Currently Playing ...

I beat Gyruss once.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Currently Playing ...

Post by The Weakest Suit »

i finally started (again) and finished twilight princess. i found it to be the best zelda game i have ever played. i especially liked the second half of the game. the first half had the fire level (death mountain), the water level, and the forest level that we all expect, but the second half is where everything got really interesting. the temple of time, the arbiter's temple, the yeti's house, the sky temple, and the twili temple were incredibly fun to play. the whole second half of the game is filled with new weapons and levels that have never been in a zelda game before, but fit in perfectly with the gameplay. so much fun. the only part i didn't like is that you had to go through a menu everytime you changed from link to wolf. i wish it would have just been a button on the controller. has anyone else finished this game?
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, I only had a few tiny gripes with that game overall. Some of the later puzzles were a little too timing-fiddly for my tastes, and the end boss sequence, while very pretty and nice-looking, was a bit of a letdown gameplay-wise. Also, the whole "these characters you dealt with earlier suddenly show up to save your ass in a hamfisted and unnecessary way" bit felt a bit strange.

I should play it again though. I loved it a lot, much more than, say, Ocarina. I still think Link to the Past was the best Zelda but TP is definitely one of the best ones, as far as gaming experiences go.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Which version of Twilight Princess would you guys recommend - Gamecube or Wii? I'm thinking of picking it up since I loved Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker so much, but I'm not sure which version to get.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I played it on Wii, and felt it was a pretty good match. The Gamecube version probably has the same fiddly aiming problems that Wind Waker had, and even the GC version had its overall UI altered to be more Wii-like (with the item selection wheel and so on).

The graphics are the same, except that the Wii version is an exact mirror image, because Miyamoto is a goofball. (You can easily tell which version a screenshot came from by which hand Link is holding his sword in, or which eye Midna's goofy hat covers.) If it would really bother you that Hyrule is laid out differently than in the other games (more than the ability to naturally aim your projectile weapons), then you should go with the Gamecube version.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I thought that the "natural" aiming was something of a misnomer... enough that I'd recommend the Gamecube version, myself. But, as in many things, I'm somewhat in the minority opinion.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Doesn't the Wii version have widescreen support and the Gamecube doesn't? I might be mistaken... Also Link is Left Handed like all the cool people in the world. It was flipped on the Wii not because Miyamoto is a goofball, but because Nintendo realized that most people are right handed and would swing the Wiimote with their right hand, therefore making Link swing with his right hand. Lame.

Yes, I'm a southpaw.

Edit: Oh, I'm currently playing through Mass Effect, so I can import my Shepard into Mass Effect 2.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

ujnhunter wrote:Doesn't the Wii version have widescreen support and the Gamecube doesn't? I might be mistaken... Also Link is Left Handed like all the cool people in the world. It was flipped on the Wii not because Miyamoto is a goofball, but because Nintendo realized that most people are right handed and would swing the Wiimote with their right hand, therefore making Link swing with his right hand. Lame.
Yes, that's why they flipped Link. They flipped the rest of the world around Link because Miyamoto is a goofball.

I thought the Gamecube version did widescreen too, but yeah if it doesn't, that's another reason to go Wii.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

ujnhunter wrote:Link is Left Handed like all the cool people in the world.
Yeah, it's great. People instantly become my friends when they see me make out a check to them with my left hand.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

jast wrote:
ujnhunter wrote:Link is Left Handed like all the cool people in the world.
Yeah, it's great. People instantly become my friends when they see me make out a check to them with my left hand.
People instantly become my friend when they see me make a check out to them with my right hand.

At least, until it bounces.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Mega Man 10 drops next week, but in the meantime, I've been playing this high-quality hack of MM2 called Rockman No Constancy.

They redid all the levels and boss abilities. Aside from the names of the baddies, this doesn't bear much resemblance to the original at all. Very fun to play, and hard as all get out.

Apparently there's a "Difficult" mode where the enemies do double damage, you do half damage, and you have almost no invincibility when you get hit. Yikes! I'm playing on "normal" and it's kicked my behind.

Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

Generic wrote:Mega Man 10 drops next week
Which console you getting it on? I have mega man 9 for wii, but I'm thinking of holding out to get the ps3 version of this one ...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Isn't 10 going to be Wii-only?
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:Isn't 10 going to be Wii-only?
Nope. All three. But the Wii version comes out first.

Reist, Wii is the only console I own, so there's your answer.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Ah, cool. In that case, PS3 for me.

The other day I ordered Heavy Rain. It hasn't arrived yet. I'm looking forward to playing a game which seems to be what Shenmue aspired to be without what made Shenmue completely un-fun to interact with. I loved the demo.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

If I buy Mega Man 10 it will be for Wii... I like the NES feeling of it all... I'm currently jumping between Demon's Souls (PS3), Shiren The Wanderer 3 (Wii) & Mass Effect (Xbox 360)
-Ujn Hunter
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

ujnhunter wrote:Demon's Souls
How is that one? I'm hoping to expand my ps3 library in the coming months, and Demon's Souls is on my to-get list.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

Reist wrote:
ujnhunter wrote:Demon's Souls
How is that one? I'm hoping to expand my ps3 library in the coming months, and Demon's Souls is on my to-get list.
I think it is amazing. That being said, you have to know what it is you're getting into! You have to advance through the "dungeons" very carefully and slowly. If you just run through doors, etc... you WILL DIE. There is an online component to the game, where people can leave helpful notes and hints for you, such as "standing here is safe" & "ambush ahead" etc... If you understand that the game is not just a run and slash type of game then you will be in awe of the environments and enemy bosses, and you will feel amazing when you beat a level or a boss. However! If you become frustrated easily by more difficult (but not cheap! every time you die, it is your mistake!) games then maybe you should look elsewhere. If you are patient and understand how it works then you will be rewarded and it will feel good! :)
-Ujn Hunter
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

ujnhunter wrote:If you understand that the game is not just a run and slash type of game then you will be in awe of the environments and enemy bosses, and you will feel amazing when you beat a level or a boss.
That sounds pretty good - I'm playing Uncharted right now, and I've had to turn off my God of War instinct and learn to be slower and more cautious to not get killed constantly.
ujnhunter wrote:However! If you become frustrated easily by more difficult (but not cheap! every time you die, it is your mistake!) games then maybe you should look elsewhere. If you are patient and understand how it works then you will be rewarded and it will feel good! :)
I love the old mega man games, do those count as difficult/not cheap?

This sounds like a game I could go for. If only PS3 games were cheaper though, I'm running low on funds.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

Picked up Pure the other day since it was added to the 360 games for download.

Pretty good so far. It's like SSX but with ATVs instead of snowboards.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

Reist wrote:
ujnhunter wrote:However! If you become frustrated easily by more difficult (but not cheap! every time you die, it is your mistake!) games then maybe you should look elsewhere. If you are patient and understand how it works then you will be rewarded and it will feel good! :)
I love the old mega man games, do those count as difficult/not cheap?

This sounds like a game I could go for. If only PS3 games were cheaper though, I'm running low on funds.
Yes, I'd say the old Mega Man games (at least 1 and 2 as that is all I used to play) were difficult but not cheap, just well designed and beatable if you cared to get better at it. As far as cheaper games go, not sure if you have Target up in Calgary but I know in the states Demon's Souls was going for $40+/- on sale at Target for awhile.
-Ujn Hunter
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

ujnhunter wrote:As far as cheaper games go, not sure if you have Target up in Calgary but I know in the states Demon's Souls was going for $40+/- on sale at Target for awhile.
Nah, we don't have target. We also don't have $40 dollar price tags, haha. Of course, there's always the option of waiting for a used copy, but I'm too damn impatient.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

Yesterday I beat Airball (an unreleased Tengen reproduction cart) for the NES (Retro Duo) on Medium difficulty. In those days when you had to beat a game in one session, they didn't offer save files or even passwords! Sheesh! Also the ending was pretty rad... well... it was basically just a short ass animation and a "You win!", amazing. :P
-Ujn Hunter