Nur Ein I Round One "Pencil Me In"

There can be only one.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

For all we know ERik did, and so did ... uh..the..other..person.

I'll have to scroll up later.

I remember when I finished my "the one" sidefight entry that Phil Redmon was running.. I was two hours late.

He did not accept it. I briefly felt cheated, but I also realized it was my own damn fault for procrastinating. So, no bad feelings, and I got a cool song out of the deal anyway...

It's ok, Luke and the rest can sign up for season two.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

jolly roger wrote:
Sven wrote:This is the first Jolly Roger song I've heard, and I'm surprised- it's pretty good!
Thanks!
Sven wrote:Tune your guitar!
jack wrote:the guitar sounds out of tune and kind of ragged.
Yes. My guitar was very very out of tune during recording. I used my brother's tuner for the past little bit while I've been learning guitar, but then in the past month it crapped out on me and hasn't been working altogether .
your whole life needs to revolve around buying a tuner. don't even pick up the guitar again until you have one (or can tune by ear)

you can find 440hz tones on the web, if nothing else.

you should tune between every take, and twice before the first one.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

blue wrote:you can find 440hz tones on the web, if nothing else.
Or in your nearest telephone handset. (Which makes for a wicked party trick, BTW :P )
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Look what I found at Guitar Lesson World:

Low E
A
D
G
B
High E
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

deshead wrote:
blue wrote:you can find 440hz tones on the web, if nothing else.
Or in your nearest telephone handset. (Which makes for a wicked party trick, BTW :P )
how does that work? it looks like 440 is intermodulated? can you still pick it out?
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

blue wrote:how does that work? it looks like 440 is intermodulated? can you still pick it out?
Ya, with a little practice. It's easier to learn with one of the harmonics on the A string (the 5th fret is actually at 440Hz.) If you start with a perfectly tuned string, and play around with detuning it while listening to a dial tone, you should start to hear the beats. Then once you know what you're listening for, tuning is easy.
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

deshead wrote:Or in your nearest telephone handset. (Which makes for a wicked party trick, BTW :P )
That is awesome.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

the results are in and will definitely be announced tomorrow. :)

again, nice work to everyone.
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Hey, class-act of this round: Ken. He had immunity, but still submitted, and a nice sounding piece too.

Cause that's the kinda competitive fighter he is... get immunity and then prove he'd be going to the next round either way.

Seriously though, that's cool, I appreciated it.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Thanks. My comment when I won immunity was, "Thanks! Not that I need it... this round."

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

deshead wrote:
blue wrote:how does that work? it looks like 440 is intermodulated? can you still pick it out?
Ya, with a little practice. It's easier to learn with one of the harmonics on the A string (the 5th fret is actually at 440Hz.) If you start with a perfectly tuned string, and play around with detuning it while listening to a dial tone, you should start to hear the beats. Then once you know what you're listening for, tuning is easy.
possibly the best thing i've learned on songfight.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

jimtyrrell wrote:Look what I found at Guitar Lesson World:

Low E
A
D
G
B
High E
Thanks! That could be really helpful!
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I'm writing just some of my reviews now ... I have to eat soon.

The Bewells - I really like the vocal harmonies. Great job on those. It's a really catchy song for me at least. I like the relaxing solo section. This song was pretty enjoyable overall for me. You might have been able to build it up a bit more, but it seemed really good the way it is. I give it a 90%.

Bjam - I like this one from the start - good guitar playing. Great vocal performance by the way. I know you didn't have tons of time to work on this one, and it shows in some aspects, but it seems really good to me from what I can hear. I give it an 85%.

Calfborg - I like the intro with the bass and everything. Weird vocal effect, but really original feeling. I really like the mix on this one. Pretty laid back, but I like that feel. Really interesting key playing. Keep it up.

MC Paul Denyer etc. - Can people actually clap their hands that fast? This is kind of interesting. Cool mix of beats and stuff. It needs something catchy in it to make it memorable though. I give it a 65%.

