Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Re: Nur Ein XII - Round Three

Post by Märk »

glennny wrote:If only there was some online community to appeal to, where people are used to tight deadlines.
Everyone I know here has been in a Nur Ein. That is the fucked part of the challenge.
* this is not a disclaimer
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jerkatorium »

There's nothing in the rule that compels you to obtain the vocalists' consent to use their voices...

"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Aw, that cat looks just like ours: https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofjj/
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

NE -XII Round 3 Listening Party for Regime Change
Monday May 8 - 9 pm EST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0xR0t53VY4

I dusted off a photo from my COM 107 project 'World Concepts' lp cover which I got a D- on for 'lousy aging process in the photo manipulation', which was basically scratching the photo paper in the darkroom and tossing letraset on it, while writing 4 pages of drivel about the backstory.

I was pissed beyond belief on the grade, since I had gotten all my dorm mates together for the photo shoot and took several rolls of 35mm around a Risk board.
So, Fuck you , TA that gave me a lousy grade 37 years ago. "Sinan and the Fubars" made it on the cover of a Nur Ein Listening Party!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Udmy ... sp=sharing
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Märk wrote:
glennny wrote:If only there was some online community to appeal to, where people are used to tight deadlines.
Everyone I know here has been in a Nur Ein. That is the fucked part of the challenge.
Yes. I was planning on seeking Pepper Jane's input on the guest round, and even trying to rope Sausage Boy back into the fold - but alas....
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Yeah judges! Why make it so hard on everybody? You could have just said no Frankie Big Face and no children of glennny. We all know that's what you wanted to avoid ;)
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Using the SongFight Jukebox and organizing by descending entries. Looking through the list, and going from memory. You'd have to verify with them they've never been involved in Nur Ein. I'd start PMing:
Klownhole, Flvxxm Florvm, State Shirt, Raised by Wolves, Max the Cat, Sober the Irishman, son ofsupercar, .....etc

is it possible Roymond never competed? he only judged?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Do the guests have to ONLY sing on separate sections of the song? If they sing apart from each other on separate sections and also sing together on another different section, is that OK? (Merisan has immunity but BSS is still working on an entry and I'm wrangling the guest singers and trying to figure out how to put them to use in a way that fulfills the challenge and maybe uses them more than that if possible.)
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Yes, in light of last years "How does she do it" fiasco.
My BSS brothers and sisters would like some blessings.
Is verse one a different section than verse two? or are those both verse sections?

My cavedweller plan is
Verse One: Guest vocalist One
Chorus One: Guest vocalist one, plus regular cavedweller
verse two: Guest vocalist two
chorus two: guest vocalist two, plus regular cavedweller
bridge: regular cavedweller
verse three: cavedweller
chorus three: all four

does that satisfy the challenge?
they each appear in a separate section of the song, but they don't only appear in the separate section of the songs.

You Light No Longer Shines: multiple narrators

cheers
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
MicahSommer wrote:
HeuristicsInc wrote:Non-optional challenge: Two or more guest vocalists, each appearing in a separate section of your song.
Question: Can multiple individuals appear together in a section (essentially as one guest), as long as there is at least one other section featuring someone else?
If I read the challenge carefully it says each guest vocalist in their own section.
I don't necessarily like it, but it is clear, is it not?
-bill
Sorry, Lunkhead and Glennny, the judges have already "spoken" about this (see above). In answer to your question "Is verse one a different section than verse two? or are those both verse sections?" I would see verse 1 and verse 2 as separate sections.

I would encourage all contestants, if stuck, to consider what or who exactly constitutes a guest vocalist...

j$
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

HeuristicsInc wrote:If I read the challenge carefully it says each guest vocalist in their own section. I don't necessarily like it, but it is clear, is it not? -bill
j$ wrote:Yes, one guest vocalist per section. It's just whether you count BVs as 'vocals' or not. Your own individual calls, we'll decide on a case by case basis.
OK, so, the guests must be "lead vocals" only, and only in their own individual section, and they must not sing any backing vocals at any point even if they also sing lead during a different section, because "backing vocals" are not "vocals"? I honestly just want to make sure I get it, sorry for the repeated questions.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Yeah, my attitude is the safe bet is only one guest vocal (sung or spoken etc) in any section and sing the BVs yourself, if you're planning to use them. I personally won't be too tough on guest BVs overlapping sections, as I take the challenge to mean lead vocals; but I can't speak for the other judges so caveat emptor.

