Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Nur Ein XII - Round Seven

Post by Niveous »

News:

Strangelove has arrived and I gather this may be some sort of time zone related mix up so I'll post it up when I return to my hotel.

Listen.

Then send your votes to the nurein email. You know the one.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Niveous wrote:
Songs will be due on 6/9.
Oh eff.

Did that mean midnight Friday?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Niveous wrote:News:

Strangelove has arrived and I gather this may be some sort of time zone related mix up so I'll post it up when I return to my hotel.

Listen.

Oh yeah. Sorry.

I thought I still had a few more hours
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

Reviews!

73 Keep It Beautiful - I like the idea, but I don't find the execution particularly interesting. It's not a bad song, but it doesn't do much for me. Like the vocal.

Glenn Case - This reminds me of TMBG when they are trying to rock out. It's, perhaps, something about the melody in the verse or the rhythm in the chorus. Reminds me of the Giants' "Erase", for some reason. That's a compliment, as I really like that song.

Skub - My favorite. Kinda knew that even before listening. :D what can I say, it's a Skub song. That should say enough. Brilliant playing, singing, and composition.

strangelove - Favorite lyrics. This is fun. Don't think it's trying to be anything else, which is OK. :)
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

Niveous wrote:Listen.

When is the deadline to vote?
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

73 Keep It Beautiful: Well performed and well mixed. I like the guitars, the dirt sound to the vocals. It chugs along rather nicely. The rhythm guitar may be slightly monotonous by the end.

Glenn Case: Chorusy guitars are kind of cool. The slowed down 80's ZZ Top rhythm w/ the 8th notes in the verse is cool. Vocals are done well. I love the chorus melody.

Skub: Good mix. I like the vocal performance. I like the arrangement. You build from verse to verse unobtrusively and effectively. The vox gets buried a bit by musical climax but resolves nicely to the gorgeous ending. It bugs me when you sang "forgot" instead of "forgotten" even though it works just fine.

Strangelove: I liked the rhythm right off. The vox seemed a bit jarring, either up in the mix or maybe tonally (or possibly both.) But the vocal performance was good, the timing was good. And I liked the delayed outtake.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

Sorry I couldn't be present more as a performer or commenter this time. I've been really busy. Here are my Round 7 reviews, in order from most to least favorite:

Strange Love - This is the kookiest entry with a hook I can sink my teeth into. It’s funny, it’s got attitude, great synth textures. And the secret ending?!?! Winner by a mile.

Glenn Case - This is the kookiest entry withs a hook that isn’t quite as memorable. But there are some neat breaks, and love the twin guitar lines.

Skub - This song reaches the highest and misses. There’s a lot of talent on display, but it’s serving a pretty vanilla entry to my ears. I think song ends right where the arrangement finally starts to do something interesting.

73 Keep it Beautiful - Nice energy, but the hook in the chorus isn’t catchy enough to counterbalance the talking verses.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Guess I can't use the "busy working on next round's song" excuse to slack on reviews anymore. These were all really good.

73 Keep It Beautiful - A proto-punk gem, this freight train of a song doesn't waste a second. Awesome drums and solo. I could dig the distorted talky stuff for a verse or a bridge, but not the whole song.

Glenn Case - Another huge rocker, those fast hats set a driving pace. This would make a good montage song. The chorus will be stuck in my head forever. The double guitar solos are Mega Man 2 quality (that's the highest level of quality for double guitar solos).

Skub - Really happy with how this one turned out.

Strangelove - So glad you made it in. Groovin' bass... actually, groovin' everything. Love the little breakdown before "Can't you move...". You repeat "get out" nearly as many times as you repeated "elevator man". Makes the mistake of comparing itself to a funnier song. Glad I stuck around for the after credits scene, although I would not have been strong enough to resist dropping in a Ferris Bueller's day off sample there.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Nur Ein XII – Finals Review

I like albums. I like album sides. For the end of this Nur Ein, I want to hear you’re a-Game. I want to hear something a little epic, something that is the appropriate ending to this journey we’ve been on. Nur Ein 3 was the last 4 way finals battle. WSA came out on top, and I think mostly because we did just that. You know, we want your best “Day in the Life” or “The Ocean”, or “Brain Damage->Eclipse” I like all of these songs. I only get 25% BSS influence and 50% Cavedweller influence, here’s how I like them Bottom to top.

