Nur Ein VI Round One "Colourblind"

There can be only one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Nur Ein VI: Round One

Post by Caravan Ray »

frankie big face wrote:I have to say I am really counting on the judges to recognize that a refrain is different than a chorus. Any casual listener to my song would say it has a chorus, but it doesn't--it has a refrain. Don't disqualify me!
Just discussed this with my mother-in-law who is a retired music teacher. She says you're full of shit and a refrain and a chorus are the same thing.

I am not going to argue with her.

NB: The fact that my mother-in-law says Frankie is wrong, indicates to me that it is almost 100% certain that Frankie is actually right. So carry on...as you were
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Embers of Autumn

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

I have viewed the songs once, so now it’s time for the re-views. In line with the theme, this week's judging style will be color-based. By the end, I was running out of unique colors, so please excuse me if the color doesn't make much sense in some cases.

Abbott and Hines - Love the music. Very vaudeville feel. Kinda sounds like some of the instruments are off-beat with others--spefically the hats on the drums. Color Score: Lime - Like a bleached out green--just seems like a watered down version of a good song.

Trip's Little Billy - The song grabs right away, which is a very good mark that you did it right (given the genre). Color Score: Maroon - The power and drive of red.

Boffo Yux - Well, maybe you need to practice this a few more times. I dunno, I don't mind the blues, but something seems off on this one. 'C' for effort. Color Score: Blue - not because of the blues, but I imagine the color pigmentation of your face after playing the harmonica that much.

Bram Tant - Well, vocals are on the left. That's a problem. Distorted guitar is only on right. You know, the vocals being on left is bad enough, but yelling when it's only on one side--well, that's just a headache. Color Score: White - the color of Acetametaphin. <- (Highlight to read)

DJ Ranger Den - First of all, actual music? That's an improvement. And I like it a lot as well. It's minimalist, but that's just fine. This sounds like the opening to a musical chill-down number. The talk-sing thing kinda works. I mean, I guess it just stands out in comparison to competition. Color Score: Indigo - Dark and broody and quiet--the last color of the day before night finally hits.

Embers of Autumn - Well, even if the recording came out soft and unrefined, I had a lot of fun doing this, so at least I got a new song for my repertoire.

Frankie Big Face - Now THAT'S an intro--but I guess that's been talked about at length so far. It has a very 90's feel, which makes me very happy. You... um... have a chorus though :(. I won't say anything if you don't. Color Score: Yellow - The color of happy and daylight and, um... Happy Days?

Glenn Raphael - Another grabbing intro. I always love the Electric-Acoustic guitar sound. I can't quite put my finger on what I would compare this to, but it's great to me. Color Score: Wood Grain - the color of an acoustic guitar (perhaps not yours, but in general).

John Kloberdanz - And ANOTHER catchy intro. It's a grabbing progression. Unfortunately, it just never really properly takes off, and it's just a little short to properly establish a repeating pattern like yours. It needs to build into something (even without a chorus, it needs to have a hooky bridge or something)Color Score: Mint - Much like Lime, a green that just doesn't seem pigmentally complete.

Jon Eric - Ok, piano always gets my attention. It's pretty good--like the lyrics and the bridge is effective--would LOVE to see something less patterned for the bridge, you know, let loose on the piano. Though the lyrical part of the bridge is really good and makes up for it. Color Score: Black and White - The colors of the keyson the keyboard of a pinao.

Luke Henley - Like last week, I really like the chord choices on your guitar. There's something thumping and I stopped the song a few times thinking it was somebody knocking on my door. It just stands out wayyyy too hard on the mixing. If it's supposed to be bass drum, it works better without it anyhow. Color Score: Olive Green - The color on the palatte that looks like it needs mixed with other colors better--like this song.

Manhattan Glutton - This is a very 'including' song, where it seems like the listening audience is part of the conversation, rather than just listening TO the song, which can be nice. Color Score: Green - The color of the 4/5 line that runs through Manhattan, cause I miss living in NYC sometimes. Oh, song was good, too.

Merisan - Love the male/female harmonics. I keep asking my wife to help me with my songs and, to date, she still hasn't agreed. I should let her listen to this to show her how great it would sound if she did. I guess that would mean I'd have to sing better too, though. -- Oh, the song. Love the guitar and harmonization. Color Score: Violet -- Combination of Blue (guy) and Pink (girl). Good mix.

Paco Del Stinko - The Returning Champion for this week. Heeyyyyyy niiiice guitar riff. Lyrics are good too. You, good sir on are fire so far. Color Score: Red - the color of freakin' FIRE.

Soda Machine - Ok, I was into the song until the chorus. What... the... ass? Did you have a seizure or something? Color Score: Teal, cause... well, I'm running out of colors, and this song is alright, but nothing really special, and I need to use Teal somewhere...

