Nur Ein XIII Round Two "3:20"

There can be only one.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XIII Round Two "3:20"

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I sent in a shadow. Didn't spend a lot of time on it because... well, because it's a shadow. Yes, it's the prerequisite 3:20 long. I wrote mine about being an hour early for a meet up with friends. I also had the idea of writing a song about running a marathon in 3 hours and 20 minutes or a bible verse (or verses) which I did some small research into. Luckily I've been cut so it doesn't really matter what I do at this point. I'm hoping to have a real live computer before too long in which to do some better mixing. Good luck to all the real contestants.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
thirdcat
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, keys, drums, programming
Submitting as: Third Cat

Post by thirdcat »

Just sent mine in. Yes my "3:20" is 3:20 long. Although the mp3 is showing it as 3:21, I think it's rounding up or something. My ambience is rain falling I recorded a few days ago.
truth
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Cavedwellers, Yardley Social Scene, Katy & the Dwellers, Tindersoot, Mandibles

Post by truth »

Mandibles’ song is based on the apocalyptic visions of John the Revalator. Cybronica created an ambient soundscape with her voice, singing Rev 3:20. Zidong and myself sang verses over the top. The coda features the voices of all three of us gathered around a mic.
Fisher
A New Player
Submitting as: Fisher & Diaz

Post by Fisher »

Fisher & Diaz interpreted ambience as "background noise added to a musical recording to give the impression that it was recorded live". Since we're named after a (fictional) funeral home, our "3:20" is a reference to Ecclesiastes 3:20, which is a Bible verse about dying.
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

You guys were really creative with your lyrics this round. Can't wait until I get to hear the songs! I like the Biblical references especially. Ecclesiastes is my favorite book in the Old Testament (from what I remember), because it's more philosophical and less sanguinary than the others. :)

BTW, one more thing before the songs get posted: if my song reminds you of something, that's because it's an homage to... well, if you can't hear to whom, then I miserably failed. :D
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Note to Judges:

Since Owl Chemist were the first to post Bible references in the lyrics thread, all subsequent use of Bible references is clearly copycattery.

Stoning is probably appropriate.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

So mine is about the Moirai or the fates, or maybe just Atropos who cuts the thread. My ambiance also uses the wonderful resource Carlo brought up (the SFX of the BBC); as well as some other fun places and creations. It was originally 3min 20 but I know that pushing the fade and the activity any longer to hit a mark (it's characteristically long as-is :D) would have been ill advised in my case where it was clever for other people. As the 3:20 thing refers to an appointed Time of Death, I didn't need it to be a specific time, I just needed it to be jarring and faintly sickening and horrible.

Also, this terrified my cat and also is really harrowing to mix in a dark room late at night and suddenly someone springs into your room to ask if you'd like something. AAAAHHHHH.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

The songs are up!
https://nurein.songlander.com/titles/FD ... 6705479773

[ETA: that was Niveous posting under Brookes's login]
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
B Mac
A New Player
Submitting as: B Mac

Post by B Mac »

Caravan Ray wrote:
B Mac wrote:Caravan ray, used gb on iPhone using built in mic
Good. Now we just have to work on that bizarre “caravan ray” style strumming you do when playing live ;)
If there's no blood on the flat top, you're not trying hard enough. :D
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

New url for the LP tonight. I double clicked, and it decided to make it :04 seconds with no reloading. oops.
Preshow live now. SpinTUnes starts at 9:00 pn EST. Nur Ein about 15 minutes after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhYnPToCpiM
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

noma wrote:BTW, one more thing before the songs get posted: if my song reminds you of something, that's because it's an homage to... well, if you can't hear to whom, then I miserably failed. :D
Intro reminds me of Metallica, key changes remind me of Soundgarden. I'm pretty sure you meant neither of those. But overall, didn't really remind me of anything obvious and sounded awesome.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Nick,

This is an homage to Echoes by Pink Floyd. Its done very well, I enjoyed it immensely!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

glennny wrote:Nick,

This is an homage to Echoes by Pink Floyd. Its done very well, I enjoyed it immensely!
You are correct. Still, thanks to Mike for the Metallica / Soundgarden comparison; it's not what I aimed for, but I like those bands, too. :)
In fact it's an homage to PF in general, especially Echoes, Breathe, Us and Them, Cirrus Minor, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and Comfortably Numb (note how my vocal melody in the chorus is initially similar to "There is no pain you are receding...")
Pink Floyd are usually lauded for their general creativity, musical innovation, and Gilmour's and Wright's playing, all rightfully so. But they are IMO not given enough credit for the way they incorporated sound effects, ambient (!) sounds into their music - birds, wind, whalesong, lawnmowers, clocks, cash registers,... They were among the first artists to do so, and thus paved way for ambient and industrial music.
When I hear "ambience", I think Floyd. Plus they are one of the main reasons I started making music in the first place, even if you rarely hear the influence in my songs. So, with this challenge, it was a no brainer to me.
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

Another really strong round. I begin to fear being eliminated. Congrats to every entry.

