Can we sue God?

Go ahead, get it off your chest.

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
roymond
Owney
Posts: 5098
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:42 pm
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Guitar Rig 5, Rig Kontrol 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, iPad3, Apogee Jam
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank
Location: brooklyn
Contact:

Can we sue God?

Postby roymond » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:09 am

Sen Ernie Chambers suing god, seeks a permanent injunction ordering God to cease certain harmful activities and the making of terroristic threats.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Congratulatons, roymond; you finally managed to write a song I don't really care for." - Märk
User avatar
erik
Toto
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 am
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle
Location: Austin
Contact:

Postby erik » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:04 am

What a jackhole. Suing God to highlight the prevalence of frivolous lawsuits is just asking for trouble. I can't think of any beleivers I know who think god is a person. He might as well have sued gravity.
User avatar
Paco Del Stinko
Scrappy Dappy
Posts: 3133
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:20 am
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko
Location: Massachusetts. God save the Commonwealth!

Postby Paco Del Stinko » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:25 am

I heard that God has a pretty good legal team, though.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
User avatar
bz£
Benji
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:50 am
Location: boston ma

Postby bz£ » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 am

Lawyers can go to heaven?
User avatar
Hoblit
Scrappy Dappy
Posts: 3636
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida Where old people come to die.
Contact:

Postby Hoblit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:58 am

lets say you could sue God...

good luck collecting... be it money or arrest.

Either way, I'm with Erik...this guy is just lookin' for trouble...
User avatar
WeaselSlayer
Hachikō
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:13 pm
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby WeaselSlayer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:41 am

This is the plot of a movie starring Billy Connolly.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
Dingleberry
Posts: 8081
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Postby Caravan Ray » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:34 pm

WeaselSlayer wrote:This is the plot of a movie starring Billy Connolly.

In the Billy Connolly movie, (The Man Who Sued God, written by the wonderful John Clarke) the character sues God because his fishing boat was destroyed by lightning, and his insurance company refuses to compensate him because it was an "Act of God". Connolly sues the Christian and Jewish churches, claiming they are liable for the loss of his livlihood as they are God's representatives on earth. The movie is mainly about shonky insurance companies.
User avatar
anti-m
Hachikō
Posts: 1158
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:00 pm
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe
Location: PDX
Contact:

Postby anti-m » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:38 pm

This is a very Yesmen kind of stunt, methinks... although I think perhaps the Yesmen are funnier.

http://www.theyesmen.org/
User avatar
roymond
Owney
Posts: 5098
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:42 pm
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Guitar Rig 5, Rig Kontrol 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, iPad3, Apogee Jam
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank
Location: brooklyn
Contact:

Postby roymond » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:47 pm

erik wrote:He might as well have sued gravity.

Well yeah, that's the point.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Congratulatons, roymond; you finally managed to write a song I don't really care for." - Märk
User avatar
erik
Toto
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 am
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle
Location: Austin
Contact:

Postby erik » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:58 pm

roymond wrote:
erik wrote:He might as well have sued gravity.

Well yeah, that's the point.


Do you mean, "Yeah, that's the point: that man is an idiot?"

Otherwise, I don't get the point. He sued something that's not a person to show that a lawsuit can be filed against any person. That's poor logic right there.
User avatar
Lord of Oats
Hachikō
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Contact:

Postby Lord of Oats » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:02 pm

At first, I got the impression that he was trying to make an atheist point, not a political one. But I think a friend told me about this and acted like that was the point, so maybe that's where I got that idea. I think suing God because you think he doesn't exist is much funnier, either way.
User avatar
roymond
Owney
Posts: 5098
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:42 pm
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Guitar Rig 5, Rig Kontrol 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, iPad3, Apogee Jam
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank
Location: brooklyn
Contact:

Postby roymond » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:51 pm

erik wrote:
roymond wrote:
erik wrote:He might as well have sued gravity.

Well yeah, that's the point.

Do you mean, "Yeah, that's the point: that man is an idiot?"

Otherwise, I don't get the point. He sued something that's not a person to show that a lawsuit can be filed against any person. That's poor logic right there.

