ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein IV: Round Three

Post by ken »

Congrats Wreckdom! A much deserved win. Sorry to see folks go!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages

Post by adamadamant »

It's sad to go but I definitely feel for Teplin. Great entry and consistent performances throughout. Kloberdanz was no piece of meat either, commiserations.

It would be nice if the judges would clarify if I was disqualified or just no-one liked it. After all there are no 'rules' that I broke, I'm not trying to argue but I would like to think that the song wasn't the worst for every judge on it's own merits.

Anyway. Hurrah for everyone else. Good luck in the coming rounds.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

adamadamant wrote:It would be nice if the judges would clarify if I was disqualified or just no-one liked it. After all there are no 'rules' that I broke, I'm not trying to argue but I would like to think that the song wasn't the worst for every judge on it's own merits.
It was liked. Melvin really seemed to enjoy it, but by using a sample (and in such a large scale), it seemed more remix than new composition. That's why we all voted it down. One judge also really hated your choice of sample.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Adam,

I'm a fan of your music. I hated this entry. It was at the bottom of my list before I considered the whole DQ aspect of it or not. We did have judge discussions about it. There was a judge who didn't realize your method, and your ranking went from tops to the bottom, I think another had you middle. So apparently I'm not an Abdominal fan. I think rapping in Fck Patois is really weak. Meanwhile i really enjoyed your backing tracks and kept hoping to hear your voice as well sing on the track. I read your post about what you were doing, and assumed that you were going to cut it up and use it as a sample, while you and your voice carried the weight of the song. Which was iffy, but I thought you might get inventive with it and I'd be turned around. With hindsight, I wish we responded to your post and warned you about our reservations, but speaking for myself I just didn't anticipate what it turned out to be.

While I'm here:

The competition is getting tough and someone has to go every week. I really enjoyed John Kloberdanz, and Howl Down the Chimney, but I just found the competition stronger this round.

City In Fog by Howl Down is on one of my more listened to Mix CDs, i look forward to HDTC entries whenever I see one (him?, them?) in a fight.

I'll give full reviews soon.

Great fight everyone! Especially the elite 3 = Wreckdom, Ross, and Paco!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

fürrypedro wrote:Howl Down The Chimney: That was a sample right? Or was it Jan.
I guess I can admit to it now.
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove

Post by adamadamant »

Thanks for the feedback judges!

I suspected I was on shakey ground when I entered but I liked the song and was short on time so I just said "it'll do". Had I had a bit more time I probably would have put more effort in and either mixed up the rap track as more of a sample or recruited a friend or SFer. The thing is there was no 'no go' sign in my mind, and people here seem to view it differently too, it's not entirely clear cut.

Could I be so bold as to suggest a 'list of rules' for future Nur Eins? It doesn't have to be exhaustive but there are certain shades of grey and matters of etiquette involved in the competition and writing these down would help clarify things in situations like this. There are always little questions that get asked and if they get asked in good time then it's fine but sometimes there isn't time so having something to refer to would be useful.

Well it's an idea.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

fürrypedro wrote:
Rone Rivendale wrote:After the 1st listen I have to say this is the worst round so far. No offensive to any of the entrants. The non-optional challange obviously threw alot of you off.
Objectivity out the window for just a second; Rone you talk some shit sometimes.
Umm, I'm sorry for not thinking every fight is the best one ever? lol
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

(shakes head) Oh Rone.
jast wrote:
fürrypedro wrote:Howl Down The Chimney: That was a sample right? Or was it Jan.
I guess I can admit to it now.
:) doesn't take too much sleuthing to figure that one out, what with you being the only German on SF. Incidentally, I met a guy from Aachen in Hong Kong, he was cool. Dunno why I bring it up, it's a pretty small town.
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

adamadamant wrote: Could I be so bold as to suggest a 'list of rules' for future Nur Eins? It doesn't have to be exhaustive but there are certain shades of grey and matters of etiquette involved in the competition and writing these down would help clarify things in situations like this.
It seems like this should be reasonably well-covered by Songfight!'s rule #1?
Songfight FAQ wrote: Write a song based on one of the titles posted. Songs written before the title was announced are not eligible for competition. No covers are allowed, unless you are so creative with it that we can't tell it's a cover.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove

Post by adamadamant »

Ok so in that case rule #1 of Nur Ein would be:
SongFight rules apply to Nur Ein.
They are different things and it is in no way implied that the rules carry over.
swilington
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: nothing really
Submitting as: Swilington

Post by swilington »

fürrypedro wrote: Swilington: That's the intro to "Exit Does Not Exist" is it not? you sir, are the man. Hahaha, if you're gonna steal one beat why not steal a bunch. The change seemed kind of arbitrary at the time but I can see what you were going for now. This song is cool, not amazing but I like it. The rap is kind of buried and it's a bit cookie cutter.
hehe, yeah it is. if you listen carefully, you can hear sampled beats from trucker's atlas and we laugh indoors. just curious, what is the judges' official stance on sampling? i always though of it as a useful tool if done correctly. sampling a drum loop here and there, maybe a riff or sound byte seems perfectly fine to me. let's not forget the god among men, beck. he relied heavily on sampling for, at least, his best albums. on the other hand, i find it unacceptable for "artists" like will smith and puff daddy who take another song (pretty much unaltered) and rap over it. what do you think?
swilington, framed!, lack of sleep,
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

fürrypedro wrote:what with you being the only German on SF.
Not true. I know at least one other German on SF: Heine. He hasn't been around for a while, though.
Apart from that, with Teplin being on the run from the people he has wronged (tongued?), he could have met any number of Germans.
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Niveous wrote:
adamadamant wrote:It would be nice if the judges would clarify if I was disqualified or just no-one liked it. After all there are no 'rules' that I broke, I'm not trying to argue but I would like to think that the song wasn't the worst for every judge on it's own merits.
It was liked. Melvin really seemed to enjoy it, but by using a sample (and in such a large scale), it seemed more remix than new composition. That's why we all voted it down. One judge also really hated your choice of sample.
I actually had the Adamadamant track ranked #1 when I thought the rap was a case of original writing and performance, but when the other judges clued me in that it was a sample, it sent your song to the bottom--not because you were disqualified in my mind, but because there just wasn't much merit left in the track.
hi!
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove

Post by adamadamant »

Fair do's I guess. Thanks for your thoughts.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

adamadamant wrote:Ok so in that case rule #1 of Nur Ein would be:
They are different things and it is in no way implied that the rules carry over.
The best way to learn the rules is to be a judge. I suggest you volunteer next year.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

So... I see we've reached the time when every single tune is a "This should definitely pass" entry, yes?

Wreckdom: Even better than Sleep Tight!
Signboy: wow, I am way out of my league here.
PacoDB: wait, girls have levers?
Ross: the Boom Snap Claps are freakin' gold.
Tiny Robots: Everything is in just the right place and sounds great. The rap builds the song up. Although, dagnabitt, something's not quite as genius as your stuff usually is, I can't tell what. It might be that the verse-rap-chorus arrangement puts a higher expectation on the chorus to be unbelievably amazing, but then the chorus didn't stand out. Not really... not like your other tunes which become ear worms for weeks. A stronger chorus on this one could knock it out of the park.
Howl: Well, shit. How are you always so good? I have never not absolutely loved what you come up with.
Adam Adamant: Man, I can see why you used that rap track. Awesome.
Todd McHatton: Doesn't stick out from the pack, but solid.
Swillington: Every track this week is awesome. My favorite melody of round three.
JohnK: I thought you were Ross for a minute there. This is fun!
JonEric: The keys rule. Actually, all the parts rule. Why is this one near the bottom of my list?!?
Reist: I love your voice. This song isn't my favorite of yours, which must be why it ended up last.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Henrietta wrote: JonEric: The keys rule. Actually, all the parts rule. Why is this one near the bottom of my list?!?
That's a good question!!
8)

Thanks for the feedback.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove

Post by adamadamant »

ken wrote:
adamadamant wrote:Ok so in that case rule #1 of Nur Ein would be:
The best way to learn the rules is to be a judge. I suggest you volunteer next year.

Ken
:) I may yet.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

frankie big face wrote:So I can't call Ken and ask him to lay down a backbeat for me?
Just for the record, as of yet, Frankie has not called me for a backbeat. :(

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Haha. That was a fun thread to re-read.

You really want to drum for me sometime? I mean, don't use the frowny emoticon if you don't mean it!