JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

I'm getting a Wii

Post by JonPorobil »

Today I found out that I'm about to benefit from a financial windfall, and so I can finally afford to join the next generation of gaming. I'm budgeting a set amount of money for a Wii and stuff for it (which is to say, games and accessories).

So, to those community members who own Wiis, I pose this question: what do you really need to get the most from the system, and which accessories are actually just useless?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Re: I'm getting a Wii

Post by HeuristicsInc »

We got the ebgames wii bundle last month or so. It came with Wii, nunchuck, etc.
Inside the bundle were also a charging station, an extra nunchuck, Wii Play, and Super Mario Galaxy.
Oh and a total of 4 controllers, good for 4-person sports play.
The nunchuck is useful. We haven't used the second one yet.
I am thinking the recharger will be good, although everything came with batteries included and none of them have run out yet. However at least two are low battery so I think this will be very good to have soon.
SMG is a great game.
Wii Play is okay, but we haven't used it that much.
As far as other accessories, Super Mario Kart comes with one wheel but I found that I liked the bare controller better than the wheel.
Oh, we also bought a SD card for backing up savegames and downloaded games. I think that will be good to have, just in case.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Wii Sports Resort is pretty good
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Do those Wii motion plus things make a huge difference? How many games actually use them?
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

So far, I think only Wii Sports Resort supports it, but there it does make a huge difference. Makes you wonder why they didn't ship the original Wiimote with a built-in gyroscope... oh yeah, they wanted to make more money. Always sell useful things as add-ons for extra cash, folks!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I just got WiiFit.

That is awesome. I am the KING of hula hooping
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

So - I understand that my Wii connects to the internet. But I don't really understand why. What is the point?

Am I able to play games against other people on-line? How does that work?

Does anyone want to take me on in a sword fight? I games I have are Resort Sports, Wii Sport, Wii Fit and Dora the Explorer Ice Princess.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

I am so excited about this

http://www.rugbyleague3.com/index.php

To be released March 18

Visceral Wii Remote motion controls bring the physicality of Rugby League into your living room

bring it on!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

jast wrote:So far, I think only Wii Sports Resort supports it, but there it does make a huge difference. Makes you wonder why they didn't ship the original Wiimote with a built-in gyroscope... oh yeah, they wanted to make more money. Always sell useful things as add-ons for extra cash, folks!
And also they hadn't designed and built it yet (or did you think they just magically appear in the night when the Nintendelves wave their magic wands?), and had a controller that worked plenty well enough for a start. I don't have a gyroscope in my wiitrollers and yet I don't cry myself to sleep over the lack. I still have lots of fun knocking over BoomBlox and kicking those little bitches asses at Tennis.

:P
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

jb wrote:(or did you think they just magically appear in the night when the Nintendelves wave their magic wands?)
Oh, is that not how the Wii was developed? Sorry, my fault.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

Caravan Ray wrote:So - I understand that my Wii connects to the internet. But I don't really understand why. What is the point?

Am I able to play games against other people on-line? How does that work?

Does anyone want to take me on in a sword fight? I games I have are Resort Sports, Wii Sport, Wii Fit and Dora the Explorer Ice Princess.
There is no point. :P But seriously some games you can play online against other people if you both have each others "friend code" and you are both online playing the same game at the same time... and each game has a unique "friend code"... it is a rather silly way to do things... I've never personally played my Wii online because of this. Also you can buy downloadable games from the Wii shop, or use the Wii weather channel etc if you are connected online I think.

However, If you'd like to play online... I challenge you to a duel in Dora the Explorer Ice Princess! Bring it!
-Ujn Hunter
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I've tried connecting with various friends on the Wii (including some on Songfight), but the machines never seem to be able to see each other. You can also play certain games with strangers online, but you just get thrown in a room with random people - there's no usernames, no friend system, no chat, nothing like that, so it's highly limited in that regard. C-Ray, I'm fairly sure that none of the games in your collection support online connectivity. If a games supports it, it'll say right on the front cover of the box.

About that:

I'm huge Nintendo fanboy, and have been for my whole life, but they really screwed the pooch on this one. Nintendo treated Wifi connectivity like some premium feature that only the most hardcore gamers would want or need, and only on some games, and as a result their internet play is clunky, unintuitive, unreliable, and not very fun. Sony and Microsoft treated Wifi connectivity as a core tenet of how their systems work, and they're both blowing Nintendo out of the water among serious gamers right now. I can hardly imagine life without Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Wii Sports, but given that I only have enough money for one system, there are definitely times when I regret my choice.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Generic wrote:I can hardly imagine life without Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Wii Sports, but given that I only have enough money for one system, there are definitely times when I regret my choice.
If it makes you feel any better, I still feel like a moron for buying a 360.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i think the main advantage is that your friends' miis go to your consoles. then they show up as teammates in baseball and whatnot. that can be fun. but it's not necessary.

oh and it will update the operating system over the net.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

i could just give you my wii. there's not one thing coming out for it that i want. depressing that it is really only just a gamecube with different controls. i really liked the gamecube, but man, you have to advance in technology if you are in the video game field.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

The Weakest Suit wrote:i could just give you my wii. there's not one thing coming out for it that i want. depressing that it is really only just a gamecube with different controls. i really liked the gamecube, but man, you have to advance in technology if you are in the video game field.
What games do you have for it? What kind of games do you like? Granted my Wii does go a bit unloved in my household compared to my Xbox 360, but I play it more than my PS3. The Wii does have a really nice collection of exclusive games for it. There are probably some really cool games that you'd passed by (I know everyone is always looking at the next best thing coming out... but there are gems to be had in older titles you may have missed!) like:

"Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy", "Captain Rainbow"*, "Dewy's Adventure", "Disaster: Day of Crisis"*+, "Elebits", "Ghost Squad", "The House of the Dead: Overkill", "Klonoa", "MadWorld", "Mercury Meltdown Revolution", "Muramasa: The Demon Blade", "No More Heroes", "No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle", "Ōkami", "Opoona", "Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition", "Shiren the Wanderer", "Sin and Punishment 2"*!, "Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes"*, "Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars", "Wario Land: Shake It!" & "Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure"

* Only available in Japan (unless you can play imports), *+ Only available in Japan/Europe (unless you can play imports), *! Only available in Japan but coming soon to North America

All of those older titles are games I own and can personally vouch for being groovy! They can all be had for $20 or less (except the newest games...) so if you've missed out on any of these games, I'd suggest giving them a go before ditching your unloved Wii. :)
-Ujn Hunter