Nur Ein VI Round Two "Blame It On Ginger

There can be only one.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Re: Nur Ein VI: Round Two

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

frankie big face wrote:Wow. Was I an asshole to you? I don't remember that, but I guess it's possible.
Not trying to start shit - just sayin'. :) I have to defend my high-bandwidth connection pride, you know.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Glen's song can be heard at http://www.box.net/shared/4pigvdgud0

Tom
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

If you tried before at that link, the full file is now online. Something weird happened that cut it off...

Tom
Calliopeva
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Singing and lyricist. I own 2 keyboards, a lap harp, 3 recorders and a guitar, and I doodle on them
Recording Method: M-audio mic and Audacity mostly. HP computer.
Submitting as: Calliopeva

Post by Calliopeva »

Just got home an hour or so ago. Were you able to get to Calebs song link that Dantes posted (thanks Bram!)? My husband helped me figure out what got screwed up in the original version recording ( I should have awakened him when it didn't sound right on the speakers, but he was so tired...)

Anyway, here are the lyrics to the song we INTENDED to submit

Blame it on (the) ginger

I’ve got a little problem-
Well it’s really not small
I’ve gained a little weight
It’s not a little at all
Once I was so slender I could wear a size ten
I think you should admit it’s been a few years since then

Blame it on the ginger, blame it on the spice,
Blame it on the cakes and pies that taste so nice!
Blame it on McDonalds- or Chicken of the Sea!
And the fact that nothing yummy ever comes fat free-
Blame it on my taste buds, but don’t blame me!

I think I know the reason why the pounds always stay
When it comes to choc’late you cannot walk away
My grandmother was large so I can blame it on genes!
Or maybe it’s the fact your plate is always wiped clean

Blame it on temptation, but don’t blame me!

So many lovely foods
So little exercise too
I want to try them all!
What did your doctor tell you?
Gingerbread and mashed potatoes, holiday roast
You would do much better with some grapefruit and toast

The junk you ate today
Is gonna make you pay...

So now I poke my finger
Every morning and night
I’m sweeter than I should be
And your livers a fright
The doctor said to diet so I’ll start right away
Finally! You’re coming round to thinking my way!

Just as soon as I can finish off
This last sorbet!

(spoken) Good Grief!

Blame it on my sense of taste, but don’t blame me!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Gosh, the contenders are practically eliminating themselves!

I haven't listened yet, but I will tonight and tomorrow afternoon. Some of the lyrics look promising; others not so much.

NUR EIN!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
dantes
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, vocals
Recording Method: Cubase 5 LE / Audacity / Garageband, Tascam US-122MKII, AT2020 mic
Submitting as: Bram Tant

Post by dantes »

Manhattan Glutton wrote: Bram Tant - I've liked your guitar and bass tones so far. Vocals leave a little to be desired - sounds like you're singing quietly so people can't hear you. You have a good voice - just let loose a little. Your voiceovers are OK but I wouldn't over use them.
"guitar and bass tones" -> Do you mean the sound or what I'm playing? The vocals leave a lot to be desired in my opinion, wrote and recorded very quickly at night and was being very quiet so as not to disturb anyone. That's the problem with last-minute songwriting and recording. :P Already had the music beforehand, so that wasn't a problem.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

dantes wrote:"guitar and bass tones" -> Do you mean the sound or what I'm playing?
I suppose both, but I meant the former. I've liked all your songs so far except for the vocal/compositional aspect; you're jamming some cool riffs and it sounds all nice, but it seems like you don't know what to do after that. That's just my impression, anyway, so take that with a grain of salt.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Sorry i haven't done reviews the first two rounds, but i got some time for this. All written on the first listen. But first some general comments. Usually i hold high in my reviews a) how well the title was addressed and b) how well the challenge was addressed. But in this case i felt i couldn't assess either very strongly. Partly because i have absolutely no way of knowing whether any of this is autobiographical so i can't judge how well a writer did on writing in that context. If the challenge is change time signatures, or use similes, or whatever, i can begin to try to assess the differing skill at which those things are done. Secondly, in terms of the title, since in an autobiography names can be changed, the Ginger piece could be totally inconsequential. Pick a girl you can blame something on and change her name to ginger. So i tended to favor songs where the use of the word ginger was more consequential. Just my bias, but a sotr of non-binding title in that way. That having been said, here are my thoughts.

