Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: B-b-b-b-bass
Recording Method: Alesis io|26, Reaper, Rode NT, Pixies
Submitting as: Lucky Spoon, Rabbit vs Table

Re: Nur Ein XVI: Round Zero "Semiprecious"

Post by Lucky Spoon »

Song notes here:

Last edited by Lucky Spoon on Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo14... Keeping mooses safe since 1992. Full album here

Sneaky Bear Music Video - He's just a #SneakyBear
heid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Heid
Pronouns: He/she/they/it

Post by heid »

I'm new to how this works, but I'm in!

Mine is a song about the way childhood memories can be ordinary but also significant (semiprecious, one might say) and the strange feeling of drifting away from what used to be important to you as you get older. Had a lot of fun making it and I'm excited to see how everyone interpreted the challenge/title!
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lucky Spoon »

This was my first thought about gradual emphasis on repetitions

Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lucky Spoon »

heid wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 pm
I'm new to how this works, but I'm in!

Mine is a song about the way childhood memories can be ordinary but also significant (semiprecious, one might say) and the strange feeling of drifting away from what used to be important to you as you get older. Had a lot of fun making it and I'm excited to see how everyone interpreted the challenge/title!
Howdy Heid!

You can post your lyrics on this thread here... that's two forums away:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12103

Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

At the risk of overhyping it, this may be one of the best mandibles songs yet. I (and the band) am super happy with it. Gradual repetition comes mainly in the form of form - post chorus riff happens once, later twice, later four times, chorus is repeated more each time, and them also in the gradually increased repetition of lyrics. Hope y'all like it as much as we do - Psyched to hear everyone's tomorrow!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I guess I'm in, sorry in advance to everyone listening for the extremely chaotic mix, especially the incredibly loud whalesong. I ran out of time as I was finishing this up and had to submit before I could really finish recording and mixing. I had a whole other idea that I threw away, some family visiting so no time to really work on this until today, and then spent my limited time today as follows:
  • 50% being forced to install Windows updates
  • 49% recording and discarding different layers
  • 1% swearing and moving the volume sliders around in a desperate last-minute panic
song notes: I've been dealing for a while with a difficult situation with a close family member on the other side of the country with a rare and invariably fatal form of dementia, and got some bad news about her prognosis yesterday--the family is currently discussing whether she actually needs to know how much time she has left. I don't have an appointment with my therapist for another three weeks, so I'm processing my feelings about that and my guilt about not spending more time in touch with her, effectively squandering not only the good, precious, lucid days we could have had but even the so-so, confused and frightened, semiprecious ones. The repetition is supposed to evoke those recurring intrusive thoughts building on themselves--I added more layers each time "semiprecious" comes back in in the last chorus to help it build.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

I made a song. Songs have repeating elements. I made sure to gradually emphasize some of my many repeating elements.

The song is about someone who profits from disassembling precious things. Ergo, “semiprecious” is wordplay.

I hope this matching criteria is sufficient to make it to round 1.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

The first cut is the deepest, huh.

There are twenty-six entries in Round Zero. One band will get the cruel cut.

https://nure.in/titles/2860332A483953FD1670BC8E00C4719D
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I was half expecting a repeat of last year's round 0 massacre
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Niveous wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:09 pm
The first cut is the deepest, huh.

There are twenty-six entries in Round Zero.
Doh!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Some notes on my entry. I was thinking of semiprecious stones and how many of them have been used as pigments, and decided to make a song about ultramarine, which is now mostly produced synthetically, but was once the most expensive pigment in the world because it was made from a semiprecious stone, lapis lazuli.

When I was thinking about what artworks use this colour, my mind went back to the feeling I got standing in front of Yves Klein’s work at the Guggenheim in Bilbao a few years ago, and how some colours can just give you this absolute rush of adrenaline and dopamine when you look at them. I kept coming back to Brett Whiteley’s extraordinary paintings as well, in particular The Balcony 2 (1975) and then I remembered that Big Orange Sunset (1974), while mostly orange, had this spike of ultramarine in it. Whiteley died from a heroin overdose in the early 90s, and the way he talked about ultramarine had this parallel with what I imagine the initial feeling of doing a drug like heroin might be like. I’ll stick with looking at art and listening to music though, thanks.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:17 am
And you may be too recent to remember Sausage Boy. He is from Adelaide - so he is pretty easily impressed. A quick reference to a body in a shallow grave and a hand job in the Veale Gardens - he'll be eating out of your hands.
That's a shallow bush grave, I'll have you know. In the city limits you can just leave them on Hindley Street.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

crumpart wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 am
it was made from a semiprecious stone, lapis lazuli
Wow. My first idea was to write a song about lapis lazuli rosary beads. Paint derived from the stone was traditionally used to depict Mother Mary.
Whiteley died from a heroin overdose in the early 90s, and the way he talked about ultramarine had this parallel with what I imagine the initial feeling of doing a drug like heroin might be like.
Bit of a different take. Looking forward to hearing it and what everyone else came up with!
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

