Nur Ein VII Round Three "Unexpected Guest"

There can be only one.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Re: Nur Ein VII: Round Three

Post by RangerDenni »

adamadamant wrote:The rules don't say you can't have a current competitor as a guest. Its like Battle Royale where they have to help each other out only to inevitably turn on each other.
this was awesome. you could oust your own self out of the competition! Drama!!!!! That'll keep you up at night and be one for the story books!
NUR EIN!!!
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Never realized just how thin the field is to pick from. Will make an addendum soon to help make this easier.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Once you've Nur-Ein-ed, you simply have to disappear, it would appear :)
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Anyone with multiple personality disorder should be pretty set. If your other personality had been in Nur Ein before (I'm looking in the southern hemisphere).
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

adamadamant wrote:The rules don't say you can't have a current competitor as a guest. Its like Battle Royale where they have to help each other out only to inevitably turn on each other.

Precedent stating that current competitors cannot be guests was set here: http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... &start=374

The "rule" was never formalized into the rules of the competition, and there's been at least one instance in which the rule was broken (while still an active contestant myself, I provided keyboards for Chris Cogott's "'97"). There was much wringing of hands over it, and the general consensus appeared to be that it wasn't a good idea. Though, it should be noted that Cogott and I both survived into the following round, placing third and fourth overall, respectively.

That said, if Niveous or any of the judges would like to issue a statement about whether the rule will be changing... ;)

Ross wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
Ross wrote:Jon, that list is epic - do you keep a secret database somewhere?
I thought my list was pretty good. And faster.
Your list was great, no slight intended, but his whole last seen stuff borders on stalker crazy, don't you think? :-)
"Last seen" probably wasn't the best choice of words (especially since a lot of the people who haven't fought in a while do continue to lurk). I was just collecting the last fight or sidefight in which that competitor was a participant. Also it should be noted that that information is subject to inaccuracies insofar as it applies to people who've submitted under multiple names.

Instances in which I've collected multiple names under the same line are drawn pretty much entirely from my own memory. It gets a little bit hazy with the Bay Area collective and the WSA, so here's my attempt at clearing it up.

Ken = Ken's Super Duper Band 'n' Stuff, or just Ken Mahru
Sam = Lunkhead
Sam + Erin = Merisan
Sam + Erin + Ken = Tiny Robots
Sam + Ken + Glennny + sometimes Erin + various other artists who don't have a board presence here = Berkeley Social Scene
Melvin = Melvin
Melvin + Furrypedro = Balance Lost/Balance Regained
Glennny + Thanks for the Frisbee = Thank Glennny for the Frisbee
Melvin + Furrypedro + Glennny + Thanks for the Frisbee (+ Ken, this year, apparently) = Worldly Self Assurance/WSA

I'm sure there are a few combinations I've forgotten, but that should be enough for anyone who is new to this community and unsure about who is and is not okay to contact.

I've also gone back and edited my original post to change a couple of inaccuracies (for instance, I had Boffo Yux Dudes listed as "current competitors," when in fact they just got eliminated, and I forgot to mention a couple of the other Nur Ein VII competitors who have already dropped out). This makes the list slightly better, but I still opine that this challenge is problematic.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Wed May 09, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

I hate Nur Ein
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:I hate Nur Ein
And Nur Ein hates you back, Geoff.

I can't wait to see who WreckdoM pulls out of their...

Well...

Looking forward to your entry, sir.

EDIT: Ooh! Now would be a great time to drag Cock out of the woodwork for that dream collaboration we've been talking about for years!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Haha! I had that same thought! Great minds think alike and so do ours!
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

roymond wrote:Anyone with multiple personality disorder should be pretty set. If your other personality had been in Nur Ein before (I'm looking in the southern hemisphere).
By "looking in the Southern Hemisphere" - are you referring to me? Or have you taken your trousers off and started talking in euphemisms again?

Anyway it won't work. Tex Beaumont is still in prison and Sid Denison was shot by a jealous husband. Although - Roman Brady did return to be the Salem Police Chief after being killed by Stefano DiMera - albeit as a completely different person - so, if I have learnt anything from Days of Our Lives, anything is possible.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Caravan Ray wrote: Although - Roman Brady did return to be the Salem Police Chief after being killed by Stefano DiMera - albeit as a completely different person - so, if I have learnt anything from Days of Our Lives, anything is possible.
Holy crap. Why did I completely get that reference? I've spent way too many bored afternoons in my life...
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Milo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Milo Dunderville

Post by Milo »

Wow, I made it on a list *and* I got bolded - how 'bout that? I was actually looking forward to participating this year but I'm out of town for three weekends in May and wasn't feeling the shouting thing so I took a pass.

Anyway, it looks like the rules might be changing but I'll throw out there that I'm around, have some time, and have a decent skill set that includes vocals, piano and bass. (I also have a not-quite-as-decent skill set that includes weird shit like banjo, any recorder from bass to sopranino, all kinds of percussion, and so on...)

BUT

This is one of those weekends - I'm going off the grid on Friday afternoon. If I can help anyone out in the next 55 hours or so, I'm happy to.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Creativity. Creativity. Creativity.

I understand that this is quite a hard challenge for some and hard for all since this is Mother's Day weekend.
But... it can be done.

For this round, we will allow team ups with current Nur Ein contestants (as long as they were a part of a previous Nur Ein)
But... each competitor needs to have an entry of their own

If that's too difficult, you can use a sample of a previous Nur Ein contestant
But... you still need to collab with someone else (i,e- a collaboration + a sample)

Hey, if Snoop can perform with Tupac at Coachella, you can figure something out.
Go forth and Nur Ein
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Niveous wrote:Creativity. Creativity. Creativity.

I understand that this is quite a hard challenge for some and hard for all since this is Mother's Day weekend.
But... it can be done.

For this round, we will allow team ups with current Nur Ein contestants (as long as they were a part of a previous Nur Ein)
But... each competitor needs to have an entry of their own

If that's too difficult, you can use a sample of a previous Nur Ein contestant
But... you still need to collab with someone else (i,e- a collaboration + a sample)

Hey, if Snoop can perform with Tupac at Coachella, you can figure something out.
Go forth and Nur Ein
Okay, if that's the case (and in the interest of good karma), I'll put out there that I'm willing to help with piano, organ, vocals, and a variety of other skills to whomever would like to ask.

Oh, and this is actually kind of off-topic, but does anyone (like, say, Frankie Big Face) have copies of that vibraphone sample that Frankie provided for the contestants in Nur Ein V, Round 4, "Not In This Lifetime?" Thanks.

Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I looked at the challenge, and almost said "fuck it, I'm going home". I have way too much shit going on in my life to deal with this.

Since then, I've warmed up to the idea a little bit.

I'm glad other people are freaking out, too.

I'd go on a vulgar, profanity-laden rant, but I don't want to be more embarrassed when I have to see you all in July.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:I looked at the challenge, and almost said "fuck it, I'm going home". I have way too much shit going on in my life to deal with this.

Since then, I've warmed up to the idea a little bit.

I'm glad other people are freaking out, too.
I had the same reaction. NE is already claiming a higher priority in my life than it deserves. But then, as ever, I had an idea.

Damn it.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

I can help someone out if they get something to me on the soon-er side. I'll give you a few ahhs or guitar things or whatnot.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

I will probably be pushing it just to get mine done, since I also have a mothers' day thursday deadline, but will try to help if I can.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

Ligers with Attitude and myself have already started via email/file exchanges. This is going to be fun!

Oystercatcher
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I'm not helping anyone. Screw you.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Good idea, when you can't even help yrself.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Caravan Ray wrote:I'm not helping anyone. Screw you.
In my current situation, screwing me actually might be helpful.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

j$ wrote:Good idea, when you can't even help yrself.
So we're now explicitly banning collaborations with past Nur Einers who are ourselves? Dang this is getting hard.