There can be only one.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Nur Ein XVI: Round Six "Devil In The Rain"

Post by crumpart »

Alternatively, I’ve downloaded all the songs anyway and can do it in about two seconds now.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Here we go, Brown Word's vid for Devil In The Rain.
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
heid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Heid
Pronouns: He/she/they/it

Post by heid »

I will add a video this evenin for mine!
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

really loved owl/Crown Shy's song this week. thought it fit nicely with the video too. this was a cool challenge idea judges.

owl vs max for the final should be interesting, such contrasting styles but both are obviously super talented.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Because you fine people deserve reviews, even if they are from the mind of an idiot.

Written in no particular order, and before the results were posted if some of the comments seem redundant.

Crown shy: When I listened without the video I was impressed by the sonic palette and the atmosphere that you had created. I love those sweeping, droning waves that permeate the background. With the video it seems to match very well, certainly in mood, and for the most part in terms of syncronisation too. I actually think the video forced you to end a bit earlier than the song wanted. This could have had another minute of epic noise before ending, but that is certainly not your fault.

MB: I really liked the intro to this, it set me up for a disappointment because as the song took a sharp left turn into the verse it was much less my bag. The oom-pah rhythm isn't my favourite although the bassline is cool, and the transitions into the chorus are masterfully done. The problem is the sections I don't like are long and the sections I do like are short, although the harmonies that come in in the later verses are very nice. After the intro, the video/song sync has a couple of well aligned cuts, but I feel the video is too boring for the song, which of course is all your fault :P .

Brown Word: This was another one where the intro made me excited for what was to come and I was very quickly and dramatically let down. I'm a sucker for a nice jangly guitar, much less so for slowly strummed chords over a ploddy rhythm. This has some interesting sonic detours though.

Heid: The organ at the start sets a suitable mood which complements the video nicely. The writing and vocal performance are good. I think this track suffers a little from the particularly high bar you set yourself from earlier entries, as it feels like a bit of a dip next to your Waiting For The Sun for example. Added to which the instrumentation is a bit thin and scratchily recorded. The organ from the intro never comes back when I feel maybe it would have helped add drama to the crescendos in the song. Nevertheless this is a nice song and I hope that's enough to carry you through against some pretty strong productions elsewhere in this round.

TLB: This is cool, big fan of the bouncy bass and arp twinkles. I like the fact that you almost say the title but don't, and the lyrics in general are cool, taking a sharply different angle from everyone else here. I think the vocal melody isn't your strongest, just kind of meanders among 3 or 4 notes without anything really sticking. Also the pad synth (strings?) doesn't seem to quite match up timing-wise. I might turn that down and push the drums up a bit, but that's just me and what does an idiot who got eliminated in round 5 know, eh?

Balance Lost: Not quite sure why this is labelled as Balance Lost as there was no song submitted by that band. What a song to have in one's repertoir though! I think the phrase "timeless classic" is appropriate. Expert use of alternate tunings (maybe even micro-tunings). One very significant criticism is that the solo is clearly made using "technology" and any self-respecting flatulist would be able to play it live. Le Petomane would be ashamed, but also proud.

HPH: I like the smooth electric piano and flanged guitar driving this along. Gives it a funky yacht-rock feel. Not such a fan of the "devil's in the...[insert lyric]" repeated bit. It's a crap title so leaning into it doesn't benefit the song.

Congrats to all of you for making it this far! Looking forward to the final for sure.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

For the sake of completeness and because if you're not happy with a challenge or title etc then THIS is the way to voice your displeasure, here is the Balance Lost shadow synced to a shortened version of the clip you can do so here:

http://tcelliottmusic.com/TC/BalanceLos ... heRain.mp4
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Is it Balance Lost or Ween I can't tell
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

heid wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:35 pm
I will add a video this evenin for mine!
Did you ever get a video posted? A friend was asking about the other entries so I was trying to link them all!
heid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by heid »

Hey, sorry about that! Our cat went missing that night and I promptly forgot. (He is home safe now)
Here it is:)
https://youtu.be/4oF7wHGbSzI
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

heid wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:47 pm
Hey, sorry about that! Our cat went missing that night and I promptly forgot. (He is home safe now)
Am I the only one with no volume/music? I've listened twice with nothing.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
heid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by heid »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 am
heid wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:47 pm
Am I the only one with no volume/music? I've listened twice with nothing.
Son of a buck! Looks like I goofed. I'll fix it today
heid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by heid »