My (very difficult to define) top 10 for round 2, in alphabetical order and according to very variable criteria, is:

DJ Ranger Den
Fisher and Diaz
Inflatable Vegetables
Lookylu
Mandibles
Matchy Matchy
Owl Chemist
Rob From Amersfoort
Third Cat
Vom Vorton
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I had to use some advanced mathematical formulas for this one.
Nice stuff!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

This was a good round. Then again, I broke my arm on Saturday, so I’ve been off my tits on the drugs ever since.

You lucky, lucky people :0 Apologies for abbreviated opinions as a result (as no-one ever said to me ever) Almost batting order ...

Vom Vorton I really liked this one and it was top of my rankings ‘til DJRD turned up with her lofispookfest.
Owl Chemist I also really liked this one. The points which kept it from scoring (even) higher - slightly tuneless acapella at the beginning. “they’re only happy when they’re dead” (or whatever) don’t layer tuneless bvs that much – it accentuates rather than smothers. Still top dog.
Third Cat Apparently, I put this third in my drug addled rankings. TBF, it is very well done and gentle to the ear. Good, pretty stuff, tertiary feline.
Rob From Amersfoort - Good, good. Loved the discordant sections and the vocal phrasing. Chose not to go down the big chorus approach which maybe this needed, but no biggie.
Lookylu - gentle music, gentle ambience. Lyric’s appalling but it doesn’t matter because drug-addled ears don’t focus. I like the overall atmosphere and doesn’t outstay its welcome.
DJ Ranger Den - As said elsewhere, lofispookfest! It’s a signature sound that works so well for you! #topofthescaries
Mandibles – yeah, liked this one. Weird lyrical choices which could be misinterpreted as a bit stalker-ish but lovely guitar tone. Not too overwhelming
[bI]nflatable Vegetables[/b] mix is a bit rough on the ear. Everything up front? Human league B-side isn’t such a bad idea. Like your lyric. Wear the pomposity like a victim’s skin :)
BMac I really liked the thinking / scope behind this one. Just some ropey singing dragging it down the rankings. Storytelling in songs is a big tick, although must be admitted didn’t follow every minutia first listen.
Grumpy Mike Most of these reviews I could write from memory. Not this one, which explains why you’re down here – Awesome backing track – vaguely Hawking-esque Robot Scientist talking is not working for me. There are no fallen angels on earth. Just FYR. It’s all a bit Baz Luhrmann's "sunscreen" TBH.
Nick Soma crickets for ambience – seriously? Well, OK cos I quite like Echo & the Bunnymen though they’re mediocre, as well. Hahaha.
Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost This is OK. I would say play something other than omnichord, as your lead every week. I appreciate it doesn’t lend itself to complicated playing and it’s a nice sound, but yeah, slightly superfluous here. If I was being harsh, I would say this becomes, disappointingly, a lo-fi Arcade Fire song; but again, recognising rehearsal room recording, I must admire what you can do in a week. Could do with some harmonies on “this is the witching hour” line. Weird false ending / new song is a bit annoying. I like it more than the previous one but why waste two songs on one title? ;)
Carlo Bruno Jr. How on earth did this get so low down the rankings? Listens again. Oh yeahhhhh. Carlo does sexy/fighty is not working for me. Nice take on the title and nice groove – for a Granada bar on a Thursday night. Bam!
Boffo Yux Dudes It’s a very nice riff. But overall, I find it boring / not entirely in tune. Down the rankings you tumble. Also singing you’re like a short-hop cook makes you look stupid and disrespectful of short-hop cooks, at least the way you do it. “onions” does not belong in any lyric ever. With one exception. Clue: Not you.
Berkeley Social Scene tuneless singing. Boy rock.
Cavedwellers tuneless singing. Not boy rock. Worse.;)
Matchy Matchy Elongated soundscape introduction – which I really like – in between unbearable, badly sung jangle-jangle. Everyone who has ever voted for Jerkatorium anywhere - your just rewards.
Fisher and Diaz I didn't warn you but I am not a fan of meta-boasting; especially when followed up by some standard 4 chord nonsense.