Rabid Garfunkel - Catchy start. The keyboard is a little loud in the mix--maybe you intended. Color Score: Gray - The color of my keyboard at home.

Ross Durand - Like the intro. The kind of stuff I expect and like from you. Good song. Color Score: Dark Blue - Not sure why. Just seems to fit to me.

WSA - What an intro! The very first part reminds me of the Moon level on the NES game Ducktales. Love the tonal quality of the guitar. I guess I'm just a bit partial to you guys, but, I mean, come on, individually you guys are great on SongFight--it's just not fair when you get together.Color Score - Orange, the best color ever.

Wreckdom - Very nice intro. Kinda Bush, Kinda Chili Peppers. Color Score: Salmon - Because I honestly have run out of colors. But it's a good song.
"Out of all I've learned in Life,
You always keep your friends close to your heart,
cause they'll help you if you're falling down..."
- The Ataris - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

BoffoYux wrote: John Kloberdanz
You said it's an Alt 80's mix.. but it felt like a odd 60's mix between Peter, Paul & Mary and Zager & Evans with a fast paced 70's Harry Chapin riff tossed in for good measure. Didn't jell for me.
After I read this, I thought, was I not obvious enough? Should I not have thrown in a couple more "oh oh oh's", I thought I overdid it.
Rabid Garfunkel wrote: John Kloberdanz
Damnit, now I've got to dig out "How Soon is Now". Good Morrissey there.
PHEW!

The short story is that Mrs. J-Klo and I are in the car last week on vacation listening to my recently reactivated XM radio when "William, It Was Really Nothing" comes on. We both REALLY like The Smiths and I was already working on a theme for Round 1 so I promised her I would write her a song inspired by The Smiths, it even gives meaning to having the "u" in Colourblind.

My comments on songs coming at lunch today. I agree with the crowd, really good songs in this round!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I will get to reviews later but some idle comments:

Rabid Garfunkel:

She stole the rainbows from the sky
And now she wears them in her eyes

I have been suffering from some sinus induced hearing difficulties recently. But the nausea caused by these lines has resulted in a projectile vomiting of such magnitude that that all Eustachian tube difficulties have passed. Thank you

Frankie Big Face:
Your song has a chorus. I know you call it a "refrain" - but to the musically illterate like me - it is a chorus. Now - as a judge, I place the same weight on these challenges as I did as a competitor - ie - sod all. So, you obviously put some thought into how you wrote this - and for you, there was no chorus - so, that is fine by me too. You pass. BUT - your song is an otherwise good song that is ruined by that insipid "refrain"! I won't mark you down for having a chorus - but I will mark you down for having a dumb chorus.

DJ Ranger Den:
I gave you top marks last week because I could hear you. I CANT HEAR YOU.

WSA
first listen...this sucks
second listen...this is awesome

Moral of the story - good songs may be judged poorly because a good song grows on you. But don't worry - shit is pretty easy to spot straight up - no one will be ejected unfairly.

Boffo Yux Dudes:
These are quite possibly the worst lyrics I have ever heard in my life. Give yourself an uppercut. I liked you better when you sounded like me.

Ross Durand:
WTF is that thing in the solo. Take it out and smash it with a hammer.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

ahhh bugger it - I may as well finish off reviewing now:

Wreckdom:

This doesn't sound like Wreckdom. There's a chick. Wreckdom never sounded like the sort of guys that mixed with females. This isn't bad at all. Cool guitar. Could you introduce me to some chicks?

Luke Henley
Ahhhhh...now I remember why I have a "Luke Henley" lunchbox. Good to have you back Lukey boy.

Pop Machine
WTF?!?!

Odour of the Camambert or the stink of Brie?!?!?!

Camambert and Brie are very mild cheeses with very little odour. I WILL NOT STAND FOR random and unjustified disparaging of dairy products in song form. Oh yeah - the song as boring as shit too.

Paco del Stinko This is really good. Prick.

Merisan This is really good too. Pricks.

Jon Eric I fully appreciate your efforts at lyrical diversity - but seriously "You don't even have no working cones" is never going to work.

Johnny the Klob Your lyrics suck. Your music and vocals and arrangement are awesome. Worth a try - it worked for The Smiths

GlenRaph Competent. Not special.

Embers of Autumn please, just stop

Bram Tant The good thing about this is that the trite lyrical manure is only coming into one ear. That is the only good thing.

