Nur Ein VII Round Zero "Breaking The Ice"

There can be only one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Nur Ein VII: Round Zero

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote:My rankings are as follows:

(I will listen to these and rate as I go - rankings will change)

1. Ligers with Attitude - this is awesome. You win.
2. Chocolate Chips: This grew on me the more it went. I like it.
3. Frankie Big Face - cool vox FBF! I have a grumpy curmudgeon surrounding me in my headphones! I like this. Nice crappy guitar sound too. I approve.
4. DJ Ranger Den - excellent Den. This is reminding me of the Triffids for some reason - one of my favourite bands of all time - but they had a deep voiced Perthling singer, not a girlie - whatever accent you have is - but, I like this a lot
5. BGM: Well done. I was entertained.
6. Idiot Kings: THis is pretty cool - I like it. DISCLAIMER: This some how missed making it to my iPod with the other songs - so I have only heard it through the dodgy speakers of my laptop. You are getting some benefit of the doubt
7. Snappy and Floyd: This is pretty damn good. Very entertaining
8. Rabid Garfunkel: You zagged. It got me. A Tom Waite-esqe ice-breaking saga will always get my attention
9. Chris Coggott: Good work and true to form. Let's hear you do better
10. Jon Eric: Very well performed
11. Ross Durand: Adequate
12. Sausage: Likewise, adequate
13. Wreckdom: I expect better
14. ADD - After I solve this Rubik's Cube, I'm gonna watch Family Ties then play some Pacman.
15. Boffyux Dudes: I liked the sound of it - but lost interest in the story pretty quickly
16. Joanne Abbott: Poorly executed (NB. I originally wrote "poorly executed, but I liked your singing - which is of course nonsensical for an a'capella song - but I am not quite sure how else to put that - I did like your singing - but this really didn't work) - but interesting enough for me to rate it higher than it probably deserves and wonder what you will do next.
17. Merisan: Not your best
18. WSA - Disappointing
19. Adamadamant - Welcome back Mr Ant. You can do a lot better than this. Is that a ukulele? WTF is it with ukuleles? Are you Polynesian? If not - put the Uke down. (I'm looking at you too Cashpoint)
20. Oystercatcher: Dull
21. Manhattan Glutton: I liked the bass sound. That is all I liked.
22. Gooey Caramel centaur: The mouth noises put me off. And the singing is pretty dodgy.
OK - my rankings are finalised.

I spent the day driving around the Darling Downs inspecting free-range poultry farms. Sniffing duck and turkey shit and listening to this stuff on my iPod.

Make of that what you will.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

supremeedible wrote: Ligers With Attitude
Ha! Brilliant band name!
Ha! I was thinking there was a joke there but I couldn't work out what it was. It is only when I saw you write that it finally hit me. Yes - I am a bit slow. My head was thinking "Tiglon" something or other....
It is a great name.

EDIT:

I should add - I also think:
Gooey Caramel Centaur
is a great name. So my opinion is probably worth little. (but it does crack me up - well done)
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

supremeedible wrote: Frankie Big Face
I have nothing critical to say about this. Ok, that's a lie. You kinda shirked the challenge imo.
How do you figure? Because the shouting isn't more prominent in the mix? Or because it's not "significant" enough? Just curious.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

supremeedible wrote: Genevieve Something Something A heads up: "I'm not some creepy stalker" really loses any salt with an Australian accent.
I am curious. What do you mean by that?

I know is is Americanised-type speech - but it is also fairly natural and common type speech heard on the streets of Sydney or Auckland. Why can't I say it in an Australian accent? I notice your lyrics are not all about chilly-bins full of pineapple lumps bro?

This interests me - because I do try very hard to write the way I speak - ie - as a modern Australian who uses vernacular naturally - not as a Steve Irwin-esqe gimmick.
I would rather sing: "I'm not some creepy stalker" , than "By jingos, I'm no flash cove skylarking about with sheilas!!!" or some other antipodean atrocity.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

frankie big face wrote:
I have nothing critical to say about this. Ok, that's a lie. You kinda shirked the challenge imo.
How do you figure? Because the shouting isn't more prominent in the mix? Or because it's not "significant" enough? Just curious.
I didn't pay much attention to the shouting thing - I just noticed you sounded frikkin scary in headphones. You were all around me. That was cool. And disturbing.
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages
Pronouns: he/him

Post by adamadamant »

supremeedible wrote: Adam Adamant
My first experience of Songfight! was when I decided to listen through the fight 501 when it was current. Yours was the first bearable song I heard, and the line "the Levenshtein distance from you to me is more than the length of our DNA" will be forever with me. Ah, memories.
Hah! Amazing. I always thought that was a nice line, if a little bit limited in its audience. Either people don't get it because they don't know what a Levenshtein Distance is or they think it makes no sense because they do :)
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Caravan Ray wrote:
frankie big face wrote:
I didn't pay much attention to the shouting thing - I just noticed you sounded frikkin scary in headphones. You were all around me. That was cool. And disturbing.
Cool. I decided to try on my low voice for size (with a little support from my high voice).

I just got a tweet from someone who said "good use of the challenge" (and no, it wasn't my mom). So I think I'm probably okay. Don't want to be disqualified for ignoring the challenge until I actually do ignore it!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

frankie big face wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
frankie big face wrote:
Cool. I decided to try on my low voice for size (with a little support from my high voice).

I just got a tweet from someone who said "good use of the challenge" (and no, it wasn't my mom). So I think I'm probably okay. Don't want to be disqualified for ignoring the challenge until I actually do ignore it!
I am one of the shoutiest people here - but I barely broke out of a whisper for this song - relying on an obscure regional definition of the word for my entry.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:I'm intensely curious to see if the entries that do not have shouting in them are going to get disqualified. I hope not, because some of them are really good, but at the same time, what's the point of having a non optional challenge if contestants don't go along with it?
Interesting comment. I am totally wit you on the question of the point of a non-optional challenge. I doubt they'll DSQ anyone in round zero. I have not heard all songs yet, but have to admit that I could not hear anything I thought of as shouting in the Merisan tune, which is really good and is getting ranked high by several non-judges. And honestly, for all the fun mde of rules clarification, someday someone really should define "significant" - I find it a tough parameter to work with and historically it doesn't seem to be of much meaning - might as well just say use of shouting.

Nur Ein
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Caravan Ray wrote: I am one of the shoutiest people here - but I barely broke out of a whisper for this song - relying on an obscure regional definition of the word for my entry.
Ohhhhhhh.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote: I am one of the shoutiest people here - but I barely broke out of a whisper for this song - relying on an obscure regional definition of the word for my entry.
Ohhhhhhh.
A song all about offering to buy somebody something is significant use of "shouting" as far as I am concerned.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Caravan Ray wrote:My rankings are as follows:
11. Ross Durand: Adequate
Whatever gets me into round one!

Nur Ein
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Ross wrote:
Geoff WreckdoM wrote:I'm intensely curious to see if the entries that do not have shouting in them are going to get disqualified. I hope not, because some of them are really good, but at the same time, what's the point of having a non optional challenge if contestants don't go along with it?
Interesting comment. I am totally wit you on the question of the point of a non-optional challenge. I doubt they'll DSQ anyone in round zero. I have not heard all songs yet, but have to admit that I could not hear anything I thought of as shouting in the Merisan tune, which is really good and is getting ranked high by several non-judges. And honestly, for all the fun mde of rules clarification, someday someone really should define "significant" - I find it a tough parameter to work with and historically it doesn't seem to be of much meaning - might as well just say use of shouting.

Nur Ein
To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been outright disqualified from Nur Ein for any reason other than failing to turn in a song before the deadline. However, songs that don't satisfy the challenge adequately are subject to lower rankings by the jury, at each judge's own discretion. Some judges take the challenges more seriously than others. I recall, for instance, when Ross was a judge, he wasn't afraid to dock a few ranks from otherwise good songs for failing to meet the challenge (or, in one case, the title) to his satisfaction.

Seeing as the only real penalty comes in the form of your rankings, then it seems that there was no real risk involved in failing to heed the challenge at all in Round 0, unless you assumed that eliminations would be occurring this round (attendance greater than 25). Seeing as the last time that happened was in 2007, I think most of us would have been surprised. That does effectively mean that challenge-shirkers get a freebie in Round 0 (and if they're as professional-sounding as Merisan or Chris Cogott, probably the first few rounds after that), but eschewing the challenge will eventually come back to haunt you if you do it indiscriminately.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

I believe I was disqualified for not meeting the challenge a few years ago for my "Whale" song. But I didn't really care--that was a good song and I wasn't about to ruin it with pots and pans. :roll:
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote:
Ross wrote:

Nur Ein
To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been outright disqualified from Nur Ein for any reason other than failing to turn in a song before the deadline. However, songs that don't satisfy the challenge adequately are subject to lower rankings by the jury, at each judge's own discretion. Some judges take the challenges more seriously than others. I recall, for instance, when Ross was a judge, he wasn't afraid to dock a few ranks from otherwise good songs for failing to meet the challenge (or, in one case, the title) to his satisfaction.

Seeing as the only real penalty comes in the form of your rankings, then it seems that there was no real risk involved in failing to heed the challenge at all in Round 0, unless you assumed that eliminations would be occurring this round (attendance greater than 25). Seeing as the last time that happened was in 2007, I think most of us would have been surprised. That does effectively mean that challenge-shirkers get a freebie in Round 0 (and if they're as professional-sounding as Merisan or Chris Cogott, probably the first few rounds after that), but eschewing the challenge will eventually come back to haunt you if you do it indiscriminately.
To the best of my knowledge - the judges are generally idiots who don't know their arses from their elbows. That is why they usually chuck me out about round 3.

Obviously though - this years are the exception. Fine upstanding gentlemen all with exquisite taste.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

At least 2 of them are returning judges.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

frankie big face wrote:I believe I was disqualified for not meeting the challenge a few years ago for my "Whale" song. But I didn't really care--that was a good song and I wasn't about to ruin it with pots and pans. :roll:
That was during my extended absence from the Songfight community, so I had to go back and check the thread, but it seems that you were not actually "disqualified." You just got ranked lower by the judges for (among other reasons) misinterpreting the challenge. It's actually kind of difficult to tell what role was played by your interpretation of the challenge; of the three judges who posted reviews, none of them actually verbalized any complaint about your dinnerware sound effects. It seems most of them were complaining about the skit-like aspects of the track interfering with their enjoyment of the songs.

Even so, if the challenge interpretation was the deal-breaker, it still turned out the way I described above - rather than being disqualified, your interpretation was reflected in your ranking.

I really like that way of dealing with the problem, because it gives more agency to the judges. I recall there was a minor controversy in Spintunes once when a well-liked song was disqualified on a technicality, and I don't see any reason why a song shouldn't progress if the judges all actually agree that it should.

Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

Generic wrote:
frankie big face wrote:I believe I was disqualified for not meeting the challenge a few years ago for my "Whale" song. But I didn't really care--that was a good song and I wasn't about to ruin it with pots and pans. :roll:
That was during my extended absence from the Songfight community, so I had to go back and check the thread, but it seems that you were not actually "disqualified." You just got ranked lower by the judges for (among other reasons) misinterpreting the challenge. It's actually kind of difficult to tell what role was played by your interpretation of the challenge; of the three judges who posted reviews, none of them actually verbalized any complaint about your dinnerware sound effects. It seems most of them were complaining about the skit-like aspects of the track interfering with their enjoyment of the songs.

Even so, if the challenge interpretation was the deal-breaker, it still turned out the way I described above - rather than being disqualified, your interpretation was reflected in your ranking.

I really like that way of dealing with the problem, because it gives more agency to the judges. I recall there was a minor controversy in Spintunes once when a well-liked song was disqualified on a technicality, and I don't see any reason why a song shouldn't progress if the judges all actually agree that it should.
Ummm........Image
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Hey, I went to nurein.songfight.net to research that issue, and while I was there I figured I'd listen to that whole round, since I hadn't heard most of them before anyway. The link to Paco's song appears to be broken. Who would be in charge of investigating that?

Never mind, it turns out this is a problem affecting every Paco song on the site, and nobody else's. Must have something to do with his mp3 encoding technique not playing nice with my workplace's proxy server.

Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Don't forget to send your band photos.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

FYI I'm in the process of building a Nur Ein wiki infrastructure that will make upkeep (at least for me) a lot easier and allow integration with the rest of the wiki. After round 1, things should be working smoothly and I can focus on backporting previous ein's.
Breaking the Ice
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
supremeedible
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, but will attempt anything
Recording Method: Firepod + Audacity FTW
Submitting as: Gooey Caramel Centaur

Post by supremeedible »

frankie big face wrote:
I just felt that "I want to shout ..." is a bit of an obvious way to shoehorn shouting into the song. For all I know it works perfectly with your lyric, but it takes quite a few listens before I start really paying attention to the lyric of a song.

My song was certainly no better in this regard.

Caravan Ray wrote:
supremeedible wrote: Genevieve Something Something A heads up: "I'm not some creepy stalker" really loses any salt with an Australian accent.
I am curious. What do you mean by that?
I don't mean a lot, to be honest. Competing against an Australian makes me feel I can be a bit racist. I've done a bit of thinking over the years about the tendency to sing in an American accent no matter where you're from and I don't like it. I don't know if I'm good at letting my not-being-American come through when I'm singing, but I'm glad that you do, because I think it is right.

I'm really not a fan of the singing interspersed with talking thing though. Did I tell you to tag your mp3? My ipod didn't tell me your name.

And thank you for the honour of being your least favourite entry!