No, he wanted to bring attention to frivolous lawsuits. Apparently there are many people who don't recognize them when they see them, so he made one very obvious.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Congratulatons, roymond; you finally managed to write a song I don't really care for." - Märk
User avatar
erik
Toto
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 am
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle
Location: Austin
Contact:

Postby erik » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:55 pm

No, I get all that. But can you really sue something that's not a person/organization?
User avatar
jack
Scrappy Dappy
Posts: 3737
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:41 am
Location: santa cruz, ca.

Postby jack » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:38 pm

if god is omnipotent, he already knows the verdict.
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." - Mark Twain
User avatar
Caravan Ray
Dingleberry
Posts: 8081
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Postby Caravan Ray » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:48 pm

jack wrote:if god is omnipotent, he already knows the verdict.

I think he knows the verdict because he is omniscient, but being omnipotent means he can also change it :?
User avatar
fodroy
Hachikō
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:06 pm
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak
Location: athens, ga
Contact:

Postby fodroy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:51 pm

I like when people get all dramatic just to make a stupid or obvious point. I can identify with it.
User avatar
roymond
Owney
Posts: 5098
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:42 pm
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Guitar Rig 5, Rig Kontrol 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, iPad3, Apogee Jam
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank
Location: brooklyn
Contact:

Postby roymond » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:02 pm

erik wrote:No, I get all that. But can you really sue something that's not a person/organization?

Perhaps as much as you can bequeath millions of dollars to a dog.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Congratulatons, roymond; you finally managed to write a song I don't really care for." - Märk
User avatar
WeaselSlayer
Hachikō
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:13 pm
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby WeaselSlayer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:45 am

These days: if you're not setting yourself on fire, I'm not paying attention to your stupid opinions!
User avatar
Caravan Ray
Dingleberry
Posts: 8081
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Postby Caravan Ray » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:10 am

erik wrote:No, I get all that. But can you really sue something that's not a person/organization?

But God is a person. The Nicene Creed is very clear on that point. "He became man". Unless you are saying that 2 billion Christians in the world are liars and are able to demonstrate that they are lying when they make an affirmation of their faith - how can you say God is not a person?

He also has many organisations which represent his interests. If we just consider the Catholic Church, it is very much a physical corporate entity with very real assets. The Nicene Creed is effectively a policy statement for the organisation ie. it the Pope is the representative of a real, living person who has real financial assets (managed by his representatives).

Why can't he be sued?
User avatar
erik
Toto
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 am
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle
Location: Austin
Contact:

Postby erik » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 am

Even if one could find a judge who was willing to overlook the fact that other religious texts deny Jesus was God, Jesus is a dead person. I am not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you can't sue dead people in America. If dude wants to sue the Catholic Church, then I have no problem with it.
User avatar
Hoblit
Scrappy Dappy
Posts: 3636
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida Where old people come to die.
Contact:

Postby Hoblit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:08 am

Caravan Ray wrote:
erik wrote:No, I get all that. But can you really sue something that's not a person/organization?

But God is a person. The Nicene Creed is very clear on that point. "He became man". Unless you are saying that 2 billion Christians in the world are liars and are able to demonstrate that they are lying when they make an affirmation of their faith - how can you say God is not a person?

He also has many organisations which represent his interests. If we just consider the Catholic Church, it is very much a physical corporate entity with very real assets. The Nicene Creed is effectively a policy statement for the organisation ie. it the Pope is the representative of a real, living person who has real financial assets (managed by his representatives).

Why can't he be sued?


1. This would depend on which religion you were going by. Not all believers in God believe that he ever manifested as a person.

2. He would still not have any estate. Akin to suing William Shakespear.

I'm no lawyer but just because a whole bunch of people still follow the Nazi party, can you take them to court for crimes Hitler performed? (Even if we wish we could!)
j$
Owney
Posts: 5090
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Postby j$ » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 am

Does He even have a postal address to send the paperwork to?
Lester Bangs is still dead.

Return to “Politics and Other Crap”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest