Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

There can be only one.
User avatar
vowlvom
Galago
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 am
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by vowlvom »

glennny wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:26 pm
Is the challenge really limit to 2 tracks of instruments
and infinite tracks for vocals?
No, the challenge is:

Use exactly two instruments (plus vocals) to create your song. In the case of synths / keyboards / FX pedals, one patch = one instrument.

If you want to make your guitar sound like a bass then go for it, but don't be surprised if some / all of the judges object to it when putting their rankings together.
User avatar
glennny
Chimpanzee
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:39 am
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene
Location: Castro Valley, California

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by glennny »

Sounds like I can make a drum track out of my guitar.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
User avatar
glennny
Chimpanzee
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:39 am
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene
Location: Castro Valley, California

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by glennny »

If you want to make your guitar sound like a bass then go for it, but don't be surprised if some / all of the judges object to it when putting their rankings together.
Is that as a challenge violation?
or for playing lawyer ball?
or because it might not sound good?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
owl
Capuchin
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 1:29 pm
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by owl »

glennny wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:58 pm
If you want to make your guitar sound like a bass then go for it, but don't be surprised if some / all of the judges object to it when putting their rankings together.
Is that as a challenge violation?
or for playing lawyer ball?
or because it might not sound good?
Yes.
User avatar
Generic
Gorilla
Posts: 5451
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 5AI, Cubase 6
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by Generic »

Here's all you need to know for my song.

"Chupacabra" is from Spanish, translating literally to "goat sucker." "Cabra" means "Goat," "Chupa," from the infinitive "Chupar," meaning "To suck." Young goats are called "kids." So are young humans. My lyrics compare a certain public figure's policies to "taking kids," and therefore implies that said public figure is the Chupacabra.

I used electric guitar and electric bass.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Jon Eric - Get your feel on.
Website powered by Spud's Amazing Website Machine.

Circle of Titles!!!!!!
User avatar
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Posts: 8363
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by Caravan Ray »

owl wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:05 am
glennny wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:58 pm
If you want to make your guitar sound like a bass then go for it, but don't be surprised if some / all of the judges object to it when putting their rankings together.
Is that as a challenge violation?
or for playing lawyer ball?
or because it might not sound good?
Yes.
Screw "The Man" Glennny. You do what feels right!!
frankie big face
Loris
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:26 pm
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face
Location: Lancaster, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by frankie big face »

Lunkhead wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:27 pm
+1 to being bummed about you dropping our rain. :( Hope you heal up quickly and well. This is an especially rough time for having medical/health issues.

OK, sorry to be "that guy" but ... this rule seems very oriented toward participants made up of single individuals. For a band, let's say, if two people play nylon string/classical guitar, does that count as two instruments ... ? It's physically/literally two different instruments but that's because we can't share the same one right now due to the pandemic. They're going to sound basically the same. It'd be like if we both had the same keyboard and used the same preset, which sort of sounds like it would be ok ... ?
My understanding is you can’t have multiple tracks of the same instrument. At least not sounding simultaneously. The examples they have have one track of each instrument, not layered tracks of each instrument.

And boo hoo for bands! Every week is an advantage for bands because you don’t all participate every week. You can literally have someone in rain’s situation and still continue. So again, I say, boo hoo!
User avatar
vowlvom
Galago
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 am
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by vowlvom »

frankie big face wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:36 am
My understanding is you can’t have multiple tracks of the same instrument. At least not sounding simultaneously. The examples they have have one track of each instrument, not layered tracks of each instrument.
We're not saying you can't - it all falls into the risk / reward stuff outlined by Glenn somewhere above. Double-tracking an acoustic guitar probably won't get you in trouble, recording two tracks of piano that could probably be played simultaneously by an expert player - who's to know? But the further you push it, the more you risk one of the judges pushing back. That's how I see it anyway, I'm not trying to speak for the pack.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Posts: 8363
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by Caravan Ray »

vowlvom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 am
frankie big face wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:36 am
My understanding is you can’t have multiple tracks of the same instrument. At least not sounding simultaneously. The examples they have have one track of each instrument, not layered tracks of each instrument.
We're not saying you can't - it all falls into the risk / reward stuff outlined by Glenn somewhere above. Double-tracking an acoustic guitar probably won't get you in trouble, recording two tracks of piano that could probably be played simultaneously by an expert player - who's to know? But the further you push it, the more you risk one of the judges pushing back. That's how I see it anyway, I'm not trying to speak for the pack.
I have made a perfectly good song with just one instrument. Can I give my superfluous instrument to glennnny? Or should I just keep my instrument to myself like the Judge said?
frankie big face
Loris
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:26 pm
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face
Location: Lancaster, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by frankie big face »

vowlvom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 am
frankie big face wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:36 am
My understanding is you can’t have multiple tracks of the same instrument. At least not sounding simultaneously. The examples they have have one track of each instrument, not layered tracks of each instrument.
We're not saying you can't - it all falls into the risk / reward stuff outlined by Glenn somewhere above. Double-tracking an acoustic guitar probably won't get you in trouble, recording two tracks of piano that could probably be played simultaneously by an expert player - who's to know? But the further you push it, the more you risk one of the judges pushing back. That's how I see it anyway, I'm not trying to speak for the pack.
Maybe you guys should consider making challenges that don't take the entire week to sort out.
User avatar
vowlvom
Galago
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 am
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by vowlvom »

:roll:

If attempting to clarify isn't helping, fine. You can go back to complaining after the judging.
frankie big face
Loris
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:26 pm
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face
Location: Lancaster, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by frankie big face »

vowlvom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:15 am
:roll:

If attempting to clarify isn't helping, fine. You can go back to complaining after the judging.
Oh come on. I was just being playful. (Cheeky? Is that what you say?)