Also I suppose if folks are really struggling to come up with two new guest vocalists, one could argue that a vocal sample could count as a guest vocal. again, I would accept that but I can't speak for the other judges - caveat emptor.

That said, I would pipe up in defence of any one doing either of those things if other judges brought it up for reason for DQ. It has to be a unanimous decision (with the final say falling to Niveous if we really can't agree).

j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

glennny wrote:Yes, in light of last years "How does she do it" fiasco.
Hey don't be so hard on yourself, it wasn't *that* terrible a song ;)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK cool, thanks for the clarification, I think I get it now. It's a bit of a bummer because I've lined up two guests who are way better vocalists than anybody in BSS so I would have loved to have had them sing the backing vocals too! :)
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

You could always record them overlapping, edit it out for the entry and later post the 'preferred' version here for all to hear? Just to show judges" stupid challenges stifle creativity, if nothing else :)
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Just an FYI - the last thing I want is a quaint guest vocal in the beginning, a quaint guest vocal at the end, and then a 3 minute song in-between. So if you get past that low hurdle, I'm probably okay with your take on the challenge.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:Just an FYI - the last thing I want is a quaint guest vocal in the beginning, a quaint guest vocal at the end, and then a 3 minute song in-between. So if you get past that low hurdle, I'm probably okay with your take on the challenge.
Got it. No QGVs!!!!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:the last thing I want is a quaint guest vocal...
My Belle and Sebastian collab is fucked then [/wilfully misinterpreting the guidance]
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Lunkhead wrote:
HeuristicsInc wrote:If I read the challenge carefully it says each guest vocalist in their own section. I don't necessarily like it, but it is clear, is it not? -bill
j$ wrote:Yes, one guest vocalist per section. It's just whether you count BVs as 'vocals' or not. Your own individual calls, we'll decide on a case by case basis.
OK, so, the guests must be "lead vocals" only, and only in their own individual section, and they must not sing any backing vocals at any point even if they also sing lead during a different section, because "backing vocals" are not "vocals"? I honestly just want to make sure I get it, sorry for the repeated questions.
Huh, I hate to disagree with j$, but did we really say that each guest HAD to be ONLY in one section? I don't see it.
If you want your guests to appear in more places than the single section that's fine with me, as long as they're alone elsewhere...
Keep in mind each judge decides these things alone it seems...
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

HeuristicsInc wrote:Huh, I hate to disagree with j$, but did we really say that each guest HAD to be ONLY in one section? I don't see it.
If you want your guests to appear in more places than the single section that's fine with me, as long as they're alone elsewhere...
Keep in mind each judge decides these things alone it seems...
-bill
Great point. "Only" and "alone" are not stated in the requirement. Among the collection of groups AC, BC, and ABC, A and B appear in separate groups. In a song where A and B are guest vocalists and C is a non-guest backing vocalist, you could have an AC verse, a BC verse, and an ABC chorus, and that should not contravene the requirement. For that matter, you could have an A verse, a B verse, and an AB chorus, and that should not flout the requirement either. There is also no specification of "lead" or "backing".

On the other hand, if one were to try take advantage of ambiguousness in the text of the challenge as a means of skirting the spirit of the challenge (e.g. your choir of backing vocalists uses a different mezzo-soprano in chorus 2 than was used in chorus 1) then I think the judges would be right to ding you for it. My interpretation of the spirit of the challenge is that the guest vocalists should each be featured instead of hidden, so that is what we're moving forward with.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

" Two or more guest vocalists, each appearing in a separate section of your song." is pretty clear. Each appearing in a separate section -
from each other. Sure it doesn't say 'only'. It doesn't say 'at least one separate section of your song'. It certainly doesn't say '.. then they can have a big ol' back-slap jamboree' at the end. It certainly isn't just "two or more guest vocalists".

Play it like you want to play it, guys and gals. But no f**ing whining if it plays against you in the count.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Man, such a hard challenge, two, guests vocalists! Nobody would fault you for just not submitting a song this time around, it'd be totally understandable. It's Saturday night here in the US, and you should be out drinking and not working on your song. Seriously, you can work on it tomorrow, go have fun!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken