My Life

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Re: My Life

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Olden days as in "people still go trick or treating period?" or "people still go trick or treating during COVID?". The answer is a resounding yes to the first and a "at least here in Fayette County GA". Lots of people happily sitting in chairs a few feet away from their candy bowls, kids frolicking in the evening light, and the usual halloween reveries. The family that usually hands out dixie cups filled with wine to the parents instead was just throwing parachuted candy bags from their balcony. No noticeable COVID-19 spike resulted -- GA's caseload isn't spiking as hard as most other states right now, but we did have a peak mid-summer. I have zero desire to argue lockdown/shelter-in-place politics as really I'm just talking about Halloween, which was a blast with a huge turn out.

But yeah, birds and fish are fine by me. Maybe it'll fade with time. Maybe not. My neighbors are loving all of the free beef from my freezer though.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I meant in Covid, but I didn't mean it as a slight. Reading back it certainly could come off that way. Anything approaching normal (even with extra precautions in place) is a good thing, imo. (We didn't see any kids out at all, but we hid in our house and never have many even on good years.)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

We didn’t see any trick or treaters this year and it was kind of sad although I’m glad they were playing it safe. Even pre-Covid, around here at least it seemed like there’s been a trend where kids would trick or treat at the mall or downtown businesses or whatnot during the day, not in neighborhoods at night.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

We had both a thing at the park that was a group trick or treat the day before as well as trick or treating. The neighborhood next to ours does an annual "best decorated" award to one of the houses, which naturally means everyone there goes hard with their Halloween.

The park affair was a surprise smash hit, and nearly all of the local businesses that showed up with candy ran out within 45m. My street is usually pretty dead, but that's cause all the kids go to the next street!

Also pfjr I didn't read that as a slight, I only mentioned the covid stats for local context!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

There's a lot to be said about full-on frontal covid stats for local context! (Sorry, it's just cool I got quoted in a signature and I couldn't help but play it up.)

You guys have me wishing I made an effort to go see stuff on halloween. Although it was never one of my favorite events even throughout most of my childhood. Definitely not as a parent. I definitely think I'm turning into my father. "GET YOUR PUMPKIN ASS OFF MY LAWN!!!" Still, kids having fun seems like a good thing to see these days.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Apparently another Halloween has come and gone. People say it is a thing now in Australia. I have been waiting to tell children to fuck off. I like doing that. But I haven’t had the opportunity yet.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Anyone else's lips stupidly chapped right now?
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Yeah, now that you mention it.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

No, but I've been using the lip balm. And motorcycling a lot less this winter than in the past. Turns out if you don't have sub zero 70 mph wind blowing on your lips they don't chap as much. Who knew?

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

fluffy wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:22 pm
One of the things which I felt had to give was my administrative duties at Song Fight!. I've never made much of a big deal about it but I've done a lot of stuff behind the scenes over the years, both with administering the forum and also finding/fixing bugs on the site itself. That combined with overworking myself during Song Fight! Live made me realize that I've just been doing way too much stuff and that I need to cut back. So, I'm cutting back, so I can focus more on doing the things I want to do (like, actually making music, and comics, and so on). That's also related to why I'm no longer on the Slack or the Discord. (To everyone who's reached out to make sure I'm okay, thank you so much, I really do appreciate it.)
I've had enough of a break that now I'm ready to get back into being a shadowy background admin.

Fortunately phpBB's particular form of brokenness means that I still have admin access even though I had removed my own admin bit, so no changes necessary from other admins. :)
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Welcome back.

I don't remember where I mentioned it, but I had a motorcycle accident three weeks ago. I'm fine and mostly healed up (just some bruising and hurt pride.) Good news is the bike is rideable if a little worse for wear. I got the mirrors and rear turn signal on yesterday. Some more small repairs to go, but I've been riding it pretty steadily with patches and bungee cords. A friend is gonna upgrade the headlight and balance the carbs for me. Highway bars are going back on soon (those saved me from any real damage.)

Also, I bought a bicycle.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh dang, that's scary! Glad you survived mostly unscathed.

