Nur Ein XII Round Zero "Fingers Crossed"

There can be only one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Nur Ein XII - Round Zero

Post by Caravan Ray »

Welcome back Puce!
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I know this voice.

Dang, this is going to be fun.
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

For the backwards part I used the chorus of our song over the verse chords, also backwards! I was amazed that it worked.
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Fingers Crossed

73 Keep It Beautiful (BGM)- The returning champ returns without judging. This is welcomed, I love BGM music. This song is fantastic. Anything to criticize? Nope. Frankly awesome. This is great little pop tune. Love the melody. The backwards elements are small and subtle and tasty. Lyrics are pleasing, not posted, so I didn’t really study them. Well done!

Balance Lost- My WSA brother! I’m a gigantic Balance Lost fan, I love it when Balance Lost comes up on my Spotify playlists. This song is in the Joan of Arc school, which I enjoy quite a bit. Thank you for literally farting into the microphone to start off. I’m going to believe that was real, please don’t correct me if it wasn’t. This is quirky and charming. You have an amazing talent for dynamics and space. I’m excited for your batch of songs this year. (I hope one or both of us can pull in some Mel and Friz somewhere along the way).

Berkeley Social Scene- I think this is Ken’s only project this Nur Ein. The vocals of this are hilarious. This is Lunkhead showing Martin his vocal idea with the Martin knob turned up. Martin and I are doing the backing vocals. This is our popular Ken lyrics, Lunkhead chord pattern, glennny guitar solo, it was going to be a Martin lead vocal, but once Lunk finished the example it was time to move on. I think this was all done start to finish on Tuesday night (Ken penned the lyrics earlier that day I believe). This chorus is an earworm, I’ve been singing it all week.

Boffo Yux Dudes- There’s a lot going on that is great here! Ultimately the melody falls a bit short for me. I like the production and the groove. The melody that is there is just a little repetitive. I’d try to find a catchier melody at least for the chorus. I like that opening noise bit a lot.

Glenn Case- Champ #1. Welcome back! I love your vocals! Fantastic melody, and you really sell it! The 1st verse and chorus without drums is really effective. It’s nice to really want the drums and to have the pay off of them arriving. It reminds me of a TV on the Radio song. Great hooks! Great playing! Excellent!

Inflatable Vegetables- I’m enjoying these lyrics a lot. I can imagine a Bob Skaggs full on production on this guy. I was expecting a full on solo, the occasional licks are nice, but that groove is ripe for a tasty 16 bar solo. Cool stuff.

Jerkatorium- Well it’s about time! After doing the behind the scenes research last year you finally ready to jump in the ring. Vegas has Jerkatorium as the favorite for this year. Always a strong showing in the regular fight, and plenty of them. Never won before. However this might be the stiffest competition ever. No pressure. This song is catchy and poppy! The solo breakdown is super sweet! Awesome!

Lichen Throat- With these vocals I’m reminded of Iggy Pop, post pop depression stuff. Love to hear you belt out the vocals a bit more. The delivery of the lyrics in the chorus strike me a bit awkward. Great idea for the title! Cool song.

Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost- Welcome to the other side. Why no drums? Is the lack of drums really the choice you wanted? This song is begging for some drums. That said, this is a pretty cool song! Always love your lyrics, these are sweetly metal! Fun little War in Heaven tale! Good stuff! Figure out some drums!

Merisan- Awesome! “Yeah”? This cuts off. Is the backwards bit the backing vocals? Beautiful song! I love the production, the bass and rhodes sound amazing! Erins vocals are gorgeous! Excellent! (I expect nothing less).

Micah Sommersmith- I enjoy you backwards vocals. You took a similar approach to the Cavedwellers. I’d love to see your phonetic backwards-English notes, if you approached it like I did. Love all the lyrics in this song. Very cool stuff.

Nick Soma-
Welcome back Cavedweller nemesis AKA Champ #10. (just playing, love your music). I love how big this tune is. The backwards bits are really tasty! The atmosphere of this song is amazing and beautiful!

Paco del Stinko- Champ #6- Rock! Thanks for bringing the rock! I’m a big fan of your music! This is a good one! Those punches after the breakdown are my favorite part. I like it all really the 5 different Paco vocals, the phenomenal guitar playing, the exciting rhythm section. Killer!

