Nur Ein I Round Two "Sleeper"

There can be only one.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Yer, I agree with Jack to an extent - my only grumble with Octothorpe is that everything is recorded live(-ish) and generally with not that many practices so it's a bit slack, but that is your avowed principle, so I can get with it, and enjoy the songs. Which usually are getting close on genius. What can i say that hasn't been said?

I guess if you record enough songs, people are gonna run out of criticisms, postive and negative, that are fresh and new, or offer any advice that can actually be implemented. If I had a penny for every time someone said 'I don't like your voice ....' :)
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Octothorpe are much like the Grateful Dead.
I disliked the Dead, couldn't understand why my friends liked them so much... Then I 'saw' them.
Once aquired the taste never leaves you.
# are the same.
You are not going to get a chart hit with what you do, but you are going to get an ever increasing band of staunch followers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Kamakura wrote:Octothorpe are much like the Grateful Dead.
I disliked the Dead, couldn't understand why my friends liked them so much... Then I 'saw' them.
Once aquired the taste never leaves you.
# are the same.
You are not going to get a chart hit with what you do, but you are going to get an ever increasing band of staunch followers.
hey "Touch of Grey" was a #9 hit. Octothorpe can have one.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Hmm, so my reviews somehow seem much more acerbic than last week's, but that's just a consequence of being in text. Try reading them with a gentler voice in mind, cuz that's what I had in mind while typing them.

<b>Octothorpe</b>: It’s kinda hard to understand what you’re saying at a lot of times. I think maybe y’all’s enthusiasm tends to get the better of you (the line that’s a bunch of mixed mumbling and then a high pitched voice goes “Sleeper!â€
Tex Beaumont
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Tex Beaumont »

[quote="Mogosagatai"]<b>Tex Beaumont</b>: The “Wake up!â€
The artist formerly known as Caravan Ray
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Mogosagatai wrote: <b>Sausage Boy</b>: I realize repetition is your thing, but you’ve gotta go somewhere to hold my interest. This is a pretty cool riff to be hanging onto, but the point is, you’re just hanging on to it. Actually, you kinda beef it up enough to get interesting again, near the end. What with the crashy cymbals and that synthy organ—I like that. I also like bellsy synth that comes after that. So yeah, this gets a little interesting. I’d still cut that first part down to about a fourth of what it is now.
I totally agree that the start is a little long. Well, not a little. It is stupidly long. Sometimes, I get a little wanky for my own good.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Mogosagatai wrote:<b>Jolly Roger</b>: A trick I learned: Write a song, then take each part that repeats and cut that part in half. Is it still just as interesting? If so, then you should cut it in half. But anyway, that’s actually a very minor complaint, since I don’t think you dragged this out too much, except in the intro. Those two chords are pretty played out and tired, but when you start making those other changes my interest is piqued again. I think you’re actually a decent songwriter, just still fleshing some shit out. Bongos are nice. I might’ve cut made the drums half as fast—that would probably fit the mood of the song better.
I was actually going to take out the intro, since I thought it delayed the song too much, but I decided against ... I tried a lot of different drum stuff, but then I had a good take and decided to just use it. Thanks for your comments.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Tex Beaumont wrote:I think this would have worked with just the samples and a repeated hooky chorus.
Mighta tried that, but the mandated lack of rhyming turned off the (admittedly already weak) "hooky chorus" genes I may already have.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

By the way, Juror Number Three. Thanks!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com