Moderator: Mods

josh
Fortune Teller
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals
Recording Method: Reaper, Scarlett 2i4
Submitting as: Zack Facco

Re: Nur Ein XI- Round One

Postby josh » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:22 am

The nice thing about throwing a capo on is that you can make use of all the same tricks that work in open position. Plus it sounds completely different using a capo vs. barring. I'll play barre chords on an acoustic sometimes, but I don't think they sound as good as open chords.
Check out my band The Facc-Tones!: https://www.facebook.com/facctones/
PepperJane
Kokiri
Instruments: Voice. Followed by piano or guitar
Recording Method: Crustacean
Submitting as: PepperJane

Postby PepperJane » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:24 am

noma wrote:Hey, Em, C, D, and G are good chords. There's a reason they are used so often. As long as you don't ever use any other chords, that's OK.
By the way, substituting a D/F# (2000232) for D and a Cadd9 (032033) for C sounds really good when playing open chords on an acoustic guitar. I use these chords a lot. (They tend to sound even better if you use a capo at the 2nd or 3rd fret.)

Is that a challenge to not use Em C D and G at all this week ... (I`d use a question mark but it`s been replaced with an `é`here :-s)
I love Cadd9 and use D/Fsharp (see symbolic excuse above) a bunch too, esp with the open high E... thanks to Silverchair. Mm mmm. Did not know that they may sound better capo`d tho - I`m writing a riff with a capo on 2nd only on 3 strings and it`s sounding pretty deadly (punkrockers read: folkily dull)... maybe I can put it in something next week but this week it`s ferocious. :?

So does anyone here live near Toronto that I could get a decently captured noise this weekÉ (!!) Can pay in breadsticks and UHT milk.
Everything is about perspective. :shock:
noma
Fortune Teller
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Postby noma » Sun May 01, 2016 9:11 am

josh wrote:The nice thing about throwing a capo on is that you can make use of all the same tricks that work in open position. Plus it sounds completely different using a capo vs. barring. I'll play barre chords on an acoustic sometimes, but I don't think they sound as good as open chords.

Indeed. Bb, for example, is a beautiful key, but it sounds dull when played without a capo. Playing in G with a capo on the 3rd fret is much better. (Plus the key of Bb makes it easier for wind instruments such as trumpets or saxophones to play along.)

Return to “Nur Ein”