Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Senator Franken?

Post by JonPorobil »

Because gosh darn it, people like him.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune has already projected a Franken victory, and his opponent, incumbent Norm Coleman, has already filed an injunction for an inspection of so-called "double ballots" to delay the inevitable.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
slats
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, and a midi assortment
Recording Method: Logic Express 8 < MacBookPro < Apogee Duet
Submitting as: Slats - until I come up with something better

Re: Senator Franken?

Post by slats »

I've been expecting this. Franken's voters were more likely to be new and/or underprivileged, and therefore more likely to have errors on their ballots. With Minnesota's liberal recount laws, it made sense that Al would pick up votes once they were examined more closely.

Coleman's facing an FBI investigation, anyway. You'd think he'd be better off just accepting this and slinking off into the sunset.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

When was the last time a Republican politician "just accepted it and slunk off into the sunset?" Really.

I love that Coleman's lawsuit extensively cites Bush v. Gore, the only U.S. Supreme Court case whose ruling contains a clause making it clear that it should never be used as precedent for anything (which, if you think really hard about it, doesn't make much sense for a judicial ruling).

I'm trying to do the Senatorial Math here... Obama and Biden both left empty senate seats, as did Hillary Clinton (Secretary of State designate) and Ken Salazar (Secretary of the Interior designate), which makes four brand-new senators right there (assuming Illinois gets its act straight sometime in the next 377 days), plus Franken taking Coleman's seat, two Udall brothers, Mark Begich, Kay Hagan, Jeanne Shaheen, Mark Warner, Jeff Merkley, and on the Red side of the aisle, Jim Risch and Mike Johanns... That'll be 14 freshman senators in one year. Is that a record?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Generic wrote: That'll be 14 freshman senators in one year. Is that a record?
No, I think the record of 100 was set in 1776. ;)
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Well, it was 26 then, but point taken. :)

roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

frankie big face wrote:
Generic wrote: That'll be 14 freshman senators in one year. Is that a record?
No, I think the record of 100 was set in 1776. ;)
Or 1787, when the senate was formed? Or 1959 when for the first time there were 100 senators?

I know, I know. Couldn't resist though...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Listen, I wasn't sure of the exact number or the year or the details, but I saw an opportunity and I wasn't going to let a little something like the facts get in the way of me using a :wink:, okay?! :mrgreen: