Thank You

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
phetal
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Laptop (Reason 4), Keys, Vocals!, Immmmmmaaaagination!
Recording Method: Into Microphones, via MIDI, or Cave Drawings
Submitting as: i.p. / Who Fly

Thank You

Post by phetal »

For the few brief years I consider my time of true political awareness, I have had the privilege of observing one of the greatest atrocities in the history of the modern world. This experience is not something I take lightly.

More important, I believe, than me seeing the first major African-American presidential candidate win the presidential election, is that I had the unique and life-changing experience of living through, unquestionably, the worst presidency in the history of a traditionally proud and progressive country.

The involvement of our generation in politics has revolutionized electronic networking, something that will forever be of the utmost importance in elections. As Obama noted, the universal feeling of a need for change overcame the usual apathy associated with people of our generation.

For this great action which we have taken, we owe our thanks to George W. Bush, for leading this country so wrongly that even the naive developing minds of ourselves and others in this voting class could see the scars we would bear forever.

Obama will not be able to fix the economy in one term, nor two. He can not end war. He can not cure the ecological ailments of our planet. But Obama can, immediately, repair our wounded flag, which after nearly a decade of desecration can once again be seen as a symbol of a world leader, rather than the world's greatest threat.

For all of this, I thank Bush, his administration, his backers, and his friends for what I consider to be one of the greatest lessons in life I have ever learned.

As mistake-prone as we are, we have proven that, at least, we can learn from those mistakes. Our resiliency, adaptability, and zeal to make heard what we believe has led us to a point in history that may well define a long period of social, economic, ecologic and diplomatic reform in this country and the entire world.

So thank you, George W. Bush, for your eight years of disservice. Without you we would not know our lows, and may still be living the complacent, ignorant lives we lived when we voted you in. You have shown us our mistakes, and confirmed for us that we can use the amazing diplomatic system we have to bring great trouble upon ourselves.

Thank you, George W. Bush, for setting the standard for failure. You and yours will live in infamy forever, deservingly so, for betraying us. But as this Judas, you have exposed our weakness. We are a more informed populace now, and we will make sure those who share your destructive beliefs will be denied power in this country for as long as we remember these eight years.

Thank you, Georgie, and I'll see you in Hell.
----------------------------------------------
- The Phobias - i.p. - Who Fly - Phetal -
----------------------------------------------
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Re: Thank You

Post by Hoblit »

You shouldn't use absolutes like "unquestionably".
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Hoblit wrote:You shouldn't use absolutes like "unquestionably".
Sure he should. It's a word, people can use it if they please.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

A commentator on a national network last night said about the crowd outside the White House, "I am absolute certain that he can probably hear them". Wow, was she going out on a limb there or what?

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

In most cases, you shouldn't make unqualified blanket statements like that.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Spud wrote:
In most cases, you shouldn't make unqualified blanket statements like that.
I didn't say that you can not use absolutes, I suggested that he "shouldn't". I believe this because there is always room for error. I'm confident that like most other people, I too am qualified to make this type of blanket statement. (Even if we shouldn't!)

I believe his use of "unquestionably" in this case is in fact questionable.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Spud wrote:A commentator on a national network last night said about the crowd outside the White House, "I am absolute certain that he can probably hear them". Wow, was she going out on a limb there or what?

SPUD
It was like she was virtually there!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Like she was literally almost virtually there!

Journalists crack me up these days.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Spud wrote:A commentator on a national network last night said about the crowd outside the White House, "I am absolute certain...
I am more offended by the use of an adjective as an adverb to create a tautology. Two mortal sins in the space of two words.

Take your place up against the wall with the rest of them lady.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Er, that might have been me, Ray. I edited that post a few times, and may have inadvertently changed "absolute certainty" into "absolute certain".

It was definitely the use of "certain" and "probably" that offended me. There is almost always SOME probability of X happening, so it's pretty meaningless to be be certain that it exists.