Some more reviews!

Berkeley Social Scene

Composition: 7/10
Lyrics: 9/10
Performance: 8/10
Production: 9/10

Creativity bonus: 3
Challenge bonus: 4

This is cool. The guitar part during the verses is supreme. Vocal sounds a bit strained at times, but really conveys the rock feeling; it fits the song. Your flaw was funny. :)

bgm

Composition: 10/10
Lyrics: 10/10
Performance: 10/10
Production: 10/10

Creativity bonus: 4
Challenge bonus: 5

My favorite flaw of the week, I think. Lyrics and music fit together very well. I love those vocal harmonies. You are at the top of my list, and your win was well deserved.

DJ Ranger Den

Lyrics: 6/10
Performance: 7/10
Production: 6/10

Challenge bonus: 0

Sounds similar to Soap&Skin. Not exactly my favorite genre. Piano is beautiful, but it kind of goes nowhere. Couldn't find any flaw here. I feel sorry for your elimination though, as your work is always very interesting.

DuToVa

Composition: 5/10
Lyrics: 7/10
Performance: 6/10
Production: 7/10

Creativity bonus: 2
Challenge bonus: 0

The "flaw in arrangement" doesn't really count for me, as it doesn't sound flawed to me. I can see what your intention was, though. It just doesn't feel that way to me. Nice song, but nothing special.

Grumpy Mike

Composition: 8/10
Production: 8/10

Creativity bonus: 4
Challenge bonus: 1

Those glitches are cool. Too cool actually, they don't sound like flaws to me. I gave you 1 challenge bonus point for the weird noises during the solo (which was cool as well, and sounded more "flawed" than the drums to me). It's refreshing to hear you do something different - a bit different, at least, with the clean guitars during the verses. I hope you won't begrudge me for saying this reminded me of Black Parade era My Chemical Romance, save the vocals (I loved that album, but don't care for most of their other stuff).

Inflatable Vegetables

Composition: 9/10
Lyrics: 8/10

Creativity bonus: 5

Huh? This ain't iVeg, is it? So different from your usual work. To be honest, I can't really find any obvious flaw here except for the clipping... which saves you from zero or negative challenge bonus points ;) apart from that, there is not much to criticize. It's a cool track. The unexpected genre, and the brilliant key change in the chorus earn you 5 creativity bonus points. Looking forward to your psychedelic entry next week.

Ken Mahru

Performance: 9/10

Creativity bonus: 2
Challenge bonus: 3

After all these dark, moody songs this comes as a refreshing surprise. By the last chorus, I was singing along. This is my favorite Ken song of this Ein so far.

Micah Sommersmith

Creativity bonus: 5

Sounds a bit like a Nur Ein IX, round one entry. ;) those background noises were your flaw, right? Wasn't sure. Choral voices and rap are both risky choices, but you already showed us in round 2 you can pull off the latter very well, and this week you proved you can do the former convincingly, too.

Paco del Stinko

Challenge bonus: 5

Perfectly lo-fi! In a way that actually makes the song better. This is full of energy and everything. It's a cool rocking song.

Solo Frijoles

Challenge bonus: 4

Micah's Mountain Goats comparison was spot on. This is my favorite chorus of the round. I assumed your flaw was in the loose instrumentation; am I correct? Especially the drums, they really caught my attention.

Strangely Brown

Lyrics: 10/10
Performance: 5/10
Production: 6/10

Challenge bonus: 3

Doesn't feel finished. That's an obvious flaw, of course, but the song itself was unsatisfying; I don't think it's strong enough in this stripped down fashion.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XI- Round Four

Post by BenKrieger »

noma wrote: I assumed your flaw was in the loose instrumentation; am I correct? Especially the drums, they really caught my attention.
The loose, scraping acoustic in particular, and then for good measure I just didn't bother to tweak anything else.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

noma wrote:Some more reviews!

After all these dark, moody songs this comes as a refreshing surprise. By the last chorus, I was singing along. This is my favorite Ken song of this Ein so far.
Mine too!!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

noma wrote: Inflatable Vegetables
The unexpected genre, and the brilliant key change in the chorus earn you 5 creativity bonus points.
I think iVeg was taking notes during the Song Exploder podcast. :)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9236
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni