Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XIV Round Three "Color Me _____"

Post by vowlvom »

Spintown wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:26 pm
Vowl Sounds
This song is like that 1 friend everyone has, that you really like, but he never knows when it’s time to go home.
Haha. I'm weirdly pleased with this criticism.

Also (not related to these reviews) I just woke up this morning with the BSS song looping in my head.
bennyharv3
A New Player
Submitting as: bennyharv3

Post by bennyharv3 »

New Ugly review of round 3 went up last night! http://podcast.songlander.com/?name=201 ... in14-3.mp3
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

Lunkhead wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:28 pm
For example, your Grumpy Mike review is relatively lukewarm
“I’ll have to see how much I enjoy this after repeated listens”

Seems written as an initial impression. Maybe he’s the only judge person in the world who gave it a second chance.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Sam, stop trying to apply logic to the judging. Have you learned nothing in your 150 years of competing in Nur Ein!?!?
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

grumpymike wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 am
Lunkhead wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:28 pm
For example, your Grumpy Mike review is relatively lukewarm
“I’ll have to see how much I enjoy this after repeated listens”

Seems written as an initial impression. Maybe he’s the only judge person in the world who gave it a second chance.
It was my first impression, and it grew on me as I did my rankings. It's still not my cup of tea in terms of pace, but it's quality work. And if I mention it might be a keeper that's high praise because I normally only keep 0-2 songs from each round. But that song needed completely reworked in terms of lyrics.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

This is how I've most often heard Amazing Grace, so I found the Max Bombast usage to be really cool and tame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhCXOMJ2MeY
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"

Post by vowlvom »

bennyharv3 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:30 am
New Ugly review of round 3 went up last night! http://podcast.songlander.com/?name=201 ... in14-3.mp3
Fun listen as usual - my apologies for angering you both by having a spare 45 minutes to send in a shadow song, thus undermining the integrity of the competition! I used the downtime that I have acquired by not recording a weekly podcast ;)
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Another self-indulgent Nur Ein podcast is available for your listening .... I'm going to go with pleasure. Tell me about the rabbits, George: feedback@twojerksonevote.com.

INDEX: Color me tired.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

I'm seeing double! Four podcasts!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

frankie big face wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:40 am
Sam, stop trying to apply logic to the judging. Have you learned nothing in your 150 years of competing in Nur Ein!?!?
Nothing, frank. I have clearly learned nothing. :( :( :(
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Chumpy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:30 am
[*]00:15:43 - Frankie Big Face
Hey you guys. I appreciated all of your comments about my song, good and bad. They make sense and the criticism is reasonable. I do feel like maybe I've heard the complaint before that you're not sure exactly what the lyrics mean or what the song is about. As someone who has been traditionally quite literal in his lyrics, I've been trying to move away from that. I'm finding the lyrics I am really enjoying these days (Jeff Tweedy comes to mind) aren't always clear but express enough sentiment that a feeling is suggested while the meaning is obscured. Does that make sense? Again, I have no problem with the criticism, but since I'm trying to move away from literal writing, it's probably not going to get better.

Also, could you introduce yourselves at the beginning to I know who the low voice is and who the high voice is?
ariskofrain
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: rain
Pronouns: they/them

Post by ariskofrain »

can i just defend myself: the "i missed out" is a sample, i did copy it straight across, pitch shifted two copies to form the harmony, promise!!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

ariskofrain wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 am
can i just defend myself: the "i missed out" is a sample, i did copy it straight across, pitch shifted two copies to form the harmony, promise!!
Uh, you won. What are you defending exactly? :D

But since you brought it up, I listened to the song you "sampled" (which is great, btw) and it was definitely hard to hear how that was a "sample." I personally did not care because my primary hope is that people will make awesome songs and yours was superb. But I would not have been surprised if these challenge-obsessed judges had punished you.
Last edited by frankie big face on Thu May 23, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

frankie big face wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am
I do feel like maybe I've heard the complaint before that you're not sure exactly what the lyrics mean or what the song is about. As someone who has been traditionally quite literal in his lyrics, I've been trying to move away from that. I'm finding the lyrics I am really enjoying these days (Jeff Tweedy comes to mind) aren't always clear but express enough sentiment that a feeling is suggested while the meaning is obscured. Does that make sense? Again, I have no problem with the criticism, but since I'm trying to move away from literal writing, it's probably not going to get better.

