There can be only one.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: Nur Ein XI- Round Two

Post by glennny »

The Grumpy Mike -Teeth Marks, sounds like the Grumpy Mike Boilermaker file.

Excited to hear the new track!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

I guess we all get immunity this week, in a sense.
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Voice. Followed by piano or guitar
Recording Method: Crustacean
Submitting as: PepperJane

Post by PepperJane »

I think I was 1 or 2 minutes late because I downloaded an app to actually convert the file to mp3 so I could be seem/feel/be less incompetent (ha), but if I'm axed which is only fair that's OK because I ballsed up my song so bad anyway. And few people really want to hear a dreary folk song that turns politico-rap with an Australian accent spewed up by two x chromosomes (since we're cautious about which toilets we use over here and gender labels might hurt a carrot's feeling etc).

Ahh, I'm still considering coming to NYC in July for SF Live... and will aim to keep doing the challenges because it's been so great to have something to channel my brain soup into, rather than just having it all float around aimlessly along with a fear of it all disappearing into the hole in the ozone. Cheers for that!
Everything is about perspective. :shock:
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

glennny wrote:The Grumpy Mike -Teeth Marks, sounds like the Grumpy Mike Boilermaker file.
Thanks for pointing this out. I think my naming scheme may have enabled the chance for clerical error.

j$ might have really thought it was my round 2 song. ;)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Fixed. (I hope)
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove

Post by grumpymike »

Berkeley Social Scene - Great energy and driving bass! Catchy chorus! Love all the tracks in this - drums, claps, vocals, keys! Funky breakdown with satisfying solo!

BGM - Love the scale and the soft-touch vocals. Very emotive! Builds and wanes in all the perfect places!

Cavedwellers - Sexy bass tone! Unexpected, lovely horns! Nice subtle touches! Smooooth solo!

DJ Ranger Den - Creepy! Excellent atmosphere! Masterful use of a variety of eclectic sounds and instruments! Love the build up and the release!

DuToVa - MC Hawking did not prepare me for this catchy guitar! Nice harmonies! Great guitar soloing and drum playing! Good bass note there on the chorus!

Inflatable Vegetables - Smooth, driving groove! Lovely melody on the chorus! Serious songwriting chops with key changes!

Ken Mahru - Very sardonic chorus "you're supposed to steer the ship, not crash it on the rocks"! Nice break after the chorus!

Levittdown - I feel the emotion! I like the chord progression and chorus! You hit those high notes, guy!

Micah Sommersmith - I think we wrote about similar topics! Awesome harmony! This rap is very unexpected and fantastic - reminds me of BHG!

Paco Del Stinko - Wow, you did this in a few hours?! Incredible! I wish my song had sounded more like this, because this is the style I wanted -- fits the creepy vibe much better with that minor scale and spooky soloing!

RankCorps - Don't tell me what to do! Nice backing vocals at the end! Good mix of electronica and angry metal!

Solo Frijoles - Me gusta mucho! Es un ejemplo de cantado fantastico qualitades! Me sentio que oidia un estacion de espaniol en dias despues! Mi espaniol es muy bonita!

Strangely Brown - Great synth groove - love when it really kicks in! Catchy vocal delivery! Very Primitive Radio Gods!

PepperJane - ?? Can we hear it??
Last edited by grumpymike on Mon May 02, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

PepperJane wrote:I think I was 1 or 2 minutes late because I downloaded an app to actually convert the file to mp3 so I could be seem/feel/be less incompetent (ha), but if I'm axed which is only fair that's OK because I ballsed up my song so bad anyway. And few people really want to hear a dreary folk song that turns politico-rap with an Australian accent spewed up by two x chromosomes (since we're cautious about which toilets we use over here and gender labels might hurt a carrot's feeling etc).

