grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Six "Homestretch"

Post by grumpymike »

http://podcast.songlander.com/?name=202 ... tretch.mp3

The editing gets sloppier and the episodes take longer...
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

This was great, guys! Thanks for another entertaining episode.

Re: the Balance Lost song; you are absolutely right, I should have been in the final :D . But the guest singer is Melvin, who was a regular from about 2005-2008 and a member of the Worldy Self-Assurance. I also prefer his voice to mine which was why I recruited him. I have started doing singing exercises to try and improve my pitch, as my crappy vocals are a constant thorn in my side and the side of my listeners. But thanks for the kind comments and I'm happy you enjoyed our tune!
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: B-b-b-b-bass
Recording Method: Alesis io|26, Reaper, Rode NT, Pixies
Submitting as: Lucky Spoon, Rabbit vs Table

Post by Lucky Spoon »

furrypedro wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:43 am
This was great, guys! Thanks for another entertaining episode.

Re: the Balance Lost song; you are absolutely right, I should have been in the final :D . But the guest singer is Melvin, who was a regular from about 2005-2008 and a member of the Worldy Self-Assurance. I also prefer his voice to mine which was why I recruited him. I have started doing singing exercises to try and improve my pitch, as my crappy vocals are a constant thorn in my side and the side of my listeners. But thanks for the kind comments and I'm happy you enjoyed our tune!
Melvin's A Scary Thing is still one of my favorite songfight songs ever.
Apollo14... Keeping mooses safe since 1992. Full album here

Sneaky Bear Music Video - He's just a #SneakyBear
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Thanks for the podcast Mike and Ben!

Small insight into the Hot Pink Halo processes. I don't necessarily see my stuff as particularly experimental, personally, but I guess it is in comparison to how a lot of people work. It's not necessarily a choice, but something just hard wired in after five years of art school. Creative thinking in general was hammered home pretty hard, and even though I'm a visual artist primarily, I also took two years of Hybrid Media/Experimental Animation and a year of Advanced Random Media Stuff. We had audio and visual people in that class, and I remember one critique session one of the sound guys made us all close our eyes and played tonal music from an algorithm he'd written that randomised the pitch, velocity, etc. from a bounded set of rules, and one of the thoughts I had was "can I die from sounds? is this how I die?" It was kind of transformative.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Finally got around to listening to this episode, that was fun, thanks for sharing your hot takes as always, both of you!

If you have any suggestions for how exactly to fix the guitars that sound underwater or pointy depending on which headphones you're on, I'll gladly take them. As I mentioned, I didn't leave myself much time to work on this, but I also don't actually technically know how to approach fixing that particular problem, even if I spend more time on it.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

After a thousand years I have been cryogenically unfrozen to bring you my final set of liner notes:
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove

Post by grumpymike »

owl wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 pm
If you have any suggestions for how exactly to fix the guitars that sound underwater or pointy depending on which headphones you're on, I'll gladly take them.
In retrospect, my first listen was probably on my laptop. The headphones I use to mix are yet a different data point - guitar's less pointy, but it's still a little weird. (Your aux instruments are mixed pretty loud, btw)

Probably the flanger isn't doing you any favors. Put an EQ on that rolls off < 200hz. Then make a round lump at 2khz and see what that does (rolling downward on both sides). Probably. If you aren't comfortable with a parametric EQ, I recommend doing EQ sweeps to identify things. "this frequency makes this instrument sound more like how it should sound" Never do anything too drastic for actual music... stick to subtracting, don't add gain.

Another note- Maybe put a bit of verb or delay on the guitar to give it more sustain and stereo feel. Everyone has their own idea of how distorted guitar should sound, so, take that with a pinch of salt.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Thanks for your input, Mike, I will play around with it further if I have time!
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove

Post by grumpymike »

Adam! wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 pm
After a thousand years I have been cryogenically unfrozen to bring you my final set of liner notes:
Thanks for doing all these, Adam! I know we're a small audience and I really appreciate the effort that goes into sharing with us. It's been hecka interesting seeing the wizard behind the curtain. I had many hearty laughs, too. I wonder... are you going to keep doing it regularly outside of Nur Ein?
owl wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:07 pm
Thanks for your input, Mike, I will play around with it further if I have time!
It's not a problem. I'm happy to provide input to anyone if they want to send mixes my way. Right now I'm re-constructing Mandibles' song and documenting it. Maybe at a future date I'll reveal a shiny new rendering to Abigail during a podcast? Seems like people might be interested in that.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

grumpymike wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Right now I'm re-constructing Mandibles' song and documenting it. Maybe at a future date I'll reveal a shiny new rendering to Abigail during a podcast? Seems like people might be interested in that.
Im totally in!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

grumpymike wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Thanks for doing all these, Adam! I know we're a small audience and I really appreciate the effort that goes into sharing with us. It's been hecka interesting seeing the wizard behind the curtain. I had many hearty laughs, too. I wonder... are you going to keep doing it regularly outside of Nur Ein?
Apparently!