I count at least three songs about trucks. Interestingly, none of them are country. :lol:
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

grumpymike wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 am
crumpart wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 am
it was made from a semiprecious stone, lapis lazuli
Wow. My first idea was to write a song about lapis lazuli rosary beads. Paint derived from the stone was traditionally used to depict Mother Mary.
Whiteley died from a heroin overdose in the early 90s, and the way he talked about ultramarine had this parallel with what I imagine the initial feeling of doing a drug like heroin might be like.
Bit of a different take. Looking forward to hearing it and what everyone else came up with!
Yeah, I figured if anyone else used Lapis Lazuli as an idea (not unlikely), choosing to use an Australian artist as a starting point was probably going to be a unique take. :)
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Already digging Brown Word and the Big Whine's entry.

Frankie and the Mountweasels really got the repetition part down, though I think it only gradually increases in annoyance.

Good work all!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Geech
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Drums, Keys, Bass, Handclaps
Submitting as: Geech Sorensen

Post by Geech »

The BSS song - It's not that great to be this dog.

/// --- geech.com --- ///
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl

Post by owl »

doting owner + all the delicious meat scraps you can eat though?! Doesn’t seem too bad for the most part.
Geech
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Drums, Keys, Bass, Handclaps
Submitting as: Geech Sorensen

Post by Geech »

owl wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:57 am
doting owner + all the delicious meat scraps you can eat though?! Doesn’t seem too bad for the most part.
When your owner is clearly unraveling, so obsessed with his gross hobby that it results in your physical danger, it's taken a downward turn, no?
/// --- geech.com --- ///
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

I also mentioned lapis lazuli in my lyric, and, uh, 25 other gemstones, unless you count pearl as a semi-precious stone, too. I also just realized that I mispronounced "onyx" and probably some others. Apologies if this should irritate you while listening, English is not my mother tongue. (In case you don't know, I am Austrian. Most Austrians do have a very thick accent when conversing in English, while mine is more subtle I frequently make small mistakes in pronunciation or grammar.)
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power

Post by arby »

Owl, I'm so sorry to hear about your family member. That sucks. :cry:
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

W.A.I.L. I.A.A.C. Don't worry - there are four other judges!

Balance Lost -
It's alright. Something weird about your phrasing, particularly in the choruses.

Berkeley Social Scene -
I dislike the country vibe you appear to have picked up. Bass tone is great, mind. Good solo. I actually really like the "bridge". Solo not as appealing second (or third) time around. Really not hearing the challenge being met.

Boffo Yux Dudes -
Amazingly, I like a BYD song! Had to happen some time. Nice lyrical take on the title, though it needs a bit more oomph in the chorus. But that is only an arrangement issue so no biggie. Again, i am not hearing any recognition of the challenge being met. But that's because I'm the idiot who came up with it, so will consider those who i've called out on it later, when I haven't had a glass of wine. Potentially very good, is the takeaway.

Brown Word and the Big Whine -
Yes! This is great. Not much else to say except hooray! I like the jaunty music hall piano which haunts the song like a lich. Not much else to say except more of this, please! It's like a weird other-galaxy Archies, which is what all music should aim for.

Budget Bears -
i like this one. Echoey reverb on the drums make it sound like it's a rehearsal room recording, but that's no bad thing. Some geographical bias may do you favours in the scoring, but deal, people!

Cavedwellers -
Wow. I didn't think you could ruin a CCR song by slowing it down and removing any semblance of melody; but I'm proved wrong. Its not bad but its in no way good. There seems a lot of singing "stones" which kind of meets the challenge, I guess. Its probably just a solo John Fogerty album track. Which, if that's what you were after, you have achieved. Well done!

Crown Shy -
Really like this one, but the chorus guitar almost ruins it. Overpowers the melody almost totally. In fact the over-arrangement is the maddest thing about this. the voice is the best thing about this, stop trying to bury it in the mix! Keep it simple!

Ever Kenievel -
Not bad. A bit bland in the verses perhaps, but i like the chorus a lot.

Frankie and the Mountweasels -
It's ok. I appreciate the 80s synth we can all be Kraftwerk vibe, though they would never write something as dull as this. I like it more when the vocal kicks in, though just repeating the title doesn't really meet the challenge. Overall I liked it but doubt I would ever listen to it again.