Pigfarmer Jr.- I enjoy the halftime verse going to the regular time chorus. The backwards stuff is super subtle. This is a lyric driven song. It’s a little too wikipedia rock for me. I realize it's not just a history report, we are thrust in the early 30’s and rise of Nazis. I assume there are implied Trump parallels. Scary song, made me think.

ROTR- Do we know you? This is great! Nice to have a short and sweet rocker! Please turn up the lead guitar. Great song nice punch!

Skub- Champ #2 (Puce)- I knew it was you from opening moment. I am very afraid. I am very excited to compete against you again. Ummmm….Fuck yeah! This song is amazing! The frenetic drums and fuzzy bass sound awesome for the verses. I love your vocals! Catchy chorus! I predict this is the winner, though there are soo many great songs, tough to call. This is among my favorites! Welcome back! Where do I hear what you’ve been recording for the last ten years?

Strangelove-
Champ #9 (Caravan Ray)- This is great! The backwards acoustic sounds great! The drums and claps are all fun and groovy. This is one of my favorites from you! The backwards solo stuff is great. Is that electric guitar backwards? I hear your mouse clicks at the end! Cool!

Wendy Wiseman Fisher- I really like this. Sometime the vocals are a bit hot. This delightfully weird. I enjoy the sweet vocals with the dirty mouth (if I’m hearing it right). You can post lyrics here if you like (the judges will like it) : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10949
Good stuff!

Zed Dead Baby- Champ #5 (Ben Krieger)- I’m stoked you made it in! Looking forward to more gems! This is dirt simple, but beautiful. You often remind me of the Who, obviously with the rock opera stuff, but the little acoustic numbers like this too have a very Pete Townsend sensibility to me. Great Song!

Cavedwellers- I never meant to criticize the challenge. I loved this challenge. I loved it for Unnatural Disaster, and I loved it again. So for unnatural disaster i did a bunch of backwards guitar stuff and some reversed backwards English for the David Lynch effect spoken in that title. I felt like I had to up that game from 9 years ago. So This time I did the full chorus in 3 part harmony in reversed 3 part backward English. For the Coda I reversed the chord pattern and put the backwards English chorus forward. There’s also some backwards guitar in the pre-chorus which I felt fit the story. The story- I was thinking about Star Trek, and about Tron, and about the advancement of travel. When they teleport you in Star Trek the idea is they disintegrate you and and beam the particles one by one at the speed of light to another location, then perfectly reconfigure you. This raises the philosophical question of whether or not it is still you or you again or you at all when you’re reconfigured.

Awesome fight everyone!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

glennny wrote:
Nick Soma-
Welcome back Cavedweller nemesis AKA Champ #10. (just playing, love your music). I love how big this tune is. The backwards bits are really tasty! The atmosphere of this song is amazing and beautiful!
Thanks! BTW, I would love to do a Battle of the Ein Champions someday. Maybe in the fall or whatever, when there are no other sidefights to distract. Something along the lines of a regular Nur Ein, but just one round or two in order not to make it too overblown.
For now, I'll focus on Nur Ein XII, of course. So this is just an idea as of this moment, but I thought I'd share it anyway. What do you guys (Glennny as well as all the other previous champs) think about it? :)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Hey Nick Soma,
Did you intentionally make a slowed down version of "Mr. Brightside" or did that come out of the weird kismet that just happens to musicians sometimes?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

Niveous wrote:Hey Nick Soma,
Did you intentionally make a slowed down version of "Mr. Brightside" or did that come out of the weird kismet that just happens to musicians sometimes?
Hm. I can see the similarities (the chorus!), but it was definitely not intentional. Interestingly enough, I think I listened to that song just about a week ago after not having heard it in quite some time. :?
That being said, one of my current favorite songs is Fight Test by the Flaming Lips. (If you don't know the song, have a listen and you will instantly know why I mentioned it here. ;) )
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

W.A.I.L. I.A.A.J. I.A.A.C.
Scoring will follow tomorrow, so feel free to tell me in the meanwhile what a
C I am, if winning Round Zero matters to you (it offers no immunity).

73 - Pretty. Fine. Pretty fine. Sweet little backwards solo. Doesn't outstay its welcome. Fair to middling overall because I'm loving it as I listen but it's not sticking when it's finished.

