owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Nur Ein XIV, Final Round: Survival

Post by owl »

• iVeg, it seems fun to live inside your head (figuratively). I've always wanted to jump out of a bloody torso. Once I saw a Star Wars-themed burlesque where one of the dancers emerged from a tauntaun and did an entrails-covered striptease and it was truly inspirational
  • This seems like a good time to add COME TO SONG FIGHT LIVE IN BEAUTIFUL MADISON, WISCONSIN, AUGUST 2-3. I am working on a chainsaw for the backline
  • Rainbow Connection IS one of the best songs of all time. Fight me.
  • That was a great final Jerkatorium Nur Ein podcast! Listening to it has been one of the highlights for me, so thanks again for all the hard work you guys have been doing to keep us suitably judged/commented on/entertained. I'm sad but totally but not surprised you are tired of doing it. Also I will volunteer to be a guest on the Songfight podcast whenever you need one, because I enjoy listening to those too, and I think you should do them for all the fights.
  • Listening to the podcast reminded me that I accidentally missed The Kraken Lives and iVeg shadows earlier since they were not on the main page, and then I forgot to go back and check them out. I will have to go back and listen to them now.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Love It! I can see that all happening while professing our love for the Zamboni driver!
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

I would totally guest on podcasts, but I understand if you prefer Owl. Or Vom. Or Glenn. Or glennnnnnnnnnny. Or basically anyone else
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Owl, I imagine living inside my head would be rather cramped and uncomfortable. I once heard someone explain that mens brains are like waffles. They're compartmentalized into all these little squares. Each square may contain a bunch of semi-related things. Many of them are completely empty. Squares don't talk to other squares. They certainly don't ask for directions.

While the VH New Ugly sketch was intentionally full of terrible jokes, there was one part I especially liked. Mike's shirt is pulsing. Ben yells, "Is there anything in there?" to Mike's chest. A voice answers "Yessssss". A nod to the Ouija-verse :)
The Tauntaun burlesque just proves how much weirder real life can be.

The Rigby looks like a great place. Enjoy SongFight Live! Thanks for hosting it. I look forward to watching the video footage.

One of the early ideas for the 2 Jerks sketch had me complaining about the Seattle cold, and poking my head into the Madison page to borrow some knitwear from you. You've got some amazing stuff.

Tommy, I wanted to find a way to thank you for the listening parties. Even though I missed most of them this year. Knowing that Vom really liked your song... It was a great opportunity for the cameos.
facebook.com/ivegband
iVeg
Mean Street

Post by iVeg »

Custom Muppet version of yourself = $300 - 450 and up. This was the site I looked at for design ideas.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/681819528/ ... ting_top-1
facebook.com/ivegband
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

If the semi-related things are butter and syrup, that sounds pretty OK. Or muppet extravaganzas.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Thanks for the podcast, guys!

Iveg, I’m sorry, until the podcast, I thought your song was actually just the rock roll! I’ll get you a real review in the near future. Same for the Kraken lives! I don’t know how I missed it!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

owl wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm
Also I will volunteer to be a guest on the Songfight podcast whenever you need one, because I enjoy listening to those too, and I think you should do them for all the fights.
I second this. We could even both guest at the same time for a Two Vowls, One Sound extravaganza maybe, if that's not a logistical nightmare of timezones to orchestrate.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

Can you do it only in Muppet voices?
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

dibs on Beaker
iVeg
Mean Street

Post by iVeg »

Muppet voices are easy. The fun part is doing EACH OTHER as Muppet voices. That's where the skill comes in. :)

Cybronica - The Kraken Lives and I submitted LATE. It was easy to miss our shadows.
facebook.com/ivegband
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Supplemental Reviews:

Iveg: This is charming! I don't hate the vocal effects, but I think the issue is that the instrumentals stay the same in both sections. If the orchestration had shifted at least a little so as the timbre of the instruments matched the vocals, it would have worked better, I think. I really like your chorus vocals, especially the choral chorus at the end. Mixing the different vocal sounds at the bridge is great. I think the delivery of the lyrics could have been better (POlice, and there seems to be a dropping out in the vocal line in the first verse). The music is very cutesy (something in the music reminds me of the song that never ends), which is a nice juxtaposition with the lyrical content. "They say to get in touch with nature /Well I don’t like the way nature’s touching me." This is brilliant; I think the bridge is my favorite part of this song. This is a fun song, and I could see it being done in some version by a group like They Might Be Giants, but I think it's not your best (I'm still raving about your no memory!).

The Kraken Lives: I really like this opening! Your guitar work is excellent as always. The use of your kid as the radio is a really neat trick, and I like how the two different narratives are intertwined with the couplets. The solo is lovely. Is that just double tracked guitar? It's a cool effect! My total lack of baseball knowledge makes this difficult to understand on a lyrical level, but I feel like I get it a little better than I would have because of the podcast (thanks for explaining it guys!).

I also finally listened to Canine Surprise by vowl sounds: This is brilliant and hilarious, well sung. Good stuff, and you already know I loved those instrumentals. :)
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

It is done. Apologies for the delay. http://podcast.songlander.com/?name=201 ... odcast.mp3

The jump times are roughly along these lines but I ended up with a couple edits throwing them off. You should just listen to the whole thing. :)
Agony Sauce ~4:00
Vowl Sounds ~10:30
Final Round Wrap-Up: ~18:15
Inflatable V: ~21:20
Kraken Lives: ~24:20
Lichen: ~28:30
Mandibles: ~31:30
THE MAX BOMBAST SHOW: 36:15
ranking: 51:41
iVeg
Mean Street

Post by iVeg »

Thanks for the podcast, guys. Have a good time in Italy, Ben!
facebook.com/ivegband