Blt - i like the bass-vocals unison line. The delivery seems a bit tentative or halfhearted for some reason. I love that you include the phrase, "the girls can't help it" - one of the great rock n roll movies. Nice break down. Nice to hear one of your more tonal vocals here even there is still that anything-could-happen feel to them. Solid entry. 8

Boffo - well, lyrically and conceptually you lost me. The fact that this has basically no music/words connection has lost me. I'm glad you turned something in. I would have placed this very low. 2

Bram Tant -from the outset I would have liked a less sloppy delivery. The bass line is really cool, especially along with the guitar. Over the instruments, the vocal seems detached and slapped on both conceptually and technicaly. Hmm, needed more levels or focus or.... Yeah, just doesn't grab, but feels like there is something underneath there that could have. 3

Dj ranger den - the patter style vocals grab nice at the beginning. The cello is a nice touch. At the I could blame you, part, it feels like you are stretching for something in the changes. This is pretty interesting. Nice minor change going into the bridge. I feel like structurally you are much stronger than you were a year ago. Not my thing, but i think you are safe. 6

Frankie Big Face - interesting aesthetic from the outset. By about a minute in i am finding the hard panned cymbals a little distracting. I'll take your word that this is factually autobiographical, although i'll admit the second verse seems a bit too good to be true, or is it factually metaphorically true? Hmmmm. Oh, then your bridge comes along. Interesting defense. Very solid, a bit dramatic, but i guess that was the goal. Well done, if melodramatic :-) 7

John Kloberdanz - ooh, a rocker! This gets a bit monotonous, especially because of the combination of a melody with little movement and the similarity of the verse to the chorus. Some of the words are interesting, but the music works against keeping my interest in the them. 4

Joneric - i am slightly bothered by the way this challenge can be met by replacing any person's name with the name ginger. You are just one of many. Pretty good rapping. The stutter line is great. Nice looping production, as well. Good job 8

Luke Henley - I am amused we both mention Sapporo by name. A lot of catchy bits, some good rhymes (therapist). Reminds me of Replacements era alt rock in a good way. The last verse has some nice bright eyes-ey words. Nice song 6

MG - wow. Nice and fat. You play your own drums? Radio ready! Too bad there's not a spice girl called Ginger Spice. Ooh, sorry, i kinda hate the way you deliver the "Numero Uno" line. Hookey and solid. Unfortunately, i think one of the weaker title/challenge combos. A candidate for the top spot this week i think, depending on how the judges see things. 9

Merisan - a very sweet and sweetly delivered song. Clearly safe 8
ps, do you mean ginger ale or is there a drink ingredient i am missing?

Paco - crap. Why am i in this fight? Love the riffage!! I wish i loved the words more, but i get the sentiment. Clearly moving on. 8

WreckdoM - lovin the Theremin. Other than that, not lovin this so much. I appreciate what you're going for here, but it got pretty abrasive. - perhaps that was your goal. But i don't see me listening to this again by choice. as far as the challenge, am i really supposed to believe you broke up over the overuse of ginger in stew? I guess, like all of these, i will have to take you at your word. 3

WSA - nice exposed opening. So i'm guessing she would have chosen Gilligan? Hmm, this is a true story? I am trying to imagine which band member's life it is from. I am guessing Ken. Well done. I especially appreciate its simplicity in the context of the title/challenge set-up. Congrats on your immunity - gracefully done and a high standard set for immunity contributions.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
dantes
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Cubase 5 LE / Audacity / Garageband, Tascam US-122MKII, AT2020 mic

Post by dantes »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:
dantes wrote:"guitar and bass tones" -> Do you mean the sound or what I'm playing?
I suppose both, but I meant the former. I've liked all your songs so far except for the vocal/compositional aspect; you're jamming some cool riffs and it sounds all nice, but it seems like you don't know what to do after that. That's just my impression, anyway, so take that with a grain of salt.
Yeah, I have to agree on that, I've been doing poorly on that front so far, there are several reasons for that... Difficult titles/challenges to write lyrics for in my opinion, leading to lack of inspiration... Lack of time, since I always start working on my entry too late... Especially this week, because I was busy all week long watching the world championship snooker. I know it's no excuse... :P So far for each of the three song it's been a mix of those two reasons, more of the latter for the first two and more of the former for the last. I definitely feel like I could turn them into decent songs if I rewrote the lyrics (pretty much scrapping those I have now, I think) and re-recorded vocals (and music where necessary).