I am out of town Sunday to Saturday next, but will try to find the time to at least get my scores in, cos I love you all. WHERE ARE THE DRUGS?
Last edited by j$ on Wed May 23, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fisher
A New Player
Submitting as: Fisher & Diaz

Post by Fisher »

j$ wrote:Fisher and Diaz I did warn you.
hahahah, we must have missed your warning then, as I have no idea what you're talking about (but I imagine I won't have any idea what you're talking about even if you explain yourself, so no need for any further action)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Fisher wrote:
j$ wrote:Fisher and Diaz I did warn you.
hahahah, we must have missed your warning then, as I have no idea what you're talking about (but I imagine I won't have any idea what you're talking about even if you explain yourself, so no need for any further action)
No, apologies. I checked back to my previous reviews and realised the drugs are to blame. I will edit my review accordingly. J$
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

j$ wrote: Nick Soma crickets for ambience – seriously? Well, OK cos I quite like Echo & the Bunnymen though they’re mediocre, as well. Hahaha.
One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces. :roll: (sorry Caravan for the Pink Floyd reference)
No but seriously, those crickets make up, like, one fifteenth of the song or so. There's plenty of other stuff meant to convey ambience, like in the quiet synth bridge. Can't blame you if you didn't make it that far through the song though. :D
But I'm happy to explain why I used the sound of crickets in the first place. This song takes place in summer, on a meadow, from around 3:20 to daybreak (hence the morning birds in the end of the song), and you know, well, that's what you hear at that time in that place.
Also, it's another Pink Floyd reference, though they didn't use crickets AFAIK (the Beatles did, though, on Sun King - damn those Mediocre Four), they often included animal noises for ambience in their early work (Cirrus Minor, Grantchester Meadows).
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I realized this morning I never posted my reviews even though I did them, so here they are, for whatever they might be worth.

Bss - i like the reggae groove. I was wondering if somebody would go this lyrical route. Nice solo section.
Bmac - i like the repeated use of 320s. The lyrics in general are quite good, but i’m not that fond of how you sing them. It kinda sounds like you’re trying too hard.
Byd - very surprising lyrical theme, but i like it. Good vocals. Grooves along very nicely.
Carlo - hey, i was just complaining about this today to a coworker. We did a talent show for our group at work and everybody just talked through it. Rude. anyway. This is fun. Good use of ambience challenge.
Cave - frippertronics?? Cool. definitely has ambience. Great buildup.
Djrd - creepy! Love the sound effects, and the vocal on 3:20. Left or right justified?
Fisher - good rhymes in the keys bit. Pretty catchy and fun.
Grumpy - really digging the music here and the intro voiceover from tesla is good. I can see, excellent vocal.
Iveg - that synth reminds me of something from portal 2. Not that fond of how you end your verses. Don’t really see the title here.
Looky - the bells are a nice touch. I like the percussion. The vocals aren’t grabbing me for the most part.
Lwrg - whoa, long one. I would kinda like to hear this song studioed up. I like it, though. The part that really makes this song is the latin part II.
Mandibles - kinda like the soundscape, but i’m not sure the lead vocal has enough lyrical content for the length. Nice atmosphere though.
Matchy - i like the lyrics, connecting the two parts of the song.
Nick - this is very good, although it may be a little too much obviously pink floyd (see also: porcupine tree’s “the sky moves sideways”, an excellent album but it wears its influence on its sleeve). Might want more reverb on the vocals. Great guitar work.
Owl - love the bass and synth. This is a good way to get out of writing lyrics, eh?
Rob - fun! I like the rhythm. Good synths. Need lyrics!
Third - if you paint over wallpaper you see seams. We have that problem. I don’t recommend it. Vocals sound good.
Vom - i already said this but i love the lyrics, very evocative. One of your best vocals, and good music to go with it.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Whoa, thanks judges! I must confess I haven't heard most of the other songs yet as I'm away from home but I'll catch up and post some comments this weekend.

I can still submit a song for the next round, right? Because it's already half-recorded, haha.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Congrats, Vom!
Last edited by iVeg on Wed May 23, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
facebook.com/ivegband