Nur Ein XIV Round Two "Pump The Brakes"

There can be only one.
theSundayColors
A New Player
Submitting as: the Sunday Colors

Re: Nur Ein XIV Round Two "Pump The Brakes"

Post by theSundayColors »

I once watched a cooking show where during the dessert portion one of the judges took a taste-test and then said, "oh, if I were a fan of chocolate I'd love this." To which I thought; if you're not a fan of chocolate, what are you doing judging desserts??

This is to say that I'd held off on critiquing music prior to now, since for me it often boiled down to "this isn't my preferred style of music." Well, that's not constructive. And to give the music more care and attention would require time I don't have. This week I had some time to listen carefully, and wanted to repay those who had taken the time to review my stuff.

I'm not really qualified to critique music, I'll just tell you what I like.

Abominominous - Really groovy start. The voice and lyrics match the melody and pace of the song. Reminds me of Thee Dog Night, a tad. You sound like you’re having fun.

Agony Sauce - This one made me giggle. If nothing else comes out of this Nur Ein, I'm so glad this song was made because it's so iconic. Your takedown of Berkeley Social Scene is good lyricism (to say nothing of their music, I like BSS).
Also, you hurt my feelings

Berkeley Social Scene - This is my type of song. I like the sound of that lonely guitar. I wish the singing wasn't so muffled!

Boffo Yux Dudes - I think the use of the song title is good. And the drums are pretty catchy. The lyrics are clever sometimes, but I do think you too-often fall back on calling the person's mom fat.

Faster Jackalope - Ahhhh I could talk about this one for awhile. The banjo is so cute and catchy. I heard the lyrics about forearms and I was curious, and then I realized it was about Popeye. I'm a huge comic strip fan, and I thought this was so clever. Putting a more dramatic spin on a silly comic strip gag, I think it is a really inventive style of storytelling.

Frankie Big Face - The tune is so good, and the voice is just the right timbre. The lyrics feel genuine, it’s not just thrown together - There’s a story being told. “And you are the dullest…” letting that line hang, cutting off short, it's clever. I’m all about it. Sounds like Arcade Fire in the best way.

Grumpy Mike - The singing is solid. The background vocals at the start and end are so cool, too. It's not my preferred genre of music, but I think it's a great song. And a good use of the song title.

Lucky Spoon - Instrumentation is so silly, in a good way. I can tell you had fun recording this. “Diss-traction” ahaha. What is the instrument - sounds like a horn - that sounds so goofy and fitting?

Mandibles - Refrain is pretty catchy. With your refrain, it feels natural insofar as how it incorporates the title. I like that the song is about driving, the lyrics are solid. Towards the end, I think the guitar is very “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)”. Not a fan of the vocals, I think there's too much vibratto for my tastes. But then, I suspect this is just more chocolate-critique judgement, so take it with a grain of salt. With that said, I think the rhythmic delivery of the lyrics is a bit off throughout the song.

Merisan - I’m a big fan of the story being told. Maybe it’s obvious to some people listening, but I have no idea what it’s about. It's very ambient and compelling in how it's told. And I like the picture it paints. Sounds like a foreboding Wilson Philips.

Nick Soma - The instrumentation buildup is fantastic. Once the singing starts, I get serious Smiths vibes. Never heard the word “Anesthetized” in a song before. Your vocals are bit too soft, and yes this is the pot calling the kettle black. I wish I could hear your voice louder relative to the music.

Rachael Layne - I love the melody. The chorus is catchy and the instrumentation is totally my “vibe”. I think the lyrics are a bit lackluster. Especially given your target, you could hit a lot harder than you do.

Rain Watt - Love the trace of last week’s song in the start. Like last week, I’m hearing serious Front Bottoms influence. Your delivery on “caring is inconvenient” is SO good. I think the production on this song is really solid. Also very much about the message. Your use of “Pump The Brakes” does not disrupt the song – That is, it fits. To be honest, when I first read your lyrics I was worried they were too on the nose - And I think a less convincing vocal delivery wouldn’t handle them correctly. Your voice cracks are excellent and raw. It's a good pop punk track, and you sold the lyrics really well.

The Sunday Colors - I don’t think I incorporate the song title as well as many others here, but I’m overall happy with how it turned out.

Third Cat - The transition out of tSC and into this made me chuckle. The beat is catchy, mixed with the soft guitar in the back. It’s good. I will say, the lyrics and the vocal delivery don’t seem to match? The song is very mellow and the lyrics are pretty aggressive in some places.

Ujn Hunter + Friends - The chorus is well done, as is the use of the song title. Another example of a song that I think incorporates “Pump The Brakes” smoothly.

Vowl Sounds - Absolutely my style of song. One of my favorite voices in the whole competition, and the harmonies are catchy. This is a song I’d listen to outside the competition, it’s so tight. Reminds me a tiny bit of Rilo Kiley, which is my second favorite band of all time. Huge props.

My absolute favorites are Faster Jackalope, Frankie Big Face, Rain Watt, Vowl Sounds.
Last edited by theSundayColors on Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

Thanks Glenn I feel seen now
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

mo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 pm
Thanks Glenn I feel seen now
Happy to oblige!
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Ohne Ruhm-

Lichen Throat- I dig the music a lot. Your voice is great, but searching for the pitch all the time. (I realize I’m quite a pitchy singer too, but I don’t want to be). I wish the chorus had a bit more of a lift. It’s a nice length.

Inflatable Vegetables- I find the drums to be way too quiet. Especially when the bass is at the right level. Vocals are way too loud in the mix. I like the quiet singing for the verses, but I think the chorus needs more force. The response lick on the flange guitar is cool! There was a lot of “Whoah!” in this fight (including BSS)

Immune from winning
Now that Def Leppard is in the Hall of Fame we should rise up and gather round and rock this place to the ground. I’m hoping to change the rule of immune from winning. Who’s with me?

Max Bombast-Puce Brownie Points I’ve continued to listen to for the last 12 years? Wow. I really appreciate you submitting when you don’t have to. The results are awesome as well! You and Ben Folds Five don’t need guitars. I think that’s just bass with effects. Or is it doubled with guitar? Love the riff, love the drums! Vocals are stellar! This would be a contender for the win were you not immune from winning. Great job! Thank you!

The regularly scheduled participants-

Abominominous- It’s almost Sly and the Family Stone- Why Can’t We be Friends? At first. Someone said Mike Patton, which is spot on (one of my favorite vocalists!) This is an excellent groove. Amazing vocal performance. I wish there was more of a hook for the chorus, but I love listening to this. I want to buy this album! Then you almost play Hendrix- 3rd stone from the Sun. Great playing! I want more! You’re killing it!

Agony Sauce- Well there’s no Paco del Stinko with the New Ugly Part 2, but this fits the bill. Why didn’t I go in this direction in either project I’m involved in? Because you’re in the competition. You lived up to my expectations. This is what I expected. It’s awesome! This is super funny! Bravo! The ghost sound from the Hype man during LW& RG cracks me up the most. The hype man part cracks me up throughout the song.

BSS- Lunkhead was out of town. The live trio was Geech, Martin and myself. Initial lyrics by Ken, additional lyrics and tweaking by the live trio. I’m too close to this to be objective. I love the live band feel. I like where the lyrics ended up as well.

BYD- Drums are so mechanical. Cool vocals! Your Mama jokes! Nice approach! Bring up the guitars! There’s lots of funny in here to enjoy.

Faster Jackalope- Man I love working with these guys! Truth is on Popeye vocals and Banjo. I’m on Mandolin, Guitar, Bass, and Glock. Frisbee is on Brutus vocals and Guitar. Lyrics were collaborative. Perhaps I was somewhat inspired by my elbow injury. Doc what is going on? You have Olecranon Bursitis, AKA “Popeye Elbow”. Also I just learned that you can go to Malta and visit Popeye village where the film was made. Many people hate that film, but my wife and I love it. Perhaps we were the exact right age for it in 1980.

Frankie Big Face- I love everything about this song. Great lyrics, great performance. This is still my favorite of the fight. (that I wasn’t involved in). Tasty guitar parts! Catchy chorus! You can write a pop song! Perhaps a minor ding for using the cliché “not the sharpest tool in the shed”, but I guess it sets up the dullest line. It reminds me of Bowie – Outside, like Strangers when we meet or I Have not been to Oxford Town. This is high praise, I love that album. Great song!

