Song Fight Live 2013 Checklist

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Song Fight Live 2013 Checklist

Post by JonPorobil »

jack wrote:Go Jon Eric! Didn't that Brother Machine dude live in Austin? You should invite him.
To the best of my knowledge, he does still live here. I'm working on it. Does anyone still have his contact information?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

That would be cool. He did a lot of good songs, all in the same week, haha.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

HeuristicsInc wrote:That would be cool. He did a lot of good songs, all in the same week, haha.
-bill
Yeah, there was definitely one week when he turned in four songs, and they were the four best in the fight. Embarrassing to the rest of us, right? :P

JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Hey everyone!

I've got another meeting with the venue tomorrow afternoon. Is there anything in particular I should bring up with them?

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I think you've provided some/all of this info already maybe, and some/all of it may be on their Web site, but here's a brain dump:

- what equipment do they have?
-- hopefully at least a PA
--- with a mixer, and a couple speakers...
--- monitors would be really nice...
-- we'd like to have at least 8 channels/inputs
-- people will want to play along with their laptops/ipads/etc. so ideally we'd like RCA or headphone jack type input
- we probably want at least 2 mics with stands/cables/etc. but 4 would be better
- is there a sound person or do we have to run our own sound?
-- will the sound person be available to change the sound for every set?
- food options
- drinking options
- underage allowed?
- setup/teardown time?
-- it seems like 3-4 hours is a good length of time for a night of SF!L ?
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Good questions, Sam. Answers are inline...
Lunkhead wrote:I think you've provided some/all of this info already maybe, and some/all of it may be on their Web site, but here's a brain dump:

- what equipment do they have?
-- hopefully at least a PA
--- with a mixer, and a couple speakers...
--- monitors would be really nice...
All accounted for. See also: http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 01#p181601
-- we'd like to have at least 8 channels/inputs
Probably; I'll ask to make sure.
-- people will want to play along with their laptops/ipads/etc. so ideally we'd like RCA or headphone jack type input
I hadn't thought of this. I know I have in my own personal collection some cables to make this happen, but I will make sure they're set up for it with a minimum amount of hassle.
- we probably want at least 2 mics with stands/cables/etc. but 4 would be better
They've got four. I've got a spare at home in case one breaks, and I'd be willing to bet Geoff has at least one at his home as well. If you're picky about your mic, bring one.
- is there a sound person or do we have to run our own sound?
The venue will provide a guy. They told me his name, and I promptly forgot it. I'll ask again tomorrow.
-- will the sound person be available to change the sound for every set?
I assume so, but I'll ask tomorrow to verify.
- food options
Sandwiches, pizzas, pastries, and a couple of fast food places within walking distance.
- drinking options
Trained barista for coffee and a full bar for beer/liquor.
- underage allowed?
Yes!
- setup/teardown time?
That's on us, isn't it? Could you clarify what you're asking?
-- it seems like 3-4 hours is a good length of time for a night of SF!L ?
I've arranged for us to have the venue from 7pm to 2am for each night. You can show up early, of course, but we'll have free reign to set up and make whatever noise we want from 7pm-2am. It will be open to the public for the entire time, as well.

The music should start at 8pm or thereabouts. 7-8 will be for setup and sound check. I'd like to schedule assuming that the music will be done at 1am each night, but they won't completely shut us down until 2am, so we have some spillover time if we're running late.

Therefore, the total concert time will be from 8pm-1am both nights. That's five hours per night. Unless a whole lot more people start RSVP'ing, we can either shorten the time as it gets closer to the event, or people can play longer sets than has been normal for the last few years. I'd love to be able to let everyone play 30-40 minute sets, if you're up for it, but that all depends on how many acts show up.

Which reminds me... WHO'S IN?

JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Alrighty!

I just got back from another meeting with the booking manager at Kick Butt. They have a house sound guy named Ernie Basaldua. He's got some pretty impressive road credentials, but he runs sound for Kick Butt because he's friends with the owner and loves the place.

Kick Butt has some nice stereo equipment, which I've taken photos of and attached. Ernie is also going to bring his own mixing board (18 inputs) and a stage monitor, along with some other stuff. The mixer will be able to support 1/8" cables, 1/4" cables, or RCA for those of you who will want to play along with laptops and tablets. Four mic stands and microphones.

