Super Mario Galaxy

I beat Gyruss once.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Super Mario Galaxy

Post by ujnhunter »

I have no idea? It showed up as the newest level unlocked and had a star? If I can skip it and play another level I'd rather do that...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I gave up on that game shortly after the second Bowser fight but I don't remember there ever being a point that there was only a single level available (certainly not the challenge levels), except at the very beginning. Have you been feeding the Lumas?
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

So the sequel came out this week. I've gotten a few galaxies in, and it plays more or less the same as the old one - with the addition of a couple of gameplay elements (Yoshi!), but a severe cutback on story. I guess this is only a problem if you're looking for something with as epic a scope as the first one, but like I said, the gameplay is pretty much the same. I'm having fun so far.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

In the first one I always felt like the main villain was the camera. I've heard they fixed it. True/false?
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:In the first one I always felt like the main villain was the camera. I've heard they fixed it. True/false?
That's not as easy a question as it may sound. By the end of the first one, I'd pretty much gotten used to the camera foibles. There have been a couple of parts of SMG2 in which it is unclear how close you are to the edge, &c, and a couple of parts so far where moving the camera is not allowed (which I still think should be a punishable offense), but overall it's been very playable.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I wish more games supported the classic controller.

Oh well. I'll probably pick SMG2 up some day. I was disappointed in the first one but it sounds like all the things I hated about the first one (convoluted level selection for the purpose of "story," limited gameplay mechanics, and a few other little quibbles) are fixed in the second. Plus, it has Yoshi.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:I wish more games supported the classic controller.

Oh well. I'll probably pick SMG2 up some day. I was disappointed in the first one but it sounds like all the things I hated about the first one (convoluted level selection for the purpose of "story," limited gameplay mechanics, and a few other little quibbles) are fixed in the second. Plus, it has Yoshi.
Yeah, it doesn't have the "convoluted" level selection, but I kind of miss that, oddly enough. Now there's a 2-D overworld screen, kinda like Super Mario Bros. 3. What did you mean by "limited gameplay mechanics?" I thought there was all kinds of cool stuff going on in the first one.

I was nervous about Yoshi when I saw the first trailers, but he handles pretty easily. I think they have some kind of aiming optimization going on with the Wiimote control. I just wish Yoshi could spit things out at an upward angle sometimes.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

The core gameplay just seemed like a lot of samey stuff over and over, until you got to special levels which were just obnoxiously-done.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:The core gameplay just seemed like a lot of samey stuff over and over, until you got to special levels which were just obnoxiously-done.
I didn't think that was a problem in the first one, but if you did think it was an issue, I suspect the addition of (several types of) ridable Yoshi and certain items like the Drill Bit might mollify you. On the other hand, they might just feel like token extensions of "variety" in a game that plays more or less the same as Super Mario Galaxy [1] throughout. I liked Super Mario Galaxy [1] enough that this is a selling point for me. If you didn't make it through the first one, maybe you'll want to rent the sequel before buying.

Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

fluffy wrote:The core gameplay just seemed like a lot of samey stuff over and over, until you got to special levels which were just obnoxiously-done.
I think you'll like SMG2 then - it's got a lot more variety than the first. I've had a lot more fun playing it, and the camera seems less annoying to me.

Mind you, I just bought Uncharted 2 today, so I probably won't be playing SMG2 for quite a while. :)
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

fluffy wrote:I wish more games supported the classic controller.
This is the reason why my Wii playing days are few and far between.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.