bgm
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitars, vocals, some drums, some keys, various shaky things
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: bgm, 73 Keep It Beautiful, From A Basement
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XII - Round Three

Post by bgm »

Chumpy wrote:Man, such a hard challenge, two, guests vocalists! Nobody would fault you for just not submitting a song this time around, it'd be totally understandable. It's Saturday night here in the US, and you should be out drinking and not working on your song. Seriously, you can work on it tomorrow, go have fun!
I'm drinking and working.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I agree this is a huge challenge. I have been very lucky in that I have many people bending over backwards for me, most of all glennny which is funny cos we're rivals. I do think it would be super harsh if there was a disqualification because someone could only get one guest, for example. Relying on the goodwill of others to complete Nur Ein does take fate out of our hands somewhat and I resent that slightly.

That said, I think I'm gonna be okay. I hope everyone else pulls through, and I'm in their corner if they don't.

For the next round I propose non-optional challenges for the judges. You must buy us all cake! Who's with me? :D

P.s. I want to reiterate how much I owe glennny one this week. The dude is a legend.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

At pub now. Auditioning random drunks for vocals.

If anyone can use a sound bite of 2 lesbians screaming "fuck her in the pussy" - pm me. I don't think I can use it.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

Caravan Ray wrote: If anyone can use a sound bite of 2 lesbians screaming "fuck her in the pussy" - pm me. I don't think I can use it.
Just read this. Track already submitted. Shit.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I'm out. Life wins again. Tough titty for me. NUR NEIN!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:I'm out. Life wins again. Tough titty for me. NUR NEIN!
Oh no! Seriously sorry to hear that. :(
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

This pig is sucking hind tit as well. (Blah, blah, ten hour work days THIS challenge of all challenges, blah, blah, doggie door installation took too long, blah, blah, weekend softball tourney in KC ran late, blah, blah, one of two vocalists couldn't do it last minute, blah, blah, didn't actually finish writing the song, blah, blah) = out.

Good luck to everyone else.

Edit to add: I did finish 8th in my first 5k (well, since cross country in h.s. almost 30 years ago) this week. That was kind of cool.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I will be in in next 30 min. Just trying to work out which on my mixes is least crappy.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

BSS is in, guest info with the lyrics in the lyrics thread. Sorry to hear you're dropping out too PFJR. Bummer! So at most one non-default elimination this week then, it sounds like. :/
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

In, by the skin of my teeth. An hour before the deadline, I was about to give up. Now I'm glad I didn't, since obviously everyone who submitted a song will make it to the next round 8-)
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Wow, three non-entries this round. That must be some kind of record. Does that mean everyone who submitted moves into the next round?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Five people dropped out of NE VIII Round One. http://nurein.songlander.com/titles/B1F ... 32F9CB64AC

Usually when as many people drop out as there would have been people eliminated it means everybody else gets a pass, but, it's up to the judges' whims.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Actually, not up to our whims. The rule has already been stated in this forum during Nur Ein XII. Each 'drop-out' takes the place of an elimination, so, yes, there will be no eliminations this round. We will still rank the entries (as this is the last round to win immunity and also for, you know, shitz and gigglez). The only thing I'm not sure on is the unlikely situation where someone has failed to meet the non-optional challenge. My instinct is there would be no 'free pass' but maybe Niv can confirm / deny that if he sees this ...

j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

furrypedro wrote:I do think it would be super harsh if there was a disqualification because someone could only get one guest, for example. Relying on the goodwill of others to complete Nur Ein does take fate out of our hands somewhat and I resent that slightly.
Pete, that's ridiculous and you know it. It would be completely unfair on those who felt they had to drop out if we now let someone through who failed to meet the challenge but submitted it anyway.

For reference - the judges had some discussion last week on whether Ben K had met the challenge. It was decided he did, on a technicality. D/Qing is the last thing we want to have to do (because it would create a bad atmosphere and it's not what the contest is about) but it's a rule in place, so we will abide by it.

"Relying on the goodwill of others" is what has always been required every guest round so far. The only difference this time round is it's one bigger than usual.

TBF, it's a little bit rich to talk about resenting the rules of a competition you chose to enter even though you knew you were going to be in f**ing JAPAN for a chunk of it and then complain about how hard that's making your life? Why do something that appears to make you unhappy, when you don't have to? Honest question. Alternatively, you could volunteer to be a judge next year, if you really feel it should change.

j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

OK, spoken to Niv. DQs still stand - not heard any songs yet - but if all five judges agree the song does not meet the challenge, and Niv as final arbiter agrees, that person will be disqualified. It is a non-optional challenge.

However, the challenge is pretty logistical this time, so we will nor be debating nuance and of course we will listen in the spirit of the competition - positively.

