's quite gratifying to see that kind of success associated with a Song Fight event!

Tonight's show starts in about an hour, and I'll be live streaming it again, so watch this space for the new URL!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Can't tell you how enchanting it's been to meet in person so many legendary Songfighters. Also sweet is the number of folks using my humble little Ibanez metal bass, which I've had since I was a wee lass of 15, and taking it to new and amazing horizons - I can only hope some residue of talent remains to be absorbed. The musicianship and the friendliness of y'all has been fantastic and I am so pleased to have been witness to this whole event. Thanks all!!!
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

And that's a wrap! What a great Song Fight Live, everyone! Thanks to everyone who came out and helped make it awesome!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Baby Catherine enjoyed the fist half of the Night One show very much and was happy that this Song Fight Live (and Sober's set specifically!) will be remembered as her first ever concert event ... at less than one month old. :)

ps. Catherine is my brand new niece.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Geoff Wreckdom, Lunkhead, and Jon Eric are JBB fans at the post-concert hangout.
image copy.jpg
image copy.jpg (193.96 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

WreckdoMelle wrote:Can't tell you how enchanting it's been to meet in person so many legendary Songfighters. Also sweet is the number of folks using my humble little Ibanez metal bass, which I've had since I was a wee lass of 15, and taking it to new and amazing horizons - I can only hope some residue of talent remains to be absorbed. The musicianship and the friendliness of y'all has been fantastic and I am so pleased to have been witness to this whole event. Thanks all!!!
Thank you, Geoff, for your hospitality and your bass. Not sure how much talent I contributed but it was fun to play. And Frankie really ripped it up on that bass!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Thanks Jon for the awesome Song Fight! Live! Thanks for setting up the great venue, providing and shlepping gear, coordinating, hosting brunch, and everything else you did. I had a really awesome time and I think you did a great job.

Thanks also to WreckdoM for your contributions, too, letting us practice at your place (especially Saturday when we had a ~5 hour Albumfight set rehearsal....) and use your gear there and at the venue. It was awesome to meet you all, you're a fine bunch of folks!

Also thanks to the other locals for your help and your presence and music. Great to see you all again. It was especially fun to see folks we hadn't seen in a very long time like Future Boy and Sober.

Thanks to the folks with whom I got to share the stage. I had a lot of fun playing bass for the Generic set and drums for the Albumfight set. Playing drums is so fun, but then when you're playing drums and people start dancing, it's even more fun! It was also nice to play a Merisan song with a band, something I hope to do more in the future.

All of that plus breakfast tacos and brisket and pulled pork. And I must say the heat wasn't as unbearable as I thought it would be. Austin, you're alright in my book! If y'all put on a Song Fight! Presents show put us on the roster. :)

Overall a great time, and I can't wait till next year. Song love!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Lunkhead wrote:Thanks Jon for the awesome Song Fight! Live! Thanks for setting up the great venue, providing and shlepping gear, coordinating, hosting brunch, and everything else you did. I had a really awesome time and I think you did a great job.

Thanks also to Wreckdome for your contributions, too, for letting us practice at your place (especially Saturday when we had a ~5 hour Albumfight set rehearsal....) and use your gear there and at the venue. It was awesome to meet you all, you're fine folks.

Also thanks to the other locals for your help and your presence and music. Great to see you all again. It was especially fun to see folks we hadn't seen in a very long time like Future Boy and Sober.

Thanks to the folks with whom I got to share the stage. I had a lot of fun playing bass for the Generic set and drums for the Albumfight set. Playing drums is so fun, but then when you're playing drums and people start dancing, it's even more fun! It was also nice to play a Merisan song with a band, something I hope to do more in the future.

All of that plus breakfast tacos and brisket and pulled pork. And I must say the heat wasn't as unbearable as I thought it would be. Austin, you're alright in my book! If y'all put on a Song Fight! Presents show put us on the roster. :)

Overall a great time, and I can't wait till next year. Song love!
Thanks, Lunkhead!

The owner of Kick Butt told me that Friday was, in fact, their highest grossing single night (6pm-close) ever. So yes, I'm thinking we should most definitely do a Song Fight Presents here some time soon. I'll coordinate with Geoff, Den, and Damian, and let you all know.

Also, if you guys thought the heat wasn't that bad, then it's a good thing you didn't stay one more day. This afternoon it was just stiflingly hot. I could barely breathe out there. I'm glad the state took mercy on y'all.

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

roymond wrote:
WreckdoMelle wrote:Can't tell you how enchanting it's been to meet in person so many legendary Songfighters. Also sweet is the number of folks using my humble little Ibanez metal bass, which I've had since I was a wee lass of 15, and taking it to new and amazing horizons - I can only hope some residue of talent remains to be absorbed. The musicianship and the friendliness of y'all has been fantastic and I am so pleased to have been witness to this whole event. Thanks all!!!
Thank you, Geoff, for your hospitality and your bass. Not sure how much talent I contributed but it was fun to play. And Frankie really ripped it up on that bass!
I did?! Aw, shucks. Thanks Roymond!