I've been trying to sell my electric bike for a while now, and can't get anyone interested in buying it. My neighbor keeps on warning me that leaving it in my carport will get it stolen but like... I kind of wish it did get stolen? Then at least someone would get some value out of it.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

fluffy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:06 pm
Then at least someone would get some value out of it.
Right?!? A friend (actually, fawmer Charlie Cheney) just got one last month and put 500 miles on it in a few weeks. They look great for transportation assuming you're close enough and in decent enough weather for it to be viable.

I hope someone buys it or you find someone who could really use it to donate it if you decide to go that route.

owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I just bought an e-bike too and I looooove it, maybe not 500 miles in a few weeks but I’ve ridden it a ton. it’s made me want to go biking way more because it’s just fun to ride and takes the annoyance out of hills or long distances.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I haven't ridden a bike since I was like 14... this year I'll be looking in the mirror at 41... life...

(The reason I haven't ridden a bike since then was because I was coming home from playing street hockey one day and a car, pre-cell phone days, wasn't paying attention and was coming right at me which caused me to swerve out of the way while my hockey stick went right into my spokes... next thing I remember was waking up and the car that almost hit me was much further down the street... I walked my scraped up concussed self home and never rode a bike again...)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah I bought the ebike after selling my car, because I wasn’t driving very much and the car was turning into a maintenance headache. But it turned out that not driving a lot meant also not biking a lot to replace it, and the hills of Seattle were still too steep for the motor to be really effective, and everywhere that I did need a car for ended up being dangerous to bike to, and so on.

And then my fibromyalgia started to get really bad.

I ended up buying another car a couple years later, and I think I’ve only put like 50 miles on the bike. And now the battery pack doesn’t hold a charge, and the company that made it stopped making electric bikes so fixing the battery pack is a whole Thing now, and the bike’s too friggin’ heavy to ride without a working battery (since the whole point to it is that the motor is there to help you out).

Now that I live out in the suburbs I’m driving a lot more, too. I was hoping that maybe the bike would be useful again and that it’d be worth getting the battery rebuilt, but the streets (and drivers) here are incredibly bike-hostile.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

fluffy wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:49 am
but the streets (and drivers) here are incredibly bike-hostile.
That sucks.

ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

Oh hai doggy!
-Ujn Hunter
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

This came up today in my feed:
-Ujn Hunter
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

I can't stand bike hostility. Of course I also can't stand the general lack of bike lanes on most roads cause apparently we have to just defer to the almighty car and its super speed and petroleum dependency. I tried biking to work a few times (it's 8.2 miles from my house, almost entirely on a 4 lane state highway with a pretty wide shoulder), and while most of the route has plenty of room to bail if some high velocity nincompoop decides the shoulder is an appropriate place to drive, there are enough sections that narrow that it's still kind of sketch.

Also I learned the other day through parent gossip that apparently the dad of one of the 2nd graders at my kid's school is in the hospital recovering from a hit and run incurred on a bike...so yeah, I dunno. I hate being dependent on cars to get by, but I also enjoy bodily integrity and not being in extreme pain so...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I'm sorry to anyone I've been short with lately. My lovely cat is dying (and I'm having him put to sleep tomorrow), I'm still unable to sell my fucking condo that's been on the market for months, I'm on short-term disability leave from work and in too much pain to actually do anything I enjoy and I'm worried about making ends meet when that runs out, and every slightly negative interaction turns into a focal point for my pent-up frustration. It's unfair of me to take it out on others but the universe isn't answering my phone calls right now.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Where is the traditional bumping of the thread?
fluffy wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:43 pm
...but the universe isn't answering my phone calls right now.
It was great seeing you and meeting Spud in December. We had a great time. I hope you're doing well.

So I have news in my life. I'm a college student again after 27(ish) years. It's weird. And strange. And overwhelming. And kinda cool, too. I'll be around still but maybe not as much. Or maybe just as much. It probably depends on what courses I'm taking. If I disappear sometime in the next 16 months then I intend to come back no later than May/June 2023, but I think that I can manage some album art entries and an occasional song entry. We'll see.