Deshead - Reminds me of a Calgary Stampede breakfast, but with a really really good singer and well-written songs. I honestly can't say much about this one. I love it. Definitely my favorite so far. Bonus for a great guitar solo and hitting your falsetto notes. I give it a 100%.

Glenn Case - I don't know if I've said this before, but I don't love your voice. That aside, I really like the songwriting and harmonies etc. The voice is probably just a personal taste thing too, but if you want some advice, you might want to avoid the really nasal feel. I'm no pro, but from what I've learned, don't sing from your chest. Sing from down in your diaphragm and breath without tightening your body. I'll rate you on songwriting. I give you a 90%.

Heuristics Inc. - Cool. Makes me want to do a dance. Kind of creepy though. It's probably just part of the style, but I'm not a huge fan of the effect on the voice. It's a good song though. I give it a 85%.

Jim Tyrell - I like the sound of it so far. Really cool. If it keeps this up and keeps my attention, it could definitely be a favorite. It did! Great job! I don't know if I can offer any suggestions ... other than keep it up. I give it a 100%.

Jolly Roger - Well, this is me.

Oh no ... food's done. That's all I'm doing for now. The rest of my reviews are coming!
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Niveous wrote:Denyer: What's with the British accent?
I don't know. I guess I just picked it up living in a British nation for the past 20 years.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.

Comments

Post by Ross »

These are more of comments than reviews: I listened in my car. I tried to take notes without getting into an accident. Assuming I understand my notes, here are my comments along with whether I would put the song in a "High" "Mid" or "Low" tier. where "High" means absolutely no risk of elimination (if I were a judge) and "Low" means could be eliminated (if I were a judge).

Sausage Boy - Of the songs I've heard by you, I think this one is on the better end. I like the exposed clap. I know you kept the ending for some reason, but it didn't work for me/not my thing. Cool groove though. - Low

Stuey - I liked your lyrics and you have a great bridge. The twin leads worked for me. - High

Sven - REminds me of Teenage Fanclub, which I like. Good guitar stuff for sure. but overall package leaves me with - Mid.

Tex - Damn, I can't read my notes. I'll edit this if I get a chance. It looks like I wrote "lemon-picky" at any rate, I can read "mid." It didn't sound all that "tex" to me. In fact, the first listen when deshead came on I thought, "Oh, this must be Tex."

Thornberry - My forst note was for "High," but I think you went for too much here. It sounds like you were going for epic, but you didn't get there. I generally like this ilk and am impressed at what you put together in 5 days, but hte overall artistic package wore out for me. - mid

BJam - This didn't pay off for me. Compared to other vocal work I have heard from you i think this fell far short. I even feel that you were unsure of some of the pitches. Sounds like a bit of a walk-through that the length works against. I know what you usually do, but for this song - low.

HINC - nice overall sound, lyrics a little hard to hear. Seems proficient but I also have a smidge of genre bias. mid/low

Leaf - Excellent. Maybe my favorite in the fight. - High

Octothorpe - at some point I'll buckle down and admit that this is either not my thing or I don't get it. If I was a judge - low (partly for use of clap)

Remiss - I like the clap pattern that doesn't line up to exact clicks. I like your basic deal as far as the rap thing goes (although I'm not really a hip hop guy). This song is called "Pencil me in?" seems liek a tag-on. - Low

Wreckdom - Another act I may not get. Of the Wreckdom songs I've heard this ranks very high, but it is still Wreckdom (I commend you for your commitment to musical vision) - low (partly for use of clap)

Bewells - I love this! In my top two or three for sure. Great harmonies, good words. The only thing not working for me is the lowest bass vocal, sounds alittle croaky and doesn't blend.- High

Calfborg - Ok, some interesting work with sounds. I like the "instrumental" break. as far as song content, I think I'll go - mid

Deshead - Great song. I'm not sure I'm feeling the title connection all that much in spite of your ending. for that reason I'm gonna go - high/mid

Glenn - Stealers Wheel? I LOVE the line with stone - blood - etc... best lyrics in the fight. - High

Jim Tyrell - The piano and guitar blend nicely. It grooves along well, but I found it sort of uneventful. - mid