Governing Dynamics -
Uh-oh, power chords in the chorus! Quiet/loud dynamic well and truly governed. I found this a bit drab TBH.

Grumpy Mike -
Oh no, I like a Grumpy Mike song! Its really not that bad, but that power chord almost had me switching off. Glad I didn't! Ignoring the "interpretation" of the challenge because I like it.

Heid -
I should absolutely hate this, as its not in my wheelhouse musically, but I really like it. For someone I have never heard of, to have the "win over" effect on me is unusual but it must be recognised. There is a unique charm to your voice, which helps me ignore the fact that the lyric is a bit shit.

Hot Pink Halo -
Pretty but essentially "Maria McKee boring" to me. However the overlapping final chorus reaches it out of the lone justice doldrums and takes it to a much more interesting place. In a round where most people only chose to read one word of the challenge, extra points for you!

Lichen Throat -
In an alternative universe, this could be a Residents song. However in this universe, it's a hot MIDI mess and the weird timing issues with the phrasing (to these ears) means I can't overlook these problems. I think there is a good song in here but you haven't found out how to release it yet.

The Lowest Bitter -
Hell, yes! I love dealing with the challenge up front, and that overpowering bass synth is just so stupidly brilliant. To be honest there was no way from there except down but it took me until 1.46 to notice/start getting restless, so fab. Also that awful high note you go for at and miss 2.06 and 2.20 might have ripped me out of the song had it not been followed by the last 30 seconds which are top. I would dance eccentricly to this in a club, which should be taken as the highest compliment. Just don't go for notes out of your range. It's not charming or pushing yourself, it's just unpleasant for everyone.

Lucky Spoon -
No. Novelty shit. Sorry, just not to my taste AT ALL. It's all really well recorded and performed, but the question "why?" hangs over it like a fetid smell. Of poop.

Mandibles -
I don't hate it, though it's all a bit Ralph Mctell in the 80s. But it's ok though the lyric seems unnecessarily bitter/portentous. I really like the fuzzy effect on the vocal but then around 2.30 it all goes DSOTM Pink Floyd and this goes on for 5 MINUTES! It's a bit pompous.

Max Bombast -
Every time I watch one of your "making of" videos, I hear a really good riff that doesn't get pursued. Every time I hear one of your songs, I am reminded of Therapy? but would like to hear a good Therapy? song (there are some). It may be the words that bore me. Something does. Every time ... obviously I admire your obvious talent in moulding a perfect encapsulation of any song from the 90s that I hate. Ill stop now.

Moss Palace -
Who pays for what? You seem quite angry about the payment arrangement, that's for sure. Not bad, in a PJ Harvey 4 track demos way. Nice solo. However, i really cant hear how you meet the challenge, or tried. Might be just these overtaxed ears.

Nick Soma -
The first ten seconds left me fearing but what followed thankfully went in a different direction. It's a bit slow and dullish but I can appreciate the early SOM vibe. Sorry that might not be entirely accurate; but you'd prefer that to the Mission, right?

see-man-ski -
I don't really like the way you take the chorus lyrically. It veers from 70s pop-rock into Snow Patrol. But that appears to be the taste of the round so can't judge you harshly for that. Its not bad it's just not good. For some reason the dreaded phrase "Kula Shaker" keeps jumping into my head unbidden, so ...

The Serviettes -
That vocal is all over the place, tonally; but I like the tune; but that vocal is all over the place. The lyric is nice. But Ooow! That vocal! It's almost perfect but then it isn't. Also complete failure on the challenge, as I hear it (or don't)...

Third Cat -
My first instinct is "Boring!" and by 1.15 my opinion isn't changing much. TBF, around 2.00, i'm getting a "you're winning me round" vibe, but this should be my sh*t and somehow it isn't. I cant quite explain why, and Im sorry about that.

Virgo Power -
Hell, yes! The omnichord might be a little loud in the EQ range, but the very fact I'm writing that shows how little I know when it comes to mixin' and masterin'. Anyway, a lovely tune and a good strong vocal that carries it over the minimal chordal structure of the song. However I didn't really hear the challenge being met, so you may lose some points there ...

Wombat! -
Well, never judge a song by the awful band name! I really like the fuckery of this one. The "bass" line (when it started i thought it was a synth but towards the end it went a bit slap bassy) is a bit dull, but i don't care! Im not sure it really supports the near three minute runtime, but hey, I really like the "right level of disrespect" you're rocking, so kudos! There's not much beyond that, which doesn't bode well for the future, but for right now, that was perfect.

WreckdoM -
I like how you sound more like the Butthole Surfers with every song. Not my favourite Wreckdom song but they are all of a sufficiently high quality. Lets just say this is the song I would use as an excuse to go to the bar and leave it at that.