Rockin' the 'f' out

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:I hate those short little useless "Not my thing" or "This Rocks" reviews. It should be backed up by "And this is why" but the "In my opinon" thing should always just be understood. What else could it be but someone's opinion?
To me, they are shorthand for 'god, your song is so dull, I can't even work up any passion to slag it off, but I don't particularly want to get into a flamewar about it that ends up with collaries of 'It's just my opinion''. Or possibly, occasionally, 'I really don't know enough about the genre you're tootling about in to reasonably place your music on its scale, so I'll just shut up.' Therefore it is a very useful tool to avoid tools.
lunkead wrote:Do you mean then that nobody can definitely say "XYZ song does not rock" in absolute terms?
Nobody can define anything in absolute terms [qf:just about every sub-thread in the 'Politics and Other Crap' thread after about 3 pages] - however since a board like this requires discussion, we all act as if we can. The art of faceless conversation requires subjectivity treated as objectivity.

Man.

j$
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:I hate those short little useless "Not my thing" or "This Rocks" reviews.
It's better to get a short review than no review at all.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

OK, why are you folks on my butt about this and not Eric? Quote him for Christ's sake. He's the one that said that was one of his biggest pet peeves. I simply agreed with him and expounded on his point, or maybe I just thought I was. I don't even care at this juncture.

Kamakura: No it's not better. A short, useless review is simply that. Short and useless.

Jack: I don't think you've ever reviewed one of my 2 songs entered, and frankly I'm not motivated enough right now to do the research. I can tell you if you did review a song of mine, it didn't stand out, which has got to say something.

J$: Congratulations on your whatever thousandth meaningless post.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Just cos you don't understand it doesn't neccessarily mean that it's meaningless .... and therein lies the root of the problem.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:Kamakura: No it's not better. A short, useless review is simply that. Short and useless.
Show me a review that is both short and useless. The review "<b>Puce:</b> Frappuccino Baryshnikov!" tells me not to put much stock in this reviewer's future opinions.
Dan-O from Five-O wrote:Jack: I don't think you've ever reviewed one of my 2 songs entered, and frankly I'm not motivated enough right now to do the research. I can tell you if you did review a song of mine, it didn't stand out, which has got to say something.

J$: Congratulations on your whatever thousandth meaningless post.
This is a joke, right? Or are you actually retarded / don't speak English / someone else answering for Dan-O / etc? Because both J$ and Jack's posts are thoughtful, articulate, helpful, and neutral. Instead of putting the same time and effort into your replies, instead of even trying to refute their arguments, you attack the credibility of the posters. If your glib response in a discussion about glib responses is some form of subtle irony then bravo (clap. clap.); However if it isn't I ask again, are you retarded?

<b>EDIT:</b> Who's Eric?
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Puce wrote:Show me a review that is both short and useless.
Your song sucks.
Puce wrote:This is a joke, right?
No to get back to my point, it's my opinion. Jack does reviews, and pretty good ones from what I've read, and so does J$. And they are both a helluva lot more regular about that than me about doing so. But they both have a lot of posts that contribute nothing to nothing as well. Which is why they both have 4 figures in the post count, and a lot of other people don't, like JB and Spud for instance. I think those folks post when they actually have a point to make. (Sorry Admin, I'm not comparing myself to your ultimately wise selves, just making a point)
Puce wrote:<b>EDIT:</b> Who's Eric?
You're right, it's EriK. But if we're gonna split hairs, isn't the more common spelling with a "C" and not a "K?
JB
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Oh yeah and...
Puce wrote:Oh the drama
Last edited by Dan-O from Five-O on Sat May 21, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JB
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Lunkhead wrote:Future Boy: So who decides what the absolute Rock is? There doesn't seem to be a consensus. Going down that route seems to wind up with someone arbitrarily deciding, "Look, I/we decide what is the True Rock, because I/we really know and you/they don't."
I'll have to do a bit of research, but I think it's fair to say that the original instigators of Rock would be the ones to go to. Also, anyone who has the gall to make that statement is probably well on their way towards being able to speak authoritatively on the subject.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

It's been a bad week and I've been in quite a mood, so I don't really think I should continue messing with people like this, but damn man, are you quoting and retorting yourself here?
Future Boy wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:Future Boy: So who decides what the absolute Rock is? There doesn't seem to be a consensus. Going down that route seems to wind up with someone arbitrarily deciding, "Look, I/we decide what is the True Rock, because I/we really know and you/they don't."
I'll have to do a bit of research, but I think it's fair to say that the original instigators of Rock would be the ones to go to. Also, anyone who has the gall to make that statement is probably well on their way towards being able to speak authoritatively on the subject.
Oh yeah and J$
j$ wrote:Just cos you don't understand it doesn't neccessarily mean that it's meaningless .... and therein lies the root of the problem.
Just because you said something, it doesn't mean it makes any sense.

OK, I'm done. BTW, I still think trios RTFO.
JB
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

<b>Dan-o:</b> I PM'd you this, but it seems like you check this thread before you check your inbox, so:

Don't deep-link photos hosted on my (or anyone else's) website without permission. Feel free to host that image on your own website instead. Please edit your post.

Also please note that the photo in question [<i>EDIT: I've changed it from "Oh The Drama" to something more fitting</i>] is best used when someone is being overly dramatic. For instance, I posted it when you created an entire thread to discuss how you felt other posters weren't being nice to you. That's drama. Here people are trying to have a reasonable discussion, you are responding with bullshit posts, and I'm calling you on it. Not only is that not drama, it's apparently necessary. If you would like to continue this argument or defend the merits of your posts feel free to PM me.

Also, "Your song sucks" is a helpful review. Not as helpful as "The guitar is mixed too loud", but still useful. Again, if you would like me to explain the mechanics of how one would use such a review feel free to PM me.

Now, back to the rockin'.
Last edited by Adam! on Sat May 21, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:Kamakura: No it's not better. A short, useless review is simply that. Short and useless.
No matter the length, or content of a review (even though it might not mean a lot in the grand scheme of things), it shows that the reviewer is both listening to your song, and can be fucked to write about it.
Don't knock it. Be glad.
I know I am :wink:
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Future Boy »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:It's been a bad week and I've been in quite a mood, so I don't really think I should continue messing with people like this, but damn man, are you quoting and retorting yourself here?
No, dipshit, I was responding to something that Lunkhead said.
Last edited by Future Boy on Sat May 21, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

[quote="Dan-O from Five-O"][/quote]
JB
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by fluffy on Sat May 21, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Fluffy, I edited my post per Puce's request. I would appreciate the same courtesy.

Thanks
JB
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Done, and done.

'Course, hotlinking doesn't make any difference if it's to a page which already contained the image anyway. Also, now I'm violating your copyright by hosting a copy of your avatar picture on my own site, and you can't cleverly change the image out from under me either. OH NO.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove

more rocking.

Post by Future Boy »

Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote: But they both have a lot of posts that contribute nothing to nothing as well. Which is why they both have 4 figures in the post count, and a lot of other people don't, like JB and Spud for instance. I think those folks post when they actually have a point to make. (Sorry Admin, I'm not comparing myself to your ultimately wise selves, just making a point)

I am so fucking insulted. I have WAY MORE MEANINGLESS POSTS.

Obviously I shall have to make more just to get my due. Screw you Dan-0-... I am way more meaningless and trite... uh.. I mean...

Damn you. I type too, you bastard.

But seriously, I heard Smalltowns entry for courage...it rocks. So there.

It rocks cause it's got oi's in it. I also totally got off on
Stolar Skye this week.. I thought that was wickedly rocking.. and it's got drum machines! I love cool solid 8th note staccato riffs... they twist in my head and turn me on.

So, calling people out for having opinions on a message board (and lots of them) is ...well, pick an adjective, but I'll hazard to say hypocritical. Typing, talking whatever, the bottom line is, directly insulting people in response to expressing an opinion on a topic in a thread dedicated to discussing the topic doesn't further the conversation, it stalls it out in bullshit. You can do that all you want, but then you're the maker of your own feedback.

I'd like to hear more from people about how they like to rock out...how they feel when they are in that state... and how the intrepret it. Obviously, we're all gonna have a different experience, and that's why I AM interested... fuck, if it was all the same and the same opinions and we agreed, this would be super boring. Stop boring me and start rockin out in the thread for chris'sake... I mean, what do I gotta do, re-read the Starwars thread for the tenth time??????
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Leaf wrote:
Dan-O from Five-O wrote: But they both have a lot of posts that contribute nothing to nothing as well. Which is why they both have 4 figures in the post count, and a lot of other people don't, like JB and Spud for instance. I think those folks post when they actually have a point to make. (Sorry Admin, I'm not comparing myself to your ultimately wise selves, just making a point)

I am so fucking insulted. I have WAY MORE MEANINGLESS POSTS.
My posts are so meaningless, most of them don't even exist. So there. :P
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:You're right, it's EriK. But if we're gonna split hairs, isn't the more common spelling with a "C" and not a "K?
Probably my biggest pet peeve is people who continue to misspell my name after seeing it spelled out and after someone besides myself has mentioned it, citing uncommon usage as an justification for continuing to be incorrect.
Last edited by erik on Mon May 23, 2005 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I can totally see that, Aeryk.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

I can always count on you to be see other people's point of view, Fluffy.