vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XIV Round Six "You Too"

Post by vowlvom »

The Vegan Wigs were actually our main political party in the 18th Century, if I'm remembering correctly.
owl wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:59 pm
Also: "in the old days people took hair off of human corpses to make these wigs" :shock:
Hehe yeah, the 90s were a crazy time.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

vowlvom wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:30 pm
The Vegan Wigs were actually our main political party in the 18th Century, if I'm remembering correctly.
owl wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:59 pm
Also: "in the old days people took hair off of human corpses to make these wigs" :shock:
Hehe yeah, the 90s were a crazy time.
Yeah, the worst part is how every judge's wig looked like this:

Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Finally got around to finishing my reviews! Enjoy.

Nur ein xiv 6

Agony: I really like the tempo change ups in this song. They probably have something to do with the songs that you used for source material, but I don’t think I’ve ever listened to wonderwall, so I’m judging this song based purely on its own merit. To that end, it is a bit all over the place but I know lots of rock song with too much going on, so what? The message received call back was fun, and I also appreciated the use of the “who who”s. This song is pretty good, not my favorite in the round, but I enjoyed it, and seem to have actually memorized some of the words already because at this point in the week I’m singing along.

Max: Ah, a good old fashioned political song! I would quip that I don’t think boomers are this self aware, but I’ve literally had this conversation with my mother, where she basically said ‘sorry we fucked it up hope it doesn’t go to shit when we’re gone’ so I guess it is pretty believable. I like the riff a lot and I’m always dancing to this song.

Rachael: this song is so lovely, and I really enjoyed it, but it has two marks against it: 1. it got blackbird stuck in my head all week, not your You too. I think using the exact instrumental line is a step beyond contrafact? But I can’t say for sure because I had never heard the word before last week. 2. That false end is really off the false final chord isntoo long, and the blank space is too long. Cut both in half and it would have been much more effective. In any case, it’s a lovely arrangement, especially that second guitar at the bridge, and the start back up at the end.

Rain Watt: Rain watt in the style of Sunday Colors is what my imprecise ear heard from this, same color and vulnerability to the tone. This was stuck in my head on and off all week, which was and wasn’t pleasant and different times. It’s a cute song about I assumed polyamory, though I have to say I really like the podcast interpretation that this was about the various aspects of yourself. Love the backing vocals. The raw quality of this song is what makes it for me. I can’t hear this is your regular style; it’s really lovely just the way it is.

Vowl sounds: This is great. What more can I say that hasn’t been said? I did catch the mirror throw back to the previous song, and it had me wondering- who is she seeing in the mirror: herself, or Ouija girl? I don’t get why the ghost is whispering You Too other than its the title, but I’m sure all will be revealed. I don’t think I would have picked out Eleanor Rigby one my own, but as soon as I read it, it seemed obvious. This is a really beautiful depiction of marital discontent. Beautiful (creepy) song.

Iveg: I am convinced this song in about a person and their cat, especially the bridge. This is one of my favorite songs of yours. I would agree with the podcasters, that I think you should put more oomph in your voice, particularly on the nananas. Maybe if you had double tracked the vocals on the chorus it would give it that feeling. (Listening I hear you do that a bit before the bridge. Maybe I’m wrong). It was stuck in my head all last week. Good song! I like the transitions between types of instrumentals. False ending didn’t bother me as much as did Rachael laynes, I think probably because it wasn’t so long.

Glennny: first, my phone has started correcting glenny to glennny, so good on you. Def recognizable chord Progressions. I don’t know any U2 songs, so all the references went over my head. You’re a great singer! I really like the tone you have on this one, though at times it sounds just a little squeezed. No surprise that the guitar is excellent. I think the intro is a bit too long. Cut it in half.

Lichen: this is pretty creepy. I think you captured the character pretty will, and I say that as someone who hasn’t read the book (yet), and I say it because I feel like I have a really good picture of who this is. It is like a creepier version of taxman by the Beatles. The instrumental break is really well orchestrated. Your singing is really coming along! Rhythms are good, and the speak-sing melody is good too.

Mandibles: this seemed to me like the only reasonable way to interpret the title, so I’m surprised we’re the only ones who went this way. This song was really fun to write cause it’s just silly and we took the easy way out and did the power ballad old faithful Progression (Sorry to the haters, but even if don’t stop believin is over done, Journey is great ;) ). By the way, the instrumentals are a direct result of my computer deciding it didn’t want to recognize my keyboard as an instrument, so all we had to work with was the bass line and block chords we put in iOS GarageBand to guide the vocal takes. Thank goodness for arpeggiators.
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Edit on the Vowl Sounds song review: I totally thought that song was from the POV of the wife (a flash back). Totally didn't get that it was from Ouija Girl's POV. Makes much sense now
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Thanks, Cybronica! We don't *officially* have a cat, but my wife kidnaps (catnaps?) the neighbor's cat.
facebook.com/ivegband