Ahh, I'm still considering coming to NYC in July for SF Live... and will aim to keep doing the challenges because it's been so great to have something to channel my brain soup into, rather than just having it all float around aimlessly along with a fear of it all disappearing into the hole in the ozone. Cheers for that!
1 or 2 minutes? I didn't receive it until 3:03 AM.

Definitely come to SF Live! And post the song in the Ohne Ruhm thread.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Voice. Followed by piano or guitar
Recording Method: Crustacean
Submitting as: PepperJane

Post by PepperJane »

grumpymike wrote: PepperJane - ?? Can we hear it??
Definitely yes - I'm just trying to get it polished enough to record.

I thought my phone told me PST was 3 hours behind Toronto ...ah well?! It worked for SF submission cos I am an habitual fine-cutter.
I'm quite glad it didn't get in really - it's a woeful and incomplete version, please don't listen to it Niv! Yep will post in "what he said" ... lyrics should go there too? You'll need m ... with the dundee tones n all. I love how Caravan Ray sticks to his nativity ... I'm such a tart-chameleon with accents.

ALSO - in its formative stages there was a line about electricity but I forgot it when I wrote it down, then was reminded to include some mention after reading glennny's Electroshocking story... so I feel quite guilty about its inclusion, more than necessary though I think.

Sweet I'll book my ticket then :-o return Bris to NYC for <1000 clams = cool beans
Everything is about perspective. :shock:
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove

Post by grumpymike »

PepperJane wrote:I thought my phone told me PST was 3 hours behind Toronto
Song Fight is Pacific - Nur Ein is Eastern. :(
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

And these days they're EDT and PDT.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

grumpymike wrote: DJ Ranger Den - Creepy! Excellent atmosphere! Masterful use of a variety of eclectic sounds and instruments! Love the build up and the release!
you're too kind. my mix is a preposterous series of objectionable sunday afternoon noises--but I am grateful for your words and will accept whatever comes next in this thread concerning myself with the graciousness of a desperate woman who has flung out a load of horse hockey. NUR EIN!
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

grumpymike wrote:
glennny wrote:The Grumpy Mike -Teeth Marks, sounds like the Grumpy Mike Boilermaker file.
Thanks for pointing this out. I think my naming scheme may have enabled the chance for clerical error.

Well, you'd have to forgive me if that were the case since all they sound like the same 90's Soundgarden b-side ;)
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I'll be hosting the Nur Ein XII Round 2 Listening Party at 9pm Monday night. Preshow starts in 5 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZIZ0P0CHs
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:
grumpymike wrote:

Well, you'd have to forgive me if that were the case since all they sound like the same 90's Soundgarden b-side ;)
Ouch. Grumpymike has been J$ed
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

OK, despite what appear in retrospect to be slightly grumpy reviews, I thought this was a great round. Didn't dislike a single song. I am listening now again to it the 7th, 8th time to make sure I give the fairest ranking I can, so you've probably got around an hour to go postal on my arse/try and suck up to 1/5th of the judging panel to try and change my mind before I submit my scores.

W.A.I.L. I.A.A.C. 1+5+ …
As always if I missed anyone or wrote something that makes no sense to you, just ask.

BGM - Not sure what the current event is. Not wildly keen on the cutesy intro at first (though that’s good glock) - Good bass-line. In fact not wild about/ moved by the opening 32 bars or so (forgive my terrible maths/counting) but when the chorus kicks in, one must say that it is lovely. I am not sure this is much of anything but it’s a very pleasant, intelligent listen - and this may (on 4th listen) be my personal favourite. Though on balance I still don’t like that verse chord progression. Or rather it’s nothing new. Damn that chorus thrills, still, mind. (EDIT: Oh, I just saw the ‘horror dentist’ explanation – I read that story and thought ‘weirdddddd …’ but would never have picked up on that from the listen.)

Cavedwellers - Cutesy, risky take on the challenge. Not always a good thing. Why not write a song for Tesla, f’r’instance? Some clunky lyrics. Don’t like the trumpet (VST) at all (it adds an odd 70s sitcom theme tune feel to the song) but I like the notes / positions it takes. Adventurous and imaginative, this is a good song. Hope the story isn’t too real but fear it is. Also, did I say, this is a great song? If only it weren’t for the brass section. It’s like they belong in a different tune. Then again, don’t we all?

DJ Ranger Den - Good moody opening. Then it goes all campy pixie folk and I drift off. It’s a little too quirky for my tastes, to be honest. However I like the merging of different styles and the overall effect works, it’s just a bit silly for me, TBH. This becomes more appealing on repeated listens and it’s still very well thrown together / carefully constructed …. I do really like that percussion …. And it does grow on me on repeated listens… I should love this more than I do and I don't know why that isn't the case ...

DuTova – Really like the bassline, in the chorus especially. That is a striking chorus, overall. Also swell swelly solo - tick! Lyrically, without a reference point, pretty much all I hear is ‘La, la,la, robots’. A bit of an abrupt ending into the unnecessary coda. I mean it’s clearly a good song, frighteningly catchy as I listen but as soon as it’s finished I’ve forgotten it. That’s not a good thing round Cashpoint Towers.

Grumpy Mike – Yes, that’s a dirty riff, of which I approve. Hey isn’t this your round 1 entry? ;) The reference to the Zodiac Killer passes me by – in that I know who the Zodiac Killer is but I don’t see the comparison. I’d best look it up. I like the way you do ‘it doesn’t matter as we statistically can’t win’. Also liking ‘he's the only vampire that loves eating cheese’. Honestly I’m not sure if I love this or think it’s a piss-out. Let me think on this one. It definitely hits a bar but doesn’t raise it. (EDIT: Oh! Now I get this and I saw this on the Book of Face when it first went round and still didn’t connect but then again I always thought Ted Cruz looked more like Ted Bundy).

IVEG – References to Esther Williams make me happy. I really like the phrasing in the chorus and also that little shift to the minor chords - the only thing that’s bothering me is ‘mother bit me on the chin’ – am I missing something? I don’t fully understand what that means, beyond its literal meaning. Maybe there’s nothing more to understand. Don’t like the sudden end on this one but that ‘guitar’ riff is working for me and it’s a perfectly pleasant listen.

Ken – really like the various guitar riffing. Don’t like the chord progression, overall. Thanks for the elucidation on the challenge – no way I would have got it otherwise. This is maybe not a good thing. I can appreciate how this is close to your heart but before the background story, I came away with a ‘will this do’ vibe which doesn’t do you justice. Anyway, a perfectly good song (if I heard it on the radio I wouldn’t turn it off) but just not clicking with the metaphors. Really sorry not to be more positive.

Levittdown - There’s a shame in the way you fudge that melody in the first line of the chorus every time. Write something different there that suits your range better? Otherwise I don’t mind this at all. It’s not really engaging me but it’s very considered. I like the tightness to the percussion.

Micah – ha. Cute. Too long for a song that doesn’t have anything to cash in on other than the message relentlessly rammed home. I guess apparent apathy/antipathy is a political response in itself but I like my protest songs to be more positive. That said, there are some great rhymes in here and the chorus is catchy – it just needs one more thing. Like a nice off-set harmony or a keyboard riff that consumes my brain? I don’t care which way you intend to vote (or don’t) but I want some real passion if you’re going to go down ‘that’ line. That’s personal and it won’t affect my scoring but at the same time, I can’t engage with a song which basically says ‘hey, you’re all pricks and do something horrible and I might vote for you’. Right, completely arbitrary rant over – I will say it’s too long, too linear/undeveloped in the arrangement but also top rapping, amusing lyrics and the bare bones of a very good tune.

Paco – While I am *LOVING* the uptempo stuff, the slow-down (while perfectly timed) bores the shit out of me. Which is weird as usually I would be praising the ass out of it. Anyway, ‘Your murdering, rape, kidnap and harm’ is the worst line I have heard this Nur Ein (so far) – bathetic, I’ll give you but … really? I think the ‘harm’ has already been described? Seems like a schoolboy error. Otherwise this works for me. If you’re going to bring the uptempo stuff back in at this point, great – but more of that please (despite *AMAZING* solo work here) rather than just asking ‘hey, remember when I was playing faster’ and then mic-drop? [EDIT: on repeated listens the 'drop-out' doesn't bother me anywhere near as much and maybe I was wrong about the 're-emerge' needing more time to breath. Damn you, sir, you play with my brain in such exciting ways]!

RankCorps – As I keep saying, I couldn’t listen to an album of this but jesus, ‘week’ on ‘week’ this is such a breath of fresh air. I love that cheekily out-of-place keyboard riff. While I entirely agree with your message, I am not sure I warm to the slightly didactic approach to ‘how you idiots should think’ but then that ridiculous solo kicks in and I am super-happy. On each listen I think this is my favourite song of the round. Until …

Solo Frijoles – Ah, yes this is amazing. I have no idea why a song about Prince should be in Spanish but then again, why shouldn’t it be? I am shuffling flabbily around my lounge listening to this. Damn it. Part of me thinks ‘Am I being played?’ (that’s the nicest way I can think of putting it) but hey, I would dance to this in a dingy gay bar in Cadiz (or wherever – I will look even more stupid if I’m missing the real meaning in translation. If only you’d sung in French …) at 4 in the afternoon before anyone else turns up and demand it is played on repeat, so yeah, win.

Strangely Brown – I like this. That Johnny Depp, eh? I think this throwback electronic approach suits you far better than you ever give it credit for. That said, I think maybe we could do with something, erm …, a bit more vocally melodic in the chorus? I mean using the synth is absolutely fine but is it strong enough to carry variety? Ah. I dunno know. I like this a lot. Damn it, another grower.

and ...

BSS is for immune ;) I like an organic take on Devo. I don’t know about the current cannibal scandal that’s eating the world but that said, I really like Devo so this has my (hypothetical) vote. You would have scored highly … (sorry, in my notes I have then written ‘if I didn’t have think about where it fitted into the spectrum. Thankfully, I don’t have to do that so you can’ but I have NO idea what I meant by this. I’d been to the pub to watch the football. Decode if you can). Anyway, bottom line, I really, really, like this.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Micah: Seamlessly weaves together title and challenge in a natural way. Dig the horns, the clever rhymes, nerdcore flow, and the Byrnesque vocals on the chorus.

bgm: Creepy story, well told. The title and challenge are joined in slightly less adept away than a couple other competitors ... but man, I love that Elliott Smith sound.

Solo Frijoles: Love this. Prince is not dead, he is undead, fabulously dressed, haunting the night ... with your beautiful sister. Marcas! Marcas de los dientes!

iVeg: I read about Texas setting the precedence, who knew matching teeth marks to the teeth that made them was unscientific? Were you inspired to try key modulation by that song exploder podcast? Congrats on the production - I noticed no pops, crackles or clips.

Paco: The punk style goes with the dark gritty subject material. Like the Dead Kennedys.

DJ Ranger Den: Odd and quirky. I think I like it though.

Levittdown: Man, this was a depressing story. I'm reminded of Big Black's Jordan Minnesota. Singing about child abuse seems like a risky choice. Surprised two of you did this.

Cavedwellers: Really like the sound of the verses, reminds me of the Police, well done. Vocals sound heavily processed in places, which I think works with the style. When I read how you 'solved' the challenge, my first thought was "Did he just tell me to go fuck myself?"

Strangely Brown: Love the marks / arse rhyme. Felt like the chorus needed something more to really sell it.

Grumpy MIke: You brought a Zodiac Killer to a Teeth Marks fight. He is a miserable SOB though.

Rankcorps: Dig the message, it provides a nice slice of catharsis from the stupidity of it all. DON'T TELL ME WHERE PEE is a great song title. If I'm invited back to judge next year (unlikely) I'll suggest it.