73- Keep it Beautiful: This is cool, I do like it. It feels like a rushed song. I don’t enjoy the distorted talking stuff so much. Especially when I expect beautiful melodies and harmonies from you. This feels like a filler track on an album. It doesn’t feel like a culminating statement from the defending champ. I find the guitar solo a little weak too. You have a great driving beat and room for a lot of notes there. Everything you do is good, but this one is not a favorite for me.

Strangelove: I’m not buying the Easter egg was intentional. Sounds like something you neglected to clip off. It happens to me all the time. This is a pleasant groove fest. There’s not much in the way of dynamics on this one. I don’t feel much emotional difference verse to chorus. Your rapid vocals are entertaining, but I’d prefer a great melody. In any case this is a fun listen and I do like the track. I’m looking forward to the live version someday.

Glenn Case: There is so much right with this! I love the ambition! You’re a far better drummer than I am, but I am spoiled for drums with our friend Ken. I love the drum sounds but it’s a little loose around the beat. I agree the chorus is much stronger than the verse. I’m quite the sucker for the punchy riffs in the bridge. Awesome song! Good Job!

Skub: The mood for this song is perfect for a finals song. The beat is awesome, the bass sounds fantastic. The singing is just wonderful! The harmonies are amazing. I’ve listened a dozen times at least to all of these songs. This is the one that I seem to like better with every listen. This melody sticks in my head. The intensity build is excellent. My only criticism is the criticism we all want: I wish it was longer, I want more. All of your tracks this Nur Ein have been very impressive, this one might be my favorite, but there’s tough competition. In conclusion: Wow!

So my ranking top to bottom is:
1- Skub (btw I love the name!, I had to look it up)
2- Glenn Case
3- Strangelove
4- 73- Keep It Beautiful
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

I have been very slack re. reviewing this year...so - at the end - here are my rankings:

1. SKUB: On first listen, I didn't think this was your strongest song here. on 2nd, 3rd and subsequent listens - I changed my mind. This has a lovely build up to it. I can picture drunks swaying and singing it. This is probably my favourite of yours. Good job. You have led this from the front all through the 8 weeks - you will be a well deserved winner I predict.

2. 73 keep it Beautiful: This is cool. A nice variation on your normal stuff. But damn, your stuff is always so polished.

3. Glenn Case: Excellent job as usual - but not grabbing me as much as the other two. Thanks for coming along for the ride.

and

Me: WTF am I still doing here amongst such illustrious competition? Whatever - I had fun recording this. And glad I am in after my appalling stuff up in reading dates. Those with sharp ears may notice some backward guitar recording, prominent use of repetition, and a guest appearance from the robot voice I used for "Tired of Talking". It is also a lipogram I suppose, in that the letters z, x q are not used. No deliberate mondegreens, but the lyrics are so fast, listeners may come up with their own. Pleased that i think that this was my best job of mastering (what do you think MG?).
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Last day for voting. Get your votes in by midnight tonight! Send them to nurein.sidefight at gmail!
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Judges do not vote - correct?
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Judges can vote!!!!
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Congrats to Skub, you deserved this win after dominating the early rounds.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Congrats Adam! Please continue the music making!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

Congrats on a well deserved victory.
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

Congrats Skub! Great music and a well deserved win!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Woo! Thanks for all the 'grats. This Nur Ein was intensely awesome, and the sheer volume of great music it generated blows my mind. You some talented MF'ers. Music Fighters, of course.

I want to harness that talent. If anyone wants to help me turn my Nur Ein XII entries into a little album, come check out this thread.

PS: I was going to go back under a rock until Nur Ein XXII, but y'all were so nice to me that I think I'll stick around this time.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Adam! wrote:Woo! Thanks for all the 'grats. This Nur Ein was intensely awesome, and the sheer volume of great music it generated blows my mind. You some talented MF'ers. Music Fighters, of course.

I want to harness that talent. If anyone wants to help me turn my Nur Ein XII entries into a little album, come check out this thread.

PS: I was going to go back under a rock until Nur Ein XXII, but y'all were so nice to me that I think I'll stick around this time.
Congrats Mr Puce. A victory well deserved. Good to have you back.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Nicely Done, Skub. There was a lot of good music this Nur Ein, but you had a good crop of songs this year!

Do we make Frankie Big Face do a smackdown to the death with you, now that you've both got 2 under your belts?
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

We saw that match up in Nur Ein 2.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers