ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Why I just bought an Xbox...

Post by ken »

I own a Wii. I enjoy it. I mostly play Super Mario with friends on it. However, my wife loves the Beatles and she wanted Beatles Rock Band so she could rock out with her favorite band. She insisted she needed the Beatles instruments to go with it. So, I started looking around and it turns out that the Beatles Rock Band with the Beatles instruments for Wii is not only scarce, it is super expensive. If you can even find this bundle, it costs $400-500 new. Yikes! For some reason, that same box costs a whole helluva lot less for other systems. My neighborhood Gamestop had it for Xbox for $99! Well, it ended up being a whole lot cheaper to buy a refurbished Xbox from them ($120) and the Beatles Rock Band set ($99). So that is what I did. Add a couple of other games (Viva Pinata for her ($10) and Brutal Legend for me ($20)) and a one year warranty, and I think I got a pretty good deal and a great surprise for my wife on the last night of Hanukkah.

So besides just putting this out there for folks in a similar situation. What should I do with this Xbox? What do I need to know and what games are not to be missed?

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Re: Why I just bought an Xbox...

Post by BBABM »

If you like first person shooters, halo is always a favorite. Plus that's An xbox exclusive game. I love my wii too, but some of the things are really expensive.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

ken wrote:I own a Wii. I enjoy it. I mostly play Super Mario with friends on it. However, my wife loves the Beatles and she wanted Beatles Rock Band so she could rock out with her favorite band. She insisted she needed the Beatles instruments to go with it. So, I started looking around and it turns out that the Beatles Rock Band with the Beatles instruments for Wii is not only scarce, it is super expensive. If you can even find this bundle, it costs $400-500 new. Yikes! For some reason, that same box costs a whole helluva lot less for other systems. My neighborhood Gamestop had it for Xbox for $99! Well, it ended up being a whole lot cheaper to buy a refurbished Xbox from them ($120) and the Beatles Rock Band set ($99). So that is what I did. Add a couple of other games (Viva Pinata for her ($10) and Brutal Legend for me ($20)) and a one year warranty, and I think I got a pretty good deal and a great surprise for my wife on the last night of Hanukkah.

So besides just putting this out there for folks in a similar situation. What should I do with this Xbox? What do I need to know and what games are not to be missed?

Ken
That's weird. When Beatles Rock Band first came out, we bought the Wii version new with all the instruments for $200. Also a Chanukah present, incidentally.

If I had more disposable income, I'd probably get an XBox, because we don't do much with the Wii. It's good for first party games (the Mario games, when they come out, are top-notch, and I'm having a lot of fun with Donkey Kong Country Returns), but the worthwhile Wii releases are few and far between. It also leaves a lot to be desired from its online functionality and (lack of) community.

I don't have any advice for what to do with the XBox now that you have it, however. Enjoy.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I enjoy my xbox greatly, far more than when I had the wii.

To answer your question, Ken, it would be good to know what types of games you are into.

And since you have Beatles Rock Band, you might as well get Rock Band 3.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Honestly, I try avoid anything that keeps me from making music. Lately, if I want to relax I just watch TV.

I have fun playing video games with my friends and wife. Suggestions on games that are fun to play with others is best, and some that are geared towards ladies that aren't really into video games. Rockband is on the list, as is Guitar Hero Aerosmith.

I was also looking for tips on if it is any good for internet or movies or whatever. Not totally hacker stuff, but if there are any interesting non-video game stuff I want to know.

Thanks!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

you can stream netflix from the xbox, but you can do that on the wii too... unfortunately, most of the games on xbox are mostly geared towards 18-27 year old males who live and die for video games. most of the fun party games, and "kid" games (games for people who are not very good at/ dont care much about video games) are actually on the wii, as it is mostly marketed towards families, and children.
suggestions of games i think you, and your wife may enjoy would be any of the LEGO games. they have batman, indiana jones, star wars, and harry potter. they are a really easy to play, but hard to master, have hours and hours of replay value trying to find all the little secrets, and are single screen multi-player. im pretty sure they are on all the systems. me and my girlfriend have played a few of them, the best part is the challenges involve a lot of teamwork, which doesnt make anyone feel left out.
i must admit, i never really got into guitar hero, as a guitarist my hands wanted to work differently than the controller was meant to work. however, the DJ hero game was surprisingly realistic, and felt like a real turntable. i am really excited about the new guitar games that they are going to be coming out with that use a real stringed guitar.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Also, to get Netflix on the XBox, you have to pay extra for a Live subscription (unlike on the Wii which is free by disc, and PS3 which is free from the main UI and also in HD).

I don't know many XBox games, personally, but if you'd gone the slightly-more-expensive PS3 route I'd have had lots of suggestions. :) Oh well. If you like racing games I hear that Forza is good (and better than Gran Turismo these days).
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

Wii has Netflix as an app, with no disk now.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Oh, even better. Of course it can never do HD but that's not a huge deal on Netflix anyway.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

I've also got Netflix streaming on my HD bluray player and it looks a lot better than when it streams on the Wii.

blgisonsongfight
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Bootlegged Waters
Pronouns: he

Post by blgisonsongfight »

I say-although I suppose this depends on what type of gamer you are-the next step is DEFINITELY to get a Kinect. Admitting I don't even have an Xbox, but the short time I've spent on the Kinect was definitely near the most fun I've had playing video games, as well as the most amazing technology I've ever seen.