BL - Hello, retro electronic nonsense. I'm in love with the first thirty seconds. Start to fear it's all it's going to be (i.e. it's not going to evolve much if at all). Love the little concessions to glitch. Perhaps a little simpering for my tastes; but I have no taste so what do I know? Also it was 'a section' not 'endless tacked on sections to make sure the judges know I have met the challenge and also to hide the fact I don't have much of a song to carry its runtime'. #justsayin'

BSS - Some ropey singing in the chorus there, or is that just my cloth ears? Ah, you know I'm going to rag on you because I can and I'm lazy, it's a nice punk-pop tune and I like the vision / intention but it's a good warm-up to what I will expect to be much better songs to come. Also you can't win with me, because I think 'oh that's some unimaginative rhyming' but I also know I've banged on about 'overambitious' BSS rhyming in the past. I will be countering my unintentional BSS bias when it comes to scoring once again this year, don't worry.

BYD
- Hell yeah. this works. I'm not sure that the harmony vocal shouldn't be higher / not so close in tone to the main vocal; and maybe you overdo the 'backwards vocal' section (it's not like it's easy for me to reverse it and figure out what you're saying) but I love this vaguely Doors-y keyboard riff, the catchiness and the backwards drums are enough to meet the challenge in the best way ... good work, gentle folk. And great abrupt ending! I need to read the words to see if it has repeat value but my sense is that it does and that means it does well on my score card. I'm pleased about that; cos I feel I've been mean to BYD in the past and it's good to hear evolution ...

Cavedwellers - Good drums. A bit Pogues-y (that's not bad, just an observation). And then it all shifts to a bit 'Thick as a brick' Jethro Tull and I'm loving it. It's all a bit bonkers, in the best way. Yeah, I like this. 'Hold on forever to worthless endeavour' is a cracking words-worm. Yeah, sorry, punk forefathers, I do like this a lot (though they'll be glad to hear it is way too long)!

Glenn Close
- Oh Mr Close, you always did do the harmony thing so well. And then you bring in the synth and I'm going all gooey-eyed. Somewhere between Weezer and Grandaddy is a great place to be. Liking the backwards on the drums part - gives it that shuffling beat that suits the song well without being too overpowering / on the nose, challenge-wise. Yeah, good stuff.

IV - Hello, space jazz easy listening fun space. 'I am merely human, and you are from Los Angeles' made me chuckle out loud. I like it; perhaps the minimal arrangement doesn't, in this instance, give the tune full credit but on the other hand, I don't see what you could do which wouldn't drown out the nuances of what's there, so maybe I should just shut up.

Jerkatorium
- Hmmmm, it's a bit 'Grease II', isn't it? I mean, well done and the little backwards BVs bits are really intelligently used; but I hear a lot better from you than pastiche of an ELO b-side? Bit harsh? I mean obvi, it's really well done but without having read the lyric, I'm not engaging particularly beyond 'it's really well done'. Oh, hang on, the words are falling into place, particularly the 'when I meant the reverse instead'. Nice idea. Still, you can do better than a punky pop pastiche [/illiteration].

Lichen Throat - There are a lot of good, really interesting elements here - the lyric, that nice riff. Maybe the vocal is mixed a little high for the mood and occasionally it sounds like there's slight latency on some of the vocal tracks (although that would mean you recorded in sections, which is fine but it can't be that if you did it as one track) - I think it clicks together at the backwards vocal part really well. Overall I think any problems here are based around the mix, not the song particularly. It's just a bit bare to mix in that way. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Lucky Witch & Righteous Ghost
- That opening riff is terrifyingly loud in the mix. The melody is great. And when the riff comes back it's not as problematic. I like 'Talking to God with fingers crossed'. Maybe the keyboard could come up a little during the verses, in favour of the guitar? Both are good but the mix feels a bit rough when I don't think it is ... or even just pan them a touch further apart? Don't worry about the 'no drums' comment - I think percussion is unnecessary - just, without, makes the mix hotness a little more abrasive than I think the song wants - which is no great problem, for me at least!