Also, could you introduce yourselves at the beginning to I know who the low voice is and who the high voice is?
It makes sense. I don't think it's necessary to write a literal song for me to enjoy it -- it can paint a picture or evoke a feeling and I'm just as happy. I often get hung up trying to figure out what the songs are about when I don't otherwise have a lot to say about it, not because I think it's important for songs to clearly be about something or mean something.

I'm the high voice, the one who found your high-hat annoying.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Chumpy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:30 am
[*]00:52:56 - Vowl Sounds
I admit so far I have only skipped forward to listen to our bit so far, will listen to the rest soon... but I am DEEPLY disappointed that this link doesn't seem to be working so I can't listen to your rendition of "Enjoy the Silence." You should fix it! We want Depeche Mode!

Anyway, thank you to you and Ryan for the kind words and thoughtful feedback, and don't think I haven't thought a lot about this concept album-in-progress not passing the Bechdel Test. I decided it was just an unavoidable occupational hazard of having chosen to write about a hetero love triangle. (Oh and "Shock Value" exists in the Ouijaverse too, by the way, it's just not overt.)
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

ariskofrain wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 am
Glad to hear it! Also, color me impressed with how good your tuning software sounds, is it Melodyne? Every time we do this there are pretty obvious artifacts, probably because we're using flex-pitch, our out-of-the-box DAW tuner.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

bennyharv3 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:30 am
I listened to this (finally). I enjoy your banter.

I will talk to my drummer about changing up his timbre and style. Sometimes he's like a computer, that guy.

Just FTR, I didn't do anything to the Bill Withers sample. I didn't stretch it or manipulate it in any way other than chopping it up a bit to fit the tempo track. The problem is that it came with snare hits included and that made things more complicated than I had hoped for or expected. Incidentally, I also used a live recording I found on YouTube because the studio version has all kinds of stuff going on behind him (strings and shit, I believe). I had the sample lower in the mix, but I kept moving it - thought I had it right but maybe it is a bit too loud. It became annoying after a while and I finally had to just stop. I mixed and mastered this thing more than I usually do. It was a pain in the ass for low reward. I don't really like the song that much.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Now that the round is over, I can reveal that our sample of Neko Case singing "The shadow" is actually a mondegreen. Too late after I'd set down the path of using that sample did I realize the words "the shadow" made no sense in the context of the original line she was singing. So I looked up the lyrics for the song it's from and she's actually singing "the shuttle"! But I was hoping that through the power of suggestion and her loose pronunciation that we could pass it off as "the shadow". I'm curious if anybody noticed anything amiss there?
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Totally fooled me! Thank you for revealing this secret, I love stuff like that.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Mandibles [shadow] starts at 1:03:08 in the TwoJerks podcast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test

My vocal sample hooks can both be heard in the intros/ outro: The "choppy vocal lead 01" is panned slightly left and is used as my main riff, other "mysterious funk vox synth 02" is buried but panned slightly right. I had to pitch them both down 1 semitone to fit my song. If they aren't really vocal samples, I feel embarrassed.

Thanks podcast people for your kind comments.

My first day of first grade at a new school, I bent a crayon in half. Some of the kids around me noticed, and I ended up bending like 8 crayons and broke one. That is the only day in my life that I have ever tried to bend a crayon. It's funny that one act of nervous boredom gave me my best friend for the next four years.
facebook.com/ivegband
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:05 pm
Now that the round is over, I can reveal that our sample of Neko Case singing "The shadow" is actually a mondegreen. Too late after I'd set down the path of using that sample did I realize the words "the shadow" made no sense in the context of the original line she was singing. So I looked up the lyrics for the song it's from and she's actually singing "the shuttle"! But I was hoping that through the power of suggestion and her loose pronunciation that we could pass it off as "the shadow". I'm curious if anybody noticed anything amiss there?
I was wondering if anyone would do something like this, like using Bruce Springsteen singing "Cover Me" as "Color Me".
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

iVeg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:04 pm
Mandibles [shadow] starts at 1:03:08 in the TwoJerks podcast.
Thanks for tying us in!

And thanks for the reviews, guys. I’m so glad y’all liked it! And to answer your question, the only thing that got me through the political hell that was last week was shot gunning episodes of bob Ross to mine for interesting quotes and phrases. (:
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro