9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Post by Chumpy »

While this example isn't exactly a 'Cookie Monster' song because it's screamed in a higher register, there is some undeniable energy you can get from screaming. I love the first line of this song, CAN I SCREAM!? And when the singer screams a cappella at the end, it's powerful.

"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

BBABM wrote:Cookie monster example :
Is screaming a mechanism to make this seem more "manly"?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

BBABM wrote:Cookie monster example :
So the thing about this example is that this is pretty technically-proficient stuff, and isn't the sort of thing I'm talking about. It's not the screaming itself I have a problem with, per se - it's the rest of the package, where it's all just people cranking their amps up until you can't even tell what notes are being played while the drummer does BAdaBAdaBAdaBAdaBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM at 180bpm and you can kind of make out the vocalist going "I WILL EAT YOUR BRAAAAAAAAAAAAINS" or maybe "LIFE IS ENDLESS PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN" or "VEGAN FOOD IS GRAAAAAAAAAAINS" or something but you really can't tell what is actually being said (or at least I can't).

I mean I do have to wonder what the screaming accomplishes that singing wouldn't, but that's not the specific attribute I'm focusing on.
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

fluffy wrote: "VEGAN FOOD IS GRAAAAAAAAAAINS" or something but you really can't tell what is actually being said (or at least I can't).

I mean I do have to wonder what the screaming accomplishes that singing wouldn't, but that's not the specific attribute I'm focusing on.
I think I may be beginning to understand what you're talking about, and I think you may not be seeing the whole picture. The best way I can think to explain this is that for many such bands (sludge\grind\filth bands for example) its not as much about the music, as it is the atmosphere the performance creates. The singer is a monster, and monsters don't sing pretty, they growl, hiss, and spit. Its an attempt to be as filthy and decrepit as possible. There are "scary" bands that can sing and still create a spooky atmosphere, but to be truly rotten, it can't be pretty.

Its not for everyone. I like it, but I can easily see why it would put people off, especially with out the entire context of the performance.