Merisan - Hello, Portishead! Not sure the 'oh oh HAA' BVs are neccessary, they sound a little sour (not out of tune just tonally not sitting in the room, rather shouting through the vocal booth window) - oh yeah, that 'yeaaaah' is not right at all. Otherwise, this is great (I do hope and haven't checked it's not also in the 'Ocean of Blood' fight ... that's a bad thing for me personally, although not against the rules).

Micah Sommersmith - Well, this is as camp as tits. I love it but it's not structurally coherent. One minute, it's 80s goth new wave and then it's not. Just very, very camp. That is in no way a complaint - I do like it, I think; but also 'toxic mercy after all' - 'I've seen earthquakes, wind and frost''? Those three things we all agree are in some relative sub-group?

Nick Soma - I really wish I hadn't seen Niv's comment about the slow Killers; because that's all I can hear now. It's done really well and I'm not sure I like you in the low register as much as I do in the higher; but that's circumstantial evidence - on the song's own merits, it's fine, just not really engaging me; but it's a fine piece of music so I won't let personal bias affect my scoring at any point (unless I have no other way to seperate competitors)

Paco De Stinko - I knew it was you within 3 seconds - this is good and bad. I think I only have three PdS reviews 'Brilliant', 'good' and 'I don't like it but I like what you were going for' - which is a compliment. You can't hide a 'Grease II' chorus under punk rock verses. #justsayin'. Too easy for you but roundzeroblues, right? Your personal 'killing blow' is to reclaim your crown from the returning prodigal Skub :)

Pigfarmer Jr
- God, I hate Neil Young, unlike some other people it seems ;) Yeah, this is fine; some clumsy, clumsy rhymes going on - but I really do dig the backwards guitar line. Part of me finds the 'reading Wikipedia' history lesson amusing (though the subject isn't, obviously) - it's just, not even 'on the nose' but it's like, um, yeah, thanks, I know this story due to European schooling etc, give me an angle on it. not your problem except it's been made mine. 'I feel the walls are coming down / Holding back the power of the evil clown'? Seriously? I am with you politically, 100% but ooof, klutzy. Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean but please, treat your listener with a little more intelligence? Sorry, again. it's a good tune, btw, if you like Neil Young. Please do keeep rocking in the no longer free world :) Also fab stupid abrupt ending - bonus points earnt.

ROTR - Tonally super-good. Like the whole MC5 / Who mood. But is it actually a song, or a CCR riff played faster and endlessly? Neither is a bad thing but there's not much here, apart from speed. It's hardly Husker Du Land Speed Record is it? Choose your benchmark and rise above it. Also,on repeated listens, I'm struggling to hear any meet of the challenge. Could be the solo and probably it's al too clever for a simple soul for me; but we've never had to kick anyone out due to challenge-failure and I hope this won't be the case in future rounds this time out ...

Skub
- Oh Puce, I've missed you. It's still all about the bass. This is wonderful, enough that a small tear of aging nostalgia (which I despise) threatens to break through to the real world. It's a sound you've done a hundred times before; but it would take another hundred to make me bored of it. those harmonies ... not the best lyric but hey, I'm bouncing round the room, which i guess proves the lie of the importance of the lyric? That's hard for me to admit; so let me say - not my favourite song of this round but it's up there.

strangelove - CR, this sounds nothing like Depeche Mode, #justsayin'. I happened to be listening to your 'I take that back' this afternoon and I can see the through-line to this. This is catchy but also a 'sound check' - I love that repititous groove and the various scary 'horror soundtrack' arrangements in the instrumentation.

WWF - What a lovely / terrifying song. Ha ha ha, that chorus is hilarious and sad at the same time! I'm loving the different effects on the vocal tracks. Really brings some well needed aural range. Anyone who can write 'Got no f*cks to give / fingers crossed / Got no f*cks to give / mis-matched socks' is a step away from a winner, in my book! Yeah, this is great. Perhaps a tiny bit (30 secs) too long but that's not a problem. It's round zero so ranking don't matter but if it did, I think you'd be very much in with a shout for taking my top spot (matron).

Zed Dead Baby
- cutesy and also awful. I love that combination, personally. Except never harmonize when they aren't in tune with the main vocal (or t'other way round). This feels rushed out - it's a really cool, catchy tune, really badly performed and I can only go with what it's front of me. Sorry (and yes, I know who this is).
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Chumpy »

Just a heads up that the Round Zero listening party is happening like RIGHT NOW. If you want to hear me rave about your songs in real-time, join in!

"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by arby »

Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost- Welcome to the other side. Why no drums? Is the lack of drums really the choice you wanted? This song is begging for some drums. That said, this is a pretty cool song! Always love your lyrics, these are sweetly metal! Fun little War in Heaven tale! Good stuff! Figure out some drums!
no drums because we don't have any! and no one to play them. I guess in theory I could have done something in GarageBand (I have a little side project called Kitchen Sync Productions where I make beats, but they're often out of synch, hence the name) but it hadn't occurred to me to try to put beats on an LW song.
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

j$ wrote:Jerkatorium - Hmmmm, it's a bit 'Grease II', isn't it?
Good, astute call. Grease II on VHS was essentially my Juilliard.
j$ wrote: pastiche of an ELO b-side?
Extremely high praise IMO. Not kidding. That is what I aspire to.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I’m trying out a new scheme for rating songs since i have to rank everything. First impression songs get a bonus. Songs where the lyrics aren’t posted get a zero for lyrics. Harsh, i know, but i’m rating the songs the way i want to rate them. Deal with it. I like to read along.

73 - i like the backwards little sounds here and there. Good vocals. A solid sound, although i have to admit i’m not sure what you’re talking about.
Balance - it feels strange for you to call out your own bandname in the lyrics, especially when there are so few of them. The random instrumentation is cool, although i feel like the extended outro is calling for more song to precede it. I feel it is not living up to its potential.
Bss - another one i’m not sure what you’re talking about, although i like the sound of it.
Byd - i like the retro feel of those vocals and effects. I’d like to hear more difference in the chorus. The backwards section might be too long, actually. It detracts from the feel of the song with how long it is.
Cavedwellers - perverse? Or preverse? I like perverse. Fun. Backwards bits are well integrated. I’m not totally sure why but i dig this one.
Glenn - love the backing vocals. This one rolls along really well. This would have had a much higher ranking if the lyrics were posted. Got a first impression bonus.
Inflatable - i want to hear a catchier chorus. I think your narrator has issues. I do like how you’ve used both meanings of the title phrase.
Jerk - i love the oldies/xtc(?) feel of this. First impression bonus. That last verse is very good. Not sure if the backwards bit is organic, but i really like how it goes back to forwards at the end.
Lichen - really like the music in the intro between the guitar and the drums. The vocals seem a little meandery to me and are generally weaker than the music.
Lwtrg - the big synthy sound near the beginning is pretty awesome. I generally like the instrumentation here. The doubled vocals in chorus works well. I’m not sure “fingers crossed” is really the title of this song, but that’s a nitpick. It’s good.
Merisan - i really like the vocal effects in the intro of this. Actually the vocals are really great. First impression bonus. Definitely one of my favorites in this round - the repeated vocal bits are great. Too bad it cuts off abruptly.
Micah - i really like how you incorporated the backwards bits. The changes in tempo work really well too. This is one of the best uses of the challenge.
Nick - the bit with anxiety works really well. I like the incorporation of backwards bits. Bridge is a little tmi. Not sure what to make of the greek, but i like the guitar there.
Paco - first impression bonus. I really enjoy the nonsense parts of this. And the backwards part is very cool.
Pig - i like those guitars. The lyrical theme is very good. Sometimes the rhymes are a little too much. Vocals are pretty good. Music could stand out more.
Rotr - again not sure that this song’s title is really fingers crossed. I like the sound of the vocals, music could be more varied.
Skub - nice bass. I like the vocals and lyrics, solid. First impression bonus. Good break with the backwards bits.
Strangelove - good incorporation of the backwards bits, especially good. First impression bonus. Great vocals. This gets my fingers tapping.
Wendy - nice backwards usage. Good vocals, this is really interesting. More f-bombs than i like generally but the music is really cool. First impression bonus. The outro is great.
Zed - nice sound. Backwards bit is good. I want this to be more exciting, but it’s solid. I wanted more at the end.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

People!! It feels so good to be back. Let's do this.

73 Keep It Beautiful - Living up to name for certain. This song is great. Confident vocal delivery, contagious melody, and the tambourine puts it over the top. Love it.