KB's booking agent also showed me that they've got two DI boxes and more than enough cables for our purposes. They've also got a pretty sweet light rig!

I've got the guy's number, so any other questions anyone has, let me know!
Attachments
Lights2.jpg
Lights2.jpg (642.04 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
PA.jpg
PA.jpg (454.72 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
SubWoof.jpg
SubWoof.jpg (470.87 KiB) Viewed 3078 times

roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

What are the dates being bantered about? Can you add them to the first posting in this thread? I am a definite maybe if it's not the first or last weekend in August.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

roymond wrote:What are the dates being bantered about? Can you add them to the first posting in this thread? I am a definite maybe if it's not the first or last weekend in August.
It's already set for August 9-10. I'll edit the top post here as you've asked and move you from the "Definite No" to the "Maybe" list, and I hope to see you there!!!
Last edited by JonPorobil on Fri May 03, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Jon, great work, you answered all my questions. The setup/teardown time and overall time questions were about how many hours we could have the place for in general and what kind of setup/teardown times they'd want/expect/allow within the overall time. 7pm-2am is more than enough. While it's awesome to as many people play for as long as possible, I know for myself my attention span and physical energy only lasts for about 4 hours. Even that feels like a pretty marathon night for me. Plus some folks will be drinking the whole time, so the longer the night is, the more of a mess they'll be by the end. ;)
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Here is what Matt says about his drum kit:
Pearl Export 5 piece w/"Chad Smith" signature snare drum. 20" Sabian ride, 14" Zildjian "Z" hi-hats, 18" Zildjian crash, 18" Sabian crash/ride, 16" Zildjian china, 10" Meinl splash, DW double pedal, all cymbal stands are straight, no booms w/ the exception of a "claw" mount splash stand, yamaha hi-hat stand and very comfy pearl throne. He adds that although it's an entry level kit, many sound guys have commented on how good it sounds, in case a pearl export makes anybody nervous.I also have a bass amp, though I doubt amps will be an issue. If they are, I can likely scare up a keyboard and guitar one, too.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote: I doubt amps will be an issue. If they are, I can likely scare up a keyboard and guitar one, too.
You'd be surprised, dude. I don't gig very much, so I've only got one amp. It's technically a keyboard amp, though it would work just fine for bass, too. Guitar would probably sound a bit thin on it, though I've never really tried. I'd really appreciate if you could bring all three amps, unless someone else steps up (they haven't yet).

What are the brand, wattage, etc?

Thanks for the info; I've gone back and edited the post with our inventory.

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I think you can now safely upgrade me from "Maybe" to "Confirmed." Haven't bought tickets or anything but I'm 95% in at this point. I'll be playing a solo acoustic set and would prefer Saturday if possible. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Et tu, roymond and frankie? At least I can rely on Spud for some solidarity here.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I am attending, and would prefer the same day as Frank.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

jb wrote:I am attending, and would prefer the same day as Frank.
Excellent to hear! I'm glad at least one of the Fightmasters is able to make it out.

John, I think you, Frank, and Jeff should do some kind of commemoration of your respective Album Fight projects, since you'll all be there and it's approximately the 10th anniversary of that project. :)

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Generic wrote:
Excellent to hear! I'm glad at least one of the Fightmasters is able to make it out.

John, I think you, Frank, and Jeff should do some kind of commemoration of your respective Album Fight projects, since you'll all be there and it's approximately the 10th anniversary of that project. :)
I think that's an excellent idea!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

I am now officially booked. Plane tickets purchased, plans firm. Just FYI for anyone who cares. :D
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

frankie big face wrote:
Generic wrote:

I think that's an excellent idea!
doh!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Unless we get an unexpected flood of RSVPs from people who've been silent so far, it's looking like everyone will be able to get a set of 20 minutes or so. I say "Or so" because I assume that, like every year, some will go over, and some under. Please don't abuse it.

Everyone should probably be working on your setlists already.

I know that Mike (Manhattan Glutton) plays the drums. Any other drummers coming?