Grumpy Mike- When you hit it, it is inedible! However I’m not convinced for the entirety of the song. Were I producing you I’d keep a lot of what’s there, but there are moments I’d have you redo. 2nd verse performance is not as strong as the 1st verse. I love that you’re going for it! Why mellow out for the chorus? Seems like a weird choice. Cool riffs. Excellent mix. Riff reminds me of Rush-Working Man. Pretty cool song.

Lucky Spoon- What Happened? This sounds amazing! Big step up from previous rounds! Great production! I enjoy this a lot. Pronouncing Angry with 3 syllables rather than 2 bugs me. (sorry). This is super catchy! Good job!

Mandibles-
Love the lyrics! Love the guitar playing! The mix is wacky to me. Drums are crazy quiet. Vocals are way too hot. I like the singing! Cool song!

Merisan- Wow! I love this! The constant harmonies evokes CSN. The Rhodes is gorgeous. Erin’s vocals are the best! This does not sound like a pop hit. I don’t think this is a single. However when I get to this song in the album, I say this is a great album! This album goes on my top ten list for the year. Great work! I’m glad I got out of your way in time.

Nick Soma- What is the bass rig? Bass sounds amazing! I wish you gave the vocals in the chorus more oomph. You stay way too cool in the chorus I think. Cool song! I love the hesitation and hits following. Great playing!

Rachel Layne- I like this chorus a lot. Great singing. I assume this is Trump you’re singing about. Killer performances. Wonderful song!

Rain Watt- Are you really only 23? You’re awesome! You can write a song! Excellent lyrics! Excellent performance! I love the emotion of the delivery. This is amazing.

Sunday Colors-
Your voice is wonderful. There’s something very Dylan about this song. Great words, frantic strumming. Reminds me of Richie Havens singing a Dylan song. I’m wishing for more instrumentation. One lyrical thing that irks me (I’m sorry, I’m the son of an English teacher)
Now you think there’s something wrong with me?
Pump the brakes, you’ve got another thing coming
the expression is “ If you think X, then you’ve got another think coming”. The “another thing coming” bugs the shit out of me. I blame Judas Priest.

Third Cat- Cool production. I think the music is too quiet. The drums are in a good place, but there’s some really cool keys and guitars I can barely hear. Vocals sound awesome, but too loud in the mix for my tastes. This might be too mellow? I think the drums should change for the chorus. It might be all too samey. I like the song, I feel bad criticizing.

Ujn & Friends- Strong verse. Weak chorus. I like the pre-chorus when the drums drop out, it’s really effective. Singing is really good. I like the mix, maybe the solo is a little loud?

Vowl Sounds- I love this mix. Drums and bass, guitars and vocals all sound excellent. Great dynamics! Nice use of hand claps. Hand claps usually bug me, but I really like the way you use them here. Nice guitar lines, but I’m missing a solo. This reminds me of a myriad of Pete recommended bands like Architecture in Helsinki and the like. Strong Song! I wish there was more prominent Vom vocals in the chorus, to fill in some low end. Good job!

My favorites are Frankie Big Face, Merisan, and Rain Watt
I also love BSS and Faster Jackalope, but I’m not objective.
Last edited by glennny on Tue May 14, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

glennny wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 am
Why mellow out for the chorus? Seems like a weird choice.
I recorded most of the vox and ended up scratching a day’s worth of guitars and reconceptualizing. My tempo was too slow for the chorus I had written and it was just boring (believe it or not I’m slightly out of my wheelhouse). Had I made the tempo faster for my bad chorus idea, my good verse idea wouldn’t have the same feel. It’s a weird choice, but I like it - less pastiche and more unique. I have to say, I really like the finishing touches I added to it (eg: breaths). Considering my wife had it stuck in her head, the chorus may be the difference between pop and grunge, here. Totally agree with you on wanting some more retakes on a few things - I recorded vocals Friday and let my voice recover Saturday. I opted to keep the takes that were on key versus the takes that had better tone. Tuning distorted vocals is not reliable. Then Sunday is apparently an important holiday of sorts...
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

So happy to have had a Really Good Time with this set of songs after the previous round wound me up for some reason. I think possibly because the way some people interpreted the dynamics challenge didn't wholly work for me, whereas I'm totally on board with pretty much everyone's dissage? But whatever, this was fun.

Abominominous - ooh, a slowie. You're playing with fire dropping the tempo with these judges! But it works for me, I still have some genre bias here but there's a great laid-back groove to this one that I like a whole lot. Laid back does drift into "slightly scrappy" a few times later on and I did wonder if maybe this would be better if it ended a section earlier but if that meant we lost the gorgeous harmonised lead guitar part then that'd be a shame. This one sounds really good driving with the windows open after we finally got some sunshine this week.

Agony Sauce - I guess it was inevitable that somebody would turn their ire on the competition itself, and I'm glad that duty fell to somebody who did a REALLY good job. I think some of your disses are better than others, I guess because some competitors lend themselves to rhyming better than others, but on the whole this is great fun.

Berkeley Social Scene - musically this is one of my favourite BSS songs for a while, the big chords and atmosphere are excellent. Lyrically and vocally I'm not quite as keen, there are some good lines in here (I really like the more complex rhymes in the second verse) but starting off with that greatest / latest rhyme feels a bit lazy. The vocals sound really good in certain places, mostly the more melancholy, restrained sections, but there's some messy layering in other parts that I struggled with.

Boffo Yux Dudes - I like this one more than your previous one but not as much as Message Received, which I am still finding myself humming at regular intervals. I think it works best when you branch out from the Momma jokes a bit, the lines about family etc. feel pretty clever and I think you could maybe have found similarly witty ways to subvert the expectations rather than just reworking old jokes into rhyming sections. But it's a fun take on the challenge.

Faster Jackalope - LOVE this take on the challenge, a Popeye diss track is one of those "that never would have occurred to me but I love it" ideas. The musical execution is good too, I always enjoy Frisbee's vocals and the banjo and mandolin sound great. There are just a couple of bits that bother me, where the melody of certain sections kinda seems to end weakly, like there should be an extra chord change or a different sung note to add some resolution, or something? "Sailor man" is the most obvious part where I notice this. But this is still one of my favourites.

Frankie Big Face - really love this, probably my favourite from this round. I love the way it kinda subverts the challenge by including plenty of disses but delivering them with such affection - it warms my heart! Such a great melody and general vibe. The weird time thing you're doing (dropping a bar the first time through the chorus, I think?) is the only thing I'm not totally sure about, it doesn't detract from the song as such but I'm very AWARE of it each time and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Grumpy Mike - I want to 100% congratulate you on your vocal work here, I did not know you had this kind of delivery in your arsenal! BUT also I have to admit that this particular vocal style is one I don't particularly care for which puts me in an "admire it but don't love it" position on this one. I like that there are a range of vocal styles in here though, and the production is really good and BIG.

Inflatable Vegetables (Ohne Ruhm) - really liking the layered vocals, this has a really strong sound, with interesting lyrics that are occasionally a little clunky ("Dante's Circle Nine") but always full of strong images even if I don’t know what they’re about.

Lichen Throat (Ohne Ruhm) - this sounds more like "classic" style Lichen Throat than your previous couple, but I like that you've got the muted guitars as well as the ones that ring out. The mix is really solid. Vocal timing and tuning is pretty good too, enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Lucky Spoon - HELLO! This is really strange, in a good way. Love a bit of fake vocal brass! Definitely stands out from the pack musically, and the lyrics are clever too. I want to see a full stage production of this, I hope you busted out some moves while recording it.

Mandibles - something feels slightly lacking here for me, I usually admire Mandibles commitment to the performance even if the song isn't my cup of tea but this one sounds like you're all holding back a little. The lyrics are clever, the vocal melody sounds unusually first-drafty in places, although the lyrical subject matter had me wondering if that’s on purpose.

Max Bombast (immune) - kudos for getting a song in despite immunity! This is solid but it does feel like you’ve slightly… what’s the phrase… “decelerated” while you have the opportunity to relax a bit. I think I actually like your voice a bit more on this one than your previous song, the fact that it sounds a little less polished is very appealing to me. I do not like the P-P-P-PUMP THE BRAKES stuff though, because it reminds me of Kid Rock.