- I.e. is it a good song and does it address the challenge in an interesting, song-improving way?
Last edited by j$ on Mon May 08, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Those are some crazy good songs!
Everyone sounds like they clearly nailed the challenge, I don't think anyone is anywhere near a DQ discussion. To my ears anyway.

I made a song bio thread. I think Travis and Bill will be interested in it. I know j$ is not. I'm not sure about Mike and Andy. It's here if you're interested:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10972
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

It's not that I'm not interested, I just don't think it's a healthy progression for the good of judges, who are already desperately trying to find a way to distinguish between ten brilliant songs in terms of ranking. Thank god no-one has to go home this round!

Also, smugly (yes, it's my fault, mainly) I am pleased that a (as already recognised by the judges) hard challenge brought such great stuff.

j$
WendyWisemanFisher
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: piano, voice
Recording Method: Mixcraft 7
Submitting as: Wendy Wiseman Fisher

Post by WendyWisemanFisher »

Lunkhead, Jessie's voice is one of the best things that's happened to me all week. Holy alto power Batman. *swoons*
Because Zombie Requiem, that's why.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Reviews! 1+1+2+?

73 Keep It Beautiful - I was about to say 'oh that chorus could do with a keyboard riff' and there it is in the post-chorus. This is a lovely song. You probably know your voice sits so nicely on this style. And great guest vocalists (I'm assuming family members but hey, doesn't matter). Cute and pretty.

Balance Lost- Yeah, that's a lovely tune. Glennny's appearance is not a problem for me, obviously, apart from a personal distaste for the old boys' club - doesn't break the challenge in any way. Not entirely convinced / able to hear due to basic personal tonelessness who is singing the BVs in each section but then again, did say I wouldn't judge too harshly on that, so no worries. Very nice musik. I think this might be my personal favourite entry by you this Nur Ein. See what a proper challenge can bring out? Lyric is shit though ;)

BSS - 'Fascism' is a little jarring in the phrasing and maybe the lyric is a little on the nose; that said it's (a) message(s) worth making and it's undeniably funky as F, so yeah, I like. (And I like it even more on the second listen. A grower).

Cavedwellers - 'I knew a man called Glennny - he was always coming'? (PS that bit is my favourite vocal of the entire song, though all the voices sound sweet). Top tune though maybe the arrangement is a little thin? Not sure. Not judging it on that.Dirty good bass line seals it.

Glenn Case - While I'm not a fan of country by any stretch, I like the ironic 'all round ours for a good time' party vibe of this. Perhaps the background 'fucking about' becomes a little annoying two minutes in but I don't mind it. The CCR backing vocal arrangements sit nicely. Points down for being on the nose, points up for the mood. I think this is a good ol' song for sure so all good.

Jerkatorium - Oh that opening! Some of the lyric is a bit clumsy in the phrasing, in the chorus more than elsewhere but it's not a deal-breaker. I'm a little worried that the arrangement can carry the song all the way through 'til we hit the gorgeous bridge and then it goes properly all punk pop ELO in a warm, fuzzy way. That last chorus / ending is some of the most wonderful music I've heard in a while and it makes me realise you couldn't have got there any other way. Doesn't mean I'm entirely enamoured with it on the way there; but I appreciate. [EDIT: Second and third listen - oh yeah, OK, I get it. This is TOPZ though maybe a cheeky lead guitar part more prominent throughout the arrangement would propel this into proper stellar-dom).

Micah - I felt you were playing it a bit safe but the bit Sally sings on (the bridge, whatever you call it) elevates this. I can look past the few 'Look at me! I'm writing a song' phrases in the lyric ('so wait for the key change', 'I'm just a simple accordianist').

Nick - Now That's What I Call 80s Music vol.103! That vocal is a bit wobbly. No, it's damn wobbly. I think the tune carries it, though. I like the sleazy bass and the rises into the choruses. Or what I call the choruses anyhoo. It's a bit klultzy, overall but in a charming way so I like it. Possibly despite myself but hey, I like.

Skub - Oh yeah, this is great. Possibly a bit too RHCP for my tastes but undeniably unique and when you track Mosis' vocal, it's like 'oh yeah'. Lyrically, it's a little on the nose but as with everyone, that's the title, can't be too tough on that.

Strangelove - Interesting how you abandon the electronica approach as soon as the challenge gets tough :) Cool interpretation of the challenge, best so far (as long as you're not lying to us about your drunken open mic pals ;) ) Shame it's not outside of your comfort range musically but I'm tapping a toe and humming along so it gets a tick. Plus a tick for approaching the challenge with the right amount of disdain.

