SF Live Portland-Musician Mart- August 14 and 15 2015

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

SF Live Portland-Musician Mart- August 14 and 15 2015

Post by anti-m »

Round up yer band members here and get organizized!

I am available for vocals, weird / toy instruments, and interpretive dance. (Or, you know, very straightforward strumming.)

I'd love to round some folks up for a more full band experience with my sets. I may be wheedling y'all.

Gear available (Label yer stuff, yo!):
- Acoustic Guitar w/ separate in-the-hole pickup
- Six String Banjo (will need mic or all acoustic setup)
-Cello (electric)
- SM58x2
-SM 57
-Stands
-Cables
-Electric Guitar and Amp
-Yamaha Portastudio keyboard circa '85 (It sounds great, but with leeetle keys)
- Some other mics
- Various novelty instruments (musical saw, kalimba, toy guns, shakers)
-Theramin

Gear wanted:
-Drums /percussion
-Bass? /Bass amp?
Last edited by anti-m on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Re: SF Live Portland-Musician Mart- August 14 and 15 2015

Post by RangerDenni »

Is there going to be keyboard-age available, just out of interest so I can plan a set and not show up Diva-tudinal? I have a somewhat respectable G&G title-selection developing and it's nice that we are encouraged to cover other Song Fighters anyhow (in the event that pianos/keyboards are not practical for the venues).
I also play some other stuff besides Fraught Piano but a lot of people do as well. I play tolerable drums, serviceable percussion of other sorts, and gettin-away-with-it-barely guitar. I sing too--but so say we all on that score. :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

RangerDenni wrote:Is there going to be keyboard-age available
fluffy, I seem to recall you offering to bring gear? Can you let me know what you are bringing, and I'll update the top of this thread with that info?

Sir Rabid, same question to you!

And same question to anyone else! What are you all bringing to the party?
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

I have: electric guitar; electric guitar amp; theremin; SM58; SM57; various mic stands. Had to pare back drastically :-(

Can get my hands on a drum set if needed.

Think another list is needed here, what's needed by the traveling folk as well as what's coming with them.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I might try and bring my acoustic guitar if it is not too much hassle.

Are there any open mic nights in Portland? Or somewhere to busk?

- though if it is too much hassle to lug, I will need a guitar. Acoustic or electric - whatever.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

Yup yup-- Good point RG -- Traveling folks, let us know your needs! I'm thinking Guitars shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would maybe recommend bringing mics and cables if you have 'em / are easy to pack.

I can probably borrow a drum kit from someone if you can't, RG.

Ray, I was thinking we could picnic and busk at the adult Soapbox derby. Because there will be beer there. And a captive audience. (We should make a portable banner!)

Ranger Den, I actually do have a keyboard, but it has leeetle tiny keys. I bought it in, like, '85 with babysitting money, if that gives you an idea as to the quality.

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

anti-m wrote:
RangerDenni wrote:Is there going to be keyboard-age available
fluffy, I seem to recall you offering to bring gear? Can you let me know what you are bringing, and I'll update the top of this thread with that info?

Sir Rabid, same question to you!

And same question to anyone else! What are you all bringing to the party?
I am not certain what I will be bringing just yet, but I have the following available on request:
  • Digital piano
  • Cellos (one acoustic, one electric)
  • Violins (one acoustic, one electric)
  • Way too many guitars
  • Ukuleles
  • Recording gear
What I bring is going to drastically effect how I end up getting there, of course. In my perfect world I'd just be bringing the electric cello and taking BoltBus down. Or loading my gear up in the Spudmobile and taking BoltBus down, but obviously that depends on whether Spud is able to make it and has excess cargo space.

As far as what I can play for others:
  • Rhythm guitar
  • Cello
  • Keyboard
  • I'm kinda okay at violin
  • I can hold a beat on drums
  • Backing vocals
  • Lewd, awkward dancing
and what I would like for my lineup:
  • Cello
  • Piano
  • Drums
  • Violin
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

I can bring some cords and a mic. Some instrument cables. I may or may not bring the little Takamine. I have lots of little shakers and various makers of noise too, and a conga drum I might be okay w/gate checking since it's not made of diamonds or anything. We'll see. Whatever keyboard instruments make it there will be fine and I have a few tiny-key-piano appropriate songs. They'd probably sound even more interesting w/groovy 80s sounds in them.

This is great :)
(ps. You folks better stop offering to dance or we are going to end up with a Theatrical and possibly Controversial completely reimagined DJRD show.)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

OK, so it's looking like amps and drums might need to be procured, thus far.

Also: CELLO! YAY! I'm going to try to get either/both you or JB to play with me, in that case. I'll take my wheedling offline.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Oh, I have an electronic drumkit (MIDI triggers + a Wavedrum), although I wouldn't really expect it to be useful as anything other than an in-a-pinch thing.

I also have a shitty Marshall guitar amp but it's sort of a last-resort thing.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I love playing bass, so if you need bass...or guitar, of course. I'm available Thursday morning through Saturday night - FOR FREE!
I don't think I'm bringing anything, as I'm starting a road trip with the family the next week.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

anti-m wrote: Ray, I was thinking we could picnic and busk at the adult Soapbox derby. Because there will be beer there. And a captive audience. (We should make a portable banner!)
Sounds good.

Do you know of any open mic nights in the area? Say, on the Wed, Thur or Sun nights?
I have started playing at a few recently down on the Sunny Coast and northern NSW, at bigger venues where nobody knows me. Love the challenge of trying to win over new crowds - it's so good when it works. Would love to have a crack at a mob of foreigners.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

Caravan Ray wrote:
anti-m wrote: Ray, I was thinking we could picnic and busk at the adult Soapbox derby. Because there will be beer there. And a captive audience. (We should make a portable banner!)
Sounds good.

Do you know of any open mic nights in the area? Say, on the Wed, Thur or Sun nights?
So, I was thinking that if we have enough interested folks on Thursday night, we could all go do Karaoke. I was leaning toward that of the private room ilk:
http://voiceboxpdx.com/location/southeast/

But we could just as easily do the standard shame in front of a large crowd variety.

Wednesday nights, there is evidently open mic over here (a very nice little spot!):
http://eugeniospdx.com/

Many of the other open mics in town are on Mondays and Tuesdays, but I'll take a look about.

Edit: Oh, there's this place... never been there. Looks maybe insufferable. But hey! Open mic! Thursday nights.

https://www.facebook.com/soundgroundscafe
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

I love me some karoake, but I think there is a bad SF live tradition of doing this BEFORE the shows where people drink too much and waste their voices. I would like to suggest that any karaoke events take place AFTER the live shows.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

ken wrote:I love me some karoake, but I think there is a bad SF live tradition of doing this BEFORE the shows where people drink too much and waste their voices. I would like to suggest that any karaoke events take place AFTER the live shows.

Not a bad point! If folks will still be around on Sunday, that could also be an option.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

anti-m wrote:
ken wrote:I love me some karoake, but I think there is a bad SF live tradition of doing this BEFORE the shows where people drink too much and waste their voices. I would like to suggest that any karaoke events take place AFTER the live shows.

Not a bad point! If folks will still be around on Sunday, that could also be an option.
I'll still be around on Sunday and I love karaoke.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Caravan Ray wrote:Do you know of any open mic nights in the area? Say, on the Wed, Thur or Sun nights?
I have started playing at a few recently down on the Sunny Coast and northern NSW, at bigger venues where nobody knows me. Love the challenge of trying to win over new crowds - it's so good when it works. Would love to have a crack at a mob of foreigners.
You could try this page: http://www.openmicportland.com/EventListing It's updated every coupla weeks, at least the emailed version of the list.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Do you know of any open mic nights in the area? Say, on the Wed, Thur or Sun nights?
You could try this page: http://www.openmicportland.com/EventListing It's updated every coupla weeks, at least the emailed version of the list.
Yeah, that's actually where I pulled to two I mentioned -- the others are either on the wrong night or far afield. Not sure about the Firkin place -- that might be OK.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

I am arriving sometime during the week (possibly as early as Tuesday or Wednesday) and not leaving until the aftermath-Monday or even Tuesday depending on if I come with or without the spouse on my voyage. He is leaning toward yes because of the food in Portland being Kick Ass.
I am also up for busking, karaoke, or open mic-ery.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

My base will be at my sisters in Battleground Washington, which is 45 minutes North of Portland. I will be in striking distance for rehearsals and karaoke. I'm going up the weekend before, staying the week and heading back on the Monday afterwards. We're driving up from the Bay area.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

anti-m wrote:
Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
Yeah, that's actually where I pulled to two I mentioned -- the others are either on the wrong night or far afield. Not sure about the Firkin place -- that might be OK.
Sweet! Will definitely try to fit at least one of those in. So long as I can fit it around the rest of my no-doubt very busy social activities.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

RangerDenni wrote:I am arriving sometime during the week (possibly as early as Tuesday or Wednesday) and not leaving until the aftermath-Monday or even Tuesday depending on if I come with or without the spouse on my voyage. He is leaning toward yes because of the food in Portland being Kick Ass.
I am also up for busking, karaoke, or open mic-ery.
Yeah - I am thinking a similar timetable - probably arrive Wed, leave Mon.
Better sort my flights out this weekend and confirm that.