As for the sound, I've just been playing my badly setup Epiphone Les Paul Standard and also badly setup Squier Fender Standard Jazz Bass through the Tascam US-122MKII interface I got about 6 months ago and using a few effects in Garageband. Nothing special, to the contrary. And I always put in a lot of effort into the music (compared to lyrics) and draw a lot from earlier work (the guitar part from this round's was something I'd been working on for a while and used simply because I couldn't come up with anything new).
Ross wrote: Bram Tant -from the outset I would have liked a less sloppy delivery. The bass line is really cool, especially along with the guitar. Over the instruments, the vocal seems detached and slapped on both conceptually and technicaly. Hmm, needed more levels or focus or.... Yeah, just doesn't grab, but feels like there is something underneath there that could have. 3
Yeah. Just quickly wrote and recorded something just to have some lyrics/vocals to try to meet the challenge. That criticism is completely justified.

This is a problem I have with all songwriting competitions I've participated in so far... It's very hard for me to get started on them and get something done more than a day in advance. Hence I usually suffer from serious time and recording constraints. :/
Last edited by dantes on Mon May 02, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Ross wrote:ps, do you mean ginger ale or is there a drink ingredient i am missing?
Yes, ginger ale.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

dantes wrote:Nothing special, to the contrary.
You've got good equipment and don't ruin it with FX; that's half the battle! In my mind, anyway. Lots of people have crappy equipment, and lots of people have good equipment they don't know how to use. I can relate on the lyrical front.
Ross wrote:MG - wow. Nice and fat. You play your own drums? Radio ready! Too bad there's not a spice girl called Ginger Spice. Ooh, sorry, i kinda hate the way you deliver the "Numero Uno" line. Hookey and solid. Unfortunately, i think one of the weaker title/challenge combos. A candidate for the top spot this week i think, depending on how the judges see things. 9
Thanks Ross! I don't record live drums; I've just gotten pretty decent at faking it. Title... well, I do have a good reason for saying ginger, but it's not something I want to share.
Last edited by Manhattan Glutton on Mon May 02, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dantes
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by dantes »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:
dantes wrote:Nothing special, to the contrary.
You've got good equipment and don't ruin it with FX; that's half the battle! In my mind, anyway. Lots of people have crappy equipment, and lots of people have good equipment they don't know how to use. I can relate on the lyrical front.
I wouldn't call my guitars good. They're sufficient for now, let's say that. I do like the recording equipment I got at the end of last year, before that I was recording through crappy computer microphones, but I'm still learning how to work with it, which this Nur Ein has been handy for. The main thing right now is figuring out how to record vocals and acoustic guitar well through that AT2020 mic. And I do agree that a lot of people mess up by overdoing effects.

Also, another thing I wanted to say, I wanted to record the guitar part for my round 2 song on acoustic guitar, since it's really an acoustic guitar part, but I couldn't because it was night already and so I had to use my electric guitar through DI. And in hindsight, I should've gotten an acoustic guitar with electric output...
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

dantes wrote:The main thing right now is figuring out how to record vocals and acoustic guitar well through that AT2020 mic.
I have that exact mic, but I just replaced it for vocals. For acoustic guitar you generally want 2 mics. I point the at2020 at the fretboard and the at2021 at the hole. Also, acoustic guitars with output just don't sound as good.
Last edited by Manhattan Glutton on Mon May 02, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

The website has been updated.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Ross wrote:
WSA - nice exposed opening. So i'm guessing she would have chosen Gilligan? Hmm, this is a true story?

The correct answer was glennny. Yes it's a true story. When I met Kari (now my wife of 6 years, mother of our 2 kids), one of the moments I scored points with her, was when she asked me the Ginger vs. Maryanne question. There was a beer commercial with the same question, and the correct answer was supposed to be Maryanne (according to the beer commercial). I couldn't lie, it was not a contest to me, I always had a crush on Ginger. This turned out to be the right answer. Later that evening, back at her place, she went to change then emerged in a red wig and Ginger style evening gown. Turns out she had recently been Ginger at a costume party. (She also had a little voodoo shrunken head doll of Maryanne, but that's another song)

I provided the story , but Frisbee crafted the lyrics.