Ken: Definitely like the overall feel, but I don't get how the title relates to the rest of the material, and the content is so vague it could match many situations.

Dutova: Is there a chorus? A clear repeating one might have helped, especially if it had a title hook.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

A lot of moralizing 2nd person type of songs here. I'm not too fond of that, but you're in good company with the likes of Dylan or Lennon. (I didn't like it much when they did it either.) Just wanted to say that beforehand; this might have influenced the amount of points I gave your lyrics, and the challenge bonus.

BSS

Composition: 9/10
Lyrics: 9/10
Performance: 10/10
Production: 10/10

Creativity bonus: 4
Challenge bonus: 3

Wow, this is really good. You are right, this could have been this fight's winner. (According to my own ranking, you would at least have made the top spot for me.) Might be especially annoying for you that now, with 3 dropouts, everyone is "immune" somehow anyway, as Ben pointed out. Lyric is cool (and easy to understand even for me without having to read it). Funny as well (the article though... ugh, that photo). I understand "Teeth Marks" plus current events makes it easy to write about nasty stuff. There were some other title proposals over at the judges forum which I liked, but those would have made everyone write about Donald Trump, so maybe this is the lesser evil.

bgm:

Composition: 9/10
Lyrics: 6/10
Performance: 8/10
Production: 7/10

Creativity bonus: 2

You are right, the mix is a bit unpleasant, but I prefer a bad mix over a bad song. And this is not the latter by far. As with last week's entry, I'm intrigued by your chord progressions. Also, I love me some melodica. Gives the song a nice French feel, which is adequate in some way because of the crime scene's location, but still contrasts in a good way, as does the whole musical backing, with the disgusting lyric (I don't blame you).

Cavedwellers:

Composition: 8/10
Production: 6/10

Creativity bonus: 3
Challenge bonus: 5

I am listening to this on headphones right now, and the synth in the beginning seems to overdrive a bit. When more instruments are added, it's less annoying, but it's still there. Also, your voice is a bit unpleasant because of the sibilant-heavy mix (maybe use a de-esser? Or is that just because of my headphones?) Synths and horns is a cool combination though. Thanks for not abusing the autotune. It's used tastefully here. And, as mentioned before, I really like your interpretation of "current" events.

DJ Ranger Den

Composition: 5/10
Performance: 5/10

Huge props for writing about one of my favorite stories in the news these days! What a fearless marten he was to mess with CERN! And he even succeeded, in a way. This is the stuff good tragedies are made of. Now, as for your song: I was surprised by the music (the lack of piano, especially). Dig the far eastern tune, but the vocals don't fit that style IMO.

DuToVa:

Composition: 7/10
Lyrics: 8/10
Performance: 7/10

Challenge bonus: 4

Drums seem a bit messy at first listen. For a moment I thought I had skipped your song, since the music (not the vocals though) sounds a bit like Grumpy Mike, who comes up right after you. Cool guitar solo. Huge distortion, wonderful. Would have needed different vocals though. Ending is unexpected.

Grumpy Mike:

Composition: 6/10

Well, he's out of the race now. Maybe your song was the reason, per butterfly effect. We'll never know. I laughed out loud at your vampire and Zodiac killer comparisons. The sample of Ted Cruz reading Green Eggs and Ham is hilarious. Music is meh, but you get a big creativity and challenge bonus.

iVeg:

Performance: 6/10

Creativity bonus: 1
Challenge bonus: 2

Some lines are a bit ugh, but that dentist story of bgm's though still beats this one. No idea what this is about, but lyric is not bad anyway, so you get 2 challenge bonus points. Music plods along and don't hurt no one, but isn't too exciting either. What's with that abrupt ending?