BLT This is pretty good.
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

Caravan Ray wrote:Embers of Autumn please, just stop
:( Yes sir.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

bambamoozle wrote:
The short story is that Mrs. J-Klo and I are in the car last week on vacation listening to my recently reactivated XM radio when "William, It Was Really Nothing" comes on. We both REALLY like The Smiths and I was already working on a theme for Round 1 so I promised her I would write her a song inspired by The Smiths, it even gives meaning to having the "u" in Colourblind.
Well - I guess I got it. I wrote my comments before I read this.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

EmbersOfAutumn wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Embers of Autumn please, just stop
:( Yes sir.
Sorry Embers. I know you can write - but that just isn't good enough. Entertain me.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Caravan Ray wrote:I will get to reviews later but some idle comments:
Ross Durand:
WTF is that thing in the solo. Take it out and smash it with a hammer.
I thought of saying that, compared to what you said about others, this comment isn't half bad. But i'm concerned that would just cause you to say something worse.

Will experiment with a different sound there, but with all the great guitarists in this thing, I knew i didn't want it to be a guitar and thought i would try to expand my sound pallette since, as you know, i am not a big user of keyboards in this way. If i find a new sound I may try a repost just for fun.

Or else i've just been listening to too much Yes lately.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Caravan Ray wrote:I will get to reviews later but some idle comments:

Boffo Yux Dudes:
These are quite possibly the worst lyrics I have ever heard in my life. Give yourself an uppercut. I liked you better when you sounded like me.
Someone got it. Bravo! You can't come up with lyrics that bad without a few rough drafts.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Ross wrote: Or else i've just been listening to too much Yes lately.
Just stop wearing the cape:
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Caravan Ray wrote:
It's hard for *me* to notice anything but that bitchin' keytar in there. :)

Concerning my lack of sound, I've heard about it from my songwriting partner too and it's an ongoing ick. I need to stop skin-of-my-assing the deadlines because the mixes suffer. :S I'm to do another mix as well. I know it matters-but-doesn't count so that's another Nur Ein thing to do for me today as well as finish up both sets o' reviews.. Add vocal levels monitoring to the stack of engineering troubles. Really I should adjust my mental deadline. Noted.
ThNks :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman

Post by bambamoozle »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Johnny the Klob Your lyrics suck. Your music and vocals and arrangement are awesome. Worth a try - it worked for The Smiths
I do enjoy Caravan Ray's reviews, which I realize opens me up to more abuse, but that's just part of being a songfighter!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

RangerDenni wrote:Concerning my lack of sound, I've heard about it from my songwriting partner too and it's an ongoing ick. I need to stop skin-of-my-assing the deadlines because the mixes suffer. :S I'm to do another mix as well. I know it matters-but-doesn't count so that's another Nur Ein thing to do for me today as well as finish up both sets o' reviews.. Add vocal levels monitoring to the stack of engineering troubles. Really I should adjust my mental deadline. Noted.
ThNks :)
Education may have been the round zero challenge, but it really never stops, does it?

NUR EIN!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Caravan Ray wrote:
OMG, I didn't think you were allowed to view such images down there! Maybe that's just Singapore. I'm still in therapy for all that Wakeman exposure as a kid.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

bambamoozle wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
I do enjoy Caravan Ray's reviews, which I realize opens me up to more abuse, but that's just part of being a songfighter!
Watch yourself Johnny - or I will be wanting a 500 word essay on the the brothers of William the Conqueror and their impact on popular music on my desk by lunchtime.
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by bambamoozle »

Caravan Ray wrote: Watch yourself Johnny - or I will be wanting a 500 word essay on the the brothers of William the Conqueror and their impact on popular music on my desk by lunchtime.
Gulp! :shock:
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

Caravan Ray wrote:
bambamoozle wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
Watch yourself Johnny - or I will be wanting a 500 word essay on the the brothers of William the Conqueror and their impact on popular music on my desk by lunchtime.
Easier would be a dissertation on Henry VIII and his impact on popular music...

..I am, I am...
Calliopeva
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Singing and lyricist. I own 2 keyboards, a lap harp, 3 recorders and a guitar, and I doodle on them
Recording Method: M-audio mic and Audacity mostly. HP computer.
Submitting as: Calliopeva

Post by Calliopeva »

Caravan Ray did not review our song...should I be happy or worried?
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Caravan Ray wrote:Just discussed this with my mother-in-law who is a retired music teacher.
Frankie ain't retired.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

EmbersOfAutumn wrote: Easier would be a dissertation on Henry VIII and his impact on popular music...

..I am, I am...
Yes of course - Henry VIII was a fine lyricist and musician indeed. As much as I try - I cannot convince the other judges to agree to the Henry VIII Challenge where your all have to write music to one of Mr Tudors lyrics.

Lusty Youth should us ensue has always been my favourite:

Lusty Youth should us ensue,
His merry heart shall sure all rue.
For whatsoever they do him tell
It is not for him, we know it well.

http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/lustyyouth.htm
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Calliopeva wrote:Caravan Ray did not review our song...should I be happy or worried?
Ooops sorry.

Main point - It was way better than lasts weeks. It wasn't bad.
It wasn't good. But it wasn't bad.