There's some gems in this fight! I hope to do reviews later. If not, My favorite is Merisan!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Ross wrote: Joneric - i am slightly bothered by the way this challenge can be met by replacing any person's name with the name ginger. You are just one of many.
Yeah, I stressed about that, but as usual, I chose to err on the side that produces a better song overall. If I'd had to constrain my lyrics to an actual person named Ginger, I wouldn't have had much to say. In the end I decided that it would probably be fine because 1.) The song is autobiographical (and, I might add, very personal), and 2.) It fits the title "Blame It On Ginger." It all comes down to whether the judges think that the title is technically part of the challenge, or (as in most rounds) it exists independent of the challenge.

I'll take the lumps, though, if they cry foul. I'm still very pleased with how my track turned out.
Pretty good rapping. The stutter line is great. Nice looping production, as well. Good job 8
No looping, believe it or not. Everything except the drums was played live, and the drums were sequenced by hand.
I guess I'll take that as a compliment, though.

Thanks for the reviews!

Oh, and while I'm at it:
Ross wrote: MG - Too bad there's not a spice girl called Ginger Spice.
There was.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

glennny wrote:Ross wrote:
WSA - nice exposed opening. So i'm guessing she would have chosen Gilligan? Hmm, this is a true story?

The correct answer was glennny. Yes it's a true story. When I met Kari (now my wife of 6 years, mother of our 2 kids), one of the moments I scored points with her, was when she asked me the Ginger vs. Maryanne question. There was a beer commercial with the same question, and the correct answer was supposed to be Maryanne (according to the beer commercial). I couldn't lie, it was not a contest to me, I always had a crush on Ginger. This turned out to be the right answer. Later that evening, back at her place, she went to change then emerged in a red wig and Ginger style evening gown. Turns out she had recently been Ginger at a costume party.
nice! But you still haven't addressed the Gilligan question :-)
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Here y'all go.

Abbot & Hines - Pretty lame.

Billy's Little Trip - It's pretty good, everything is very tight and bounces along at a toe-tapping rate. I don't have much else to say.

Boffo Yux Dudes - I can't really understand what you're saying, but the lazy post-modern kind of thing is really not very interesting to me.

Bram Tant - Feels kind of meandering. Nothing really popping out at me or grabbing my interest.

DJ Ranger Den - I had a Guinness and ginger cake once, and I imagine this is probably about something equally amazing. The wordplay is nice, and I like the baking metaphor saying something more important approach, but ultimately it doesn't keep my attention for very long.

Frankie Big Face - You kind of sound like John Cameron Mitchell. But aside from that, this is pretty cool. Atmospheric and kind of creepy. Hits a groove with me. I really enjoy the bridge. This is so far the first song that really pricks my ears up. Could have maybe amped itself up to a slightly more energetic climax.

Glen Raphael - The sort of Happy Mondays by way of MIDI sound is not really impressing me. I feel like there's a party going on here, but it's a very non-energetic one.

John Kloberdanz - Driving pop rock. Well put together. Not altogether very exciting.

Jon Eric - Surprisingly decent flow. Still kind of a weird genre choice. I like the Dragnet reference, although it sort of cheats its way around the title. Pretty fun, though, all around.

Manhattan Glutton - Nice slab of power pop. Hopping chorus. Sounds like a good house party. Ginger is not a spice though. Like the harmonies.

Merisan - Really great harmonies. Good sense of movement, everything in balance, keeps bouncing along and the slide guitar adds nice color.

Paco del Stinko - I like the bass lines on this. The lyrics and the cheesy-sounding percussion don't do much for me. Other than that well-played and has a nice energy to it.

Ross Durand - I really like the chord changes in this, and the overall feel. I like the way it builds as it goes along. Very nice. Kind of silly, but also kind of mournful in a weird way.

The Worldly Self Assurance - Pretty, nice deceptively simple song. Great playing all around. Pop rock done right.

WreckdoM - I like the theremin action on this. Lyrically, pretty clever. I like "Don't overdo the root." Overall pretty good, but not blowing my mind.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Lunkhead wrote:
Ross wrote:ps, do you mean ginger ale or is there a drink ingredient i am missing?
Yes, ginger ale.
Does any one actually drink bourbon and ginger ale? And if they did - do you call ginger ale "ginger"? I like scotch and dry - I would never ask for scotch and ginger (I assume you also call it dry ginger ale over there?)