Ken Mahru:

Lyrics: 7/10
Production: 8/10

Creativity bonus: 0

This is well produced and everything, but, and that's a problem I've been having with a lot of your songs, it's too monotonous for my taste. Lyrics are a bit too moralizing for me. As noted in the beginning, you are not alone with this.

Levittdown:

Performance: 6/10

Lyrically, this is very similar to the Offspring's "Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?", which has a good tune to go along with the moralizing lyric. Your song doesn't really have that. Voice sounds strained at times.

Micah Sommersmith:

Composition: 8/10
Performance: 10/10
Production: 9/10

Creativity bonus: 3
Euph bonus: 2

I was unsure about this, but you had me at the first rap bit. Euphonium is a favorite instrument of mine (this is euphonium, right? Guesss it could be baritone horn or tuba as well), so that gives you... you guess what? Yes! A euphonium bonus! Also, as for your lyrics, they are a bit moralizing, too, but they're funny, so it's OK. Glad there are not too many songs about the presidential candidates. This one's good.

Paco del Stinko:

Clipping! Me no like this. (The drums, especially.) Why are there so many bad mixes this round?
It's hard to pull off a song of consolement to Islamist victims. This one sounds too cheerful for that kind of thing. I chuckled at the chorus. Last week some Afghani youths raped a girl in Vienna, Austria, telling her not to try to defend herself so that "everything will be alright". It was talked about a lot in the news in continental Europe. So... that's ironic. Don't you think?

RankCorps:

Performance: 5/10
Production: 3/10

Whoa, stop assaulting my speakers! Lyric is moralizing once again, but I like this topic enough not to care about that. It's an important topic that should be covered more. Sadly, I still don't like your music, but you get a challenge bonus.

Only Beans:

Composición: 8/10
Letra: 9/10
Interpretación: 8/10
Producción: 8/10

Puntos extra por creatividad: 4
Puntos extra por realización del reto: 4

¡Una canción en español! Me gusta. Muy buena guitarra. Me pregunto qué piensa Carlo de esta canción... La letra me gusta también. Pero no hacer ese stilo con demasiada frecuencia, por favor, porque podría ponerme de los nervios algún día. Para una sola vez es perfectamente bien.

Strangely Brown:

Production: 8/10

Didn't expect the synth intro from you. Sounds cool though. It's a nice song, one I can listen to in the background without any unpleasant surprises, but it doesn't stand out much. The lyric, though, is great. You get a huge challenge bonus for writing about Johnny Depp's dog smuggling case.
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

noma wrote:Yes! A euphonium bonus!
Photo on 2016-05-04 at 11.02.jpg
Photo on 2016-05-04 at 11.02.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

I honestly didn't expect to win this one. Some great entries this round!
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Am I the only one dumb enough to keep trying to press buttons on the PICTURE of the results for each round? :mrgreen: :roll:
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Congrats, Micah!

My song combined 2 events. Chumpy got one: Texas won't allow dental forensics to be admitted as evidence any more.
The other event was a fight between orcas at SeaWorld San Antonio. Sakari was bit on the chin. I mixed it with an attack on Nakai [SW San Diego] where a whale bit off part of his chin, and another where trainers said Nakai's mother had attacked him to keep him in line. One former SeaWorld diver said she would routinely find strips of skin orcas had ripped off each other at the bottom of the tanks.
facebook.com/ivegband
Levittdown
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Levittdown

Post by Levittdown »

Micah - Nice job man, and congrats on the win!
Lyrically, this is very similar to the Offspring's "Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?", which has a good tune to go along with the moralizing lyric. Your song doesn't really have that. Voice sounds strained at times.
I don't know that song, and although I'm sometimes a fan of punk rock (The Replacments, best band EVER) I don't really like the Offspring but maybe I'll check it out from a curiosity standpoint.

That being said, I'm the guy who can be extra-grateful that three folks didn't get their songs in or in on time! I guess that's part of the contest as well, no?
"Cool tune! Love the "Teethmarks won't fade away" hook, wish I'd thunk of that one"
Jack Logan