How do I rank these? Sheesh. The loneliness of a long-distance judge ...
Last edited by j$ on Mon May 08, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

j$ wrote:
furrypedro wrote:I do think it would be super harsh if there was a disqualification because someone could only get one guest, for example. Relying on the goodwill of others to complete Nur Ein does take fate out of our hands somewhat and I resent that slightly.
Pete, that's ridiculous and you know it. It would be completely unfair on those who felt they had to drop out if we now let someone through who failed to meet the challenge but submitted it anyway...

"Relying on the goodwill of others" is what has always been required every guest round so far. The only difference this time round is it's one bigger than usual.
I think you've interpreted my comment as "the rules should be ignored". I wasn't suggesting that. I was just trying to express sympathy for those who were having difficulty with this challenge.

In my case there were 7 people I asked for help, 3 of whom couldn't, one who was late, and another 3 who could, thus helping me tick the boxes and make a (hopefully) great song. If I hadn't asked so many people I might have been screwed. It's a spin of the wheel where no amount of my own ability would have saved me, but this isn't about me in this case.

My assumption is that the judges don't want people to be disqualified or drop out because they can't fulfil the challenge due to non-competitors. Is that something you considered when you chose the challenge? Because it seems to be working out that way. I just think this is an interesting discussion. If we were having it face-to-face I doubt it would sound whiny so I hope it doesn't sound like that on the board. and if it does, well, fuck it.
j$ wrote:TBF, it's a little bit rich to talk about resenting the rules of a competition you chose to enter even though you knew you were going to be in f**ing JAPAN for a chunk of it and then complain about how hard that's making your life? Why do something that appears to make you unhappy, when you don't have to? Honest question. Alternatively, you could volunteer to be a judge next year, if you really feel it should change.

j$
I suppose I did technically say words to the effect of "my life is so difficult!" (comment #3), but in the same breath I did affirm my resolve, so in my book that nullifies the (tongue-in-cheek) complaint. It made me weep a little tear that you would take my comment in such a cynical way :cry: I thought we were friends! ;) I wear my naivety with pride.

While it's true that I've never liked the guest part of Nur Ein, I do like a challenge and meeting adversity head-on so that's part of the reason why I entered knowing it would probably come up, it's the hard things that are worth doing etc.etc.etc. Also, the parts of Nur Ein that make me happy outweigh the part that doesn't. Furthermore, this challenge has led to me doing what i consider to be a cool collaboration that I otherwise wouldn't have done, but to reiterate my comment was not referring to my efforts this week - it's about those less fortunate than me (think of the children!)

Another reason why I entered is that if I did get knocked out this round at least I would have 3 new songs.

Going back to the Japan thing for a moment, I was away for 2 weeks and I've still not been knocked out yet! That's impressive right? :D
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

furrypedro wrote:I think you've interpreted my comment as "the rules should be ignored". I wasn't suggesting that. I was just trying to express sympathy for those who were having difficulty with this challenge.

No. You said we should pass people who failed to meet the challenge but managed to submit anyway. That is not the same as expressing sympathy. Sorry, I can only go with what you write. And then, only my (mis)interpretation of it, at best.
My assumption is that the judges don't want people to be disqualified or drop out because they can't fulfil the challenge
True.
due to non-competitors.
Wrong. It's just regardless, as I've made abundantly clear, as recently as this afternoon here.
Is that something you considered when you chose the challenge? Because it seems to be working out that way.
Do you seriously think the judges don't take their collective responsibility into consideration? It really isn't the case in my experience- but OK ...

Regardless of the long discussion behind judges' closed doors, in this very thread I offered, personally, various outs for people across the build-up to deadline, including, specifically, to alter the challenge to ''guests who have not appeared on *your* previous Nur Ein songs". While it wouldn't have been my decision individually, not one competitor said "yes, please". No-one said anything. That's fine, admirable even; but I have little sympathy for people (which may or may not include your good, talented self) who talk and never listen. For means of comparison of commitment ... your round zero? ;)
I It made me weep a little tear that you would take my comment in such a cynical way :cry: I thought we were friends! ;)
No it didn't; but yes, I certainly consider us friends. I wouldn't call out anyone who hadn't at least met me once in a way I feel the freedom to do with your good self. that's my bad - but as a judge, I would never play favourites (hello, those who used to accuse me of that whenever I was judging and FBF was competing).
I was away for 2 weeks and I've still not been knocked out yet! That's impressive right? :D
You made a great song despite your temporary limitations. That's really impressive to me. Though I feel like the posts are you trying to play us (Smiley limited reached)

Now let's allow others to have their say, at least until next round? See you there

j$
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

WendyWisemanFisher wrote:Lunkhead, Jessie's voice is one of the best things that's happened to me all week. Holy alto power Batman. *swoons*
Yes!! She is great. I used to play guitar in her band, The Fireflies, before she decided to do other stuff (like get married and have a baby :) ). https://www.facebook.com/Fireflynation/ I'll let her know a listener appreciated her singing, thanks for that.