Balance Lost - Farts aside, love the soundscape here. The lush verb on the vocal mantra fits the hidden-track feel.

Berkeley Social Scene - Way to bring the drums, that kick anchors the whole track. Tasty solo. Diggin' the general Petty vibe.

Boffo Yux Dudes - At the begining I thought Ventolin was starting. This delirious cha-cha would make excellent musak on an elevator to hell.

Cave Dwellers - You can't take the sky from me. That stompin' tom and fiddle grab you and don't let go. Very strong chorus.

Glenn Case - Instant classic Case. Incredible backing harmonies. Nice Spock-drop. I'mma have this chorus melody stuck in my head for a while. This song doesn't waste a single second.

Inflatable Vegetables - Smooth chords and bass line on this funky slowjam. Love the delivery on "maybe I would lie to you". Story paints a great picture. Very well put together.

Jerkatorium - Genuinely hilarious, I can't listen to this without beaming. Love how you incorporated the challenge and tied it into the title. In spite of being a novelty song, everything is very well done, especially the drums. My favourite song of the round.

Lichen Throat - Lovely low notes on the vocal. So, what exactly did the protagonist do? Heavy stuff, despite the pretty instrumentation.

Lucky Witch et al - Excellent and appropriate use of the organ patch. Great vocal melody, especially the chorus. Is this the only song to make the backwards-speech / Satan connection?

Merisan - Ooooh that bass is sweet. The backwards bits and the laid-back tempo really add to the... I wanna say trip-hop feel. Amazing. This song made me queue up some Portishead, and the low "yeah"s made me queue up this video.

Micah - Best execution of the challenge. Psychadelic to the max, very cool. Love the little piano riff.

Nick Soma - I dig the tom-heavy drum pattern. There's some really beautiful instrumentation underneath all the distorted wooshing noises swirling in my head. I really like the delivery on "it's all the same, so it's here again".

Paco - Those drums ARE rock. Awesome guitars, and the backing vocals are ridiculous in a great way. Pure paco.

Pigfarmer - There are a few political songs in this round, way to sidestep the topical while still evoking it. All the dates and proper nouns make listening to this song a little like reading a Wikipedia article. I like how you sing "Reichstag fire" and I think you do to. This chorus will be fighting Glenn Case's for a spot in the mental jukebox.

ROTR - Spectacular punk energy. I'm addicted to that bass riff. This song is perfect.

Skub - First song I've "released" in the better part of a decade. Gotta shake the cobwebs out. I like how I sing the word "faaaaact". Where are the guitars!?

Strangelove - Wow, amazing instrumentation, especially the ominous build in the second half. I would watch the hell out a TV show with this theme.

Wendy - I like the outsider-art musical sound of the intro. Delighted to hear "got no fucks to give" delivered earnestly. I wish the percussion-driven second half had a rap verse.

Zed - Another great chorus. "Kangaroo" had me expecting comedy but what I got was an anti-folk protest song.

Overall, I was very impressed by the Round 0 submissions. Almost every song delivered a memorable chorus, and the songwriting almost never felt phoned in. Awesome work everyone, can't wait for Round 1.
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by arby »

HeuristicsInc wrote:I’m not sure “fingers crossed” is really the title of this song, but that’s a nitpick.
I agree with you, tbh, but I hope it doesn't count against us. Nowhere did it say the title has to be the right title for the song.... right? Just that the song has to be called {challenge title} which I assumed meant the lyric had to be used at some point and it had to nominally be called that. what do I know, this is my first Nur Ein.
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

HeuristicsInc wrote:Songs where the lyrics aren’t posted get a zero for lyrics. Harsh, i know, but i’m rating the songs the way i want to rate them. Deal with it. I like to read along.
Now that's a daring move :o don't get me wrong, I fully understand that. It's just that I did the very same thing as a judge last year and I found out it's a really easy way to get the contestants pissed at me. :D
HeuristicsInc wrote:Nick - the bit with anxiety works really well. I like the incorporation of backwards bits. Bridge is a little tmi.
Thanks! In retrospect, I guess it was a good decision to scrap the third verse on erectile dysfunction.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