I think your song is fantastic. But the word "ginger" sticks out like dogs balls.

Blame it on soda, a few rocks and bourbon - would be a big improvement Or boredom, or moonlight, or hormones - anything but ginger.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Ross wrote: am i really supposed to believe you broke up over the overuse of ginger in stew? I guess, like all of these, i will have to take you at your word.
The song describes the first reoccurring argument I had with a previous girlfriend after we moved in together. Years after we broke up I'm speculating if the patterns that emerged in that initial rift set the tone for subsequent disagreements and their resolutions. In real life, after several episodes, she made some fried rice so gingery neither of us could eat it, and never made the dish again afterwards. I still don't know why she took it so personal, but I really don't care for ginger.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Blame it on Ginger

Luke Henley- Wow! I’m starting to get why Pete holds you in such high regard. This is obviously a poor recording. The lyrics and the melody are sooo engaging. “..Time to slow dance and listen to some Lou Reed” is my favorite line of the fight. It’s amazing to me how refreshing this is. There’s clearly no click track, but all of the tempo fluctuations serve the song. The dynamics are perfect. Well placed silence and frenetic. How do we get you to do a good recording? Excellent song!

Merisan- Flawless. Erin, the lyrics and vocals, and harmonies are wonderful! Lunkhead, The chords and swingin playing is fantastic. The slide solo, is by far the best solo of the fight. The drums are good, but I wish you would have hit up Zabor. This is just wonderful! I think it should win this round!

Frankie Big Face- In all seriousness, I appreciate the large file. 11Mb file to me means you care what the drums sound like. I love hearing all of the nuances of the brushes across the snare, the cymbals that actually decay. I just love this track. It doesn’t work as well when I’m rockin down the highway, but middle of the night headphone listening, this is divine. I really like the cello line, but I do yearn slightly for a bass guitar. Probably in addition, not replacing. I like the bridge: Listening, History, Mystery rhymes. Unfortunately, you and Jon Eric both did the “some of the names have been changed” which decreases the value for both of you. (Saturated market). Anyway, that’s all nit pickin. Great track!

Paco del Stinko- Killer riff! Killer solo! I like everything about this recording. What keeps this from the top spot is the melody. I don’t find it as catchy as most of your work. Don’t get me wrong, this is great, and I like listening to this repeatedly, but I’m a PDS fan, and this is good but not sublime. I thought Colourblind was sublime, I’m still listening to that song every day since its release. I won’t be surprised if you win this round either.

Ross Durand- Great folk song! I only have the one small logical problem. Shouldn’t you blame it on alcohol? I don’t get why you’re blaming it on ginger. This is where I wish I didn’t understand the lyrics. It’s a great recording. The acoustic sounds awesome. The playing is dynamic and interesting and pretty. The melody is great. Your voice sounds fantastic. Cool song.

Billy’s Little Trip- Wow! I’ve been listening all day in the truck. Writing reviews I have the headphones on. This really pops with headphones. I’m loving the bass line and bass playing! Killer riffs! Wonderful grooves. “girl can’t help it” reminds me of Journey: “Girl can’t Help it”, only because of the words. This is great, I think the chorus could be catchier, but this is at the top of the bunch. My favorite part is the vocal doubling the bass on “ ….stick together we could make it far. You’ve heard “the Jazz Discharge Party Hats” off of Man from Utopia? This is a keeper. Well done!

DJ Ranger Den- Nice! Love the strings. I really like the chord changes. There is an atrocity of verbosity. I think that’s kind of your thing, but I like it best when you hold notes longer. I don’t walk away from this humming a melody, I just remember liking the listening experience. This is my favorite of your 3. Good job! Piano playing is great! I like your voice too!

Manhattan Glutton- Production is awesome! I accidentally had this on repeat in my car. It made me realize that I didn’t know where it started and when it ended. I was going to slam you for having 9 verses, but it turns out it was on repeat. Shouldn’t a song have a beginning and an end? This song rocks. But it rocks at level 81 (insert any level you want) any stays at level 81 all song. This is the opposite of the Luke Henley song. I like you voice a lot, but I wish it wasn’t so dead pan. I have to admit I had a Manhattan Glutton listening party today to familiarize myself with your Song Fight body of work. Good stuff! The 8th note down stroke is certainly your thing. It’s no wonder you are often bother by my music (I rarely do that). Anyway, this seems phoned in. It’s a back handed compliment, you can phone in some great stuff. I think you can do better. See you next round.