Merisan - this is easily the most interesting of the XIV Merisan tracks so far to my ears! I wasn't sure what the lyrical subject is at first but it intrigued me, and having done a bit of research I think I see what you're getting at, and it's a great concept for this round. The melodies and harmonies are great and I really like the dreamy, Spaghetti Western guitar sound.

Nick Soma - I like it when you go for a jangly guitar sound and there's some good examples of that in here. The bit where the distorted guitar squeals into focus is really great, too. The vocals are good but the melody doesn't really stick with me for some reason, same with the lyrics - they look good on paper but don’t get into my head when I’m listening.

Rachael Layne - another song of extremely high quality! I think this might be my favourite of your songs so far, it's very catchy and the chorus has a real kick to it. Great vocal performance again, too.

Rain Watt - the way you blend acoustic and electric guitar sounds is great, I love the general sound of this. Excellent stop-start rhythms in the guitars too. Lyrics are mostly very good again, although "I don't think that is fine" struck me as slightly clunky wording? The sentiment hits home though, you’ve found another good target for your anger though and this is a great companion piece to last week's song.

The Sunday Colors - really fantastic lyrics again, such good storytelling and such an inventive take on the challenge. I love the amount of personal detail you're getting into these words and the heartfelt performance definitely got through to me on an emotional level. I think this could be even better with some harmonies and layers but you’re sweeping my bias against voice / guitar recordings away more with each round.

Third Cat - is this the most lyrics that a Third Cat song has ever had? That's not a complaint (they're really good!) just an observation. This is pretty great, and I love the different vocal sounds and FX you're using. The bit where "I'm not racist, but..." tails off into delayed ellipses is totally inspired. Something about the last couple of lines doesn’t quite work for me, maybe it’s too neat a conclusion for a complex subject? But I liked this a lot.

Ujn Hunter + Friends - solidly enjoyable but the attention to detail I've come to expect from your tracks seems to be lacking, the guitar and drums feel like they drift out of time a little in the second verse / chorus and after the cool drum-free pre-chorus I feel like the chorus needs a bigger lift.

Vowl Sounds - us! Another one that took a lot of work, there were mixes of this song that were a minute shorter and longer than the actual length it ended up being! It was worth the effort though, I think this came out sounding great.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

vowlvom wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:49 am
Frankie Big Face - really love this, probably my favourite from this round. I love the way it kinda subverts the challenge by including plenty of disses but delivering them with such affection - it warms my heart! Such a great melody and general vibe. The weird time thing you're doing (dropping a bar the first time through the chorus, I think?) is the only thing I'm not totally sure about, it doesn't detract from the song as such but I'm very AWARE of it each time and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
I appreciate this feedback. I'm a big fan of metric efficiency. If I see an opportunity to trim two beats, I often do it. There is only one time in this piece where it bothers me and that's on the last chorus so maybe I'll put them back later on. I add two beats in the verses to accommodate the lyric, which is something I learned from John Lennon (check out the mysterious 5/4 bar that ends the first verse of Across the Universe!). But it shouldn't be a detractor so that's good feedback. Thanks for the review!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

glennny wrote:
Frankie Big Face- I love everything about this song. Great lyrics, great performance. This is still my favorite of the fight. (that I wasn’t involved in). Tasty guitar parts! Catchy chorus! You can write a pop song! Perhaps a minor ding for using the cliché “not the sharpest tool in the shed”, but I guess it sets up the dullest line. It reminds me of Bowie – Outside, like Strangers when we meet or I Have not been to Oxford Town. This is high praise, I love that album. Great song!
Thank you Glenn! I hadn't touched a guitar for like, I don't know, four years it seems. And now I think I'm Neal Schon. The "sharpest tool" line sets up my greatest diss. It's a double insult because I say "AND" you are the dullest instead of "BUT." I was feeling pretty clever about that. I haven't listened to those Bowie albums for 20 years - I will go back and check them out! Thanks again for the review.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

theSundayColors wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 pm
Frankie Big Face - The tune is so good, and the voice is just the right timbre. The lyrics feel genuine, it’s not just thrown together - There’s a story being told. “And you are the dullest…” letting that line hang, cutting off short, it's clever. I’m all about it. Sounds like Arcade Fire in the best way.
Thank you. I'm feeling good about my song this week and your positive review helps fortify that feeling! :D
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

glennny wrote:
Sunday Colors-
Your voice is wonderful. There’s something very Dylan about this song. Great words, frantic strumming. Reminds me of Richie Havens singing a Dylan song. I’m wishing for more instrumentation. One lyrical thing that irks me (I’m sorry, I’m the son of an English teacher)
the expression is “ If you think X, then you’ve got another think coming”. The “another thing coming” bugs the shit out of me. I blame Judas Priest.
glennny, this comment is not even about our song and this comment has TOTALLY RUINED MY DAY! I'm a linguistics professional and the daughter of an English professor and I had no idea that "another think coming" even existed (probably due to my deep devotion to Judas Priest that I'm sure shines through in all my music) and then I went and looked this up and discovered to my horror that you're right and "another think coming" was indeed the original version of this saying. I feel completely discombobulated. (At least 90% of the people taking this survey agreed with me and TheSundayColors, though.)

(Confession: I will probably keep saying "thing"-- "think" feels ungrammatical to me, no matter what anyone says.)
Pop Machine
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Vox, keys, cash register
Recording Method: PreSonus Studio, Audacity, TASCAM 24-channel A/D
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes, Pop Machine
Pronouns: he/that asshole

Post by Pop Machine »

owl wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 pm
glennny wrote:
Sunday Colors-
glennny, this comment is not even about our song and this comment has TOTALLY RUINED MY DAY! I'm a linguistics professional and the daughter of an English professor and I had no idea that "another think coming" even existed (probably due to my deep devotion to Judas Priest that I'm sure shines through in all my music) and then I went and looked this up and discovered to my horror that you're right and "another think coming" was indeed the original version of this saying. I feel completely discombobulated. (At least 90% of the people taking this survey agreed with me and TheSundayColors, though.)

(Confession: I will probably keep saying "thing"-- "think" feels ungrammatical to me, no matter what anyone says.)
Owl, not to pile on your observation here, but thank you, Glenny, for bringing that to light! I'm not kidding, that think/thing...er, thing has bothered me for DECADES (ever since the JP song, truth be told)! I mean, come on, if the first part of the saying is "If you think X..." why the f*** would the SECOND part reference"THING"? It makes a lot less sense and loses whatever cleverness and cohesion the statement has if you say it this way.

Anyway, enough old guy ranting. Language is malleable, so it's not something I should get hung up on; I'm just glad that after all those years of society trying to gaslight me, I am proven right!! (Fanfare plays in background.) And now, back to my researching my theory that the Earth is neither round nor flat, but shaped like a 1960 Nash Rambler.
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

add me to the list who had never heard of another *think* coming. interesting ! to me that sounds really odd having always heard it as "another thing"
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

I've heard that "another think coming" thing before and it does make logical sense but I can't fully get behind it until ALL you Americans agree to drop "I could care less" in favour of the vastly more sensible British "I couldn't care less". We can make a change, people!
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I find it slightly amusing that a British band wrote "thing" instead of "think" as the lyrics... I'll always say "thing" as using "think" as a noun sounds silly to me. Oh well.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Pop Machine
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Pop Machine »

vowlvom wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm
I've heard that "another think coming" thing before and it does make logical sense but I can't fully get behind it until ALL you Americans agree to drop "I could care less" in favour of the vastly more sensible British "I couldn't care less". We can make a change, people!
I'm down with that, you're absolutely right that we in the colonies have that one completely bass-ackwards: it should indeed be "COULDN'T care less". I'm doing everything I can over here, people!

But, to be fair, Brits need to drop the "u" in "favour" and other "-or" words. It's silly and is using up the supplies of the NATO Strategic "u" Reserve for no good reason. Maybe we can work out an exchange...
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Pop Machine wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:01 pm
Owl, not to pile on your observation here, but thank you, Glenny, for bringing that to light! I'm not kidding, that think/thing...er, thing has bothered me for DECADES (ever since the JP song, truth be told)! I mean, come on, if the first part of the saying is "If you think X..." why the f*** would the SECOND part reference"THING"? It makes a lot less sense and loses whatever cleverness and cohesion the statement has if you say it this way.
but I feel like "another think" (the slight weirdness of using "think" as a noun aside...I have some serious asks) kind of implies that the person will rethink their position, while "another thing" implies that they may go on thinking whatever they please while Another Thing Comes Their Way (ooh ominous!)

i.e.
"Huh, something seems wrong, I guess they were right and maybe we should have thought about having enough lifeboats" (another think)

versus declaring

"Inconceivable! This ship is unsinkable!" even while sinking into the depths of the North Atlantic (another thing. THE COLD EMBRACE OF DEATH is the thing. the think has not changed.)

Also! I am American and I say "I couldn't care less."

Don't get me started on British people and their crazy frowns.
Pop Machine
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Pop Machine »

owl wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:25 pm
Pop Machine wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:01 pm
but I feel like "another think" (the slight weirdness of using "think" as a noun aside...I have some serious asks) kind of implies that the person will rethink their position, while "another thing" implies that they may go on thinking whatever they please while Another Thing Comes Their Way (ooh ominous!)

i.e.
"Huh, something seems wrong, I guess they were right and maybe we should have thought about having enough lifeboats" (another think)

versus declaring

"Inconceivable! This ship is unsinkable!" even while sinking into the depths of the North Atlantic (another thing. THE COLD EMBRACE OF DEATH is the thing. the think has not changed.)

Also! I am American and I say "I couldn't care less."

Don't get me started on British people and their crazy frowns.
I see your point, but much of my issue hinges on the word "another": if we use "think" here, it makes sense. The first part of the sentence contains the first "think" (and I have no problem using the word "think" here as a noun, it seems like an intentional linguistic affectation, a kind of playful knowing wink to the audience, if you will), and so "another think" makes sense. But "thing"? Where's the first "thing"? Why are we introducing ANOTHER "thing", when we haven't met the first one? I don't like walking in halfway through the movie.

Also, I don't believe the phrase implies the recipient will voluntarily change their mind so much as there's a mild implied threat that the speaker will MAKE them do so (which lines up with the usage of the phrase, which normally occurs when there is at least a feeling of mild exasperation on the part of the user). To wit, the speaker will deliver another "think" to the recipient, because they sure as sausage bungled the one they just finished with.

But I'm probably belabo(u)ring my point. I should let it go; in effect, I COULD care less about this subject...
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Nobody gets away with "I could care less" around me, without me making fun of them.

Also, you won't get away with " .....the reason is because...."
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
theSundayColors
A New Player
Submitting as: the Sunday Colors

Post by theSundayColors »

glennny wrote:

Sunday Colors-
Had no idea! I'll put this with "I could care less" and "for all intensive purposes" for my list of incorrect English phrases that have become ubiquitous. I am disappointed with own lyric.

Apologies all for inadvertently hijacking the thread.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

Woooo-hooooo! Thanks for a great round everybody! (pls hear that in Dr. Nick voice)

Today we are Ecstasy Sauce, for all intents and porpoises. Not like you could care less
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Congrats Agony Sauce! You brought the disses and won our hearts.

Stunned by the eliminations this round but as per my reviews I thought pretty much everything was great this week so that may have been the case regardless of who ended up at the bottom of the list!
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

This marks the first time I have ever been granted immunity in a Nur Ein! Seriously cool! Thank you, judges, and thank you to everyone for having a good sense of humor about the entry.

Being so close to a perfect score made me wonder if anyone has ever received a perfect score from all the judges in a Nur Ein.

Yes, it has happened THREE times.

In order of appearance:

Nur Ein II - Merisan - The Thing Most Easily Forgotten
Nur Ein VII - bgm - Breaking the Ice
Nur Ein IX - Nick Soma - The New Ugly

Here is an image of a spreadsheet I created that shows the 28 times an artist has received 1st place from three or more judges. I have sorted them by how many points away from a perfect score they are, followed by highest total of possible points.
NurEin-Stats-2019.jpg
NurEin-Stats-2019.jpg (295.2 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
NOTE- The entries in yellow are the two instances where someone got 1st place from three or more judges, and they STILL DIDN'T WIN!