You have to admit the whole "risk/reward" thing is not a good substitute for clarity of communication. And having judges who interpret the challenges in their own personal way is not great either, especially when you all seem to put a tremendous amount of weight into that part of the game.

Also, I don't think questioning one comment by one judge merits your characterization of me. I didn't complain at all about the fact that I was in the top three this week for four judges and next-to-last on the fifth. So give me a break, dude.
User avatar
WreckdoMelle
Marmoset
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:18 am
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: WreckdoM, Brown Word and the Big Whine
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Submitted shadow song, drums and bass guitar. It's not literally about a chupacabra, or maybe it is. I hadn't much more to say about the goat-sucking than I did, I went with a tongue-in-cheek approach (Brown Word clearly does not take itself all that seriously as it is) and thought what sort of person might be compared to a chupacabra, or coming the other way, if it were about an actual chupacabra, what sort of attitude would a chupacabra have to have to find itself a place in society? All that musing is far more complex than the song itself, which isn't really designed to arouse any sympathy for our hero, the literal-or-not chupacabra, who simply is into living life.
YYYYYeeeeeaaaaahhhhh boy, I tell ya!

Brown Word and the Big Whine has an EP out:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp ... timekiller
User avatar
furrypedro
Loris
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:06 pm
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost
Location: Kyoto
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by furrypedro »

Frankie, quit yer fucking whining
User avatar
Lunkhead
Gorilla
Posts: 6566
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by Lunkhead »

(This is just a side bar, I don't assume anybody cares, but just fyi having a band is not necessarily as "easy" as you may think it is. There is a lot of communication and coordination overhead, and compromising, that isn't present for a solo act. I'm not complaining, it's great, but it's not necessarily shangri la in terms of productivity. And we don't just take turns and make it a relay race. Generally everyone participates because that's kind of the point of being a "band" at least for us.)
mo
Marmoset
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:46 pm
Instruments: guitar, bass
Recording Method: behringer umc202hd, Bias FX, Reaper
Submitting as: duboce triangle
Location: hell a

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by mo »

[attachment=0]tenor.gif[/attachment
Attachments
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (1.8 MiB) Viewed 146 times
User avatar
seemanski
A New Player
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 12:54 pm
Instruments: Guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: seemanski
Location: Sheffield

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by seemanski »

Just submitted my entry, I had this elaborate plan in my head about 2 guitars playing off each other but I realised I don't have the patience, so instead I unashamedly just went down the white stripes route and found a nice loud drum machine, thrashed my guitar as hard as I could and sang (bleated on occasion) as loud as I could. Not sure it will be enough but at least I had fun.

I decided to write about a video game, it was going to be about a goat puzzle from one of my favourite point and click adventure games but that didn't pan out so instead I just went with all the crazy stuff you can do on goat simulator.
mo
Marmoset
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:46 pm
Instruments: guitar, bass
Recording Method: behringer umc202hd, Bias FX, Reaper
Submitting as: duboce triangle
Location: hell a

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by mo »

seemanski wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:07 pm
I decided to write about a video game, it was going to be about a goat puzzle from one of my favourite point and click adventure games but that didn't pan out so instead I just went with all the crazy stuff you can do on goat simulator.
As long as it’s not goatse simulator
frankie big face
Loris
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:26 pm
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face
Location: Lancaster, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by frankie big face »

Lunkhead wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am
(This is just a side bar, I don't assume anybody cares, but just fyi having a band is not necessarily as "easy" as you may think it is. There is a lot of communication and coordination overhead, and compromising, that isn't present for a solo act. I'm not complaining, it's great, but it's not necessarily shangri la in terms of productivity. And we don't just take turns and make it a relay race. Generally everyone participates because that's kind of the point of being a "band" at least for us.)
I was just razzing you, but I do remember once someone in a band was out of town or otherwise busy and that just can't happen with a solo act so there are obviously advantages and disadvantages. If I get sick or need to go out of town for week (not likely right now), I'm done. If you have a five-piece band, you just carry one like it's nothing. Having to limit yourself to two instruments and vocals seems like a pretty minor problem for a band - that's all.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Posts: 8363
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by Caravan Ray »

furrypedro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 am
Frankie, quit yer fucking whining
Leave Frankie alone and go and find some soap you pommie bastard
mo
Marmoset
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:46 pm
Instruments: guitar, bass
Recording Method: behringer umc202hd, Bias FX, Reaper
Submitting as: duboce triangle
Location: hell a

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by mo »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 pm
furrypedro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 am
Frankie, quit yer fucking whining
Leave Frankie alone and go and find some soap you pommie bastard
Now this is the content I come here for
User avatar
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Posts: 8363
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Two "Chupacabra"

Post by Caravan Ray »

mo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 pm
furrypedro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 am
Frankie, quit yer fucking whining
Leave Frankie alone and go and find some soap you pommie bastard
Now this is the content I come here for
Thanks Mo. Do I get extra points?
Post Reply