Wreckdom- This is zany! This makes me smile. Hey tasty solo! This is a fun listen. It’s a bit loose, but still grooves. This should go on that Song Fight cooking/food album. The vocal melody could be a bit catchier. This is a fun romp!

Jon Eric- Overall I like this. I like the story. For a rap composition, this sure has a hard time finding a groove. This reminds me of a poor man’s Bruce Hornsby, and with the “rap” it is therefore a poor man’s “Tu-Pac”. At least this is a catchy chorus. I don’t think you nailed it though. I dig the organ. The drums leave a lot to be desired. It’s the catchy chorus that elevates this to where I have it. I also really like how much you are selling the verses even though the flow could use a lot of help.

John Kloberdanz- Not a bad little driving rocker. I wish the chorus was more of a departure from the verse. This seems like a very safe entry. Not very ambitious, but solid. I like your voice and vocal delivery, but could really use an emotional lift at some point. The solo was a welcome change up. See you next round!

Glen Raphael- You are number 3. I am the new number 2. Who is number one? Number one was the only one in the 1st one. The bass is bad ass! The flangey synth is a little annoying but fun. I like the sax when it comes in. The vocals are way too hot. The vocals are piercingly crisp, headache inducing. Not many notes in this vocal melody. The song feels undercooked. You should live, but I think you can do much better.

Bram Tant- Why are there no drums? This style does not lend itself to be drumless. The guitar line isn’t bad. The bass is okay. The whole song is undercooked. Sounds like you were pressed for time. The melody isn’t doing anything for me. I don’t like the guitar tone, and that’s the most interesting part. Sorry, I don’t like this, but you know this is underdeveloped.

Abbott and Hines- Now the deadline has passed, will we ever hear the real song you wrote? Not much of a song really. It bums me out when you guys don’t even try.

Boffo Yux Dudes- Horrible Mix. Pretty much unlistenable. If the vocals weren’t there the backing tracks might be interesting.

WSA- Well, as mentioned, this is part of my autobiography. Thanks to Frisbee for crafting the excellent lyrics! Melvin is a genius. We gave him a lot of tracks and he orchestrated them amazingly. These guys are all genius. I’m very lucky to be making music with these guys. This time the duties went Frisbee: Lyrics, Melody, acoustic, vocals, killer country lick. Melvin: Bass, harmonies, production. Pedro: Keys, rhythm guitar, Glock. Ken: drums. Glennny (me): Banjo, E-bow banjo, guitar solo. I absolutely love this song. I’m way too close to it. I hope you all enjoy it.

Were I a judge:
1- Luke Heneley
2- Merisan
3- Frankie Big Face
4- Paco del Stinko
5- Ross Durand
6- BLT
7- DJ Ranger Den
8- Manhattan Glutton
9- Wreckdom
10- Jon Eric
11- John Kloberdanz
12- Glen Raphael
13- Bram Tant

which cuts-

14- Abbot and Hines
15- Boffo Yux Dudes

sorry to see Rabid G default.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

glennny wrote: Frankie Big Face- In all seriousness, I appreciate the large file. 11Mb file to me means you care what the drums sound like. I love hearing all of the nuances of the brushes across the snare, the cymbals that actually decay. I just love this track. It doesn’t work as well when I’m rockin down the highway, but middle of the night headphone listening, this is divine. I really like the cello line, but I do yearn slightly for a bass guitar. Probably in addition, not replacing. I like the bridge: Listening, History, Mystery rhymes. Unfortunately, you and Jon Eric both did the “some of the names have been changed” which decreases the value for both of you. (Saturated market). Anyway, that’s all nit pickin. Great track!
Thanks man. I thought about adding a bass and I recognize that the song lacks punch when it needs it. The drums are samples and I wonder if I could have pulled it off with a real drummer. I'm glad you think the cello is okay. I'm not a cellist and it took a long time to record even a passable track.

As for the lyrical disclaimer--what can any of us possibly do when put in this impossible situation? An autobiographical song called "Blame it on Ginger" is a pretty tall order if you don't know anyone named Ginger and/or you haven't had any life-changing experiences with the root or the pop. So I just drew upon personal experiences, embellished a little, dramatized a lot and voilà. Thanks for the positive vibes.