Jolly Roger - My basic reaction is that this felt like immature songwriting - the connections didn't really work for me - the lead/graphite line sounds like a good idea that didn't pay off and the anthem chorus didn't work for me. - Low

MC Paul - this seemed good for rap to me. I haven't hear much hip-hop with an accent (well, to me you have an accent). But posture-rap, or whatever it's called, generally feels loosely linked to title for me. you connected well considering. - mid

Noah - Not an artistic success to me. I enjoyed the way the lyrics unfolded better when I read them. Your vocals seemed to be out of key. The overall flow didn't quite fit, but I like the concept and the attempt. Even so, - low

Ken - adding insult to injury. "Immunity, I don't need no stinking immunity." Next time you should put your immunity on ebay. Elegant.

Kamakura[/] - couldn't get it to play

me - I had a really hard time writing this. As such I'm glad to have ended up with a cohesive package. I'm proud of the interlocking handclaps and am a little bummed that so many found them annoying. They're inspired by a combination of the "anthology" version of "I'm looking through you" and "Clapping Music" by Steve Reich. Then I remebered how irritating minimalism can be to some people (it can even make my mom cry). At any rate I'd make this - Mid (thanks for all the reviews)

A really good collection of songs - I enjoyed listening more than some of the above comments imply - with a few great and a few on the other end.

FAVORITES - Leaf, Bewells, Glenn

If I had to guess who was going - Remiss, Jolly Roger
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.

Post by Ross »

I generally try to avoiding commenting on reviews received until I have given mine. Thanks to those who reviewed!
Leaf wrote: I always feel like you’re selling chewing gum.
Is there good money in that - where do I apply?
Jack wrote:the handclaps work percussively pretty well. nice outro!
Thanks - I'm glad someone felt that way!! And even gladder that it was a member of the panel :-)
Tex wrote:8. Ross Durand:
Thanks man!! - that's higher than I'd put myself!!
Niveous wrote:Points for trying to fit Ticonderoga in the prosody of your song.
Yeah, I know. but I couldn't resist.

Hoping to see you in round two!!!

Ross
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Here's a stream in case anyone wants one...

http://www.songfight.org/nur_ein_1.m3u

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

thanks spud!
Hi!
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Bewells
Mmmm. Just Mmmm. Reminds me of 'America'.

Bjam
It sounds like you're tired. I genuinely like what you do, and this is no exception... except not as polished.

Calfborg
Mmm. If I got stoned I could see getting stoned to this. Great treatment of the vocal. Could be longer.

Deshead
Perfect

Glen Close
Perfect

Heuristics Inc
You'll either like this or you won't I do.

Jim Tyrrell
A tyrrell song is always worth ear time. No exception: I like it muchly.

Jolly Roger
I know what you were after and it nearly worked

Ken
Mr Immunity has, as always a great voice. Nice, sweet tune.

Kamakura
A risky experiment, stupid, but hey that's life. the muse is sulking.

Leaf
I like this a lot, and at this point in the play list it's tops. Very British (sorry).

MC Paul Denyer
Genre bias rushes in, but this is OK

Noah McLaughlin
Your voice has grown on me. Heavy lyrics and odd production.

Octothorpe
Octothorpe is as Octothorpe does; or something. You've done much better.

Sausage Boy
Weird. Is this a good thing? Hmm. Don't know.

Tex Beaumonts and the Dirty Hearts
Wicked! Too much xxxx. Nothing wrong with that. I like.

Ross Durrand
You have a really nice gravelly part to your voice which occasionally comes through. I want more of that. Nice, but... Give it more.

Remiss
Genre bias who was loitering at the back on the couch gets up and hits me on the head.

Stuey M
I like the explanation for the lyrics. You, like Ross, should let loose and give it some.

Sven Mullet
OK. The drums needed to rock harder, especially towards the end

Thornberry
This is good. Reminds me of McCartney's Wings.

Wreckdom
The way you sing 'Pencil Me inininininin' is sweet. Fun. Did the Ballet win?

My tops in no particular order would be: Leaf, Noah, Tyrrell, Tex, Deshead, Bewells, Thornberry, Calfborg, Glen Close... I'm glad I'm not a Judge.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

I'm sorry for not getting full reviews done on these. I did get a chance to listen to them on the way up to Dixville last night though. Some thoughts:

1. This contest has pushed most participants to the top of their game.

2. There's nothing in this fight I outright didn't like. I must go along with Kamakura: I'm glad I'm not a Judge.

3. I'm jumping on the Glenn Case bandwagon. Nice work, man.

Big thanks to everyone who reviewed. I have a much easier week coming up, so hopefully I'll be able to give a more thorough breakdown of round two.

Nur Ein!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I started reviewing, but I won't be able to finish until after the results are posted. That is ok, I think.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Bewells: On one hand, this seems like a safe, first-round entry. On the other, it sounds amazing. I really like how forward in the mix you made the vocals.

Bjam: Your voice allows me to forgive the obviously rushed recording. For the next round, I'd a) make sure you give yourself more time, and b) take a tip from the Bewells entry, and get your vocals that far forward in the mix.

Calfborg: Great mood. I keep getting an 80's vibe from your vocal delivery, though I can't place the band. Chalk Circle? Anyway, keep submitting stuff like this and I'm sure you go the distance.

Denyer: The "minesweeper" reference seemed out of place, but maybe it just went over my head. If you submit more stuff in this genre, you might consider lowering the kick a little and raising your vocals. Your voice works well for the style, so you should let it take center stage, so to speak.

Glenn Case: My first thought when I heard this was "and they say *I* sound Canadian??!?!" Then I saw your reference to Odds in that other thread, and it all came together. I think you've already won the contest.

Heuristics Inc: It's like Skinny Puppy or early Ministry or some such. I'd like to hear the vocals a little clearer, but then, the piece does work as a whole. Maybe the lyrics aren't that important to it. Either way, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jim Tyrrell: This is full of great hooks! "As good as dead to me" is a sweet lyric, especially the way you syncopate it. Fantastic song, man.

Jolly Roger: The key to convincing drum machine parts is variation in the cymbals and hi hats. If you have the capability (and plan to use the drum machine in the next round,) I'd allow yourself a little time for "humanizing" especially the hi frequency parts.

Kamakura: Eff, link isn't working for me. I'll try again later.

Ken: Yeah, you needed immunity. Heh. I like the way you cleanly finish every syllable. Very controlled singing. Makes everything so clear.

Leaf62: Just awesome. Ramones meets The Specials. Unlike Niv, I really liked the "fairy tale " line. The whole song, really.

Noah: I could be way off base here, but I get the impression you're trying to sound like Aaron Lewis. If that's the case, it might be hurting the song. I want to hear you sing it all relaxed and comfortable in front of the mic.

#: I didn't get # 'til I covered On My Block. Now it works for me. "At the theee-a-tuh" cracks me up

Remiss: I think this would have worked much better if you'd used real handclaps, and backed off the mic so you could give 'er a little more. Maybe some tips for the next round.

Ross: Some really sweet phrases in this. "With or at me" is great. Good choice with the organ on the right, too. Totally enhances the mood.

Sausage Boy: This is bold. I figure you're just doing your thing, so it might not seem that way to you. But depending on how the judges do their judging, this could sail, or ... well, not.

Stueym: Why in God's name does this remind me of the Bay City Rollers? :o It's definitely a great song, and I'd say it just needs some mix love. Don't be afraid to push the bottom end a little!! Maybe try listening to some commercial CDs while you're mixing, to give your ears a reference.

Sven Umlaut: I reckon the guitar riff is the single catchiest thing in the whole first round. Listen to j mascis much?

Texavan Ray: Hahahaha .. This cracked me up, in a good way. So much fun.

Thornberry: A little Wings, a little Manic Streets ... Overall, very very good. This is probably the most commercial-sounding song of the first round.

WreckdoM: When you say "ballet," you mean ballet, right? Either way, great WreckdoM.