To those that mentioned my guitar solo. Thank you. Impressed the hell out of me too. I recorded a solo, then reversed it - then merged the forwards and backwards tracks together, so it is sort of both at the same time.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

arby wrote: I agree with you, tbh, but I hope it doesn't count against us. Nowhere did it say the title has to be the right title for the song.... right? Just that the song has to be called {challenge title} which I assumed meant the lyric had to be used at some point and it had to nominally be called that. what do I know, this is my first Nur Ein.
Hmm, I think I docked you a point on lyrics for it, maybe... as I said, this is a new system and I'm working out the kinks. Still, I liked your song. But I do feel that I should be able to imagine that the song would be called that if it wasn't for Songfight and this song didn't reach that bar.
noma wrote: Now that's a daring move :o don't get me wrong, I fully understand that. It's just that I did the very same thing as a judge last year and I found out it's a really easy way to get the contestants pissed at me. :D
Ha! Well, it's easy enough to get those points back by posting them, so it's their fault as much as mine :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

glennny wrote:Micah Sommersmith- I enjoy you backwards vocals. You took a similar approach to the Cavedwellers. I’d love to see your phonetic backwards-English notes, if you approached it like I did. Love all the lyrics in this song. Very cool stuff.
Thanks for the kind words! I wrote one verse, recorded it and reversed it, and then came up with another verse that sounded vaguely like the reversed vocals, recorded that... and also reversed it to combine with the other verse, hoping the process would work out the other way too. Not very systematic - and the result is much less coherent than your impeccable backwards-English.

More difficult was writing the middle choral section, which required writing two vocal lines that, when reversed, fit together with the original two, making a palindromic four-part texture.
j$ wrote:Micah Sommersmith - Well, this is as camp as tits. I love it but it's not structurally coherent. One minute, it's 80s goth new wave and then it's not. Just very, very camp. That is in no way a complaint - I do like it, I think; but also 'toxic mercy after all' - 'I've seen earthquakes, wind and frost''? Those three things we all agree are in some relative sub-group?
Thanks for the somewhat kind words! I beg to differ re: strucural coherence - in a sense this song is all structure and nothing else. Try listening to it backwards, that might clear things up.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Loving all the reviews folks, keep 'em commin'!

73 Keep It Beautiful - Sha-la-la-la-la. The backwards guitar swells and solo sound super musical, and are not at all a burden on the song. Kept it beautiful, good job. Something about the interval from 'fingers' to 'crossed' is super familiar to me, and I kept racking my brain trying to figure out which song I love has it. Was it Matthew Sweet or Michael Penn, or ... argh, I give up.

Balance Lost - Not like anyone is going to get ejected this round, so why note experiment a bit? I like the noodling at the end, but it goes on a wee bit too long perhaps. Nothing wrong with the self name check in my book.

BSS - When the vocals kicked in, I thought for sure it was Paco. Maybe Paco mixed with Iggy Pop. Is that Ken or Lunkhead singing, I can't tell. I like the chorus, although the word "enclosure" just seems weird in such a prominent spot in a song.

BYD - Dreamy spacey tune that belongs in a David Lynch movie. The harmony on "right" on "make it right" is delightfully weird. The melody here is odd in a good way.

Cavedwellers - Dig the Celtic fiddle and wind sounds. Did you play those or just sample them, if you played them I'm hella impressed. The backwards phonetic singing is pretty great.

Glenn Case - Ah, the power of harmony vocals, my spine starts to tingle when those backwards "aaaah" BVs kick in. The lead vocals have thickening harmony sauce applied to them too I think, which sounds great. Love this one.

Inflatable Vegetables - I was surprised when I found myself enjoying the smoothness of this song. When the funky clav starts to play those licks on top of the stereo electric piano it feels really good. I like how the flute comes in after you sing the word "hippie". Your BVs on "I got my fingers crossed" sound fan-damn-tastic. The backwards bits are sparse and subtle, I might have missed them if I wasn't listening for them.

Jerkatorium - The verse vocal melody has over 40 pitch changes and two melismas -- at 160 BPM. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to sing, and it took me hours and hours and hours to get it right, which I actually never did. Thank God for technology.

Lichen Throat - I think this has Lichen Throat's best singing to date. It's also got his signature sounding synth patch, sparse drums and story telling style.

Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost
- I really love the midrange/ teble sound on that guitar, has a great scrapey sort of sound to it. The noise burst when it kicks in is really jarringly loud. I like the EQ contrast on the two vocals too.

Merisan - Heavenly vocals. Ooh-ooh-HAH. I like how you slip the "Ocean of Blood" title into the lyrics, heh. That Rhodes sounds dreamy and works really well with the vocals. Sounds like it cuts off weirdly at the end.

Micah Sommersmith - Micah and Glenny both really embraced the challenge, but I think Micah did the most with it creatively. This is haunting. I think if you would have mixed the religious / choral style with LW&RG's God vs Satan thematic lyrics you'd really have something.

Nick Soma - My brain is melting to goo. Good chorus on this one, it even has a counter-melody. You jumped the gun on the challenge!

Paco del Stinko - Doobie - do - bee - do! Pure Paco, pure awesome. When that guitar riff comes in after the backwards section, it's like a shot of pure adrenaline. It's remarkable how great that silly "doobie-do" section is.

Pigfarmer Jr. - Having written my fair share of Wikipedia songs, I can't really judge. I have to admit though, when I first heard "Reichstag fire" I just shook my head. Listening to some of your songs reminds of why I can't deal with Twitter these days, everything is just too political.

ROTR - This just rocks from start to finish, although Kenny Loggins' lawyers may want a word. Way to recognize this is round zero, so fuck the stupid backwards challenge!

Skub - Man, that poingy snare drum sounds good, all the drums sound so real and in your face, color me impressed. Love the vocals, especially on words like "forget" and "fact" where they rise dramatically in pitch. Also the feeling on lines words like "bullshit" and "dog you trippin" are totally on point. The energy when the guitars (and later keys) join in the chorus is a tingly rush. So good. WE'RE ALL DOOMED.

strangelove - The groove you create with the backwards sounds right off the top is really nice. Way to embrace the title, with the whole superstitious, feeling lucky vibe. You also used a counter-melody with the "things are going my way" contrasting the main verse melody. It's weird that once you start really thinking about counter-melodies you start to hear them everywhere. In fact, there are three melodies going on at once towards the end, "not looking backward / only going forward", "feeling lucky, got my fingers crossed", and "things are going my way". Man the competition is *fierce*.

Wendy Wiseman Fisher - No fucks given here about the amount of F-bombs in this song. Also nice use of counter-melody in this song, I HEAR THEM EVERYWHERE, DO YOU HEAR ME DOCTOR!? The melodic line "got no fucks to give / fingers crossed" is really nice, and sticks with you.

Zed Dead Baby - Love the jangly guitar, the "lining on up, lining on up like fools" in the chorus is really lifting. I think this lacks a bit of the polish of some of the other entires, but melodically this is really strong and I'm really glad Ben made it into round zero, because I loved all his songs last time around.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Hey people! Sorry 'bout the shi-tay mix on my song. I was scrambling last minute to get everything done and everything was crashing and not working. I ended up just running all my Group channels into Ozone 6, it sounded good in headphones so I submitted it. Not so good on anything else. In case it's hard to hear, my backwards recording was the little solo in the middle, and yes, the title of this song is absolutely "Fingers Crossed"; it's about superstitions. (See: lyrics) If I have time I'll remix this better, but it's just round zero...

Mark, AKA Sven Mullet AKA ROTR

[edit] dammit Chumpy, here I was thinking it sounded like Cold Ethyl, and you go and gut me with the realization it's kinda footloose...
* this is not a disclaimer
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Cavedwellers - Dig the Celtic fiddle and wind sounds. Did you play those or just sample them, if you played them I'm hella impressed. The backwards phonetic singing is pretty great.
The Cavedweller that goes by "Truth" really played a real violin and a real flute. I hope my mix honored the real instruments. That guy can play anything. Thanks for kind review!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
WendyWisemanFisher
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: piano, voice
Recording Method: Mixcraft 7
Submitting as: Wendy Wiseman Fisher

Post by WendyWisemanFisher »

Märk wrote:Hey people! Sorry 'bout the shi-tay mix on my song. I was scrambling last minute to get everything done and everything was crashing and not working.
I so feel you on that one. *pokes computer*
Because Zombie Requiem, that's why.