Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Nur Ein XVII Round Three "Can't Let It Go"

Post by Niveous »

It's time for the Guest Round!

Submit an original song by June 12th at 11:59 PM (EDT) that fits the following criteria

Title: "Can't Let It Go"
Challenge: Must include a guest from outside the band singing a vocal harmony

Send your MP3 to nurein.sidefight@gmail.com

Good luck!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: Nur Ein XVII: Round Three "Can't Let It Go"

Post by glennny »

Cross pollination?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

I like this title. Already got my lyric finished (in the last three rounds, that took me until Sunday and in some occasions that showed... because so I say :lol:)
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages
Pronouns: he/him

Post by adamadamant »

All I can think of now is that song from Frozen.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Oh dear. It's Thursday morning. I'm at work. Tomorrow I am going to the beach until Monday.

So far my song is a single lyric, and a basic chord progression. In my head. Oh dear.
.sig
governingdynamics
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: PreSonus Studio One 5, Sono Audient interface
Submitting as: Governing Dynamics, The Alleviators
Pronouns: he/they

Post by governingdynamics »

gizo wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:44 pm
Oh dear. It's Thursday morning. I'm at work. Tomorrow I am going to the beach until Monday.

So far my song is a single lyric, and a basic chord progression. In my head. Oh dear.
Hey, I've got some good news.. :D

Grats! Enjoy that beach.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

governingdynamics wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:04 pm
gizo wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:44 pm

Hey, I've got some good news.. :D

Grats! Enjoy that beach.
Oh my....
.sig
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

Nice job Gizo!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

My "Plan A" fell through, so I'm scrambling here. On the bright side, my lyrics were finished (like, all the way finished) on Wednesday afternoon, which is about three and a half days faster than my average for rounds 0-2. And also on the bright side, I'm sticking with the same song idea the whole way through! Wish me luck pulling it together!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

JonPorobil wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:15 am
My "Plan A" fell through, so I'm scrambling here. On the bright side, my lyrics were finished (like, all the way finished) on Wednesday afternoon, which is about three and a half days faster than my average for rounds 0-2. And also on the bright side, I'm sticking with the same song idea the whole way through! Wish me luck pulling it together!
You’ve got this, Jon! I can hear it in the ocean breeze - the wind is calling your name. You’ve got this.
.sig
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

gizo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:28 am
JonPorobil wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:15 am
You’ve got this, Jon! I can hear it in the ocean breeze - the wind is calling your name. You’ve got this.
Thanks Gizo. Enjoy your holiday, and congrats on the win last round!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
mo
Mean Street
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

I understand that I'm a degenerate, but man I wish there was a book for Nur Ein so we could bet round winners, etc. Not for actual money, because money ruins everything, but like, it's fun to bet on things. Now if only the Celtics would win two in a row.
Pop Machine
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Vox, keys, cash register
Recording Method: PreSonus Studio, Audacity, TASCAM 24-channel A/D
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes, Pop Machine
Pronouns: he/that asshole

Post by Pop Machine »

mo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:15 pm
I understand that I'm a degenerate, but man I wish there was a book for Nur Ein so we could bet round winners, etc. Not for actual money, because money ruins everything, but like, it's fun to bet on things. Now if only the Celtics would win two in a row.
I understand that I'm a pessimist, but getting knocked out and/or reviewed poorly is usually demoralizing enough, so the idea that people could conceivably bet/cheer on our eventual demise? Nah, I'm good.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

I have a song recorded. I know I'm a shadow, but if anyone wants to try backing vocals and harmonies, let me know.
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

BenKrieger wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:12 pm
I have a song recorded. I know I'm a shadow, but if anyone wants to try backing vocals and harmonies, let me know.
I'll do it Kriegy! would love it if you could do the same for me, assuming I can come up with a song in the next day...
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Holy cow, you guys. "Plan A" didn't sound very good. "Plan B" fell through. I had some good friends help me with a last-minute "Plan C" while I also salvaged some pieces of "Plan A." That means that attributing all my guests is going to be a mouthful.

First, for the "studio" portion of the song, you'll hear some overdubbed harmonies by Devin Russian, Braylee Pierce, Ukulele Mollie, and Brandon Parish.

I've also mixed in parts of a live performance, with contributing vocals by Devin Russian (again), Ukulele Mollie (again), Michael Berkey, Wild Bill Cox, Karen Groll, Carrie King, Scott Henry Harris, Orange G, Matthew Crowe, Joe Matzzie, Terry Goulding, and Kevin Narushoff. The live recording also features a soprano saxophone played by Brad Yoder.

Rather than trying to fit all that into a file name, I'll be submitting as "Jon Porobil & Friends."

Just submitted a safety mix. And with nine and a half hours to spare!

NUR EIN!!!

governingdynamics
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: PreSonus Studio One 5, Sono Audient interface
Submitting as: Governing Dynamics, The Alleviators
Pronouns: he/they

Post by governingdynamics »

The Alleviators will be in although from the recording perspective we have suffered a lot of overall logistical problems and a plague of last minute technical issues this week. Still a pretty good song, though, I think.

Wanted to note here as well as in the lyrics; you'd be forgiven for thinking that Beka is harmonizing with herself but actually, our guest vocalist is her sister, Ryan.
Last edited by governingdynamics on Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Our guest details are in our lyrics post but I wanted to say here to try to make sure the judges see it, the woman singing harmonies in our song is NOT Erin. It's a new friend that lives in town here who came over this morning to record her vocals. She's singing the harmony above Erin's lead vocal.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

I’m just packing up from a lovely long weekend at the cold wet and windy beach. I saw a wombat, plenty of kangaroos, and went to a good & wine festival.

I feel at peace and relaxed, but I really did miss writing and recording this week. Can’t wait to hear all your voices when I get home this arvo.

Take care, all you beautiful people.
.sig
mo
Mean Street

Post by mo »

Elks guest harmonies will be listed in the lyrics, but if you're familiar with it, you will recognize Jeff Fal's distinctive stylings, as well as stellar BV harmonies provided by Mark Wengelewski, of the 80s hair metal band Wenger. Oh wait, that's not a thing
Geech
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Drums, Keys, Bass, Handclaps
Submitting as: Geech Sorensen

Post by Geech »

For the interested, the BSS song features Thanks for the Frisbee on harms. It’s about the insane Hands on a Hardbody Nissan pickup truck giveaway contest they used to have in Longview, Texas. Just be the last one standing with your hand on the truck and you get to drive it home to keep. They did a documentary movie and even a musical about it.
/// --- geech.com --- ///
mo
Mean Street

Post by mo »

great documentary!